Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..36373839 > Showing page 38 of 39
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9687
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/11 09:07:32 (permalink)
I made it out to Arthur yesterday to putter around with the electronics. Windy as all crap, which I figured it would be looking at the forecast the past few days. Wasn’t planning to go, but I figured it likely won’t be another few weeks. Heck, months, to be in the upper 50s. First half of trip, I was able to dial in some electronics and found a ton of structure, but didn’t appear to have any fish on them. I was getting blown off of the structure as soon as on it, even with a single anchor down (dropping down wind). I figured that I’d head to some wind protected areas. On the way there a fish broke the surface on a dropped down tree. I went to position my boat to where I’d be able to cast and be a bit wind protected. While positioning, I notice my electronics light up like a Christmas tree. I’m talking a pretty good loop away from this tree. I figure to take another loop to see if I was just seeing things. My objective was to use electronics and try to learn, so I didn’t even make it to the downed tree (could have been loaded). Got myself relatively close to what I marked and figured to give it a try. Figured it would be gizzard Shad and be a Quick Look. I end up getting a nice 12” white crappie. Pulled out 2 other 12” and a few dinks. Then, my decision to not top off my batteries before heading out bit me in the rear…. In the blind, not a single hit.
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/11 11:08:48 (permalink)
Thanks for the update. So no ice on the lake at all?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/11 14:04:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2024/02/28 13:04:05
rippinlip
Thanks for the update. So no ice on the lake at all?

I didn’t venture too far due to the wind. But appeared to be all open. Some of the shaded coves could possibly have ice. Pensfan told me years ago he had his boat out and there was a guy ice fishing one of the coves…. I’m not even that hard up for to fish!
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/11 15:05:38 (permalink)
I looked back at last seasons pics, we started going to Moraine 3rd week of March. Ofcourse it wasn't 50s last February either. I'd guess you could go to Pymie and fish down by the dam. Those fish are probably right where we left them in November.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/11 15:30:42 (permalink)
pensfan1
I looked back at last seasons pics, we started going to Moraine 3rd week of March. Ofcourse it wasn't 50s last February either. I'd guess you could go to Pymie and fish down by the dam. Those fish are probably right where we left them in November.

I don’t think there has ever been a Saturday in early February reaching close to 60, that followed 2 weeks of enough warm weather to have it open. Some of those other variables likely happen most years. Having all of those variables is pretty rare. Usually the warm days are middle of the work week. I mostly have to burn vacation days to get out in the spring or fall. Probably how it will end up being this spring.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/12 16:58:04 (permalink)
Fished the Deer Creek DHALO on Saturday, I saw maybe 10 small fish in the quarter mile stretch I walked. Sadly, I didn't land any.

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
Mitchell
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/13 12:48:40 (permalink)
Porktown
I made it out to Arthur yesterday to putter around with the electronics.

My objective was to use electronics and try to learn, 

What are you using, Pork? Lowrance, 'Bird, Garmin? Is is new to you, or just brand new? Side & Down imaging? I'll be going into my 3rd season with my Helix 7, side and down, and I carry the instruction booklet with me and to me, (I'm cyber stupid), it is a clusterflock! I screw it up bad enough that I have to get my son to straighten it out enough that I can at least see the bottom. The Demo video that Humminbird puts out tells ya how easy it is.??? Yeah, right! 

Whenever you want to know what the Democrats are up to, watch what they accuse the other side of doing.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/02/13 14:51:23 (permalink)
DM sent Mitch. I could probably write a book in this response.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/04 15:49:12 (permalink)
2 days around 528 area. Next to Zilch, zero, nadda, nothing. 3bites Sunday 1 largemouth. 2 bites today, 1 crappie. We did 5ft and in all the way to 2 ft. Water temp was 46 47 in the shallow shallows. I guess it should be anyday for that to start, you would think. Good luck. I got reports of Pymie being good. There's all kinds on pics of FB.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/04 20:34:16 (permalink)
 Set a couple minnow traps in the yard late this afternoon. Pulled them at dark, didn't want the Newts to drown overnight. Peeper frogs were going purdy good.

Not sure if going late morning, afternoon or evening till after dark yet tomorrow. Haven't kept a fish to eat in a long time. Seem to always dump the bucket out at the end. Getting low in the freezer so will probably keep some this time if having good luck. Nice to have a little live bait if artificial baits are slow. Most likely going for Pike and if they aren't active switch to whatever is hungry.

crappy 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/05 21:59:18 (permalink)
I got one of those Artie muskies that guys have been talking about. Even a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut! Got him on my bass rod, so had a 10# leader and not my panfish 6#. Enough to get him in. Not as much of a fight as I thought. Definitely some weight, but a wiper half of his size would pull him around the lake…. Guessing just a wuss? He/she (I have no clue) did 5-6 gator death rolls in my boat inside of my net that caught the line of my other rod. I definitely spent more time untangling than fighting. Was pretty awesome though. I don’t target by any means and only my third of my life. First on Arthur. Only 30”, but made my day (week/month)…. 😀
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/06 08:56:28 (permalink)
Nice job on the Arthur muskie. I’ve never caught a muskie but I’ve caught pike. Pound for pound those long skinny fish don’t seem to fight as hard fish with a deeper body like a wiper or smallmouth. But I think the appeal is that they are one the larger freshwater gamefish. Biggest pike I’ve ever caught was around 30”, and it was fun. It tired out quicker than a 20” smallmouth but I’d take pike like that all day if I knew how to catch ‘em consistently.

I’m ready to get out. Planning on splitting my time this spring between taking the boat to Arthur and wading the yough for trout and prespawn bass..

I’m thinking Arthur in the early spring isn’t the zoo that it is in mid summer. And I got some better wading gear for Christmas that I can use in cold water. Now I just need some free time to go.
post edited by MyWar - 2024/03/06 09:44:15
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/06 10:35:10 (permalink)
 Congrats on the Muskie Tim.

Made it out Tuesday afternoon with my youngest son. He caught around 20 or so Gills and Perch on small plastics. Told him to let everything go for today. The Perch looked very close to spawning. As for my efforts one LM and had one good run using a live Gill before dropping it. Didn't even put the chest wades on today.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/29 20:23:28 (permalink)
Got out today for the first time this year. Hit the yough near whitsett. Tested out the new wading gear.

Was hoping for some bass and trout, only managed to catch a few bass, nothing to brag about. But I’m not used to pre spawn fish so catching anything at all felt like an accomplishment, and no skunk.

The water was low and clear for this time of year, even after that rain the other day. Had to fight the wind a little bit. If it wasn’t for that the conditions would have been absolutely perfect for late March. Pretty good start to the year.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/29 23:14:59 (permalink)
Congrats on the smallies. I don’t have an area that I am comfortable wading in cold water that isn’t summer level, beyond 100’ sections. Such a good fishery, but the typical spring rains make it unfishable half of the spring. Usually the half that I can make it out.

I was hoping to get out this week. Work is just not allowing and really not happy about it. Kids’ sports schedules are getting to the point of taking the rest of my free time. Was nice having the early spring. Probably not making it out as much as I’d like in the next month or two now.
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: anyone fishing 2024/03/31 07:58:49 (permalink)
The Yough is a wonderful fishery. When I retired twenty years ago I would fish various parts of it about 5 days a week. My favorite all around area was near Dawson below the bridge. I never knew what the day might bring. Could be trout, bass, walleye, cats, carp or sheepshead. Primary baits were creek chubs, small suckers and worms that I collected myself. Sometimes when fishing for carp with my our homemade doughball I would stand in waist deep water and watch the carp actually pick up the bait and how they would play/test it before actually eating it. They could actually pick up the bait, taste it and spit it out faster than I could set the hook. Quite a learning experience.

Trout were everywhere in the river, you just had to put in the time and effort to tease them out of their hiding places and get them to chase your offerings. Even the days that I caught the skunk were enjoyable and often entertaining just watching nature unfold.  

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/01 09:55:24 (permalink)
Wondering what the yough is gonna look like after all the rain this week. I was hoping to get out again but this weather is looking crap.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/01 10:58:13 (permalink)
They are saying up to 3” tomorrow!!! If even half of that falls, every body of water around here is going to feel it. Since most of the lakes in the region are reservoirs, they are all going to be mud. I guess it will spread out any of the trout that have been stocked.

To add to the kick in the pants, after the rain, the temps are going to tank. I guess this is the payback for February feeling like April.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/01 12:01:45 (permalink)
Wow I had not heard 3” tomorrow. And it looks like Wednesday Thursday and maybe Friday too.

Definitely gonna be a while before I can get out again.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/01 12:45:56 (permalink)
Yough is already shooting up. I didn’t think we got that much rain yet but it’s over 5’ at sutersville already.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/03 09:02:40 (permalink)
Deer creek and Pine creek are blown out, I think the opener on Saturday is going to be a bust unfortunately. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/03 10:02:50 (permalink)
Yough is 21 ft at sutersville as of 10:00 am. I thought the forecast was to crest at 21 ft but it looks like it’s gonna be higher than that.

https://waterdata.usgs.go...7D&showMedian=true

The mon wharf is flooded and the point is probably under water too.

I imagine nothing will be fishable for awhile.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/06 14:59:21 (permalink)
Fished Deer creek this morning, water was pretty dirty and a bit quick. Managed to catch 6 with some old egg sacks I picked up in Erie back in December. 

- Dale Gribble
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/06 16:46:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2024/04/07 10:56:46
We took a ride over and checked Shenago Res. Very brown, especially up Golden Run end. I haven't seen that island under water in a good while. The Casway shoreline is basically gone. I also saw they have about 30 or so pine trees lying in the parking lot at the camp ground. They probably won't get those sunk until levels come down.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2024/04/06 20:03:57
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/07 23:17:41 (permalink)
Looks like more rain this week. Warmer temps though. challenging conditions I think but that’s spring. I guess well see what’s up. I’m gonna get out there if I can. Maybe not moving water though.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/09 07:46:24 (permalink)
Glad to see some old board members still out there.  Keep it up!  Facebook has basically ruined the adventure now....
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/09 09:24:42 (permalink)
My company frowns on social media used on their devices, so I stick away from there. I have checked it out though, not all that interested in what people had to eat or praising their kids for the slightest things. I checked some fishing reports pages, seems most of the sources that I had before link to a Facebook page, so less and less bait shops and other forums like this. A lot of spoon feeding of specific info/spots that used to be frowned upon in forums like these. One thing about helping a fellow angler with a common interest, but some don’t seem to realize or care that their posts reach thousands of others. The nice thing about the private message ability of forums like this, have no idea if social media has that. I am guilty of using their info, more from YouTube videos myself. But I am sure those local to the waters that those channels are filmed on are irate with those guys filming.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/09 09:48:31 (permalink)
Facebook has it's uses, for example: I'm in several boat/outboard/atv/lawnmower owners groups and they are filled with great information for troubleshooting and fixing stuff that breaks. The market place is decent, and the fishing groups are hit and miss. The charter captains up in erie do post great information. The hunting groups during open season are the worst, and then they become ghost towns full of spam/scams once spring shows up. But yes, if you just use Facebook for the general feed it's mostly doom scrolling through endless political rants, family clout photos, and targeted ad's. 

- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/09 12:01:15 (permalink)
If you think Facebook fishing groups are bad you should check out the fishing subs on Reddit. It’s one post after another of pictures with “forgot my scale, how much do you think it weighs?”
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
Re: anyone fishing 2024/04/09 19:54:29 (permalink)
Haha well I'm an old timer here - don't get out as much as I used to but realizing when this was at it's height it was way better than the groups that are on facebook.  Just too many people out locally anymore because information spreads too fast.  I do like it for the groups / classifieds but I don't do much on the personal side.  
Page: << < ..36373839 > Showing page 38 of 39
Jump to: