Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Randy Jones
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/12 19:33:26 (permalink)

Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY

As most of you know, the fishing has been pretty darn good for most, ok for some and occasionally slow - dead for smoothers. I'm finding steelhead in "every" single "Winter Holding" spot, top to bottom of river. You (we) might not find them in every single Winter Holding spot, but they are there, guaranteed. :) Also, you can find them in some of the transitional holding locations as they make their way up river.
Combination of older - darker fish and new fresh silver fish.
All the normal baits  (Blue - Pink egg sacks, etc...) - flies - I personally like useing natural nymph's.
All of the numerous presentational tool's and techniques are all working with varying degree's of success. Which is normal.
Please be careful of the shelf ice.
We should start to see some fish pairing up. Some do this yearly in preparation for the spawn. If you pick up a male on a specific drift, many times you will find the female on the same exact drift.
Look for some of the local Trib's. in this area to have Steelhead in them now. Once the ice is gone then you should be able to find them pretty easily. Yup, they do come up underneath the ice. Look for more Steelhead to enter most of the Trib's to Lake Ontario.
Look for the fishing to remain strong here on the Salmon River all the way into the 1st - 2nd week of May, approx.
Thanks for your valuable internet time!
To all the service men and women over seas, we will leave a few for ya upon your return.
The local economy Thanks You ALL for spending your fishing $$ here.
Best Fish's,
--------------------
Randy Jones
http://www.yankeeangler.com

32 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/12 21:13:07 (permalink)
    Great report Randy- Thank you kindly.

Lyrical
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/13 20:26:07 (permalink)
    hey guys im thinking of doing a trip to pulaskin next fall for big browns, i fish erei for steelhead but want to come up and experience the browns and salmon.  I was thinking of booking a trip with Trappers guide service to get my feet wet do you think I really need a guide? or could I find them on my own.   Are there any really good bait/tackle stores in pulaski ?

Thanks!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/13 21:53:51 (permalink)
    That's all you'll find in Pulaski. Lots of shops. A guide for Salmon? Depends who you ask.
    If you're after Browns you may be a little disappointed in the Salmon River. Just ask me. The real numbers other than Salmon will be Steelhead- which is also nice. Still they aren't Trutta's. Brown Trout rule my every thought it seems.

Lyrical
    CWTrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/14 13:59:33 (permalink)
    loaftech 
                       I would recommend useing a guide the first time .Because usually salmon seasson is very busy and it hard to find a good spot if you are not familar with the salmon river. Last year was my first year salmon fishing and I'm glad I went with a guide .Also went brown trout fishing with guide but he took us farther west on lake ontario tributies .And it was very good trip.                                                                                                                                                
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/14 18:12:46 (permalink)
    There is great Brown Trout fishing around April or May just off shore in the lake I hear. I'm gonna check it out this year. Big Browns all day long they say.

Lyrical
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/14 20:13:32 (permalink)
    The brown fishing can be great on the salmon, just have to be at the right place at the right time.Have been there the same week for the last couple of years and caught double digit brown's every day.Sorry cannot disclose where and when on the Salmon,risk the chance of getting shot by little brother and the few other men we meet there at 3:30 am,to get our not so secret spot.
    scud
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/16 17:28:17 (permalink)
    If you want to catch brown trout book a guide. Bald guide (jim) is good for getting into them
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/17 19:38:24 (permalink)
    Unless you want to fish from a drift boat there is no reason to hire a guide to fish the salmon river.  I fish it several times a year for both salmon and steelhead and it always amazes me to see the people being led along the river banks by a guide.  There are walking trails along every section of the river open to the public.  There's plenty of parking and if you buy some flies or egg sacks at any given tackle shop your get a few good tips.  If you want to fish some more secluded spots, hire a drift boat guide.  If your going to be wading just buy a 19.99 Delorme NY atlas and download some area maps from the NY DEC website AND GO.  If your thinking about hiring a guide to walk you along the river just send your 250 bucks to me instead, cause that's what your doing, throwing the money away.

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/18 22:07:29 (permalink)
    IF you want to fish a river blind thats ok.Ive never takeing a drift boat,i prefer to walk the river.But i am good friends with a great guide on the sr and the things he showed me are things a newbe will never no.Waste of money,hard to say.Youll learn a good part of the river by using a guide,and they depend on our money to put food on their plate.I always suggest using a guide the first few trips because you will learn more than you can figure out on your own.Then you can walk the river with a much better understanding of the river,therefore youll catch more fish.If it wasnt for my guide friend i would not be as successful as i am on the river.Im just lucky it only cost me a few beers and dinner to catch alot more fish.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/18 22:33:44 (permalink)
    Here's my deal- I know how to catch fish. I hired a guide this past fall. I spent the day beforehand searching for Steel & catching Salmon. Couldn't find a Steelhead to save my skin. The next day the guide has me on a stretch of river with quite possibly 100 rather large, fresh Steel & a few Salmon to boot. Dudes know where the fish are- they're on the river every day & make their reputation by putting you on fish. Well worth the money. Hell- I had the guide bring his gear too. Was a fun day.
    The day after that I was armed with a little knowledge you see. I knew where to find fish. Fished alone & was on Steel from daylight till I headed home.
    Guides are worth it in my book.

Lyrical
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/18 22:45:41 (permalink)
    Much better said.
    jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/18 22:59:02 (permalink)
    My report for sat,sunday and monday.I would have done better if i used a guide, anyway i did ok.The water was 750cfs the lower river was slushed out till 3:30pm on sat and untill  11ish (am)sunday.White eggs did the trick.Sat we landed several steely in about the 6 to 8lb range.One over 10 .The same for the rest of the weekend.All in all 2men hooked a dozen or so steelhead.Fished in mainly one section of the river.Lots of rain sunday.I expect the river to be roaring by the middle of the week.Alot of fresh fish are coming in.Some big males were caught by other fishermen .One had to be over 17lbs.Good luck to all.
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/19 22:48:56 (permalink)
    I guess that's why its called fishing instead of catching.  For me putting all my knowledge and ability to use and actually finding the fish is just as much a reward as cathing them.  My response was not a slam on guides as I have used them and will continue to do so on other bodies of water, just not the salmon river.  I can see the need for a guide to target steelhead but for salmon?  You've got to be kidding.  If you pick a spot in the lower section, say the meadows and stood there from september to november, guess what?  Every salmon that enters the river that season (that doesn't get sniped in the estuary) is going to swim past you at one time or another.  They all swim up river.  You have just as good a chance in one spot as in any other.  Unless your a snagger, then you need to congregate with the other hacks to the snagging holes. 
    I'd rather spend 250.00 on some new tackle than pay someone for something so elementary (again speaking of salmon).
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/20 16:31:36 (permalink)
    I agree 100% about the Salmon thing. Pretty hard to not find them when they're running. Well unless it's a Hoho & you're me. Last fall while I was attempting to catch Steelheads the guide I was with (Gottum) landed a nice Hoho with one of his center pin deals. It was a nice one. I've never caught one. I suck like that.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/21 17:04:36 (permalink)
    i totally disagree . a good guide will teach you more than how to find and "hook" a salmon.
    people can find them but most do not know where, how or when to fish for them.
    just look at the sucker holes filled with people and they are fishing ?/ yea right.

here is a testimonial i have:
    If you are looking to learn the correct and sporting way to score salmon and steelhead. THIS IS YOUR MAN! I spent miles & miles & hours & hours by myself trying unsuccessfully to figure out the ways of Chinook salmon. I learned so much more in one day than I did spending all those trips wondering why I couldn't hook fish. ------- is an excellent outdoorsman and sportsman. Highly recommended.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/21 20:39:51 (permalink)
    Tuna I see from your site that your making $300.oo per trip.  I guess I know what I'll be doing when I retire in a few years and I always wanted to move to the Adirondaks.

If your angler had said "  I spent miles & miles & hours & hours by myself trying unsuccessfully to figure out the ways of the STEELHEAD" Then I would congratulate you.  But since he was having trouble with chinnies I would say it is more of a reflection on him than your guiding abilities.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/21 21:21:52 (permalink)
    I may need help catching Salmon. I read tons of reports- 6 for 20, 10 for 30, blah blah blah.
    I'm doing well if I catch 2 or 3 a day. 2 years ago I got 1 strike in 3 days fishing over Salmon. I guess I just suck. Then again I don't count tail swats & bottom bumps as fish hooked. I don't attempt to line the things either.
    Steelheads are pretty stupid if you ask me. The challenge is to find them. If you find unmollested fish you should catch them without a whole lot of skill. Just my opinion. They rate nowhere near the enigma of the Pacific North West Steelheads. They are stocked & there are thousands of them.
    Hire a guide to show you the river- then go bang the hell out of them from here to infinity.
    Like I said I hired gottum to show me some honey holes. I have a wife & little ones. When I get to fish I don't want to waste the trip exploring & getting ****ed.
    Get on the fish- it's a whole lotta fun. Just sayin..

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/21 21:26:10 (permalink)
    suds:
    sorry  but that person is a highly respected and quite good angler.
    just some background what is your skill trade ?
    lets say maybe some one is a carpenter or auto mechanic by trade.
    now I or maybe you know how to fix cars and even build things, but i am not a skilled tradesman as a auto mechanic or carpenter, thats why i hire  an expert in their field.
    so does that mean everyone who holds a rod ,can catch a fish,walk in the woods or shoot a firearm is a skilled guide ? to me there is much more involved that just those simple things.

please i mean no disrespect to anyone , as i expect the same in return.
    i would never put down another persons trade, even a ditch digger
    everyone is free to spend their hard earned money as they see fit

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/21 21:41:55 (permalink)
    Tuna- Speaking of your services- MRD & I were chatting about maybe doing a Striper trip.

Lyrical
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/22 00:15:02 (permalink)
    I have no bone to pick with fishing guides.  I have admitted that I use them occassionally and will continue to do so for certain applications.  My point was that your wasting money to hire a guide to take you wading along the banks of the salmon river to catch salmon.  The only exception would be if you have no fishing experience at all or you don;t have any of the needed equipement but of course for the 300.00  to hire a guide you could buy a very nice spinning rod outfit and pair of waders and some eggsacks to boot. 

I admit I may have had a little attitude in responding to your post but your reply was so self serving it's hard to take it on it;s face value.  You would have done yourself better to just reply with your initial paragraph of disagreement and then forego the "testimonial" and remove the signature link.  Every time a guide posts on a message board where a link to his website is contained in the post you can't help but to dismiss it as it's hard to get around the thought that the involvement in the forum is only as a means of free advertising.  IF a guide really wants to share they're knowledge and participate in the conversation, no link or advertisement would be displayed. 

PS, I'm in finance.

Thanks

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/22 13:42:08 (permalink)
    I spent a lot of days my first few years on the SR going up in August with WB when the water was very low and walking from Pulaski to the lower clay looking for early Kings, but mostly seeing bottom and catching fallfish.  In any given 100 yard stretch of the river there are a lot of parts where Salmon are going to be moving through, and a few spots where they are likely to pause and rest, and I think be more inclined to take a well presented fly or bait.  It took a few years to get the sense of where those taking spots were, and of course as the bottom changes, so do the taking spots.  A good guide who is on the river all the time knows these spots, or what the "right" water looks like, and he or she can save the neophyte a lot of time.  AS HT says, I can fix my car, but if the shop manual says its a 3 hour job, I generally figure it will take me 9, a busted knuckle of two, and trips to the parts store on foot while the car just sits.  My mechanic has it done in 3.

HT was on the river, and on this site, for a lot longer than he has had his NYS #, and he's provided a LOT of free advise and information to a lot of folks over the years, so I don't see anything wrong with his link now.  Having been on the river with him before he went pro, I can attest to both his professional abilities and his pleasant demeanor, and a person could do a lot worse pocketing 250 or 300 bucks and spending a weekend walking the banks trying ot figure out the right spots for putting one on, Salmon, Brown Trout, or Steelhead than helping him feed his kids and getting shown some of his knowledge.  And having fished ADK ponds for over 40 years, you could spend a lifetime dragging boats and hiking back in and not learn as much as you would in one day with someone who knows the spots.

JMHO.

L13 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/22 16:14:49 (permalink)
    A good guide is worth every dollar you spend on him where ever he guides.On the SR a guide cuts your learning curve way down ,JMO and I'm not a guide.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/22 17:03:57 (permalink)
    What 13 said!!
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/24 00:23:13 (permalink)
    This thread should be changed : A GUIDE OR NOT A GUIDE     

Anyway, just to add a small note.  I personally have never hired a guide for the Salmon River, but after 17+ years fishing there, I realized that it would have been much wiser early on to hire one.

I know many guides, but one in particular, who has been guiding the SR the longest of any. I can tell you that one day he came up to me while we were both fishing(he wasn't guiding) and in twenty minutes showed me a very successful yet subtle technique for fishing this river that I never considered or encountered in 17 years.

Consider this if you're thinking of a guide or not a guide, do it.

Tight lines,

OldSalt
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/24 17:11:01 (permalink)
    Check in more often Old Salt- let us know you're doing ok.
    Same for Lucky, Wader & the rest of you old board dudes.

Lyrical
    CWTrout
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/27 12:13:15 (permalink)
    I'm thinking about doing a salmon river trip around the end of march for some stealhead.An I was wondering if the stealheads are still spread out through the whole river at the end of march.And is egg sacs still the best bait to use or should I try something else.Thanks for the info.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/27 16:52:59 (permalink)
    Egg sacs always work so I hear. End of March there will be fish spawning I would think. Probably fish everywhere. There are plenty of Steelheads around. I'll be heading up as soon as I can get away- probably around that time if the snow isn't too deep.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/27 18:42:56 (permalink)
    CW:
    the end of march can be very tricky meaning if a long warm spell happens then the flows could be very high
    that aside: fish should be staging for spawning with fresh fish entering due to run off drawing them in
    so majority up- minority down
    once the fish are in spawning mode and water temps hit 40 degs. i would say the best choice would be swinging streamers.
    same theory as salmon, it's an aggravation tactic.
    egg sacks will also take fish as they always do but i feel the majority taken on sacks will be fish that have been in the system for a short time and have not seen an egg sac every day.
    also a good tactic if spinning is to use rapala's and other stick bait lures
    i like a jointed & rainbow trout color (FJ11) 4 & 3/4"
    make sure you read and follow the regs when using hardware.
    you can also drift flies on your spin rod.
    At times the key is to be different than everyone else

good luck.

CWTrout
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing Report for the Salmon River Pulaski NY 2008/02/28 23:40:13 (permalink)
    Hey guys thats for the info.Defiantly going to give the salmon river a try for some stealhead. Good luck to you guys.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: