Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 39
Author
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/14 20:45:32 (permalink)
Porktown

I take it that you saw your screen namesake show coming up.

Lol I actually had not seen that.

The last few years there have been a couple touring incarnations of black flag, with like barely any original members. If I could travel back in time and see the band in their prime I’d do that. The punk nostalgia thing doesn’t really do it for me though.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/14 21:25:40 (permalink)
 Thank goodness Pymy went to 20 hp some years back. Being such flat land in the area and a large shallow lake it can get a little rough quick. Hated being on a pontoon with a 9.9 and see a storm approaching.

Got the branch on the right mostly cut up last week. Watched it fall 3 weeks ago but had to leave the next day. Pretty cool watching the storms roll in from a distance up that way.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/08/15 00:06:36
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/15 14:46:20 (permalink)

rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/18 16:46:03 (permalink)

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/19 20:45:10 (permalink)
Yikes - hopefully no one got hurt!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/20 07:56:36 (permalink)
 Well when I started cutting it up on Thursday the old lady got attacked by Bald Faced Hornets that had a nest in the branches . Her hand got pretty swollen. There are 3 more parts of it around the same size that are on their last leg/limb. One might wipe out 4 of my son's boats if he don't move them soon.

The wife was picking up Walnuts from this tree in the front yard over 80 yards away. Dang power company replaced wires on the transformer in the yard on Saturday. Came up Weds. and the transformer was blown. Had to clean out the fridge/freezer. 

Having the Amish cut everything over 40" in dia. Not as young as my brain thinks.

Lost the last of the fish from this spring so gives me a incentive to get back to the lake.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/22 21:13:18 (permalink)
We're heading up tomorrow. Haven't fished since the gales of August moved in🙄. Calling for good conditions so we'll havta see how it goes. Let yinz kno🤞💪🐟
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/23 07:14:00 (permalink)
hopefully it didn't turnover yet....tight lines and limits...
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/23 08:43:38 (permalink)
Fished Moraine 2 days ago. Ded Cee 

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9691
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/23 09:14:17 (permalink)
rippinlip

Good to see a report, but sums up Artie summer fishing. That lake seems to be that way for me from when it starts to get hot out until it cools down. I have done okay in the past, REALLY early morning or evenings into dusk, but no consistent pattern to it. Not worth getting up at 3AM, to hit a 2 hour window of possibly catching a fish or two. I pretty much refuse to sweat my rearend off midday summer fishing there. I do know where to find some small crappie with maybe 1-2 keepers mixed in. Things should pick up in the next month.

Summer has officially changed to smallmouth season for me. Not that I crush them, but at least feel a pull every 30 minutes or so. I made it out a few days ago on the Yough. Fished from my kayak as the family floated in tubes. Got 4 smallies and a bonus rainbow. Had another really nice fish on where I caught the rainbow. I saw a steelhead sized palomino in the same area too. But was down stream about 30 yards from where I had the one on, so definitely not the same fish.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/23 14:05:32 (permalink)
pensfan1
We're heading up tomorrow. Haven't fished since the gales of August moved in🙄. Calling for good conditions so we'll havta see how it goes. Let yinz kno🤞💪🐟

Hope you missed the rains. Started in Linesville around 4:00 am and has been on & off most of the day. Calling for strong storms and warnings coming off the lake.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/23 17:20:43 (permalink)
Ya we didn't 🤣. Got to fish about an hour n half. Same area West of Trout, same depth ( out to 25FOW). We got 3 keepers and had tons of action in that short amount of time. We had surface temp of 73°. I'll be back for vengeance 😉.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 01:25:35 (permalink)
Glad someones catching something. My adventures in the river ended a month or so back. Just too hot, like people here said. 

My mom and sisters have done well on cats at night, but I can't be out there late like that right now. Someday!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 09:43:08 (permalink)
Try wading in the heat. It makes 85 and humid feel comfortable. Stick with sections of a river/creek that aren’t super deep, unless pools that have edges that you can wade through.

I fished this way all of the time years back and did well. Then I bought a kayak and only wanted to use it. Then a boat and only wanted to use it. 15 years of basically “forcing” fish from a boat in the summer and sweating my rear off in the process. With extremely inconsistent catches.

A couple years back a buddy of mine invited me to wade with him. The catching was much more consistent and like mentioned about the heat. When wading, it is about an hour round trip, including packing and unpacking the car and on the water. I don’t think twice about going out if I have a 3 hour window. With my boat, I need a full day or 6 hour window minimum. I can’t find 6 hour windows in Aug-Sept for work anyway, with most weekends catching up on house/yard work. I have a hard time finding 3 hour windows. For years, I’d put in 12 hour days during the week to carve out a weekend day that I could get the boat out. Then sweat my rear off and have a bluegill or small crappie keep me from a skunking…. Trips like those had me wondering why I even went fishing.

It all changes in Oct-Dec though. Not that Dec is usually very good, but if stays warm, I will be out there trying. Then again from Mar-Jun. Almost all boat fishing in those seasons for me.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 10:24:16 (permalink)
At least you guys are getting out on the water. Right at the minute, I don't have a tow vehicle. Wrestled the old 01 Jeep into the garage yesterday. Goin' out in a little while to pull the engine and transmission, then she's goin' for scrap. Keepin' the tranny & transfer case, the engine is goin' into my 02 Grand Cherokee, still in good shape but the engine crapped the bed. My time of the year for fishin' is fast approaching. Stay after 'em. Tight lines.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 10:47:22 (permalink)
 I'd like to get the Radisson square stern out for Sept -- Nov. but to cheap to buy a launch permit for only 3 months. I know I would end up getting busted without one even though I haven't encountered a Fish Fuzz or Ranger in years. Maybe my son will take me out. I'd catch way more wading anyways so no big deal on the canoe or boat.
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 11:41:17 (permalink)
crappiefisher
 I'd like to get the Radisson square stern out for Sept -- Nov. but to cheap to buy a launch permit for only 3 months. I know I would end up getting busted without one even though I haven't encountered a Fish Fuzz or Ranger in years. Maybe my son will take me out. I'd catch way more wading anyways so no big deal on the canoe or boat.

Holler at me I'll take you out in the toon.

rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 11:44:04 (permalink)
Porktown
rippinlip

Good to see a report, but sums up Artie summer fishing. That lake seems to be that way for me from when it starts to get hot out until it cools down. I have done okay in the past, REALLY early morning or evenings into dusk, but no consistent pattern to it. Not worth getting up at 3AM, to hit a 2 hour window of possibly catching a fish or two. I pretty much refuse to sweat my rearend off midday summer fishing there. I do know where to find some small crappie with maybe 1-2 keepers mixed in. Things should pick up in the next month.
Yea the Dog Days of Summer for sure. I noticed that the buoys were moved WAY into the Conservation Area or the storm blew them way in there. The Crappies were gorging on little 2 to 3 in skinny monnows. Probably this years spawning resukts.
Summer has officially changed to smallmouth season for me. Not that I crush them, but at least feel a pull every 30 minutes or so. I made it out a few days ago on the Yough. Fished from my kayak as the family floated in tubes. Got 4 smallies and a bonus rainbow. Had another really nice fish on where I caught the rainbow. I saw a steelhead sized palomino in the same area too. But was down stream about 30 yards from where I had the one on, so definitely not the same fish.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 11:54:42 (permalink)

Had the Amish finish up the two branches Thursday evening then third one fell later that night. Two more to go. 
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/08/27 12:01:23
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 12:10:01 (permalink)
rippinlip
crappiefisher

Any time I fish with somebody from this forum we get skunked unless it was Dreamcatcher  
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 13:20:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2023/08/28 19:52:19
Heck Kevin, I don't think anyone even caught a fish the time I had the fishing picnic / outing around 15 years ago at my place. Didn't help that Smitty wanted to move it back a few weeks. But not sure a Cat was even caught that night. I'm a jinks I tell ya!! I tell Pork that but he doesn't listen .

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/27 17:18:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2023/08/28 19:54:22
We did well on fall perch like 10 years or so back. Those things seem to be on fire one day and nothing the next day with same exact conditions though. Same thing with many fish I guess. Catch one on your first cast and you might as well pack your gear, since likely going to turn off ten minutes later.

I had a coworker pass away and another just diagnosed with cancer that was rushed into emergency surgery. Likely out of work for the next few months. Typically a very busy time for me regardless. I’m hoping this doesn’t double things. Two great guys, going to miss the one. The other is one of my best friends at work (although lives 700 miles away). So, is someone that I don’t mind at all covering for. I’m pretty much accepting my summer fishing to be about done, possibly a quick river trip or two to keep sane. Just hoping this doesn’t interfere with the fall fishing. Already have 6 jobs lined up in WV for the fall. Might look into a WV license. One of them is real close to the New River Gorge. Pretty sure my NJ projects are going to push out until next fiscal year, so might have to go visit them during the striper run…. Not that I would ever steer meeting schedules around fish migrations!
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/28 19:51:17 (permalink)
crappiefisher
rippinlip
crappiefisher

Any time I fish with somebody from this forum we get skunked unless it was Dreamcatcher  

He called me 2 days ago, I'll bring him with us.

rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/28 19:53:18 (permalink)
Speaking of Pork I'd like to take a road trip to Mchigan to see him.

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/29 18:47:20 (permalink)
Porktown
Try wading in the heat. It makes 85 and humid feel comfortable. Stick with sections of a river/creek that aren’t super deep, unless pools that have edges that you can wade through.

This 100%

Wet wading in the summertime is glorious. Smallmouth bite stays hot all through July and August and September. Can’t beat it.

I got the boat running in the river too. I’ve taken it up to Fishermans cove and Parker a couple times now. But even with the boat Im mainly just looking for sections to hop out and pick it apart while wading. I kind of do the same thing when I am in the kayak too.

Me and the girlfriend took the boat up to kinzua on Sunday and camped at Morrison. First time I’ve been to that part of the lake. We had the lake to ourselves pretty much from Sunday evening until we got off the water at noon today (Tuesday).

I only got one fish but it was a new PB pike. He was about 30”, so not a giant but pretty big for me. I’ve only ever caught baby pike up there. Pretty great trip except the deer flies were RELENTLESS.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/08/31 22:30:20 (permalink)
MyWar
Porktown

This 100%

Wet wading in the summertime is glorious. Smallmouth bite stays hot all through July and August and September. Can’t beat it.

I got the boat running in the river too. I’ve taken it up to Fishermans cove and Parker a couple times now. But even with the boat Im mainly just looking for sections to hop out and pick it apart while wading. I kind of do the same thing when I am in the kayak too.

Me and the girlfriend took the boat up to kinzua on Sunday and camped at Morrison. First time I’ve been to that part of the lake. We had the lake to ourselves pretty much from Sunday evening until we got off the water at noon today (Tuesday).

I only got one fish but it was a new PB pike. He was about 30”, so not a giant but pretty big for me. I’ve only ever caught baby pike up there. Pretty great trip except the deer flies were RELENTLESS.

Yeah. I've always done well wet wading. 
My issue is a 40lb, curly haired lunatic who would rather swim than fish. Someday!

Nice Pike. Still have never caught on, caught almost everything else the Commonwealth has to offer. Pike still elude me. I hear they're in Arthur, maybe someday I'll find a dead one there and take a pic like I caught it. (Dead Sea joke there) 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/09/01 08:33:08 (permalink)
I was in the same boat years back with my kids. Neither took onto fishing. I probably pushed it a bit too hard with my daughter. Took her on the boat while young with a box of toys, but only allowed for an hour or so of fishing before she would get bored. Ended up finding playgrounds or other. Enjoy it while it lasts. The fish will be there for you in 10 years or so when she realizes that you aren’t a superhero.

Number one tip that I would share with any parent of young kids. Avoid coaching any sports at all costs. The dynamic of relationships of other parents when you/kid is older is not worth it. Regardless if you are there to teach the fundamentals of the sport, wanting to compete or just having fun. There will be a handful of parents that will disagree and hold grudges for years and others that just treat you differently. It may seem like a good way to spend time with your kid, but not worth it. The absolute insanity of some parents is amazing. Things they will do to other kids (criminal at times) to put theirs on some sort of pedestal is amazing. Unfortunately at the youth level, not enough coaches available that aren’t parents of a kid on the team.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/09/02 01:41:35 (permalink)
I've considered it in the future. Interesting thoughts. I assume you speak from experience. Shame people ruin things like this, but it was like that even when I was a kid. 
I plan to hopefully be able to continue to support the little one the best I can, and enjoy the ages as they come.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/09/03 12:39:03 (permalink)
I found a three hour window to wade the Yough. Half way there noticed that I forgot my wading shoes…. Stopped at Dollar General who were out of water shoes, so bought a $1 pair of flip flops and a roll of duct tape…. They worked, my feet were in pain after. No cuts, so just fine. Fishing wasn’t bad. 7 smallies and 1 rainbow. Two of the smallies 15” range. Got one on 3rd cast, almost just packed it up thinking it would be over…. Saw another rainbow (or same one) following my jerkbait. Met a good guy while leaving and had a good chat. Also good dude when I showed up that was packing it up. Any of you forum guys? Smithton area.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/09/03 19:34:45 (permalink)
I hit the stretch between perryopolis and van meter on Friday after work. I didn’t do all that well. Pretty slow until right around dusk then I got a couple in the last hour or so on the water. Nothing of any size tho.

I haven’t fished the area around Smithton yet this year. I probably should try it again. But the yough has been very hit or miss for me so far this season. I’ve definitely fished it under some less than ideal conditions, like high muddy water… and Friday was like a high pressure, super clear sky kinda day. I dont think I’ve had a really good day on the yough since June.

The Allegheny has been consistently good tho. I’m gonna try to get out tomorrow for a bit, and then I’ll be up at my buddy’s cabin around tionesta next weekend.
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 39
Jump to: