Helpful ReplySo what is OFF TOPIC allowed?

Page: << < ..161718 > Showing page 16 of 18
Author
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/28 12:41:44 (permalink)
JerryS
MyWar

Curious…. Do you have a source for that SS COLA comparison?

Here is one of many articles stating the COLA figure:
https://www.yahoo.com/now/average-social-security-benefit-2022-140007748.html

per the article:
According to the SSA, the estimated average monthly benefits for all retired workers will be $1,657 beginning in January 2022. Prior to the COLA taking effect, the average is $1,565, meaning seniors will receive roughly $100 more each month and $1,200 over the year as part of the COLA increase

My other source was a student loan calculator that shows each $10,000 borrowed costing $104 per month based on a standard 10 year student loan at an interest rate of 4.66%.
https://smartasset.com/student-loans/student-loan-calculator

I couldn't find my 42M retiree source.  This site states 46M
https://www.zippia.com/advice/social-security-statistics/

Thanks. Unless somebody can find an error in this calculation it looks like the numbers check out.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/28 16:18:54 (permalink)
Porktown
DeadGator401

But I can confirm the usual MAGA signs are plywood and paint. You have to be sure they will fade and look hilariously bad within 2 years though. 
Also, please let us know what the process is like, I've always been curious about the mindset of those who make these trump like signs on plywood, and would love to see it recorded and put on Youtube.

You forgot to mention slamming a 6 pack of Bud tall boys before starting the project. If this does lead to runaway inflation, which I find to be at least somewhat of a concern if Democratic economists are saying so, I will be making my sign! I really hope a moderate Republican can make it through the primary though. Would be a no brainer vote at that point. But morons won’t allow that to happen.

As long as you understand that no matter how big your sign is and no matter how many Bud heavy tall boys you drink you still only get one vote and every Dem gets three!
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/28 17:23:38 (permalink)
Ha ha. That is good stuff there!
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/28 20:25:32 (permalink)
LDD
Porktown
DeadGator401

But I can confirm the usual MAGA signs are plywood and paint. You have to be sure they will fade and look hilariously bad within 2 years though. 
Also, please let us know what the process is like, I've always been curious about the mindset of those who make these trump like signs on plywood, and would love to see it recorded and put on Youtube.

You forgot to mention slamming a 6 pack of Bud tall boys before starting the project. If this does lead to runaway inflation, which I find to be at least somewhat of a concern if Democratic economists are saying so, I will be making my sign! I really hope a moderate Republican can make it through the primary though. Would be a no brainer vote at that point. But morons won’t allow that to happen.

As long as you understand that no matter how big your sign is and no matter how many Bud heavy tall boys you drink you still only get one vote and every Dem gets three!

Nice. Be sure to post your mindset. I want to know when you put brush to particle board, what the thought process is like. Are you still mad enough about Federal Loan borrowers getting forgiveness enough to overlook the Coup attempt, classified documents, and on and on and on and on...

also, be sure to somehow loop in China. It ain't even real if you don't somehow bring China in
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/28 22:26:31 (permalink)
I’ll make sure it is Chinese made paint. Hopefully some with fumes that will go well with the tall boy buzz.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/08/29 01:11:20 (permalink)
Porktown
I’ll make sure it is Chinese made paint. Hopefully some with fumes that will go well with the tall boy buzz.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/01 09:33:37 (permalink)
Lol...you can't even make this stuff up:

https://www.wfla.com/news...ncing-gas-car-ban/amp/
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/01 10:44:44 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

Related to this...60 Minutes did a piece last week on the nation's power grid.  It was eye opening to say the least.  It is aging quickly and our entire infrastructure is being monitored,  assessed, and literally attacked by our enemies. 
There was a targeted attack in California a couple years ago by some sniper team who knew what they were targeting.  It was a precise attack that shut down portions of the grid and they never caught anyone. Not a lot of publicity about this very important infrastructure issue. 
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/01 18:51:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2022/09/01 20:26:57
I’ve only been a MAGA nutter for a week or so and Dotard2 is already insulting me. I see now why my nutter brothers are crying all of the time. Hey Brandon, where is Hunter’s laptop??? Told him.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/02 00:10:57 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

They specifically asked people to charge their vehicles before 4pm because more solar energy is available to supply the grid with power during the daytime.

Btw this is happening because California is in the middle of an extreme heat wave. Like, a really really bad heat wave.

I suppose you would rather they just burn more gasoline and spew more carbon into the atmosphere? Just keep on doing the thing thats driving the climate change, which is causing the extreme heat wave in the first place, and keep digging ourselves deeper and deeper into a hole? Or maybe just let everybody do whatever they want and crash the power grid?

See I think that’s so dumb that “you can’t make this stuff up”.

These kinds of problems are only going to get worse you know. Not just in California, it’s also dire water shortages all over the southwest, drought in the northeast , flooding in the Mississippi valley… more extreme weather events everywhere. And the fact that people don’t take it seriously, and instead act like it’s some kind of joke when local officials try to manage these situations the best that they can is just sad.
post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/02 00:12:37
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/02 22:57:54 (permalink)
Whew Dark Brandon is just laying it out. 
What a speech! 
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 07:35:01 (permalink)
Maybe it’s because I grew up listening to heavy metal, but I enjoyed the satanic lighting. It kind of reminded me of seeing a Slayer show when I was a teenager.

I, for one, welcome our Dark Brandon overlords.
post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/03 07:36:11
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 09:14:32 (permalink)
Well, you can only hang so many "F-Biden" flags in front of your house before the guy says it back.  
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 10:41:44 (permalink)
I hope he has sufficiently POed at least 74 million Americans who voted Republican to destroy the Democrat hopes in the November elections. He keeps railing about how our "democracy" is being destroyed, and that's what the Democrats want: Democracy. Problem is, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a constitutional representative republic. 

MAGA is secure borders, strong military, energy independence, pro gun, pro police, pro law enforcement and order and locking up these career criminals, education, not indoctrination, and individual freedoms provided by God and insured by the constitution. If you don't agree with Biden, the 'Crats, and most of the MSM and vote Democrat, then you are an enemy of the state, a semi-fascist, a neo-Nazi, and totally evil. Keep on goin', Brandon, and send your party to hell.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Irisheyeball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 466
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 12:34:29 (permalink)
The market...I'm buying.
Be greedy when others are fearful....W Buffett.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 22:34:21 (permalink)
EMitch
Problem is, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a constitutional representative republic. 

I see this taking point thrown out by conservatives a lot. What exactly do you think the difference is? How do we select these representatives?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/03 23:32:59 (permalink)
Irisheyeball
The market...I'm buying.

I wish that I could. I lost so much “unrealized”, I don’t have anything to buy with and pray to break even on much of it…. My pay barely covers inflationary bills, which hasn’t happened to me for 15+ years… Where is this capital to “buy” from when others are fearful??? Unless you are a politician or other insider that knew the market was going to tank to this chit level? F Warren Buffet, EVERYONE would buy during “fearful” if they had the means to do so!!! One of the most misleading statements ever (cue Eyesngills photo of little dude’s nut shot).

Guess how the greedy are able to be greedy?

How about a fix to that system? One party offers lip service, while they skewer all of us, the other doesn’t even offer the lube.

If you are fortunate to be able to hold $100k+ in liquidity that you don’t rely on, you’ll likely turn it into $500k in 2-3 years, or possibly 2-3 months. Guess who are the only ones to be able to stash in yielding cash equivalents that long are??? Not me unfortunately. Same MF’s that don’t give a rats A what inflation is doing to the rest of us.

Let’s give away more money to fix this problem….

MAGA nutter here!
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 00:04:04 (permalink)
MyWar
EMitch
Problem is, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a constitutional representative republic. 

I see this taking point thrown out by conservatives a lot. What exactly do you think the difference is? How do we select these representatives?

A true democracy is majority rule. That's one reason the 'Crats want rid of the electoral college. They control the major population centers and usually take the popular vote by millions, so we'd have 1 party rule forever. (If they'd stack the Court, suit after suit of already settled law would be filed and given a favorable ruling to them. Probably the first suit would be to eliminate the 2nd amendment), so that wouldn't be a democracy either. The 'Crats are acting guilty of their favorite Republican charge: fascism!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 07:46:52 (permalink)
EMitch
usually take the popular vote by millions, so we'd have 1 party rule forever.

Or, maybe the other party would shift a few of their more extreme positions, like doing the best that the top 1% pay as little taxes as possible and push the bill to the middle class, and they could be the 1 party rule forever?
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 10:24:09 (permalink)
EMitch

A true democracy is majority rule.

I’d say it’s a little more than that. “True democracy” doesn’t necessarily just mean majority rules, it means the citizens vote on everything - every single law, every single rule, every single decision gets put to a vote. This is also sometimes called “direct democracy” and it’s not a very practical system of governance for obvious reasons.

In a republic, the citizens choose representatives to make decisions and enact laws on their behalf. This is what we do in the United States, and the way we choose representatives is by using a democratic system of voting to select them.

So you could call our system of government a “representative democracy”, or you could call it a “constitutional democratic republic”, (to call it a “representative republic” is redundant btw, because a republic is a representative system by definition)… But at some point this is just semantics, because the bottom line is that a democratic process is a central component of our system of government, regardless of what you call it.

The citizens vote to select every single representative in our government from school board members, to city council, to state reps, to US senators. The only exception (kind of) is the president, but even that has a democratic mechanism attached to it because the people vote to determine how the electoral college votes are apportioned.

So when you say “we don’t live in a democracy”, do you mean that we currently do not have a system of government where we vote to elect our representatives? Because, obviously, that is not accurate.

I mean, if “we don’t live in a democracy”, then why do we have any elections at all? If it’s not a democracy, should we just stop having elections?
post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/04 10:33:53
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 10:37:34 (permalink)
We’d save a lot of money not having elections. Should probably just put Trump in charge and never have another election. MAGA!
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 10:56:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2022/09/04 11:15:47
OK, MyWar. I'll agree with you to a point. We do elect our representatives, but it seems they only vote our way half the time. For example, take the abortion issue. If Mastriano is elected governor, he would veto any bill that allowed abortion of any type including**** incest, or even the health of the mother. I would surmise that many republicans (my conservative self included) would not agree with that. Additionally, if that is the line that the party takes, a majority of the representatives would vote for it, even though their district would allow abortion in certain situations. Remember, these electees represent their entire district, not just the people in their party. When the Supreme Court shipped Roe back to the state legislatures, the very most democratic decision, which in theory should allow each and every voter to have a say in the final decision, the I must ask this question:
Since we've had nearly 4 months since the ruling, why is there no referendum on the ballot in Pa right now, (and all the other states that have mid-terms). There may still be adequate time to get it on the ballot with about 3 questions, or a single question with choices; ie, For with no restrictions, against under any circumstances, or for only with restrictions, such as the 15 week time line. Can't get anymore democratic than that when it's handed off to the voters themselves. Then, if the majority in a district voted one way and the representative voted the other, then it should be up to the public to take action, such as a recall. I think that once elected, most reps may vote their own way and ignore not just their constituents, but the majority opinion of the entire district.
Whatayouthink??

JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 13:26:07 (permalink)
Porktown
Irisheyeball
The market...I'm buying.

I wish that I could. I lost so much “unrealized”, I don’t have anything to buy with and pray to break even on much of it…. My pay barely covers inflationary bills, which hasn’t happened to me for 15+ years… Where is this capital to “buy” from when others are fearful??? Unless you are a politician or other insider that knew the market was going to tank to this chit level? F Warren Buffet, EVERYONE would buy during “fearful” if they had the means to do so!!! One of the most misleading statements ever (cue Eyesngills photo of little dude’s nut shot).

Guess how the greedy are able to be greedy?

How about a fix to that system? One party offers lip service, while they skewer all of us, the other doesn’t even offer the lube.

If you are fortunate to be able to hold $100k+ in liquidity that you don’t rely on, you’ll likely turn it into $500k in 2-3 years, or possibly 2-3 months. Guess who are the only ones to be able to stash in yielding cash equivalents that long are??? Not me unfortunately. Same MF’s that don’t give a rats A what inflation is doing to the rest of us.

Let’s give away more money to fix this problem….

MAGA nutter here!

Where have you been for the last 13 years where one of the longest bull markets occurred (600+ percent gains)?  So far we haven't even lost the gains of 2021.  If you have many years before retirement you should welcome this pullback versus the unsustainable nosebleed levels at the start of this year.

I understand your aversion to the gov't throwing money at problems, but do you realize gov't (and Federal Reserve) intervention was one of the main drivers of the 13 year bull market?

post edited by JerryS - 2022/09/04 13:32:04
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 13:38:03 (permalink)
EMitch
I must ask this question:
Since we've had nearly 4 months since the ruling, why is there no referendum on the ballot in Pa right now, (and all the other states that have mid-terms).

Because, as you said, we don’t live in a “true democracy” or a direct democracy where we vote on every single law. We elect representatives, and if our representatives choose to put a ballot initiative like this up to a vote, then that’s their decision. Or they can just make whatever laws they want under the assumption that the electorate wants those laws in place because we voted them into office.

If you think our representatives only vote “our way” half the time, then that’s just a limitation of a representative democracy. But there’s also the fact that not everybody wants the same things all the time, and it’s simply impossible for everybody to get everything they want. However there is an implicit assumption in a representative democracy, where the will of the people is reflected in public policy, because the people elected those representatives.

Here’s what I don’t understand about the things you are saying though - First, when Biden said “threat to democracy” your response was “we don’t live in a democracy” which you seemed to think was a good thing because the electoral college system ensures democrats don’t always win the presidential elections even though they win the popular vote more often.

But then it sounds like you're saying that you would be in favor of putting abortion restrictions up for referendum vote, which is a more direct democratic process.

So which is it? Do you want more direct democracy? Or less?
post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/04 13:39:46
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 15:23:08 (permalink)
EMitch
When the Supreme Court shipped Roe back to the state legislatures, the very most democratic decision, which in theory should allow each and every voter to have a say in the final decision,

I’m also curious about this… Why do you think this is the “most democratic decision”?

Like I said, in a representative democracy, or a republic, not everything gets put up to a vote. There is no guarantee that this particular issue would get a referendum vote, although I would agree that they certainly should.

But consider that republicans in several states are actually blocking such abortion referendum votes, probably because after the Kansas referendum results, they know exactly what the outcomes will be.

In Michigan
https://www.washingtonpos...higan-abortion-ballot/

In Texas
https://www.axios.com/loc...tion-referendum-kansas

In West Virginia
https://abcnews.go.com/am...-access-issue-88414713

And republicans in PA aren’t making any effort to get a referendum on the ballot either, instead they are trying to sneak in a constitutional amendment that would make it impossible for any abortion restrictions to be challenged in court:

https://whyy.org/articles...ment-abortion-gop/amp/

In fact it seems that across the board, Democrats are the ones that are pushing for these referendum state level votes and the Republicans are the ones blocking it.

So I guess my real question here is this - given the “we are a republic not a democracy” talking point, and the fact that republican state lawmakers seem very unwilling to put things like abortion referendums up to voters, why is it that republicans seem to be so afraid of democracy?
post edited by MyWar - 2022/09/04 15:24:45
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 16:12:15 (permalink)
JerryS
Where have you been for the last 13 years where one of the longest bull markets occurred (600+ percent gains)?  So far we haven't even lost the gains of 2021.  If you have many years before retirement you should welcome this pullback versus the unsustainable nosebleed levels at the start of this year.

I understand your aversion to the gov't throwing money at problems, but do you realize gov't (and Federal Reserve) intervention was one of the main drivers of the 13 year bull market?

Try, more like 250%. Not every company is Tesla. Much of that growth is in a few companies too. So if you were fortunate to grab the right ones, great. I have a few mutual funds that are about 8-9 years long. After this correction, I am up 30% in each. My 401k is not even close to being up 600% in the past 13 years. And imagine 99% are similar to mine.

Agree that it is healthy for the market to correct itself.

What I am saying is, not many average people have $200k or whatever sitting around in cash. It is likely invested if you have that amount. The ultra wealthy on the other hand do keep large sums like that in cash, for instances like this. Maybe some have $10-$20k set aside to try to time the market, turning that into $50k is great, but not making you wealthy.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 17:39:35 (permalink)
MyWar, it may be that I just assumed since abortion was such a hot button issue that it would almost require or guarantee a ballot referendum. When the court sent it to the states, the vitriol by the pro abortionists, (namely the Democrats, the Feminists, and many Republicans) was so animated over a "right" that was created wrongly by the Supreme Court 50 years prior, it was as if they were a hundred feet under water and the Court was standing on their air hose, looking up and flailing their arms as if their life would be over without being able to kill their unwanted or ill conceived babies. That was not the decision, and they were up in arms over something that they totally misinterpreted, mainly because Democrats such as Schumer and the MSM kept firing them up and edging them on. (Remember Schumer)? "We're coming for you Kavanaugh, we're coming for you Gorsuch". And one crazy even came for Justice Kavanaugh. The issue simply should be a referendum on the ballot, where every voter gets to voice their opinion.
We've had referendums for other choices on the ballot, I believe in the last election. There was a referendum about judges.

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 20:22:58 (permalink)
Here's a fun clip of Former President Trump saying the same things Dark Brandon did the other night, in a 2020 speech:

https://twitter.com/matts...us/1565830087911432192
JerryS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/04 22:52:45 (permalink)
Porktown
JerryS

Try, more like 250%. Not every company is Tesla. Much of that growth is in a few companies too. So if you were fortunate to grab the right ones, great. I have a few mutual funds that are about 8-9 years long. After this correction, I am up 30% in each. My 401k is not even close to being up 600% in the past 13 years. And imagine 99% are similar to mine.

Agree that it is healthy for the market to correct itself.

What I am saying is, not many average people have $200k or whatever sitting around in cash. It is likely invested if you have that amount. The ultra wealthy on the other hand do keep large sums like that in cash, for instances like this. Maybe some have $10-$20k set aside to try to time the market, turning that into $50k is great, but not making you wealthy.

Has nothing to do with grabbing the right stocks.  If you had $100 in an S&P 500 fund on 1/1/09, it was worth $682 on 1/1/22 (582%).  Today it is worth $560, still up 460%.  My over 600% gains was based on the low in March 2009.  It is hard to be upset with returns like this.  Think long term.

Trying to pick the right stocks, or timing the market is a losing game for the vast majority of retail investors.  Unfortunately, I speak from experience .
post edited by JerryS - 2022/09/04 22:57:35

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: So what is OFF TOPIC allowed? 2022/09/05 03:15:38 (permalink)
 I would just rather buy something today for $500 and sell it next week for $1,000--$1,500. Not very hard to do the math.

crappy
Page: << < ..161718 > Showing page 16 of 18
Jump to: