Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 32 of 40
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9693
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 09:41:04 (permalink)
I was on a wooden plug making kick a while back. The time and work that goes into one 5” lure, would have had about $10/hr for my time to sell at $100/lure. Granted, much of that time was experimenting and other design/development. I’m sure these musky lure makers have cut a lot of time in making larger batches of lures, but I doubt at even $100/lure, they are really making all that much per hour when everything is added up. I’d imagine many musky fanatics have dabbled in lure production to cut costs. Trolling all day long at 7-8mph I’m guessing adds up on fuel costs to their $50k + boats many have. I could maybe justify that if I didn’t have kids or they were fishing nuts. Definitely a bit more of a budget than my annual fishing expenses.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 16:16:12 (permalink)
Moved 2 pallets of these by hand yesterday at camp. What a way to spend Fathers Day by myself.

Think most were in the 12" - 15" range? 

post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/06/19 17:33:54
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 17:03:38 (permalink)
FishinGuy
Heck yeah. (Pics or it didn't happen)

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3427
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 17:13:55 (permalink)
Hecks ya. Very healthy looking fish. As of right now, looking like Saturday's wind might be the best for the Big Lake. Like I said, for right now. NOAA is more bi-polar than one of my daughters. 🙄😆
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 17:47:42 (permalink)
👍👍
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3352
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 17:49:06 (permalink)
 Opps, one pallet of the Bulldogs and the other was Googan Contender's/Revolver's. Nice looking Fish!!
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 18:30:10 (permalink)
pensfan1
As of right now, looking like Saturday's wind might be the best for the Big Lake. Like I said, for right now. NOAA is more bi-polar than one of my daughters. 🙄😆

Yeah I fish the east end of Erie (Barcelona, Dunkirk) Saturday and Sunday say 0.3 wave height for now....
I also heard the bugs are emerging, I might have to focus on slow trolling with the butterfly rigs.

In other news: I spent an hour cleaning the river scum off my boat yesterday, that stuff was nasty.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 18:38:17 (permalink)
Some of the recent posts regarding the tough fishing, got me thinking about the good ole days.  My fishing back in the 60s and 70s was from a 12ft row boat (with a 12lb Shakespeare trolling motor) and my dad and I caught many more fish than I catch now.  

Today I have a fancy side-imaging fishfinder, a trolling motor with gps autopilot and spotlock, etc.., which help me some, but makes me think how did we catch all the fish in my youth without them.  In reality, my dad was just a better fisherman than I am.

Dead Gator mentioned a mister twister was his go-to bait when he was a teen.  Mine was the beetle spin.  It caught everything!
post edited by JerryS - 2023/06/19 21:09:18
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 19:15:58 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
pensfan1
As of right now, looking like Saturday's wind might be the best for the Big Lake. Like I said, for right now. NOAA is more bi-polar than one of my daughters. 🙄😆

Yeah I fish the east end of Erie (Barcelona, Dunkirk) Saturday and Sunday say 0.3 wave height for now....
I also heard the bugs are emerging, I might have to focus on slow trolling with the butterfly rigs.

In other news: I spent an hour cleaning the river scum off my boat yesterday, that stuff was nasty.  

Flat lining Hot n Tots and Bandits in thatsub 25FOW could be the game. Theyr slaughtering them at Ashtabula at night, 10FOW. Hoping for water temps around 65° 66° for Saturday. Last I looked it was 62° off Erie.
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 20:03:22 (permalink)
I went 45 years without so much as ever hooking a musky that I know of. Never tried for them intentionally.

In the last 3 years I’ve lost track of how many I’ve caught (more than 10 and less than 30) without even targeting them on 3” & 4” soft plastics. They are downright annoying when I’m trying to fish for other stuff and I’ve often thought about joining the Toss Em in the Weeds Club. Although I won’t, it’s tempting.

Shoot, a couple summers ago when my son was 11 he caught three muskies (two in one day) on his fly rod. While he was using a single kernel of corn on a size 16 hook fishing for carp to warm up for steelhead.

I see lots of guys hucking those giant baits to no avail and just chuckle. All ya need are some 1/8 oz jig heads, a pack of Gulp minnows, and to fish in the right places. And there are several of those places around NWPA that we’ve found.

Snagged one of those bulldog lures crappie posted a couple weeks ago in nearly brand new condition. Guy I saw fishing nearby told me it was worth $30 or $40. If any of yinz want it, I’ll let it go for $50.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1940
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/19 23:33:02 (permalink)
Took the boat up to Rosston. First time on that pool. Got a handful of small bass. Great day to be on the water but the fishing was meh.

Gonna have to put some time on that water to figure out some patterns or something. I wasn’t even sure where to look for fish. There was practically no current, didn’t see a lot of fish on the sonar, not a lot of obvious structure… just not the kind of river water that I’ve grown accustomed to fishing. Im mostly a casting guy, maybe I need to start trolling this kind of water.

I’m really tempted to just put the boat in at Parker or Emlenton and hoping I don’t bust my prop. I could just cruise up as far as I can go before I bottom out then drift back down, or even just motor around as much as I can and wade.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 07:28:06 (permalink)
I tried the Ned rigged ZMan again. Little smallmouth loved it. Got a few decent ones too, but seemed to be crack for the 10”ers. They snagged up much more than weedless tubes or senkos, but if fishing them mostly in wadable depths, unsnagging just like the others. Will definitely be in my rotation when the bigger baits aren’t getting hits.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 09:06:32 (permalink)
Yup you will definitely get a lot of small bass on the TRDs. It’s a small bait. But you get big ones too. To me it seems like every fish that you put one in front of will hit it. Just so happens that there are more 10s in the river than 18s.

I’ve been using the ned rigged Zman fluke style baits a lot this year and I love them for the river. I think they filter out some of the smaller fish too because they have a bigger profile than the TRD. Jerk shad in gold rush.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 09:59:02 (permalink)
MyWar
Took the boat up to Rosston. First time on that pool. Got a handful of small bass. Great day to be on the water but the fishing was meh.

Gonna have to put some time on that water to figure out some patterns or something. I wasn’t even sure where to look for fish. There was practically no current, didn’t see a lot of fish on the sonar, not a lot of obvious structure… just not the kind of river water that I’ve grown accustomed to fishing. Im mostly a casting guy, maybe I need to start trolling this kind of water.

I’m really tempted to just put the boat in at Parker or Emlenton and hoping I don’t bust my prop. I could just cruise up as far as I can go before I bottom out then drift back down, or even just motor around as much as I can and wade.

Just get a jet and be done with it....opens up a lot more river water for you, esp. the upper Allegheny where it is more fun!  
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 10:08:54 (permalink)
Can I just put a jet outboard on the boat I have now? It’s a 14’ v hull Grumman from the 80s. I feel like it’s not the ideal kind of boat for a jet.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 10:38:14 (permalink)
MyWar

Rosston is kind of a tough launch, and even tougher to get back on the trailer as it's pretty shallow there. You can motor quite a way up Crooked Creek, and there are walleyes, Muskie and a few Northerns in there, but I can't say about this time of the year. Down river between the island and railroad side usually gives up some fish, as does the downstream side of that island. If you're going up river, leaving the launch go straight across closest to the island 'til you reach the barge channel. It's very shallow on the marina side for the 1st third or half mile, then you're ok going up river. Trim your motor up to the last notch, enough to keep the water pump working, so that if you ground out, the skeg will take most of the abuse without prop damage. Word of caution. When you're stirring up all that muck and vegetation, the pump pushes it up and into the power head, and can plug up the telltale. 1st trip out in the spring, I fired up and had no pizzer. Ran a wire up in there, got muddy water at first, then the full stream. My motor does not have a thermostat, but the smaller 15 does, and the stat and the hose down to the pizzer was plugged on it with mud and the hulls of choke cherries. Not a good thing.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 10:38:50 (permalink)
MyWar
Yup you will definitely get a lot of small bass on the TRDs. It’s a small bait. But you get big ones too. To me it seems like every fish that you put one in front of will hit it. Just so happens that there are more 10s in the river than 18s.

I’ve been using the ned rigged Zman fluke style baits a lot this year and I love them for the river. I think they filter out some of the smaller fish too because they have a bigger profile than the TRD. Jerk shad in gold rush.

I will give that a shot.  I don't have any Zman flukes, but do have some Zooms that seem to get hit at times using as jerkbaits.  I did get two okay fish, one probably 14"er and another a little smaller.  Also got a few small rock bass too...  When using senkos (dingers), I get some 10"ers, but most are 12"+.  But far less strikes.  So, I guess a give and take.  I was debating to ned rig a dinger.

Most of the jet boats that I have seen are flat bottom or those shallow V hulls.  I too have a Grumman, mine is the 5.0 Series (17') side console.  Mine sits way too deep to get through rapids, regardless of a jet drive or not.  Mine is also riveted yours may not be.  I imagine you would really want welded for the occasional scraping of rocks.

There are river rock guards for propeller boats.  I'd imagine they are much more designed for you to crawl through unsure of areas, than they are for you to cruise like you can with a jet prop.  It isn't going to do all that much to protect your skeg at higher impact.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 12:21:18 (permalink)
Man all this talk of boat maintenance makes me wanna have a friend with a boat, not an actual boat!!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 12:27:44 (permalink)
Mine is riveted too.

I don’t think I’d try anything that looks too shallow. I’d stick to crawling through some borderline areas rather than blasting through rapids like I could in a jet.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen pontoons on the river up by Foxburg. What’s the draft on a pontoon?

If I could access some short stretches, like say just a couple miles, I would be happy. It would be easier than paddling upstream in the kayak. For example if I could drop in at the Parker launch and get up to those islands and the mouth of the clarion, I could spend all day fishing that stretch. I know there’s a decent channel that goes at least a little bit up past the Parker bridge.

A prop guard might be a good idea if I’m gonna try this. Looks like they are inexpensive and I could install easily myself.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 13:28:28 (permalink)
EMitch
MyWar

Rosston is kind of a tough launch, and even tougher to get back on the trailer as it's pretty shallow there. You can motor quite a way up Crooked Creek, and there are walleyes, Muskie and a few Northerns in there, but I can't say about this time of the year. Down river between the island and railroad side usually gives up some fish, as does the downstream side of that island. If you're going up river, leaving the launch go straight across closest to the island 'til you reach the barge channel. It's very shallow on the marina side for the 1st third or half mile, then you're ok going up river. Trim your motor up to the last notch, enough to keep the water pump working, so that if you ground out, the skeg will take most of the abuse without prop damage. Word of caution. When you're stirring up all that muck and vegetation, the pump pushes it up and into the power head, and can plug up the telltale. 1st trip out in the spring, I fired up and had no pizzer. Ran a wire up in there, got muddy water at first, then the full stream. My motor does not have a thermostat, but the smaller 15 does, and the stat and the hose down to the pizzer was plugged on it with mud and the hulls of choke cherries. Not a good thing.

I went back to some of info you all had posted last year which helped a lot with the navigation. We didn’t motor upstream past the marina, we mostly drifted with the current and ran the electric down stream. We got down to about the end of that last island before lock 6 and then motored up. Didn’t get a chance to explore the creek too much, although that would have been fun.

It looks like the launch was renovated recently. I think they poured new concrete last fall. It was steep but other than that I didn’t have much trouble, although I did just wade in and guide the boat onto the trailer by hand. A bigger boat would be tricky.

What’s the plan of attack on this kind of water? Try to cover a lot of ground by drifting and/or trolling? Bounce baits off the bottom while moving?

I didn’t see a ton of fish on the depth finder, just a couple here and there. So I mostly ended up fishing soft plastics on the shoreline drop offs, which perhaps unsurprisingly, only got a few bass.

It looks like there are some big deep holes out in the main channel and the depth can change quite a bit. Should I be focusing on the deeper water?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 13:32:46 (permalink)
If you do a prop guard and what Mitch said about trimming up you should be good in shallower areas. But going through rapids like the jet boats do, I would be surprised if anyone cloud do with a prop. Some of those flows are faster than my barge can be pushed by my severely underpowered outboard.

If you lived on the Upper Allegheny or even Yough, or decided those would be 90% of your fishing, a jet boat would be awesome. You need to power up a good bit too, since the jet props take up something like 20% of the power.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 14:25:54 (permalink)
Porktown
I will give that a shot.  I don't have any Zman flukes, but do have some Zooms that seem to get hit at times using as jerkbaits.  I did get two okay fish, one probably 14"er and another a little smaller.  Also got a few small rock bass too...  When using senkos (dingers), I get some 10"ers, but most are 12"+.  But far less strikes.  So, I guess a give and take.  I was debating to ned rig a dinger.

The thing with those Zman baits is the way they float. A zoom fluke will behave a little differently on the ned jig than the Zman fluke style bait. Similar, but not quite the same. Not sure how much difference it makes, but the way those Zman baits always try to try return to that upright position is unique.

I also just love that black and gold color for the clear water rivers. It’s natural, but it’s visible at the same time.

I also notice that there are the kind of spots where the bass are all 15-18s and then there are spots where the average is 10-12 or less. Baits make a difference, but habitat seems to be almost more important. The big ones are always near some heavier current. In my experience anyway.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 15:58:26 (permalink)
Yeah, those things are worthless without some sort of weight. I tried to drift one weightless before and not surprisingly, didn’t work very well…. Makes sense they would make better Ned baits. I have some ZMan craws as well that I need to give a go. Also a bunch of the diesel minnow swim baits. Those are excellent in saltwater and have had some strikes in freshwater fished as well, but don’t use often enough. Only soft plastic that I have ever caught multiple bluefish without having to change it out. Those things destroy lures.

I haven’t noticed any sort of pattern with the bigger ones. Half of the times that I get any over 15”, they are in somewhere that I am casting randomly on my way to another better looking spot. Although my largest smallmouths have been in rather fishy looking spots.
JerryS
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 20:46:48 (permalink)
pensfan1
CTKsnowman
pensfan1

Flat lining Hot n Tots and Bandits in thatsub 25FOW could be the game. Theyr slaughtering them at Ashtabula at night, 10FOW. Hoping for water temps around 65° 66° for Saturday. Last I looked it was 62° off Erie.

In the last two weeks, I've made it up Erie three times.  The shallow bite doesn't seem to be happening this year.  I've caught a total of 4 eyes in those three trips.  Talking to other boats, it seems the 40-50 FOW is the hot spot right now. Maybe you will have better luck. 

Although it has been a banner year for big sheepshead.  Many 8-10 pounders.  Fun to catch.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 20:57:13 (permalink)
Ugh. Thanks for tha tip Jerry.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 909
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 21:21:15 (permalink)
EMitch
Yeah, it's a swim bait. The head of it kinda looks like the rounded end of a shovel handle, w/eyeballs, gill fins, and a very long tail. No paddle on the end, but the rubbery tail swishes side to side. This was one of his larger ones; it also has a big spinner in front of the head. They range in size from about 6" up to 18" or so. He has Musky stick baits as long as a 15" sucker. Those baits are horribly expensive; in the $100 plus range. That's why I don't target Muskies. Too danged expensive for me.

A 100$?? Holy smokes.

I had a period where I caught around 10 over 2 summers or so casting big big baits for bass. Like Snag said earlier, seemingly a right place right time with em. 

I'm inspired though to go back to my roots for July 4 weekend - going Mister Twisters and jigheads on one rod, and drowning some worms on another I guess. In between drinking either some Bud Light Lime, White Claws or Coronas, and wrangling a 2 year old - I'm sure I'll be the next to post a Musky picture right?

JerryS
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 22:20:10 (permalink)
pensfan1

My fishing is all on the east side (Lampe to North East).  The west side (i.e. Walnut) is definitely a better fishery, so if that is your destination, your luck may be better.  I don't have the patience to launch out of Walnut.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/20 22:35:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CTKsnowman 2023/06/21 17:47:08
JerryS
pensfan1

My fishing is all on the east side (Lampe to North East).  The west side (i.e. Walnut) is definitely a better fishery, so if that is your destination, your luck may be better.  I don't have the patience to launch out of Walnut.

Having a smaller boat enables me to use the old ramp. We will probably go outta Walnut, but you have me considering Shades. I usually don't start going up there till middle of next month. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm thinking of starting around noonish and hitting it hard till late evenging. 🤔
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/21 15:57:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CTKsnowman 2023/06/21 17:56:31
Porktown
If you do a prop guard and what Mitch said about trimming up you should be good in shallower areas. But going through rapids like the jet boats do, I would be surprised if anyone cloud do with a prop. Some of those flows are faster than my barge can be pushed by my severely underpowered outboard.

If you lived on the Upper Allegheny or even Yough, or decided those would be 90% of your fishing, a jet boat would be awesome. You need to power up a good bit too, since the jet props take up something like 20% of the power.

Unless you stick to Oil City pool, running a prop outboard is a very bad idea. USGS gauge in Frankin was 3.28 Saturday afternoon, and you had to watch some areas...its currently 2.92.  

We use a Mercury 65 HP jet, but it I'm almost certain it would be rated as 90 hp with prop. 
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/06/21 17:54:04 (permalink)
psu_fish
Unless you stick to Oil City pool, running a prop outboard is a very bad idea. USGS gauge in Frankin was 3.28 Saturday afternoon, and you had to watch some areas...its currently 2.92.  

We use a Mercury 65 HP jet, but it I'm almost certain it would be rated as 90 hp with prop. 

I think my next boat will have a jet outboard. I feel like I'm missing out on some good spots up north. 

- Dale Gribble
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 32 of 40
Jump to: