Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/06 21:15:51 (permalink)

Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ?

Maybe it's me, but the newer Pa. Fish Commission website is like complicated to browse around for certain info. Too much time searching and clicking windows open and shut.
I tried for 10 minutes to browse and read biologist reports for our local area lakes and I just gave up!
Couldn't find Pa. yearly catch records either. The old site was simple stuff to me.
Anybody else think the same , yes , no, maybe ?

36 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/06 21:28:27 (permalink)
    Typical goverment run websight Brock. They fail to see the good in the age old adage "Keep It Simple Stupid". They just get the "stupid" part.

PS. I agree.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/06 22:41:20 (permalink)
    YES  sam
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 06:19:14 (permalink)
    Yes,New and improved.lol As to old and simple.
    graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 08:00:32 (permalink)
    A waste of money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 08:35:29 (permalink)
    I hate the new website. I sent a email to PFBC, and I got a response back within the same day. The reason for updating is b/c their research has shown a majority of website "hits" came from mobile devices and tablets. As far as the broken links and missing pages, PFBC said it was cause of the migration to new servers, and Google in the coming weeks will be cleaning out bad links. So time will tell

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 09:30:00 (permalink)
    I love it.  I think it's easier to navigate and much cleaner looking.  Most of the changes reflect instant access to the most  commonly used links/info I'd imagine.  I don't dig into much on there, other than to look at region reports, check regs from time to time and trout stocking schedules.  

icecube
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 10:56:55 (permalink)
    Yea the old website was better.

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 11:07:22 (permalink)
    Now they can easily drop a cookie on your backside and watch where you go! Careful what you type Big Brother is watching!😀😁😂😥
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 11:27:24 (permalink)
    I got a response today from them and they helped me figure some of it out. I like looking at year to year award catches of biggest fish in Pa.
    http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/BiggestFish/Pages/default.aspx

Just seemed easier navigation on the old site this one requires more windows to find and open. 
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 16:22:08 (permalink)
    Old dog,I caught a ten pounder at the spillway on a Vib-E in 2009 early April. Surprised me. The locals said they stocked them in Pymy. The locals also cried when I released it. I never ate one but my uncle and I once caught 45 huge Pymy white bass and he thought they'd make a great fry. Well not so great I ate walleye.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/07 17:29:36 (permalink)
    Rich , something went crazy a few years back on Pymy and nobody seems to know for sure what. There were rumors that some Hybrid Bass were released into Pymy by mistake. Who knows maybe a mistake, maybe not. Well it must of happened because people were catching a few nice ones here and there for a few years. Not many caught, but enough that they were showing up. I personally love to catch them because they are just awesome fighters. I'd be all for introducing them to more lakes around us , and being a hybrid there would be no worry on controlling numbers. They are a super sport fish that would make anybody thrilled to battle!

As far as eating I have tried them and was not impressed with a few we kept years ago. I have caught plenty in Shenango and have released about 99%. Some guys say they are good eating just have to fillet proper. They say White Bass are the same if you fillet them proper they are good too. I'm a Walleye eater when it comes to table fish, most others go free. I haven't heard of any Stripers caught in Pymy past few years so I think most are no longer around. 

One thing that has always had me wondering about Pymy is that in all my years of fishing and talking to others how is it possible that that lake has no Pike ! Seems Pike are just about everywhere but I have never seen any come from that lake. Seems impossible but true.

2013 huh? Tiger Musky award 2nd place.....lol
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 00:30:02 (permalink)
    I remember Lake Wilhelm being overrun with Pike to the point you caught them with ease and they were referred to as hammer handles.

Wouldn't break my heart to see them restocked just to get rid of the shad.

Pike is very good eating.

Perhaps a email to the PFBC on their new sight will get an answear to your question.

My guess is Pike reproduction is difficult to control in the wild. Not popular as tablefare and, there are no clubs or organizations promoting Pike. In addition Pike are voracious feeders and compete with and/or eat other (more popular) fish.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/08 00:48:20

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 03:58:48 (permalink)
    I caught a few really nice pike years ago below the dam in the river,when I winter / early spring walleye fish. They hit white twister tails on 1/8 jig heads. Biggest was 38 inches and released. In the last 10 years just learn how to fillet the Y bones out of them. This may sound weird but only eating eyes,gills,crappie,and perch, I put the stinky pike way up on the list as table fair. I had a big fry one year,and one cookie sheet had walleye fillets cut into portion size pieces the other had a 40 inch ice fishing pike cut into 3-4 inch pieces fried in the same breading. After a few adult beverages we had a taste test. I asked the guests what tray of eyes they like best. By a small margin the pike won. Of  course once I told them it was pike,some changed there mind.lol
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 08:22:16 (permalink)
    I just always wondered how Pike avoided being in there naturally . I've caught Pike just about everywhere around in Mercer, and Crawford county. Swamps , creeks , lakes ,and rivers. I don't really target Pike but I've been amazed that Pymy has none.

As far as eating I've heard just like other fish they are good. Once again the proper filleting makes a difference. Might of had some years ago can't recall.

BTDT yes both Wilhelm and Shenango were stocked heavy with Pike when first dammed up.
    Crazy numbers of Pike were caught then. We landed 21 Pike in one outing on Shenango Lake back in the late 60's. They loved smacking spinner baits then !  
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 08:58:06 (permalink)
    Much like when coyotes move into new territory, the red fox are killed/pushed out. I would venture the huge population of Musky in Pymy have all but eliminated pike.
    opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 09:44:08 (permalink)
    I go back to 1959 as my first trip, my father fished that lake from when it was formed.  Nary a pike!

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 10:02:55 (permalink)
    That is odd. Never caught a Pike in there myself. All the trolling you would think there would be a stray around.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

joshm3357
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 10:23:26 (permalink)
    I liked the ticker news feed they had on the old website with the most recent news and biologist reports.  I can't find that now.  I actually don't mind the rest of it after I got used to it.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 11:53:34 (permalink)
    I guess you could say Pike are Coyotes of the water having but two predators; man and Musky. Sure wouldn't be much left having both Musky and Northern Pike in the same lake.

Musky population, of course, can be controled through hybridation which uses the Pike in the raising thereof.

Northern have no problem with spawning in lakes, criks, rivers, etc, as other species do.

Always likened catching a Pike in a lake to that of fighting a log until that log surfaces, then yinz better have the drag set and set right.

Catch em on a live bait under float, tossing jigs, spinners, spoons, plugs and I think on a bare hook. Darn things will eat anything except weeds..... sorry.

Find shallow water holding dead weed over a hump along deep water and drop dead cut on the bottom through the ice; sit back, chew on some deer jerky while, enjoying a hot cup of Captain Morgan Coffee.

But don't take my word for any of this because, as easy as it sounds, I can't catch this stupid fish... either!

I do however, know about the Morgan Coffee and the deer jerky**.

** When provided by others..... stupid deer!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/08 11:57:36

joshm3357
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 13:06:32 (permalink)
    Pike need weeds to spawn.  I think most those lakes mentioned are sprayed for weed control which is probably why there are only small populations left.  I dont know that they were ever stocked in Pymatining.  I could be wrong...

A local PA lake I fish has both pike and musky and the fishing is great for all species of fish.  They will not eat every other species out of the lake. They primarily follow large pods of whatever baitfish a certain lake has.

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 13:50:34 (permalink)
    Conneaut Lake has a good population of both too
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 17:09:13 (permalink)
    Yea some lakes have both, maybe one out populates the other. Shenango has both also, but Pike numbers are higher then Musky. Hardly any weeds in Shenango, while Pymy is loaded with weed cover.

Just an odd thing that Pike are nonexistent in Pymy while all lake around it have Pike or both.
    Shenango Pike in hand.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/12/08 17:24:28
    bubbaman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 19:51:03 (permalink)
    the game commission web site is a mess now also, why can't they just leave things alone that are working , they probably paid some outside agency to redevelope the web page that was fine to most people, instead of spending the money thet don't have on something that needed fixed.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 20:13:45 (permalink)
    I've fished the Allegheny River for 55 years and I've never caught a pike, though both my boys have. I've only ever caught one musky, though I don't target them either. The boys have caught quite a few. I think northerns and muskies co-exist ok in most waters, and even though they're both voracious feeders, a late In-Fisherman survey/study shows that Musky don't hurt the walleye population at all, but anybody who has ever fished Canada has had a big Pike grab their caught walleye. They aren't called the Water Wolf for nothin'. As for table fare, at Island 10 on Lady Evelyn lake in Canada, every week there's a fish fry, with 5 different species deep fried with Shore Lunch coating; the object being to guess which species you're eatin'. Pike, walleye, small mouth, whitefish, and sucker. Rarely does anyone get it right. To me, most all fish is good, 'cept I have no taste whatsoever for catfish. Lake Arthur has pike and musky, yet has walleye, small and largemouth bass, crappie, blue gills, and stripers. The more species, the better for me!
    I'm still tryin' to figure out the new website.
    post edited by EMitch - 2016/12/08 20:16:01

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 20:15:37 (permalink)
    Well bubbaman both agencies have royally screwed up their responsibilities in field and water so why not fix something else that ain't broke?

I understand having difficulty in using and understanding a new system but that is not the problem with either sight.

Just like changes they have made in fishing and hunting, the web sight just doesn't work.

All at the cost to the PA Angler and Hunter.

But there's always tomorrow and maybe something will work.... for a while.

Sorry about the rant fellas..... cabin fever. Or brain freeze?

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 22:04:09 (permalink)
    So the new Pa.Game site is bad too, why does that not surprise me!

Your right John they have a way of complicating everything that should be simple!

For the first 20 years I hunted nothing ever changed.
    Never had to read the game book, most rules or regulations were applied state wide. Simple !
    Now ! You better read it, they change something every year just to confuse you.

4 on the side here , 3 on the side there, 3 up over there !  
    Wear orange walking ,don't have to wear orange walking ! WTF

I guess if things stayed like the old days "simple and easy " these guys wouldn't have a job!

Seems like with all the changes made they eventually go back to the way it use to be !  lol 

What a joke !

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/08 22:41:55 (permalink)
    Never a problem finding what they think you want to see or what they want you to see.

But don't expect to find with ease subjects you desire.

Franklin I don't care about trout programs or John Arway's pet SOS project but you can find that info.

Likewise I could care less about mentored hunting or special youth pheasant stocking programs but try and figure out if you can hunt this on Sunday but not that on Sunday or you can shoot this on Friday, Sat, and Sunday but not on Mon Tues, Wed, or Thurs.

And don't even ask me what I think of the bogus Antler Restriction thingy.

Ya know, I think there might be something to that "getting things off your chest" thingy.

I seem to suddenly feel better.

Anyway, anybody using a android to type and access the internet. When I turn spell check on I can not use names like Arway cause the thing changes it to Array or type Mon. for Monday without the thing changing it to Monk. Don't even use words like ain't cause it ain't gonna let ya do it.

Stupid spellcheck.

Hey..... you know, I'm feeling even better.

Than again; maybe there's truth in " ya can't teach a old dog new tricks"...... uhh, no offense Old Dog.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/12 05:25:38

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/12 00:27:49 (permalink)
     It's not "getting things of your chest" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty1-cMFYMDk

post edited by crappiefisher - 2016/12/12 00:35:09
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Newer Pa. Fish Commission web site ? 2016/12/13 15:59:25 (permalink)
      C.Hook, I have wondered why Pike are not present in Pymy. As easily as most fish hitch hikers get around it seems strange. I also eat Pike and consider it one of my favorite on the table. That said, I have only eaten them in winter as my old neighbor told my they taste muddy out of the warm summer water. I eat them year round in Canada. I fish Georgian Bay of Huron and they are much more muscular compared to the Pike I catch in Pa.
      PSU fish, A biologist in Canada once told me that all predator fish love to eat young Pike. I do not know why young Musky would be any different, however I neglected to ask him. On that note I bought an imitation 9" pike bait to fish with in Canada and I am looking forward to using it. I have caught many Pike up to 10 lbs. with obvious tooth-grab marks and once saw a Musky intent on eating a 24 " or better Pike in P. I.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: