Rut reports

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/04 21:30:07 (permalink)
Got in B4 6:00 and settled in today.
7:00 ish 2 doe strolling by.
lookout 80-100 yards see a doe running tail up????
Big doe near me goes ears up and starts to run towards her.
OH MY the 8 pt. is chasing the little doe and she doesn't like it.
They all disappear into a thicket. 15 minutes go by and out comesthe 2 doe. then the 8 chasing the little doe again.
Then they all disappear.

Climbed down---had to go to work-- walked to my scrape and HOLY SHIP----someone not to happy and makes a bigger scrape along side mine.
swapped out the SD card.
He even stopped for a photo op.....3:30 AM

Thought they were twin tens, appears this one could only be a nine
NOTE: his scrape is on the left

Sat the last 2 hours before dark saw 4 doe stroll by with NO follower

006.JPG

OH WELL MAYBE NEXT MONDAY/TUESDAY

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/04 21:44:52 (permalink)
Too windy and warm today kinda slow but saw antlers.
Button buck watched me climb into stand today then bedded 40 yds away getting up once in a while to hit the plot he was behind my stand last week but 2nd day in a row he was in same spot on edge of field.
Saw a small 6 pt cruise thru 720, 830 a doe came running from across the street but no buck behind her,and another doe in brush eating apples this afternoon.
Going out again in morning.
Checked cam on way out of stand this morning guese who showed up Sunday afternoon same one I had nighttime pics of and saw Saterday afternoon so heres a daytime pic of the buck that's been avoiding me hope he makes a mistake soon.

BTDT-I am hunting an entrance /exit to their core area that has a staging area with apple trees and brush,then plot ,then they cross road to ag fields between 2 houses its been good to me in past but its not perfect have to be patient.

I am not big on moons or certain dates I see best action on cold damp days .

Wags if hes only a nine you can send him over my way NICE BUCK good luck...WCW
post edited by workcanwait.... - 2014/11/04 21:49:28
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/04 22:14:38 (permalink)
WCW .....Eman....and Wags.............  Popcorn is in the microwave.......... I'm ready for the pictures..................   Good Luck.  Raining here as it will be in most of the area.  Going south of the house in the morning; hope to look em straight in the eye.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/04 22:17:14

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/04 23:30:37 (permalink)
Seen over twenty bucks chasing tonight. Some very nice bucks at that. Bedtime! Good weather tomorrow lets give em.a dirtnap
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/05 08:02:15 (permalink)
Bucks are moving decent 8 just ran pass video equipment wasn't ready yet
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/05 19:26:17 (permalink)
This morning was good had 3 bucks chasing does for hour plus spike 3 pt and a bigger one that I just saw flashes of.No shot but I really enjoy watching and listening to the chase here thru the brush and splashing around in the  swamp mud.They were  not locked on 1 doe they just pestered every doe they could find the does ran they turned to find another.

Same group this afternoon but the bucks were not present just 9 does and peewees.
Just seeing same deer morning and evening in and out no outside bucks roaming or chasing.

Hope you folks had better luck!

Sleepping in and doing work tomorrow back at it Friday...WCW
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/05 21:30:31 (permalink)
Spotted local fields on my way home. Two fields empty.
One field had 9 doe grazing with no boyz in sight
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/05 22:43:31 (permalink)
The bucks.are ready does aren't..
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/05 22:45:06 (permalink)
The bucks.are ready does aren't..
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 11:59:32 (permalink)
deer for the most part, around here, are still NOCTURNAL ... 

5-6 does and now 3 different 6 pointers all showing up 9pm until 5:30am ....

I  saw a 6 point last Thursday at 7:30am and a SMALL doe yesterday morning (passed on her) that is it in daylight hours since mid-October ....  ????

I am getting a large Gray Fox on camera for the past 4 nights at 9 - 10 pm .....

rained out so far for today...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/11/06 12:01:24
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 13:33:42 (permalink)
Bucks just started runnin bone , down my way, today. Saw 2 different bucks in the city limits, runnin doe......WF...get in the stands and stay there. Next 3 days will be crazy....Too bad I quit bowhunting
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 18:16:16 (permalink)
Slow for me today.bucks are ready does still iffy. Two buck six doe today bucks were at 1230 and 3
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 20:29:27 (permalink)
Deer were everywhere on my drive home from work. Saw a 140 class 8 pt last night on my way home so I had my video camera today. Well, just doe in that field but less than a mile from home, got to witness two at least 3.5 yr olds go at it very hard. Luckily, got it on tape too. Both were, or would have been shooters. One was a half rack with a spike and brow on his left side and at least four, maybe five up on his right side. The left was busted, and I could see why. The other was a massy, 19 or 20 in. Wide 8 or 10 point with good tine length. He was good enough to go on my wall. The half rack won the battle. It looked like a tv fight from Iowa on the hunting shows... I was 200 yes away and could here the antlers crashing inside my car. I'll try and mess with the video to get it online.
Good luck guys. Getting down to the wire.

Oh, another positive, there's a good chance I can get permission to hunt this property next year.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 21:26:26 (permalink)
No work again until Wednesday for me! 

Looks like the wind machine will be turning on tonight so my mini vacation may not get off to the best start.  But it is November, which means just about anything can happen regardless of how crappy the weather will be. 
post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2014/11/06 22:09:06
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 22:28:00 (permalink)
Back to pretty slow up.north.. kinda wish I was home!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/06 22:55:31 (permalink)
  Hi kids.......  did ya miss me? 

Sorry.....  I been pouting and sulking allllll day cause, I'm mad!  Wanna know why I'm mad?.............  well I'm gonna tel ya anyway... so sit down and be quiet!

Dateline:  Yesterday morning, AM.

Went tippy toeing through the trees, just south of my stomping grounds, walking just over a mile and a half in three and a half hours.  Hey Jack, I'm 'still' hunting and that takes time!!!  Anyway I'm working my way thru  the river bottom, keeping real close to the red brush, green-brier and , crab-apples while watching into the open timber.  Place is polluted with tracks of all sizes and I'm thinking this has got to be the place to be.  Well, it was, apparently when I wasn't there cause that's all I saw........ tracks.  Moved further southeast and became fascinated with the size, type and, openness of the trees.  White-oaks everywhere, man, I am in deer and turkey candy-land and I knew I was cause I took two more steps and 'down the road they go', six whitetails.  Hoping they might circle back around I took a stand and waited, and waited, and got bored and left.  By this time the wind had picked up quite a bit and those leaves on the ground became crunchy in a hurry so I decided to reverse my hat back to orange and 'down the road I go'.  Back tracked til I got to the thickets and briers where I stayed out in the open and watched along the heavy brush line when suddenly, as I moved along, my right foot sank into the leaves and I knew, I stepped into a really marshy area cause I could feel the water running into my ankle highs.  Bad enough getting a soaked foot but, now every right step sounds like I'm plunging a plugged sink.  I returned home for some dry socks, boots and, my baloney and cheese sandwiches.

Okay it's now 4:00 PM and I change tactics; instead of going to my ladder stand I head to the opposite side of the field where, I positioned my self beside a cluster of cherry trees.  From here I can see deer coming out of the woods to the south and I can see anything coming from the pasture to the north.  Wasn't long, I could see a deer heading straight out of the woods and it was north bound right at me.  A single deer, head is up, wind to it's back and, high stepping...... nuts it's likely a doe that's been harassed and looking for a place to hide.   Still 100 yds.  out and still coming I'm thinking I see antler but, I'm still looking thru branches so, not sure.  Beginning to think I should take this deer if it is a doe as I've passed on four already when, a turn of it's head shows me what I thought was the antlers of the wye-buck I saw Monday at this time.  Approaching at a steady pace but still about forty yards before he breaks into a shooting lane and I thought this will be cool as, I'll be looking him right in the eye when he goes by.  Go by he did, just as proud as he could be, 20 yds. out but, no wye-buck, this guy has brow tines making him a ssssssssssseven point,() dang three-up on his left antler and I just saw the third point when he went by.  No trophy antler wise but, he was a shooter and still a trophy otherwise.   I'm bettin' we'll meet again. 

Dateline: Today, all day

Rain, rain and, more rain but don't get me wrong I'm no "fair weather' hunter by any means.  I did hunt from my other stand today and really didn't care that I saw nothing cause, I didn't have to go but 15 ft. for a cup of coffee or a baloney and cheese sandwich.

Full moon tonight; rain and more rain, maybe a bit of snow too, deer will will be out early to freshen their scrapes.  Ask me why I love huntin'.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/07 06:34:55 (permalink)
GOOD MORNING WHITETAILERS......

Light rain and snow mix as I speak.... wind is out of the north at 14 mph gusting to 24 making the O.A.T. of 38 degrees feel like 25.

Sun creeping up (sun?) beginning to show the tree tops Would somebody tell me, again, what it is about hunting that makes a man want to go out, in weather like this while it's still dark and, attach himself to a tree to watch the sunrise?

Good luck guys..... post those pictures. BTDT.

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/07 07:39:02 (permalink)
Three legal buck and three doe all chasing.. snowing and windy. ,2f. Gonna be great day
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/07 20:39:33 (permalink)
Welllllll............  Ummmmmm............... ahhhhhhhhh...........  Hellooooooooo..............

Where the he!! did everybody go?  To cold, wet and windy today or what?

Hello??????

Nothing happening at my house; try again in the morning, maybe more hunters looking for deer, turkey, bunny wabbits, and/or ditch chickens might get the deer moving.  Milder weather for tomorrow in my sector so I'll be strapped to a tree in the AM.

Good luck..........  talk later. 

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/07 21:22:18 (permalink)
Three deer in evening. Big bucks still nocturnal.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/07 21:53:18 (permalink)
Yeah here's my report...
Yesterday slept in got 11 hours of sleep that equaled what I had 3 nites before combined needed it,I wake up ground is dry was suppose to rain from the forecast I read nite before.
It did rain lightly mid day but I went out last 2 hours had a buck around me did not see it but saw does and peewees-found out by camera check it was the small 6.
This morning I saw a set of does and peewees feeding then they left the scene all of a sudden knew a buck was around 10 minutes later a different 6 pt strolled by 5 yds 15 yds 25 yds hit all the shooting lanes I like to use.Then he circled and pushed a doe with FOUR peewees by me.Its windy and snowing and I am in the covered tripod due to conditions for the 1st time since last sighting of big 8 Saterday afternoon.
8:57 I am cold telling myself to hang out but I had things to do for work,I grab my quiver and start to put it on my bow and I see HIM 75 yds away coming my way but he turns into brush!I listened to him push thru the thick stuff and head to beading area skirting my stand out of sight 60 yds away.10 minutes later the six follows him in and does a lil grunting the 8 turns back grunts and chases him away and on his way back to bedding area he poses in a shooting lane 50yds away again I have this guy in my scope but just to far! He strolled back and laid down I think I headed in 45 minutes later cold and disturbed.
I checked my camera and it confirmed that once again he strolled thru my shooting lanes of OTHER stand 20-30 yd shots!
Here's a even better daytime pic of him...

I sat in OTHER stand last 4 hours got pelleted with snow and wind but saw does peewees and at last 10 mintes the smaller 6 pt strolled by 20-30yds away.

Still no real chasing of hot does just the boys roaming around looking for luv...

Going out in morning will be in the OTHER stand of course.
It's madness and I love it!!!!
Good luck be safe!
WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/08 15:38:38 (permalink)
-. --- - / ... . . .. -. --. / .- -. -.-- - .... .. -. --. / -.-- . -

Hey Jack!!!!!!. I'm hunting and need to be quiet so, I'm sending morse code.

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/08 21:50:58 (permalink)
Insane day here...grab your popcorn its a long read.
Over slept woke up at daybreak-showered in stand at 7:45.
Immediately I had bucks either side of me.
9:10-ten minutes late-out he comes from swamp-makes scrape and stroll into my 20 yd lane.
I stopped him and took shot he stepped as I shot-I did not see the hit.
Backed out came back an hour later found bolt covered in dark blood.
Backed out again -waited til 12:45 saw on radar possible rain band coming so I decided to try to track him(hindsight this was foolish I know)it ended up drizzling and not washing the blood trail away.
Blood trail started with 4 pools of blood next to each other he probably stood there a while just inside brush then I followed steady large drops of blood every 2-5 ft  on exit side only for 150 yds and lost it.
Meanwhile a big 6 pt and a nice 10 pt came right at me 10 pt was 15 feet away from me I had to wave arms to get him to turn away.
Heard a few other deer scatter this is THICK swamp edge their was grunting and splashing all around me.
I heard a light footed deer leave the scene last and head back to food plot about an hour before I gave up looking for blood.
 By 3:15 I was disgusted and thirsty so I walked out the easy way back to my pack to drink some powerade and think of next move.
On my way I came to the edge of food plot I looked up and their he was bedded in the middle of plot the most open area on property,he saw me at same time got up and HOBBLED away I could only see him a short ways I tried to circle around on trail but did not see him again got to point I last saw him and no blood went to bed no blood.
I heard birds sound off in the direction he headed which is one of his bedding areas 150 yds from his bed in plot.
I did not pursue him anymore.
I talked to neighbor who owns this area and he said I can go in tomorrow looking for him.
I then called PGC let them know they took my info  and reminded me I could not have a weapon (I knew that) it was simple to do and necessary the way I understand things.
So liver shot  bumped twice last time 6 hours after shot deer is probably dead hope I find him tomorrow.
I still love this sport but it can be hard on the nerves when things go bad.
Sorry for the long post but I hope someone learns from my mistakes and it helps to vent...WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 08:44:35 (permalink)
WCW we'll keeep the fingers crossed........  Just a reminder (FYI for the newby)..... mark the last spot, you saw the animal using, fluorescent tape or garment, hat etc.,......  using this as the starting point......  if there is a blood trail; mark the last spot found........  from either point begin making circles, returning to the last marker then making  bigger circles checking the ground, weed stalks, leaves on trees and bushes for signs.  Blood spatters, bedding area, broken branches, foot prints that show signs of dragging feet/legs and even tracks that show the animal is staggering.  Mark any new evidence and start your circles again, returning, to the new spot.  LOOK on both sides of logs, around/in brush piles and downed tree tops as well as high grass  but, just don't look for the animal, LOOK for evidence of the animal having been there there.

Glad to hear you read your arrow/bolt; I shudder to think of all the self proclaimed archers that do not know how, to do this.

Speaking once again to the self proclaimed archer; Even if you witness the animal going to the ground or hear the animal thrashing in the near distance STAY IN YOUR STAND, thirty minutes minimum,  giving the animal time to die.  Retrieve your arrow/bolt and read what it has to tell you (if you don't know how, LEARN), mark the last spot you saw the animal and wait another thirty minutes or more. Remember to search in circles returning each time to the starting point.

YOU FIRED THE SHOT; you owe it to the animal to find it!!!!!!

Good luck WCW, I feel your pain cause................  BTDT.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 09:29:28 (permalink)
Dateline: Yesterday; all day, evening too.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 09:32:15 (permalink)
That's because NOTHING happened all day.  Not one deer did I see;  back at it Monday.... 10-4?......

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/09 09:33:28

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 14:39:53 (permalink)
Can't wait til end.of week
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 16:45:09 (permalink)
I was SO anticipating what the cam would have on it for the past 5 days,,,,,

WHAT A  DISAPPOINTMENT  !!!!!

One buck last we
ds. Blurred picture looks like Mr.9 or 10.
And what looks like and small 8..
They better be mobile in the morning

060.JPG

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 17:58:16 (permalink)
GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be continued in "Thinking about antlers more than steel..." in about an hour or so.
It's a story and a half I could write a book about this hunt-half way there already.

WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 18:33:16 (permalink)
Congrats WCW   I'm really eager to hear your story; in the mean time, here's to ya.  

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to: