Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dakotab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 358
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/15 09:50:26 (permalink)

what fly rods

What manufactures have lifetime warranties on their rods?  I want to get a good rod but like a sage but, I want to make sure if I spend 2-300 dollars on a rod that I'm not out all that money if it breaks ( I mean if I break it) I guess would be more accurate.  I just got a rod that I thought was going to be a good one, I just put the brand new reel on it upstairs wiped the wax off it and broke it walking down the stairs.
post edited by dakotab - 2008/05/15 09:53:59

31 Replies Related Threads

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 10:15:50 (permalink)
    For the life of me I can not understand how people can break a rod. I have been fly fishing for over 50 years and still have my first fly rod plus 10 or 11 more I have bought over the years. I have yet to break one and believe me i put the hours on the streams. I have treated every rod like it will be the last one I will ever 0wn. I did see one break last week the owner stood it up beside their car with the door open and the wind blew the door shut and snapped it in half. A lesson learned do not lean your prize rod up where the door will close on it.  I guess accidents will happen, but I know guys that have broken 3 or 4 rods just because because they have the attitude of oh well what the hell if I break it its got a life time warranty on it I'll get a new one. Then we all shake our heads and say why do these things cost so much. Well guess what, the price for one is jacked up to cover the cost of two.
    Treat it like its your life time friend and it will last you a life time.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Sorry it upsets you that I broke my rod or that people use their lifetime warranties and raise the price of rods for you.  I was carrying my daughter and rod (in a solid tube) downstairs when it caught on the stairs tipped forward and hit my angle ceiling.  About 4" of the rod was sticking out because the reel was on it.  I had them wrapped in a cloth so that both the top part and bottom part were even with each other so when (obviously) the reel wouldn't go down in the tube that meant about 4" of the top part was sticking out also.  That's only the second rod I've broke in about 15 years.  Anyways, fly rods are just plain expensive.  Spinning rods have lifetime warranties and aren't that expensive.  Like I said it's simple question and I don't have $300 laying around to take the chance that something like that won't happen again.  While I'm at it what companies honor their warranties when it is not the original owner.  I've never understood that.  A lifetime warranty shouldn't matter if it's the original owner or not.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 10:55:06 (permalink)
    Man, thats realy unfortunate.

Try to contact the manufacturer. They may replace a broken section but will ask for s&h, possibly a restocking fee.

formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 12:14:12 (permalink)
    Dakotab-

Everyone breaks rods, despite what the old dude with the sparkly avatar droned on about... If the question is "what rod companies have lifetime guarantees" then the answer is most of them anymore. What type of rod are you looking for? At $299, the Redington CPS rods are awfully hard to beat, especially in the "trout" sizes. Full guarantee, the same as their parent company (Sage...) I prefer this rod to the Sage FLi to be honest.

Really, most reputable companies have full guarantees on all but their most modest series of rods (ie Orvis, Scott, etc...) The TFO rod warranty seems pretty fair too- $25 to replace any broken section.

I've broken a few rods in my day- 2 on sailfish, 1 on a marlin, and 1 in the gate of a truck. Having said that, I've owned 60 or so rods and put countless hours on them, so what can you do? My feeling is this- if the rods manufacturers insist on puttin lifetime warranties on rods, well, that's their decision. Personally, I'd rather owe a bit upon breakage and have cheaper rods to begin with, but oh well. Good luck.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 13:28:07 (permalink)
    I've broken plenty of rods. Even when you are very carefull, it happens. i've broken them on fish, and because I was neglegent.  Anyone who has never broken a rod has either been incredibly lucky, or doesnt fish enough.

2 years ago, I broke the tip of a diamondback on my girlfriends back as we were walking in the dark after the green drake hatch. She stopped walking for whatever reason, and as I was not paying attention, I ran the tip right into her back. About 3 inches of the tip broke off, and she was just about ready to break the rest of it over my head. I sent the rod back, and diamondback replaced the tip section; no questions asked.

I broke a winston last year on the little juniata. It took winston a while to get it back to me, but when they did, they did work on the spiqot ferrules, the cork had been cleaned, and they buffed out a scratch on the finish. I couldn't be happier with the work they did. I guess I paid for that kind of service in the price tag.

I guess my point is, rods break, but if you buy one with a good warranty it will get fixed or replaced.

There's a lot of good rods out there. Go out and cast some at reputable fly shops, and you'll find one you like within your price range. I guarantee it.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 19:49:44 (permalink)
    dak look at it this way some guys spend money on guns some on fishing others on golf we all have our vices
    but as they say you want to dance you have to pay the band.

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 20:55:20 (permalink)
    Cabelas has a 25 year warrenty,and no cost replacement.Returned two,no fault of the rod,tripped on Elk and the rocks won,and the last,slipped on the ice.Told them what happened and was more than happy to pay for the repair,was handed a new rod both times,free of charge.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/15 22:36:37 (permalink)
    Didja check the Fish USA offerings? (a word for the sponsor)

Also check the 2008 L.L. Bean rods. They've been redone with snake guides, better grips and they're all 4-piece now. They're progressive action, which I personally prefer to the too soft, too stiff or too expensive rods.

There's just something about expensive rods that makes me nervous, whether it's around car doors, pick up truck tailgates or impulsive girlfriends.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 07:37:59 (permalink)
    loomis has probably the most honest, simple warranty scheme going.  If it is defect, they will replace it.  You send it to them, they look it over and decide.  If you need one NOW, then for $50 you get one sent to you with a prepaid tube to return the old one.  Doesn't matter how it broke.  That's a tough warranty to beat aside from a no questions asked, no fault warranty which is causing everyone money up front.

Thanks,
    Rick
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 07:46:42 (permalink)
    I'm either going with the sage launch 9' 5wt. 4 piece $199 shipped or I found an outfitter that has a clearance on a 9' 5wt st. croix legend ultra for $220 shipped.  What do you guys think?  Which one?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 08:59:21 (permalink)
    I personally would go with the st croix. I cast the sage once; it felt like I was casting a broom handle. Just my $.02
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 09:41:59 (permalink)
    Ultra legend is a better rod IMO.  That of course doesn't mean it'll fit YOU better.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 10:38:18 (permalink)
    Another thing I was wondering.  Do all Legend Ultra rods have all that "Integrated Poly Curve (IPC) tooling technology", "Advanced Reinforcing Technology (ART)", "High-modulus/high-strain SCIV graphite"?   Or is there an older model of the Legend Ultra that is different.  Like I said this outfitter claims it has never been fished and has the full factory warranty but he worded it like it's been laying around for awhile and is clearing out all his old stuff.  Here's what it said............

I have been cleaning out my fishing room and have many flyrods for sale. Many have never been fished....all are in excellent to like new condition and include rod tubes. Sizes range from 2 wt to 12 wt. Friends have bought some but I have 30-40 left. PM me here or email me from my website what you are looking for....I probably have it. Only a few of these are not current models and are priced accordingly.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 10:44:07 (permalink)
    even if it is the previous model, its a really nice rod, some even liked it better.  just send the card in and st. croix will honor it.
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 11:36:41 (permalink)
    Regardless of the model, I'd still go with the St Croix- those are nice rods. To be honest, I actually like the non-IPC rods better, though the difference is negligible, to be sure...

Better hardware on the SC too, compared to the Launch, which look and feel a bit "cheap" though they do perform farily well.

$.02
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 11:59:53 (permalink)
    This guy also has a 9' 5wt 4 piece legend elite rod for $250 if anyone wants it.  I just thought it sounded like a good deal and would let you guys know since you've been so helpful.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 14:27:33 (permalink)
    I might be a old dude with a sparkly avatar but I learned a long time ago (before lifetime guarantees) if you can't aford a new one again you better be extra carefull with the one you have.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/16 15:24:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: go-n-fishn

I might be a old dude with a sparkly avatar but I learned a long time ago (before lifetime guarantees) if you can't aford a new one again you better be extra carefull with the one you have.

Well, you got me on that one, and point well taken...

I have to admit, when I went home and thought about it, my father has never (to my knowledge) broken a rod either.

Regardless, careful or not, accidents do occur, and if you fish hard enough and often enough, it's bound to happen to anyone sooner or later. Of course, I own 60 fly rods, so what do I care?
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/17 08:32:11 (permalink)
    dakotab i have a 8ft 6 5 wt stcroix pro graphite   i bought for 100 bucks has served me well
    i really don't know if this at the time was a good rod or not i have never seen them in the st croix line up
    any one have any info on this rod?

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/17 14:58:32 (permalink)
    G Loomis, 50 bux, no bones about it. 
    cuchef
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/17 15:07:41 (permalink)
    Diamondback rods (made in Vermont) have a great warranty program. They are a high quality rod that will crack the bank when you buy them not break it.  I was fishing a small creek with a lot of deadfalls last summer and had to run down it chasing a large fish last summer breaking my rod, losing my sunglasses and trashing a cellphone in the process.  No question on replacement I expected and was ready to pay for a replacement.  That was a $600 fish but I would do it again.
    Ryan

"Cheat me on the price not the product."
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/17 19:43:24 (permalink)
    I have a couple of St. Croixs and like 'em a lot. I've found they don't have any trouble handling one line up in addition to the line they're rated for.  Only broke one rod and the manuf (Bean) replaced the tip without even asking how it happened (snapped it false casting). I think Sages are on the stiff side, though some prefer that action.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/18 15:26:43 (permalink)
    I have had a few rods brake on me over the years usually first time out with them. I've had a few with cork problems that have been replaced.
    Chris r4wr4

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/19 04:03:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cuchef

Diamondback rods (made in Vermont) have a great warranty program. They are a high quality rod that will crack the bank when you buy them not break it.  I was fishing a small creek with a lot of deadfalls last summer and had to run down it chasing a large fish last summer breaking my rod, losing my sunglasses and trashing a cellphone in the process.  No question on replacement I expected and was ready to pay for a replacement.  That was a $600 fish but I would do it again.
    Ryan

I'll agree with that too.  I had a customer break a diamondback that I had built for him.  Hi wife was vacuuming and he had left a fly on the rod and the line through the guides.  Vacuum caught the fly and sucked the first 8" of rod into the vacuum.  The rod wasn't as flexible as the vacuum roller and broke into about 6 pieces.  I told diamondback what happened and the replaced the tip for $50.  That was a VSR series, 9' 5 wt 3 pc and it was an awesome rod.

Thanks
    Rick
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/19 08:53:52 (permalink)
    I went with the St. Croix legend ultra.  Got it brand new, current model for the $220 shipped.  Thanks for advice fellas.  BTW, that Legend Elite is also brand new but, he's going to sell whatever he has left at the end of the week as a package deal to some outfitter down there so if you want it act quick.
    post edited by dakotab - 2008/05/19 09:06:32
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/20 00:56:36 (permalink)
    I broke one of my scott rods the first time I had it out. Things do happen. Mighta been a crack in it. Who knows.

I havent thrown either of those rods you are looking at, but I do know alot of folks like St Croix. Cant remember which low end sage i tryed but like someone mentioned I could have bought a broomstick and not noticed the difference. Even for 200 bucks I would like to cast the rod before I buy it.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/21 09:52:05 (permalink)
    After Saying I didn't see how anyone could break a rod I witnessed two in two weeks. The one I metioned above where it was broked when a car door closed on it and the second broke while the fella was trying to get his fly out of a tree and he was holding the rod in his mouth and it broke into two pieces. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut on that subject!!!!!

**Roderick Haig-Brown
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/21 14:14:59 (permalink)
    That's funny- did the guy break the rod because he bit it? He could have really gotten hurt...
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    RE: what fly rods 2008/05/21 16:19:29 (permalink)
    Haven't figured that out yet. I guy fixing it said there were marks in the area where it broke. Thats what we blamed him of doing anyway (bitting it in half).

**Roderick Haig-Brown
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: