Helpful ReplyPrediction

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Prediction 2018/10/08 22:17:05 (permalink)
old dog
BTDT, my wife has suggested we look at a condo.  I resist but I can really see the advantages.  I'd be happy with a 'tiny house' halfway between Pymy and Erie or the mountains.  These flatlands have worn out their welcome.  lol

See above!  :-)  You can find someone to plow and landscape much cheaper than paying a condo fee that goes up every year.  And you won't have to put up with lazy ingrates who won't even bend over to pick up a can falls out of their trash.  Or put up with stupid rules, like no washing cars, or even changing oil.

But if you are really set on a condo, I have one for sale on East Lake Rd. in Harborcreek, at where 5 mile creek would be, if it wasn't in a tube.  I sure wish it was in Northern Va. though, would be worth triple, and be sold in a week.  :-)
post edited by FiveMilePete - 2018/10/09 13:08:09
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 06:51:53 (permalink)
Pete I hear ya on the no go condo's.

In addition to ridiculous HOA fees there's gonna be chance for stupid rules and regulations.

Not that some rules aren't needed, say like no camp fires in your driveway or deer stands from your balcony but not allowing, the proper display of my country's flag or, Christmas decorations? Bad idea.

No, I wouldn't go condo or any other place having HOA fees and silly asz rules.

That's my 'prediction' and I'm stickin to it. 👽

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 09:01:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2018/10/09 12:58:16
If yer looking for piles of fish in easy to get to places, it ain't "worth it" yet.  If you know how to keep after small numbers of fish in low, clear conditions and don't mind some company, you'll have some fun.  

My sons and I (and two friends of the oldest son) fished yesterday, and here's what we found . . .

Walnut from the Manchester Bridge down to the wall was nearly devoid of fish.  Flows were what you'd expect in early to mid September.  Might've been a few with their noses poked up into the whitewater on a few of those small falls, but I personally could see 2 steelhead in that stretch and I looked pretty thoroughly.  No idea what might've been going on at the wall or in the channel.  

There are some from the Manchester Hole up to the falls, but there was about a 1:1 fish to angler ratio yesterday.  My oldest son combat fished and found a few dum ones.  

Hardly anything in Trout Run.  Might've been a few hiding in the shade and with their noses in the falls that we couldn't see.  The forecasted south wind was straight outta the northeast yesterday, so wasn't real conducive to fishing there.  Would imagine that when the wind is right, beach fishing is probably still the best bet.  Various reports and posts on social media seem to back this up.  

We did find small numbers of fish on Elk in a few spots with nobody else around, and some of 'em were dumb, so that made for an enjoyable late afternoon and evening for us.  

I heard a few stream side conversations that the mouth of Elk was dead yesterday morning.  

With gardens still producing and lawns still being mowed once or twice a week, cricks ain't gonna be holding much water for long till we get some cold nights and vegetation starts to die.  Lake temps are back up to 68.  Dunno what stream temps were yesterday, but I wet waded all day and wasn't even a little bit cold in the morning.  

If you're gonna fish this week, bring a stringer cause most of those fish are gonna go belly up after you fight 'em in these temps.  If you don't like dead steelhead, you probably shouldn't be fishing.  As it is, I like to rope and smoke a few, so I didn't shed any tears when they went for a ride on my red rope and into my cooler.  By the way, red is the new blue, which was the new yellow.   

Prediction: It'll start to be "worth it" for lots of fishermen in about 2 weeks, and mid November, like it has been the past 3 years, will be the best time for good numbers of fish in easy to get to places.  
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 12:57:55 (permalink)
rsquared
If yer looking for piles of fish in easy to get to places, it ain't "worth it" yet.  If you know how to keep after small numbers of fish in low, clear conditions and don't mind some company, you'll have some fun.  

My sons and I (and two friends of the oldest son) fished yesterday, and here's what we found . . .

Walnut from the Manchester Bridge down to the wall was nearly devoid of fish.  Flows were what you'd expect in early to mid September.  Might've been a few with their noses poked up into the whitewater on a few of those small falls, but I personally could see 2 steelhead in that stretch and I looked pretty thoroughly.  No idea what might've been going on at the wall or in the channel.  

There are some from the Manchester Hole up to the falls, but there was about a 1:1 fish to angler ratio yesterday.  My oldest son combat fished and found a few dum ones.  

Hardly anything in Trout Run.  Might've been a few hiding in the shade and with their noses in the falls that we couldn't see.  The forecasted south wind was straight outta the northeast yesterday, so wasn't real conducive to fishing there.  Would imagine that when the wind is right, beach fishing is probably still the best bet.  Various reports and posts on social media seem to back this up.  

We did find small numbers of fish on Elk in a few spots with nobody else around, and some of 'em were dumb, so that made for an enjoyable late afternoon and evening for us.  

I heard a few stream side conversations that the mouth of Elk was dead yesterday morning.  

With gardens still producing and lawns still being mowed once or twice a week, cricks ain't gonna be holding much water for long till we get some cold nights and vegetation starts to die.  Lake temps are back up to 68.  Dunno what stream temps were yesterday, but I wet waded all day and wasn't even a little bit cold in the morning.  

If you're gonna fish this week, bring a stringer cause most of those fish are gonna go belly up after you fight 'em in these temps.  If you don't like dead steelhead, you probably shouldn't be fishing.  As it is, I like to rope and smoke a few, so I didn't shed any tears when they went for a ride on my red rope and into my cooler.  By the way, red is the new blue, which was the new yellow.   

Prediction: It'll start to be "worth it" for lots of fishermen in about 2 weeks, and mid November, like it has been the past 3 years, will be the best time for good numbers of fish in easy to get to places.  

Thanks for report, R**2.    Been under the weather, so haven't been out much.  Hard to believe nothing in Walnut.  Even last year, at this time there were quite a few fish at Walnut at stop sign. And quite a few in the creek at Trout Run.  Temp is supposed to be 83* today, and sunny, definitely not steely weather.  I'm thinking temp + rain has a lot more to do with numbers than time of year.  Wet wade?  Wow!  I did that in VA. in the summer, for smallmouth.  :-)

jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 13:02:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2018/10/10 22:27:21
good report. 

i was on elk and walnut sunday.... i would describe in one word "dismal"

rsquared

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 13:08:32 (permalink)
FiveMilePete

Thanks for report, R**2.    Been under the weather, so haven't been out much.  Hard to believe nothing in Walnut.  Even last year, at this time there were quite a few fish at Walnut at stop sign. And quite a few in the creek at Trout Run.  Temp is supposed to be 83* today, and sunny, definitely not steely weather.  I'm thinking temp + rain has a lot more to do with numbers than time of year.  Wet wade?  Wow!  I did that in VA. in the summer, for smallmouth.  :-)

The last couple of years we've made trips up to Erie in late May/early June for smallmouth on Elk and we wet wade.  Yesterday was just as comfortable as it was on Memorial Day this year.  My 8 year old was out of his waders and in shorts and sandals by noon yesterday, and wading up to his waist in a few spots.  I don't think I've ever wet waded in October anywhere before.  

It was a bit chilly on the lake front with the North Wind blowing across the lake, and I forgot to add above that we stopped at East Avenue boat launch too (choppy and muddy there too with the NE wind), and there was a group of about 8 kids swimming in the lake!  
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
Re: Prediction 2018/10/09 13:21:43 (permalink)
Swimming in October. :-)  Well, 68*  is warmer the other Great Lakes in the summer.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Prediction 2018/10/10 17:06:33 (permalink)
Well Trump is visiting Erie this afternoon, guess were going to make steelhead great again. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Prediction 2018/10/10 18:48:19 (permalink)
No no John, that's "steel mills" Steelheads already up to RT 5.👻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Prediction 2018/10/11 10:28:54 (permalink)
So the steel mills ARE up to rt. 5? 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Prediction 2018/10/11 22:35:39 (permalink)
lol steel mills lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Prediction 2018/11/03 21:39:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2018/11/04 23:45:01
Prediction 1

many stayed home thinking the creeks wouldn't be fishable
(looked fishable going by the flow charts)

prediction 2
there will be a huge run tomorrow ...of anglers
Some will catch a bunch, others not so much
(mostly cause they can't see the fish and aren't aware that many move out of their usual crowed holding water and will be where they're usually not)

..L.T.A.

chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
Re: Prediction 2018/11/08 18:18:58 (permalink)
Leaves and Lake Effect Snow will keep the crowds light this weekend.

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to: