Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2015/02/25 15:14:39 (permalink)

Tamarack Lake............

Despite some unexpected delays, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission officials remain optimistic that the Tamarack Lake project is moving forward and will be completed as originally planned in 2018.
"This is a major project and we want to do this right and have a safe facility," said Eric Lewis, Pennsylvania Fish Commission spokesman. "We understand that the residents are anxious for the work to be completed, and we are moving right along toward refilling the lake in 2018."

Tamarack Lake was completely drained in April of 2012 because of severe structural problems with two dams. The lake was originally constructed in June 1962. It was then simply known as Tamarack Swamp because of the Tamarack trees, which lose their needles during the fall. The swamp emptied into French Creek. The undertaking was known as the Mill Run Project in 1962.

The lake was an important a flood control project because of severe flooding in Meadville in 1913, 1947, 1948, 1959, 1960 and 1964. The 1959 flood was one of the costliest in Meadville history

When the swamp was developed into a 565-acre lake under the jurisdiction of the Fish Commission, it became noted for fishing of black crappie, bass and muskie and was heralded as one of the most beautiful lakes in the region.

Shortly after the lake was drained, the Friends of Tamarack Lake was formed by local residents to serve as an advocate for restoring the lake. The Friends of Tamarack Lake have been active every year in picking up garbage such as old tires and bottles from the lake's bottom.

In an e-mail response to West Mead Township Secretary/Treasurer Jill Dunlap, Paul Urbanik, an engineer with the Fish and Boat Commission, stated that he expects the process to be completed and the lake refilled in 2018.

"We were hopeful to get the design completed this month but we had a few delays when dealing with the state regulatory agencies during the permit pre-application period," Urbanik wrote. "The consultants had some design revisions to address and we are awaiting the 95 percent design submission, which is due at the end of February, and the 100 percent submission (which) is due at the end of April. Although we did lose a few months during the design phase, I still believe that having the lake restored in 2018 is fully obtainable."

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/02/25 18:53:23 (permalink)
Thanks for the post! Was wondering what was going to happen with this place. I figured it would be gone for good. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/02/25 21:58:33 (permalink)
Had it not been built for flood control, Tamarack would have been but a memory to many of us.  They say there is structural damage to both dams which I find interesting as the lake was drained to repair the one dam prior to, Tamarack being designated Musky brood water.  That went over like a led balloon (lol) as Tamarack was so well known for her pan fish (particularly the 'Bull Gills'). 

Being located in farm country the lake received plenty of nutrients from the surrounding field run off and the weed growth took it's toll.
The only open water was pretty much at both dams with a canal connecting through the thick weed mat.  Several attempts were made at clearing and controlling (short of chemical annihilation) the weeds, to no avail.  Suddenly........... structural damage to one of the dams warranted immediate repairs and...........  the rest is history.

Many...... many memories were made at Tamarack and hopefully many more anglers to come, will begin their journeys on her water. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/02/26 23:56:27 (permalink)
Nice lake just never had much fishing time on it. Hope it comes around again.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/02/27 00:53:22 (permalink)
Great pictures Capt..    She was a fun lake, in her infancy, where you could rent one of those old leaky wooden row boats (prior to electric motors) and just spend the day tossing garden worms under bobbers or the good ole cork poppers with a fly rod.  Never overcrowded be you fishing from a boat or wading from shore.  Little by little the weeds became a major problem and rowing became near impossible (push poles worked better) except by each of the dams at either end.  Eventually, the lake was drained and repairs made to the damaged dam.  It was after this the lake was ordained a musky broad lake and needless to say gained some fame among musky fisherman.  Your pictures show the aftermath of the first repair and I must say the restoration done at this time was very impressive.  Prior to the weed growth Tamarack had some real secrets swimming in her water that included gills, crappy, bass and, walleye too.  After the restoration,  musky became the main attraction in both summer and winter fishing.  The better half and I would fish Tamarack from a Coleman square stern scanoe and catch young musky we called "hammer handles" while throwing "pig-and-a-jigs" looking for bass.   My best was a 44" musky taken on a Big-O while trolling and a buddy of mine nailed a 49" a few days later.

It's been quite awhile since I tossed some baits on Tamarack..................  Thanks for the memories.

muskefisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/03/22 13:46:43 (permalink)
Ive fished this lake since i was young, right after it opened. If they refill it they should dreg some of the lake . Water temps in mid to upper 80's in summer not good.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/08/31 22:59:40 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Nice lake just never had much fishing time on it. Hope it comes around again.
Picture by Capt. Hook

Then and now.....................

Picture by BTDT
Picture by Capt. Hook

Picture by BTDT

Picture by BTDT

Drained in 2012, scheduled to refill 2018, and as of this date no work has begun on repairing the dam.  Ain't bureaucratic red tape wonderful?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/08/31 23:05:28

Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/09/01 09:07:29 (permalink)
Great pics and info  BTDT & Cap. 
I fished Tamarack Lake when it first opened.  It was nothing to catch "Bull Gills" on small flies.  I can remember when I would wade and come out of the water and find 10 to 20 small brown leeches on my waders.  Over the years as the number of leeches got smaller the fish got smaller as well.

I only hope that when they refill the lake that it will be a "Pan Fish" lake rather than a "Brood" lake for Muskey.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1661
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/09/01 10:12:17 (permalink)
I live 3 miles from the lake and  generally look at life with a glass half full outlook but in the case of Tamarack I don't think they will refill it at any time in the next 20yrs. The lake/dam even in its current condition will still perform the task it was designed for (flood control), maybe even better now that the lake bed is held together by vegetation roots. 
I wish they'd  allow access to the lake bed for hunting season.  At least they have the resources to mow the grass in the parking lots for the sightseers 
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2015/09/01 16:35:57 (permalink)
http://friendsoftamaracklake.com/PDFs/TamarackLake_ProjectTimeline.pdf the time line for the lake. http://friendsoftamaracklake.com/news.html the updates on where the current status stands. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/04/27 09:52:24 (permalink)
Work scheduled to begin this summer has been changed to start this fall.  Paperwork and permits()  are holding the project as the work will involve each of two dams located in separate municipalities.

The latest info I've found to date:  http://wowway.net/news/re...k_lake_aims_for_fa-tca

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/04/27 10:32:35 (permalink)
I'm afraid that by the time we can fish it again ( if ever) .... I'll be so old , I will not know what to do with a fishing pole .....I had a stroke back in Sept 2011 and my wife says I already lost a bunch of brain cells 😝 .... Oh by the way I had the stroke while on a fishing trip in Canada , 18 miles by boat back in the bush ... Thank God for my 2 buddies getting me out and to the hospital or I might not be typing this now ....

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/08/25 23:51:07 (permalink)
Anybody know if work has started on the Dams yet?

olds-Pa
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/08/26 07:05:30 (permalink)
Thanks for the update old dog. I miss fishing that lake. Loved fishing it through the ice for walleyes. Like mopars, I will too old by the time it's fishable again.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/08/26 11:14:17 (permalink)
 When quizzed regarding Tamarack completion; "I'm going to have to get back to you"~ Paul Urbanik, chief engineer for the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. 

The greatest response to ever be given, by one who is running around, on their elbows.

Did it take this long the first time the lake was drained, due to emergency repairs on the same dam, that needs repaired again?

Stupid red tape............

Thanks for the update OD.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/08/27 14:49:56 (permalink)
Not to jump lakes but anybody fishing Woodcock Lake up that way ?
Do they still stock Tiger Musky there, or have they stopped that program also ?
Only fished it twice years back and struck out both times. 
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/08/27 14:59:52 (permalink)
This is the first year we haven't made it up to woodcock. The pic in my profile is from a few years back. There's always alot of small fish but the big ones are there. They just take a little more work and bigger lures.
olds-Pa
Novice Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/09/01 08:01:13 (permalink)
The last time I was at Woodcock this year was towards the last of May. All we were catching was short walleyes and the occasional musky, mostly short ones also. None were tigers. One lunge in the over 40"class was kind enough to spit the Repala at the boat and not swim away with it.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 08:24:11 (permalink)
An update that appeared in today's Meadville Tribune. 

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/local_news/tamarack-lake-s-restoration-delayed-again-now-with-no-timeline/article_b739729e-bb50-11e6-a26b-af893c32fb13.html

You just gotta laugh at the stupidity of our governments

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 09:42:47 (permalink)
Mike it's a real shame. I gotta wonder how the project would be moving along if Mr. Wolf or another PBFC official owned property boardering Tamarack?

Possibly the anglers and property owners of Tamarack could have the lake designated a "trophy bass lake" and receive support from B.A.S.S. then maybe Mr. Arway can split his time between his pet S.O.S. project and the S.O.T. project.

"IF" the plans "ever" do get approved..... the initial money set aside for the construction, will become the next issue to stall the project.

Thanks for taking time to post the story.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/12/06 09:44:15

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 11:41:21 (permalink)
It will be a long time before Tamarack and Kahle get fixed. This part of the state gets ignored
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 17:08:26 (permalink)
Any lake drained and lost is sad day, not only for locals but for all fishermen and outdoor people . It's nice to have a variety or selection of lakes to fish or visit in our areas.
Can't imagine young kids missing out on the enjoyment of growing up and fishing with friends at the nearby lake.

What's a lake worth in lifetime memories .....priceless !!!!!
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 17:42:29 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Any lake drained and lost is sad day, not only for locals but for all fishermen and outdoor people . It's nice to have a variety or selection of lakes to fish or visit in our areas.Can't imagine young kids missing out on the enjoyment of growing up and fishing with friends at the nearby lake. What's a lake worth in lifetime memories .....priceless !!!!!
very true CAPTAIN , My son just turned 40 and we have a lot of great memories on Tamarck and Kahale lakes ...sure miss them the way they were.

STEVE.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2016/12/06 19:15:16 (permalink)
Maybe I'm old or just nostalgic but growing up fishing our local swamp pond brings back good past memories. Walking a mile or so after school to fish with friends to catch a few blue gills and small bass was a favorite past time of ours. Sitting on the bank with a can of crawlers we picked the night before, dreaming about catching a huge Catfish or Bass. 
We never caught that dream fish back then but it was still fun just talking about it.

Most of those old friends are gone , some dead , some moved on, but growing up with that old swamp nearby was sure a lot of fun ! Every young fishermen should have such an experience as we did. Having a lake , creek ,or pond nearby makes that all possible . 

Our favorite "old fishin hole " Wheatland Swamp.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/12/06 19:30:49
SaltWaterRocks
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/02/23 15:56:29 (permalink)
Just the facts.  Don't know what this "really" means but this was just sent to me by Michelle Brooks' office.

Brooks and Roae Announce Project at Tamarack Lake to Proceed
HARRISBURG—Senator Michele Brooks and Representative Brad Roae are pleased to announce that the Tamarack Lake Project is back on track and will commence later this fall. 
“It has been a long road, but multiple state departments, as well as a federal agency, have come together to move this project forward,” said Sen. Brooks.  “The West Mead Township Supervisors, Township Secretary Jill Dunlap and Friends of Tamarack Lake were a tremendous help and I would like to thank them for their vigilance.” 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/02/23 21:18:19 (permalink)
That is really cool thanks for taking the time to post the info.

I do wonder how much more this project will cost over the original budget because "too many cooks were in the kitchen".

Thanks again, very exciting news.

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/02/24 06:59:05 (permalink)
There is a write up in today's Meadville tribune. I can't t add the link from the device I'm on so you'll have to look for it

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/02/24 08:30:39 (permalink)
WEST MEAD TOWNSHIP — The Tamarack Lake project is back on track and construction will begin this fall.

State Sen. Michele Brooks reported Thursday afternoon that multiple state departments and one federal agency worked together to move the project forward.

"During the planning process for the Tamarack Lake project the federal government got involved," Brooks said, referring to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).

"We were able to negotiate with them to get this project back on track," Brooks said. "The NRCS is signing off and we've been assured construction will begin this fall."

The Pennsylvania Departments of General Services, Environmental Protection and the Fish and Boat Commission are working together to move the project along as quickly as possible, Brooks said.

"The West Mead Township supervisors, Township Secretary Jill Dunlap and Friends of Tamarack Lake group were a tremendous help," Brooks said. "I would like to thank them for their vigilance."

Melissa Fuller is a member of the Friends of Tamarack Lake group. "I'm so excited and happy," Fuller said. "We're back on track and going to get the lake back."

Fuller said she hadn't heard any estimation of when the lake might be expected to be restored. "We always heard construction should take two years, so that would be what I would hope for," she said.

Tamarack Lake, a 562-acre reservoir located approximately 3 miles southeast of Meadville, was formed by the construction of two dams in 1963 by the Soil Conservation Service to control flooding along Mill Run and Mud Run. 

An emergency drawdown and fish-salvage operation took place at the lake in August 2012 when consulting engineers discovered erosion areas around pipe at the lake’s northern end and voids in both the north and south dams. The lake, which is formed by two earthen embankment dams, had been lowered by about 4 feet in November 2011 when leakage was first detected.

Paul Urbanik, chief engineer for the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, has been managing the rehabilitation project for the past three years. In 2014, Urbanik said, “We’re hoping to have it filled by 2018.”

In March 2016, he said, “It looks like we could start construction by fall 2016 instead of the summer.” With a two-year construction process, the 2018 goal might still have been met.
The most recent update to the timeline was released in June 2016. It delayed the start time for construction on the project until April 2017 and extended the estimated time for completion to 2 1/2 years. According to that timeline, the lake is not slated to be refilled until the summer of 2020.

Another delay announced in December included Urbanik reporting there is currently no timeline for when Tamarack will be refilled.

Attempts to reach officials for an estimated refill date for the lake were not successful.
olds-Pa
Novice Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/02/24 09:10:06 (permalink)
This is wonderful news. I may be to old and decrepit to fish it again, but it is nice to know others will get the chance to experience the lake (swamp) again. I caught many nice walleyes out of Tamarack over the years and actually got tired of muskies. Hopefully they don't put those back in there in such a quantity as last time (my opinion). Of course I will take whatever we get. It was the first lake my son ever fished in, 40 some years ago. Many good memories abound there...olds
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Tamarack Lake............ 2017/09/04 16:58:00 (permalink)
Tamarack Lake Update
Posted on August 8, 2017

Updates on the Tamarack Lake Dam Reconstruction Project will be available here whenever there is news to report from the PA Fish and Boat Commission.

https://westmead.org/tamarack-lake-update/

Update as of August 8, 2017 on Tamarack Lake is that the PA Fish and Boat Commission received the permits for construction from the DEP Division of Dam Safety on June 2nd, 2017. The project is now moving through the DGS pre-construction process to clear, accept proposals and award the project for construction. The Request for Proposal documents have been advertised and listed on PA eMarketplace and a pre-proposal conference was held on July 6, 2017 with an August 15, 2017 deadline for receiving proposals. Estimated time line includes start of construction to begin in October 2017 with a completion date expected to be in 2019.

The following update was provided on February 23, 2017.

Brooks and Roae Announce Project at Tamarack Lake to Proceed

HARRISBURG—Senator Michele Brooks and Representative Brad Roae are pleased to announce that the Tamarack Lake Project is back on track and will commence later this fall.

“It has been a long road, but multiple state departments, as well as a federal agency, have come together to move this project forward,” said Sen. Brooks. “The West Mead Township Supervisors, Township Secretary Jill Dunlap and Friends of Tamarack Lake were a tremendous help and I would like to thank them for their vigilance.”
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/09/04 17:01:27

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to: