Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 39
Author
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/09 12:47:15 (permalink)
Haven't fished it yet. Running great on the break in. đź‘Ś
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 14:15:40 (permalink)
Fished Freeport this morning, caught one nice sauger and 2 bass. I think its going to be a tough summer on the river. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 14:51:55 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
Fished Freeport this morning, caught one nice sauger and 2 bass. I think its going to be a tough summer on the river. 

That was a sauger and 2 bass more than I caught at Arthur this morning.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 16:59:14 (permalink)
Took my new hobie kayak to Bridgeport dam for it's maiden voyage this morning. Caught carp, bluegill, crappie, and bass. All small. Think I caught my smallest carp ever actually. I don't think it was even 12 inches. Pedaled around for about 6 hours. I've got muscles cramping in my legs that I didn't even know I had. Powerbait atomic teaser chartreuse got most of the crappie and a nice bluegill.
post edited by FishinGuy - 2023/06/10 17:53:48
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 18:35:51 (permalink)
Porktown

Facebook says someone launched a jet ski in Arthur today, did you happen to catch that?

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 18:50:56 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
Facebook says someone launched a jet ski in Arthur today, did you happen to catch that?

Oh man. Missed that. Would have been fun to see.

It is Jeep weekend at the Cooper’s Lake. So a bit more crowded on the roads in the Moraine area.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 21:20:44 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
Porktown

I wonder if it's the same one that was one there last summer?
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/10 22:46:52 (permalink)
Tough bite on French creek today. The water level is super low and there is algae EVERYWHERE. Couldn’t throw anything without getting a bunch of crap on the bait every. single. cast. Barely any current anywhere, had a hard time locating fish, or maybe they were around but they were super spooky.

The Allegheny was about 80-90% covered with the same algae gunk when I was up there a a week or so ago, but I was still able to find some clean sections of the riverbed and did pretty well the afternoon I fished it. We only managed to put a couple in the kayaks today.

We need a heavy rain to wash this stuff off the riverbed.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 00:11:05 (permalink)
Fished near Pool 8 today. Skunked.

I've been on a pontoon boat, and can pick and choose where to go, but no luck yet. 

I am new to boat fishing. I have had bad luck most outings. I try to break the river down like a big trout stream and fish seams and slack pools and whatnot, but I don't think that's the right approach, or at least it's not working for me. Fishing from a boat is a steep learning curve and it's pretty overwhelming to be honest. Worrying about the anchor, drift, motor, etc, etc wears on my mind sometimes. I don't care what I catch - I just wanna feel the tug on the line. A nice fish will put all of that to ease I think.

Tried a KastMaster, Cleo, TRD Ned rigs, Bucca Bull Shad no dice. Some of the places are DEEP. Like 40+ feet in the middle. I stay away from that, and try to eye structure, pillars, peninsulas, etc. 

I did use a redworm off the dock, and got a nice nibble, missed it - but dinner was ready so called it. 

I may be overthinking it. Having a kid recently, I've been pretty rusty fishing in general these past 2 years so, I need to think back to the my teenage years with a **** Mr Twister, just tossing it out there and having some fun catchin walleye, sauger, etc. 
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 10:40:25 (permalink)
DeadGator401
I try to break the river down like a big trout stream and fish seams and slack pools and whatnot,

I’d say that’s the way to think about free flowing sections of a river like the Allegheny. But the pools are different. I think of it as more like a lake. There is alot less current, the bottom has been dredged and the river has been altered significantly from its natural state.

Some guys posted some great tips for fishing the river pools for me in a thread last summer. I put them to good use on a couple trips and I’d like to spend some more time figuring out the rivers this year. If you dig back through this thread around this time last summer you should find some helpful info.

When all else fails, there’s always live bait.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 11:13:18 (permalink)
DeadGator401

I may be overthinking it. Having a kid recently, I've been pretty rusty fishing in general these past 2 years so, I need to think back to the my teenage years with a **** Mr Twister, just tossing it out there and having some fun catchin walleye, sauger, etc. 

I did the same thing 16 years ago when I got my boat. Including a 6 month old at the time and another on the way 2 years after. You pretty much need to carve time out to fish and then the stupid things don’t cooperate, it seemingly gets more frustrating than it does enjoyment. You seem to be at the stage of boat ownership of realizing that your daydreams of slaughtering fish because you have a boat, are day dreams! Good to realize in your growth as a boat angler.

Can’t say that I can help much on Allegheny, but a few things that I picked up along the way. MOST waters in this area are practically dead from about now through the summer and into early fall. Unless obviously, you know what you are doing…. Which usually means specific spots, techniques, etc for specific species. I spent many years trying to force feed walleye during the middle of the day using advice from Erie anglers on inland lakes with very little success. I tried using others advice on those specific waters and still struggled. With 16 years of trial/error, specific tips from others and like said of using the knowledge you already have, I can usually catch some fish just about every timeout. But…. Many times that is not from my boat. Accept that some times the fishing is just better from shore. Take a few high confidence shore/wading trips to get your mojo back. Once you figure out some things, pound them. Don’t force feed unwilling fish. Take what the big guy upstairs is willing to give and enjoy. Change things up if you have a trusted source willing to show you their “easy fishing”.

Take live bait. I rarely use live bait now, but it works at times when they won’t touch lures. During the later fall when I target perch, they tend to suck on bait and spit before I can even tell they are there. They will often come back for the minnows and not the plastics. Even if it is for a “second rod” and you fish lures with the other. You will likely miss most fish on the live bait rod doing this, but if you see bites, put the lure rod away and fish the bait rod. Use enough weight just to hit bottom. If you waded and used 2 small split shots, don’t change to an once weight, but add another small shot or large one just to compensate for being above the water instead of below the water. Cast towards shore or set up just along shore. We all do well fishing from shore, since many fish are looking for baitfish that are often along shore. They will ambush from the first drop off. Don’t just think, since I have a boat, I can now go and fish these spots shore guys can’t. Sometimes it works, but really the benefit is being able to hit those spots close to shore that are off access to shore anglers. Try not to be that toolbox that crowds shore access areas with a boat though…

With the 3 rivers (non free flow areas), try to fish within a mile of the dams or close to creek mouths. There are studies out there showing that most fish stay relatively close, due to there being more dissolved oxygen in the water. Which likely attracts more baitfish and food chain.

Best wishes!
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 15:21:22 (permalink)
DeadGator401

My river fishing strategy for walleyes and sauger is:

I start at the lock entrance before sunrise and throw jigs with minnows or crawlers, sometimes I get crazy and throw a Carolina rig with a minnow or worm. Once the sun is up the bite usually dies off for me. That's when I head back down the river and I start hunting them with my graph. Usually by that time of day they're spread out so I find it's more effective to troll for them with crankbaits, worm harnesses, or spoons. 

Full disclosure I'm and idiot, so don't take my advice without consulting a lawyer and a medical professional. 

I also recommend looking up a guy named "Tom Boley" on YouTube, he has some pretty sound advice for river fishing walleyes and sauger. 

- Dale Gribble
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 20:32:40 (permalink)
Thanks guys! Pork you hit the nail on the head. Learning that a boat don't mean much in terms of numbers. 

I'll go back through and see what I can dig up, as well as check out the Youtube Snowman mentioned. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 20:48:03 (permalink)
Dead, it will definitely help when you figure things out. It just takes some time. Finding that time to figure things out is the hard part, especially with a young family. Things will get much better for you in the fall when they put the feedbag on. I’m sure some can be caught before then as well. But don’t get too down on yourself over it. Completely normal to make that transition. I heard it from many others.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/11 21:48:04 (permalink)
I've fished the Allegheny all my life, and CTKs advice is right on. Summertime fishin' is tough. Do not expect to get a limit of eyeballs during the day. Oh sure, you may pick one up here and there by trolling, but don't waste a lot of time throwin' a jig in bright sunlight. There are times when walleyes will hit a jig tipped with a Gulp minnow or a fathead, and you might nail one trollin' a Scatter Rap, a Tail Dancer (deep), a Thunder Stick or such, but in the summer, they're few and far between. The river ain't like goin' out on an Erie charter. I've always done better in the fall than in spring, but summertime is for night fishing for any species. Even then, for eyeballs, a slip sinker rig (Carolina) with a tail hooked fathead or shiner will out fish the jig/minnow combo. Used to be I caught more walleyes on yellow or orange jigs, but can't seem to buy a hit for the past few years. My go to favorite jig is the Blakemore Roadrunner in white; great spring or fall bait. The biggest walleyes on any pool come between midnight and 3AM, on a quick strike sucker rig or a large minnow (#13 to #18 Rap) crankbait. Just my $0.02!
post edited by EMitch - 2023/06/11 21:50:03

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/12 17:30:28 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/13 17:10:54 (permalink)
EMitch
I've fished the Allegheny all my life, and CTKs advice is right on. Summertime fishin' is tough. Do not expect to get a limit of eyeballs during the day. Oh sure, you may pick one up here and there by trolling, but don't waste a lot of time throwin' a jig in bright sunlight. There are times when walleyes will hit a jig tipped with a Gulp minnow or a fathead, and you might nail one trollin' a Scatter Rap, a Tail Dancer (deep), a Thunder Stick or such, but in the summer, they're few and far between. The river ain't like goin' out on an Erie charter. I've always done better in the fall than in spring, but summertime is for night fishing for any species. Even then, for eyeballs, a slip sinker rig (Carolina) with a tail hooked fathead or shiner will out fish the jig/minnow combo. Used to be I caught more walleyes on yellow or orange jigs, but can't seem to buy a hit for the past few years. My go to favorite jig is the Blakemore Roadrunner in white; great spring or fall bait. The biggest walleyes on any pool come between midnight and 3AM, on a quick strike sucker rig or a large minnow (#13 to #18 Rap) crankbait. Just my $0.02!

Good info - appreciate it Mitch! 

Welp, looks like I may be hitting a night time trip soon and we'll see if anything changes!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/13 22:09:01 (permalink)
I just fished the Juniata for the first time. Just down stream from Mt Union. Talk about a slippery bottom. Not sure how I didn’t take a dip. I looked like Bambi on ice. Yough times 10 on slippery. Pulled my groin and a few other muscles in my side in my effort to stay dry. I got 9 cookie cutter 12” smallmouth in about 3 hours. Not too bad for just pulling off the road and fishing an access spot. At least catching wise, probably be sore for 2 weeks from it. Most on flukes. A few on tubes and dingers. Had a lot of misses, but typical until dialing things in.

Looks like an excellent river to float. Wade with some spikes maybe? Have read that it is a good smallmouth river, so figured I would give a shot with work taking me through central Pa.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/14 11:55:27 (permalink)
Porktown
I just fished the Juniata for the first time. Just down stream from Mt Union. Talk about a slippery bottom. Not sure how I didn’t take a dip. I looked like Bambi on ice. Yough times 10 on slippery. Pulled my groin and a few other muscles in my side in my effort to stay dry.

Freeports launch is also super slick, I saw an older guy eat it launching a pontoon last weekend. 

- Dale Gribble
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/16 11:13:15 (permalink)
Probably best to focus on night time cat fishing, with maybe a bonus eye or sauger, in the deeper pools in the summer if you are just looking for a pull.  Something my boy wants to get into but we just haven't made the time (and i haven't uncluttered my boat yet in the garage).  Cut bait and live bait (gills, rock bass) and some bigger rods probably in case you luck into a nice flathead.  One of these days I'll get back on the river in Harmarville.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/16 11:39:45 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Probably best to focus on night time cat fishing, with maybe a bonus eye or sauger, in the deeper pools in the summer if you are just looking for a pull.  Something my boy wants to get into but we just haven't made the time (and i haven't uncluttered my boat yet in the garage).  Cut bait and live bait (gills, rock bass) and some bigger rods probably in case you luck into a nice flathead.  One of these days I'll get back on the river in Harmarville.
Yeah, that's my thinking on summer fishing in the rivers. I'm going on Father's Day. Carp and catfishing for me. Those river carp can PULL. Flatheads should be going into spawn soon. But June has historically been my best month for flatheads.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/17 13:38:49 (permalink)
Fished Tarentum this morning: caught 4 walleye 2 sauger, a few dinky smallmouth's, and one decent sized musky.  
I'll be fishing the big lake for the next two weekends, hopefully the wind cooperates. 

- Dale Gribble
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/17 14:07:14 (permalink)
CTKsnowman 
I'll be fishing the big lake for the next two weekends, hopefully the wind cooperates. 

Here's to that🍻🤞
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/17 18:16:28 (permalink)
Congrats on the musky!
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/17 20:04:51 (permalink)
Heck yeah. (Pics or it didn't happen)
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/17 22:12:07 (permalink)
FishinGuy
Heck yeah. (Pics or it didn't happen)

Yeah, I caught 10 muskies today, all over 50”…. 🥸
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/18 08:59:37 (permalink)
My boys got out yesterday afternoon at Freeport. Youngest got 2 dink eyeballs then a 30" musky just before dark on a 15" Bulldog. Said the surface temp is already 72 degrees and river is low.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/18 21:12:06 (permalink)
Best laid plans n'at... 2 smallies. No cats, no carp. No skunk though. And little effort put in. Not bad for 4 hours, launching at noon.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/18 21:12:43 (permalink)
EMitch
My boys got out yesterday afternoon at Freeport. Youngest got 2 dink eyeballs then a 30" musky just before dark on a 15" Bulldog. Said the surface temp is already 72 degrees and river is low.

What's a 15 inch bulldog? Big swimbait? 

Any trip with a Musky is great. 

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/18 22:47:28 (permalink)
Yeah, it's a swim bait. The head of it kinda looks like the rounded end of a shovel handle, w/eyeballs, gill fins, and a very long tail. No paddle on the end, but the rubbery tail swishes side to side. This was one of his larger ones; it also has a big spinner in front of the head. They range in size from about 6" up to 18" or so. He has Musky stick baits as long as a 15" sucker. Those baits are horribly expensive; in the $100 plus range. That's why I don't target Muskies. Too danged expensive for me.

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 39
Jump to: