Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/10 20:28:34 (permalink)

Pymatuning Lake 2018

Awfully quite from the historic lake. Something telling me everybody too busy catching to be blogging???

Which is great but I'm thinking yinz might wanna keep an eye on the weather beginning this Friday afternoon thru Sat afternoon. I'll leave it ta yinz to see what the weather dude is sayin but, I'd recommend to have a look see.

Marcos if yinz is cummin muup this weekend, bring yinz snowblower.

Subject to change without further notice.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/11 14:07:01 (permalink)
SUBJECT TO CHANGE......  Flood and Winter Storm watch.

Hip boots may be necessary for ice fishing until the refreeze begins Friday night.

Do make sure to take along your shanty anchors.

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Rain likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 58. South wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Tonight
Rain. Low around 44. South wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Friday
Rain before 2pm, then rain and sleet between 2pm and 4pm, then freezing rain and sleet after 4pm. Temperature falling to around 26 by 4pm. South wind 9 to 14 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night
Snow and sleet, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -2. North wind around 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow. High near 17. North wind 11 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 15.

Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.

M.L.King Day
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 21. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday Night
A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 16.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/12 09:49:40 (permalink)
Saw this posted on the FaceBook page for Shenango River........ accuracy not confirmed.  You be the judge!!!

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/12 10:36:24 (permalink)
So I can get on the ice somewhere between 4" and 5" since I weigh more than 200 but less than 800?  Not saying which I'm closer to.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/12 13:40:41 (permalink)
rsquared
So I can get on the ice somewhere between 4" and 5" since I weigh more than 200 but less than 800?  Not saying which I'm closer to.  

Be more than happy to have ya give it a shot, once the the temps. get back to normal for this time of year.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/19 21:53:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2018/01/22 14:41:55
Made it onto the ice at Pymie today and Christened a new fishing shanty along with a new Jet sled.   Shanty was purchased through FishUSA and the sled was a last minute purchase at Richters along with a few dozen minnows and maggots.  The shanty was easy set up/tear down and fit back in the bag with absolutely no effort on my part. I took my neighbor along for a day on the ice and he set the thing up, tore it down and cursed it back in the bag..... priceless!!!  

Glad we had the shanty today, the south wind would have been just too much to enjoy sitting on the open ice.  However the sunshine was outstanding warming the hut, enough from the outside, so we could keep both doors open in the event there would need be a mad dash for a tip-up.  As for tip-ups, well yinz should know by now, I don't spot burn........  stupid fish.

Several shanty's set-up when we arrived with a few more hopefuls arriving after, but we found no one marking or catching fish. 

We vacated the the area shortly before 2:00 PM and I traveled to Lake Wilhelm where I fished with my nephew until 7:30 PM and of course, no spot burning.... stupid fish. 

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/19 22:13:34

Attachment(s)

Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/19 22:26:29 (permalink)
Nice

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 09:41:26 (permalink)
Thank you Meatball, wasn't difficult to pick me out of the crowd, I was so happy I was glowing and you should have seen me after sundown on Wilhelm.  lol   No tight lines (that's just me, being me) but good times for sure.

While on the ice, (and not catching) I tried one of them 'chyts & giggles' experiments, you know one of them things that you laugh about years from now, and I was pleasantly surprised, and very happy to share the results.... but I'm not going to 

Seriously though, I used a 1/4" masonry bit to drill pilot holes for my ice anchors.  PRICELESS....  the anchors started really, really, easy screwing down using one finger til they bottomed out requiring a few more turns by hand to tighten.  I would think a paddle bit or a twist bit may even work better as I had to apply a bit of pressure with drilling the holes.  However, I did get better results using the drill motor on high speed.  Also the bit I was using could be a inch or so  longer which would allow for better insertion.  Wait...... What?  I should have known that, I seem to have heard that somewhere before???

I also tried driving 'Lag Screws' but ended up blowing out the ice in a giant 'Bulls-eye' untillllllll I pre-drilled the holes then the lags pulled down.  HOWEVER, I recommend NOT driving the lags down completely, leaving enough exposed, just in case you need to use a 'catspawl' to lift as you use the drill to remove the screws.  Second choice would be to just leave your shanty until the ice melts and the lag screws are no longer stuck in the ice.

Good times and tight lines.

JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1088
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 13:12:10 (permalink)
I thought you were told to stop these nonsense post. You're driving forum members away.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 14:21:46 (permalink)
JM2
I thought you were told to stop these nonsense post. You're driving forum members away.

Now where in the world would you hear such a silly thing as that.  Moi drive forum members away????  Why I never.... I just ignore em, especially the ones with the big mouth.

Good times and tight lines. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 15:52:48 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Made it onto the ice at Pymie today and Christened a new fishing shanty along with a new Jet sled.   Shanty was purchased through FishUSA and the sled was a last minute purchase at Richters along with a few dozen minnows and maggots.  The shanty was easy set up/tear down and fit back in the bag with absolutely no effort on my part. I took my neighbor along for a day on the ice and he set the thing up, tore it down and cursed it back in the bag..... priceless!!!  

Glad we had the shanty today, the south wind would have been just too much to enjoy sitting on the open ice.  However the sunshine was outstanding warming the hut, enough from the outside, so we could keep both doors open in the event there would need be a mad dash for a tip-up.  As for tip-ups, well yinz should know by now, I don't spot burn........  stupid fish.

Several shanty's set-up when we arrived with a few more hopefuls arriving after, but we found no one marking or catching fish. 

We vacated the the area shortly before 2:00 PM and I traveled to Lake Wilhelm where I fished with my nephew until 7:30 PM and of course, no spot burning.... stupid fish. 

. Now that is a nice hut ... don’t do the hard water fishing but glad you are having fun . Many huts out in Wilhelm? I just cooked up my last bag of fish still have hot sticks my neighbor gave me from his deer ... so if you do have a good ... I mean a great day in the hut , I’ll send you my address so you know where to drop some fish off 😜👍😜.... ok just joking ( I think ) .... enjoy your hut fishing bud .... good luck

STEVE.
mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 17:52:20 (permalink)
Was on Wilhelm this evening for a few hours.
Looked like a small city of huts down by the dam. Ha. Wasn't anyplace to park even if I did want to join the fun
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 18:29:35 (permalink)
mikesdad
Was on Wilhelm this evening for a few hours.
Looked like a small city of huts down by the dam. Ha. Wasn't anyplace to park even if I did want to join the fun

No greater time to be on the ice than a weekend evening.  Villages of huts scattered from one end of a lake to the other, only evidenced by the twinkle of lanterns and flashlights.   Been a few years since seeing that on any local lake, especially Wilhelm.  I for one am very happy,  to see her coming back and I've a strong feeling I am not the only one..... huh, Mopars?   FYI buddy, and keep this a secrete, I got a few dozen fillets stashed just in case of a long winter so just holler, if the craving becomes unbearable.   

Like a good neighbor BTDT will be there 'cause, your in good hands.   Good grief,  I think I been mesmerized by insurance commercials, I gotta get back on the ice.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/20 18:36:30

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 18:43:29 (permalink)
HEY MOPARS  no time like the present buddy, the ice is 8 inches thick and we aint gotta be over deep water, not that we would fall through, but that does give one a better feeling knowing ya can touch bottom, just in case.

Ya only have to promise one thing and that's ya gotta remember who you will be fishing with,  so don't expect to catch any stupid fish. 

Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 18:58:06 (permalink)
Love it, good to see you're having fun, good idea with the predrill too

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 20:26:58 (permalink)
As I was leaving the park in the afternoon on the 19th, I saw a banner being staked at the entrance.  Not absolutely sure but I thought the caption read something about "Polar Bear Plunge" sometime in February?  Am I thinking that may not be a good day to be on the ice unless you enjoy watching scantly clad (as in wearing a bathing suit or speedo) individuals runnin' around on the ice looking for open water? 

Pretty sure this a fund raising event for a very good cause so if one of you guys; Captain, Jigs, Meatball, Mopars, rsquared or Marco would be interested in a sponsor, let me know.  I'd offer Registered the deal but he is crazy enough to drive all the way up here to do it.  Besides he probably has enough sponsors as is.

Oh, did I mention, pictures must and shall be taken and posted on the forum.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/20 20:33:09

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/20 23:44:36 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
  Not absolutely sure but I thought the caption read something about "Polar Bear Plunge" sometime in February? 

so if one of you guys; “Captain, Jigs, Meatball, Mopars, rsquared or Marco” would be interested in a sponsor, let me know...

Oh, did I mention, pictures must and shall be taken and posted on the forum.
. OK HOW CAN I ANSWER THIS NICE........ HECK NOOOOO 😜👍

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 06:27:50 (permalink)
Thankyou for returning my call so promptly and what a kind response. lmao

Have a great day Steve.

Going to be a beautiful day on the ice at Pymatuning today. I gotta git.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/21 06:32:10

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 08:53:20 (permalink)
Did that once n March, played hooky from 4th grade, broke the ice on our little orange creek stripped down and was swimming when the preacher caught me. Not being of sound mind when he yelled at me I went to the other bank. He wasn't a good pitcher cause when he tried to throw my clothes to me they did not make it! He carried me home, naked, to our back door. I remember how sweet my mother sounded while he was there and told me to take a hot bath so I wouldn't get sick. After he left she came to the bathroom door and in her sweetest voice asked if I was in the tub and when I said yes she kicked that door open with a belt and had me trapped in the tub! Never got so much as the sniffles but never went swimming in the winter again and won't so BT I'll pass. Funny part of this is I didn't get the whippin for playing hooky just for swimming.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 11:01:18 (permalink)
Allll hell Jigs, I would even paid for the Speedo. Ummm, a cheap Speedo.

Thanks for the return call and stay well.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 11:49:01 (permalink)
Thanks I'll pass also.....did that many moons ago at a fancy private health spa as a guest. We went from a sunken hot whirl pool bath into an ice plunge pool ! Talk about a super rush...crazy! Going from 110 degrees to 35 degrees in seconds ! I think that practice is long gone. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 12:07:15 (permalink)
 Good Grief Captain!!!    I thought going from a 94 degree hot tub to a 78 degree swimming pool and back was nuts.  Took 24 hours to find the family jewels.  In fact, every once and a while, things still look a bit foggy when fishing.

Thanks for the return call and stay well.

Meatball
Expert Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 19:11:19 (permalink)
I always wanted to try it (cause I'm an idiot). I once ran across the ice on my old man's pool and went in, hit the cover and got shot to the middle, had to feel my way back to the hole I went in, scared the hell outta me, but I got out...laughing...I'll think about itA few drinks I'll do almost anything potentially harmful lol

-- Frank Sinatra
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 20:05:48 (permalink)

I don't recommend running to the edge of the beach and diving in.  I been looking for more info on the event but as yet found nothing on the internet.  Guess I'll have to plan another ice fishing trip to the Jamestown park entrance and find out.  Saw a article about winter events held at the park in the past and there's mention of a couple thousand people being in attendance and included snowmobiling.  Don't know if the Polar Bear Swim is one and the same.  What fun it would be dashing through snow, on a snowmobile, wearing just your speedo.  Don't think ya would be singing Jingle Bells be more like singing freeze your...... uhhh never mind.

Hey speaking of ice fishing, you could of run around on the ice today in your birthday suit if ya wanted to, I know I'm usually in the clouds but it got a bit foggy today.

LOOK WHAT I FOUND HANGING ON MY HOOK  stupid fish

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/21 20:12:50

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/21 23:19:08 (permalink)
👍👍👍. Now that’s what I’m talking about .. I did go shopping today , our local Kmart is closing got some good deals on some # 8 & #10 spiderwire line ... of course wifey had to get us both new shoes like we don’t have enough.... lol. Oh think she is reading this gotta go ...😜😜😜
post edited by mopars0 - 2018/01/21 23:25:23

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/22 06:15:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2018/01/22 14:47:48
How Foggy was it?

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/22 06:17:42

Attachment(s)

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/22 08:15:59 (permalink)
Hey BT, I've yet to hear anything about "Leadership by example!"
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/22 09:08:35 (permalink)
Nice , I guess under all that snow & ice there are a few fish around.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/22 09:27:30 (permalink)
The Plunge is Feb. 3 and it benefits the Relay for Life of Pymatuning.  $25 to enter

http://www.pymatuningtrailblazers.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Fun_Days_Flyer_2018.33463651.pdf

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=86340

Ummmm, pretty sure I'm busy that day but thanks for the invite btdt.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Pymatuning Lake 2018 2018/01/22 09:48:03 (permalink)
Walleye jigs
Hey BT, I've yet to hear anything about "Leadership by example!"

Exactly. I'm trying to lead others into doing something I sure as hell ain't gonna do.     Besides Jigs if you ever saw me in a Speedo, you'd have nightmares at least a month after. 

Captain can you believe that, I caught some fish and they weren't out of a minny bucket. lol   None were big enough, though a few Gills came close, to invite home for a dinner.  But I'll continue to practice , as I have for years, the old proverb;  If At First Ya Don't Succeed, try looking for a Friday Night Fish Fry.

Raining at 5:00 this morning and again at Six too so I went back to bed, which is probably what I would have done anyway 'caus draggin' all that gear, across the ice by myslf brought back memories of muscles I long forgot I had.   Couldn't get my neighbor to go back out with me, how the hell did I know he was now reading the forums.    He'll be sorry when he sees the fish I caught... I hope!!

Gotta git,  not sure if water is over the ice yet so I gotta go see.  Be a good time to check out my hunting boots and see if they truly are water resistant and still, be on top of the ice.

Good time and tight lines.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Jump to: