Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
STEALYS4ME
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1443
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/26 23:52:31 (permalink)

ITCHING FOR KINGS

Cant wait to hit bert dam and orleans co, ny, real soon had a blast last yr, met many fisherman from all over dranks some beers and shared some stories with fisherman from all over the world.

142 Replies Related Threads

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/27 03:49:00 (permalink)
    Western NY board dUde!
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/27 10:54:10 (permalink)
    I hear ya... us guys withouth treadworth Lake O boats (like myself) are dying to into them. You'll probably catch me at the piers more than any of the a**hole to elbow streams though...or you wont see me at all if I am stream fishing
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/28 19:37:19 (permalink)
    mudsharks,hey 4me tell tommy b what works on kings,lol

I have become comfortably numb
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/28 20:11:01 (permalink)
    Won't be long. I think there will be a little more water than last year. Let's hope.

Lyrical
    great spots
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/29 21:14:09 (permalink)
    Anyone but me caught any atlantics in the salmon river this year. So far hooked 5 landed 2. 1 six pds other 10pds.
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/29 21:46:07 (permalink)
    For the best reliable info on anything to you need to know about salmon fishing, spots, times and places not even the guides will let you know.I can Help.I have been fishing for salmon for 24yrs. I have more knowledge then 90% of the guides. I hooked more fish than anyone on these rivers. I have caught salmon from buffalo to tribs that flow into the St.Lawerance. And yes salmon do migrate up these tribs and know one fishes for them. All you guys coming up on labor day had better wait or call because they are going to be extreamly late this year. These fish are extreamly north in very cold water on the candaian side of the lake. There fish have been few and far between,not even the charters are finding them. That alone tells me they will be LATE. Everyone is excited about the water and its great but the temp is the real kicker. We have gotten alot of rain this year. If I got this right your first good run will be 15th-20th of sept and peak will be in 15th-20th of Oct. I have kept jornals for about ten years now and there a predictable pattern that usally occers. I will keep you all informed so you dont waste your time. I have deceided to reveal some of my info over the years. So far this year I have hooked 5 and landed 2 Atlantics this yr. One was about 5lbs and the other was 11lbs. These fish are far an away better fighting than any steelhead you will catch. The 11lb atlantic jumped 7 times and it was 86 degrees out that day. That is the biggest one I ever caught.  See ya
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/29 23:00:02 (permalink)
    **** dude- Atlantics are just about everyone's dream fish. Pretty cool.

Lyrical
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 15:03:52 (permalink)
    great spots, how's the atlantic run this year? haven't heard much on them. i'm heading up this weekend and hoping to tie into a couple. gonna hit the lake if the weathers ok also. heard the guys were still doing browns at a good clip. I also heard the kings were scattered. not a lot of boats going out this year either with the gas prices.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 17:02:17 (permalink)
    There is very few atlantics in the fishable part of the river. There is alot in the lower flyfishing zone and near the hatchery. The best place to go for these is where the springs are emptying in the deep holes. My suggestion would be sportsman and just downstream of where trout brook emptys in. The brown trout fishing is on fire. It has been like this all year. I would do that if i was coming up here. I hope this helps you.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 20:10:58 (permalink)
    So what do you use for Atlantics? Flies? Bait?

Lyrical
    gergie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 20:11:09 (permalink)
    Itching isn't the word. I'm half tempted to drive up Labor Day when they release the water. I would think that would bring a few in. Anyway, we booked rooms for Sept.21st-23rd hopefully they are there then.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 20:38:00 (permalink)
    If they release water for the yakers there will be some I would think?

Lyrical
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/30 20:57:47 (permalink)
    worms, egg sacks. Very little weight also
    gergie
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/07/31 15:40:12 (permalink)
    Worms? Seriously?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/01 11:49:53 (permalink)
    I had hoped you'd say skating bombers. My bad- just dreaming I guess.

Lyrical
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/02 22:14:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: great spots

There is very few atlantics in the fishable part of the river. There is alot in the lower flyfishing zone and near the hatchery. The best place to go for these is where the springs are emptying in the deep holes. My suggestion would be sportsman and just downstream of where trout brook emptys in. The brown trout fishing is on fire. It has been like this all year. I would do that if i was coming up here. I hope this helps you.
    [/quote

Great spots, I take it there fish way up stream. Do you know if there are any Skamania stragglers in the rivers? I always wanted to go for them in the past but never made the time.  Would you know if the smallies are still in good numbers in the rivers? With the water temps running cold this spring, I was curious if they ran late also. I appreciate your advise/reports.

My trip for this weekend got delayed due to my buddie's jobs. Hopefully going in a day or two depending on them. I'll post our results. Thanks-OTH

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/03 20:29:08 (permalink)
    Since we are all "itching for kings" how about some pics from last year...I'll start with a nice mud shark

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/03 22:21:33 (permalink)
    I was only up once last year. My first day I landed 2 or 3 Kings. I didn't get any pics of them.
    The next two days I was into good #'s of Steelhead thanks to Gottumguide.
    I do enjoy casting to Kings. When they want to chase something down & strike it nothing will stop them.

Lyrical
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 16:41:44 (permalink)
    I want up today and it was slow. The atlantics and skamania are still behind the church in the lower flyfishing area. There is always good smallmouth fishing in this river. I caught some today. If you get up there and the salmonriver is no good try oswego i caught alot of small mouth there today.
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 16:57:09 (permalink)
    HEY EVERYONE I HAVE SOME BAD NEW REGARDING FISHING RIGHTS ON THE SALMOM RIVER. FROM THE BLACK HOLE TO THE START OF DOUGLESTON IT IS NOW POSTED ON BOTH SIDEDS OF THE RIVER. ON THE POSTED SIGN IT SIGNED BY DOUGESTON MANOR.  SO TO RECAP NOW THE PRICE GREEDY DOUGLESTON OWNS FROM 104 BRIDGE UP TO THE BLACK HOLE. EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE EFFECTED BY THIS. THE FAST WATER DOWN TO THE LITTLE BLACK IS ONE OF THE BEST SPOTS TO FISH AND MOST POPULAR. CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY ARE GOING TO STOP HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FROM FISHING THERE. THIS COULD GET REAL UGLY. SORRY ABOUT THE BAD NEWS.
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 17:04:42 (permalink)
    HELLO EVERYONE I CAME ACROSS SOME BAD NEWS TODAY REGARDING FISHING RIGHTS ON THE SALMON RIVER. IF YOU LIKE TO FISH FROM THE BLACK HOLE DOWN TO THE START OF DOUGELSTON IT IS NOW POSTED BY THEM. THAT MEANS THE NOW OWN FROM 104 TO THE BLACK HOLE ON BOTH SIDEDS OF THE RIVER. THIS IS GOING TO EFFECT EVERYONE. THIS IS SOME OF THE BEST FISHING ON THE ENTIRE RIVER. HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FISH THIS AREA AND NOW YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY 20$ TO FISH HERE. THERE GOING TO HAVE A HARD TIME KEEPING PEOPLE OUT THERE PLEASE DONT LET THIS STOP YOU FROM GOING DOWN THERE. YES THIS INCLUDES THE FASTWATER DOWN TO THE LITTLE BLACK HOLE AND ALL OF YOU KNOW HOW GOOD THAT SECTION IS.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 18:11:48 (permalink)
    GS:
    it's no secret that the Atlantic's & Steelhead hold in the LFZ during summer, nothing new there. Catching them in between is the key. The new added Posted property to DSR is as I understand is from the tip of the Island at the tail of the Black hole *new (both sides) . Yes (little black) is a heavy fished spot, one of the best ? Not as far as I am concerned, shoulder to shoulder lifting, blah...... Learn how to fish for salmon.... Maybe the landowners are sick of the mess left by slobs.

FYI: DSR does not own (post) from rt (104 ? ) I think you mean rt. 3 to the black hole. There is a boundary line in the estuary & still a section in between not DSR posted. Don't you know all those great spots ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 18:19:19 (permalink)
    I have a weeks vac. in a month. I may head up for a few days. Even though it will be pretty early I will get to use my license again before it expires.

Lyrical
    gergie
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 19:55:28 (permalink)
    Why this is great news. You seem to be upset over this. There is great fishing all through out the Salmon River if you just take the time to a litlte research. I myself fish the DSR 95% of the time just to get away from "everything". No, I don't enjoying paying the $30, but it's a small price to pay to enjoy fishing at it's finest.

ORIGINAL: great spots

HELLO EVERYONE I CAME ACROSS SOME BAD NEWS TODAY REGARDING FISHING RIGHTS ON THE SALMON RIVER. IF YOU LIKE TO FISH FROM THE BLACK HOLE DOWN TO THE START OF DOUGELSTON IT IS NOW POSTED BY THEM. THAT MEANS THE NOW OWN FROM 104 TO THE BLACK HOLE ON BOTH SIDEDS OF THE RIVER. THIS IS GOING TO EFFECT EVERYONE. THIS IS SOME OF THE BEST FISHING ON THE ENTIRE RIVER. HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FISH THIS AREA AND NOW YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY 20$ TO FISH HERE. THERE GOING TO HAVE A HARD TIME KEEPING PEOPLE OUT THERE PLEASE DONT LET THIS STOP YOU FROM GOING DOWN THERE. YES THIS INCLUDES THE FASTWATER DOWN TO THE LITTLE BLACK HOLE AND ALL OF YOU KNOW HOW GOOD THAT SECTION IS.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 20:05:07 (permalink)
    I don't fish DSR, but I don't know the water either.
    Nice Hall Pass Tuna.

I wonder if Metal Slayer will be checking in?

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 20:25:26 (permalink)

I fished the area "before" it was pay to play. while I loved the water I hated the atmosphere, worst on the river, think about it. so I moved on to better conditions. then it became a $10.00 salmon, $5.00 steel fishery. I thought, no way will I pay , as did many who fished there and the bad habits moved on, to "free" water. Well over the years the water and the conditions is what brought and keeps me coming back. Honestly it is the best water on the river for kings, runs, riffles & yes, sucker holes all can be fished in a days outing. Sure it can get busy with anglers but there is always an open riffle just waiting for a king.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    gergie
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 20:41:38 (permalink)
    Well said Tuna!
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 22:35:01 (permalink)
    I should of known a guide would of said this. I am sure you dont mind taking your season pass and your customers down there because they dont know any better. You guides crack me up.  Your right i ment rt3 and yes I agree with you about the mess these people leave. Anyway I have landed 2 Atlantics this summer and you dont catch these by mistake. I do know how to salmon fish and if you would like some lessons I will help you. Also my point to everyone was this was great water to fish in mid August and right after labor day for EVERYONE. As for the lifters and I am not one of them they do that in DSR just as they do anywere in the salmon river. Hell they do it in the flyfishin zones. Anyway try guiding in the black river then you can call yourself a guide. Try a place were you cant SEE the fish. I had to laugh last year I was in lindsay creek and on south sandy fishing by myself and a Guide came up to me and asked if I would mind if they fished just down from were I was. I said go ahead and I want down stream I came back up that way about an hr later and they had there stringers full. Do you think they lifted them out of there. Maybe your diffrent and I hope you are and you dont take advantage of these guys and show them the proper way to fish for these salmon. Good luck having that peice of water all to dsr. I dont see that happing anytime soon.
    great spots
    New Angler
    RE: ITCHING FOR KINGS 2008/08/04 22:38:26 (permalink)
    So did I. It is the best water on the river. I guess I am just old school why would I want to pay here when I use to fish it for free.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: