Rut reports

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 18:33:32 (permalink)
Good job, nice when it comes together. The yotes have enough to eat.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 20:17:50 (permalink)
Guys it's a challenging endeavor to take a deer with archery equipment do not take it lightly  but by all means do it and enjoy it.
Just do everything you can to make a good shot or none.
This hunt taught me ALOT and I had learned me a thing or 2 b4 I thought!
Its been a long ride this season for me but it's proof some stories do have a happy ending!!!

WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 20:26:22 (permalink)
Not seeing much in the rut activity lately; pictures I'm getting show all 'antlerless' deer roaming around at night and none of those are showing the dark stained tarsals associated with estrus.  The bucks I've seen during the day certainly do not display the obvious signs of swollen necks or stained tarsals.  No new scrapes  and the older ones aren't being worked.  I have noticed a few new rubs in the area and I gotta say they were exciting to find as, they were made on 2'' to 3'' trees.   Maybe.....  just maybe, the younger bucks were just practicing and the older boys are just coming to town.  Time will tell; cancelled all appointments and put all calls on voice mail, I'll be strapped to a tree til tomorrow evening.  Baloney sandwiches are packed (no pickles) and just waiting on the alarm clock to tell me the time has come for another great day in the PA. Wilds.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/09 20:49:44

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/09 21:26:51 (permalink)
My advice is grab your bow and find the thickest nastiest stuff around and act like your tracking a deer slowly quietly.
The 10 pt I saw was a brute he could not see me so he had to come and see what I was TWICE.
I am kinda joking but think it could work he came to 15 ft away wide open shot!I just chased him away...

I never saw a buck chasing/trailing a hot doe this season IMO just a lot of cruising and bumping.
I did surround my stand with FRESH/REFRIGRATED doe in heat scent  refreshed it every couple of days HINT HINT!

I wish everyone good luck still plenty of time share some pics and stories please!!!...WCW-or work has waited long enough now I slave away.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 05:47:57 (permalink)
Saw two bucks while pheasant hunting on Saturday. One was a decent six and the other a ten that was about 18 wide and fairly heavy. Both were in pheasant cover. The six had a doe with him, but just as a buddy, nothing romantic.

Have seen several does (on some days and nothing on others ) at the new place, but no bucks in over a week plus.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 09:19:12 (permalink)
Hell yeah buddy!!!
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 12:25:49 (permalink)
Congrats WCW!

Been pretty slow in my area the past week or so.  Up until that point I was seeing a number of deer from my stand including a spike, 2 different 4pts, a 6pt, and a smaller 8.  Tried a buddys house last Friday afternoon where he's been seeing an 8 and a 10 in his back yard, but nothing came past the stand.  Got switched to first shift so I'll get lots of time to hunt in the afternoon this week.  Hoping it picks up.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 13:33:41 (permalink)
Wed thur fri sat... watch out because im off :)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 19:06:20 (permalink)
On the ladder stand til noon then the cravings for a baloney sandwich became overbearing; headed to the house and enjoyed TWO sandwiches, no cheese and still out of pickles.  Gonna tell the wife one of these days that I'm darned tired of having no pickles and, ask her if I can go get some.  Anyway, took a power nap after lunch then it was back to the stand and I am darn glad I did cause it was worth the wait. prettiest sun set I've seen in a long time; I must say.

Temperature was great, with a constant wind all day (8 mph gusting to 12) out of the SSW.  Just a great day to be strapped to a tree; enjoying the great PA. Wilds.

OH!...........  saw nothing, except another archer who said he...........  saw nothing.  Back at 'er in the morning.......chow.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DRod
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 21:03:44 (permalink)
Hunted a field edge this evening with my 11 year old son on the Mentored Tag.  One half rack with 2 up walking through the middle of the field from who knows where.  Other than that, nuttin.

Just got back from spotting with him.  Farm about 10 miles away where seeing 60+ deer is pretty common at night.  About 30-35 out tonight - all does and skippers and one 4 point that could have hidden his rack if he put his ears up.  Most just laying down in the field.  

Couple other fields along the way with multiple does and young uns, including one with 11.  The 11 were ALL laying down, and most others we saw were too.  

He's off school tomorrow, so we're gonna get after 'em in the AM for a bit.  

BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 21:06:43 (permalink)
BTDT
This SHIP is more contagious than EBOLA
I am out of pickles too!!!  I had left over Pizza tho. Got smart made extra Sunday.

I am a vollie in my spare time---LOL
Got a call 2am for gas leak in a structure.
Took off to the station hit a straight away and turned the girls loose-----I got twins--turbos that is..
up ahead something in my lane......3/4 Mile not moving....1/2 mile same
1/4 mile same...Ok "get the hell out of my way"
100 yards---50--25---WTF
up to 10 feet.......this dam 6pt looked like a decoy and would not move.....
Moved into oncoming lane and creeped past.
As i did there out my window stands 3 doe......................GO FIGURE>

Climb my tree 5:30 am
slept till 6:30...AMAZING
I got movement to my left. I see a tail down.
Moves up to my 2:00 postion.....TAA DAA----ME SEE RACK----WOO HOO
okay looks like maybe a 6.....dam
Picks his head up........NOPE MEGA SPREAD.....8 or 10 pt....NEVER seen this one before.
HOLY CRAP...those look to be 24" wide........WOO HOO  YAH BABY
He walks broadside down the path I want him on.......BAM BAM BAM goes my chest..
HE breaks north----WTF
I got him behind a tree at 35 yards only****showing.
couple soft bleats...he does nothing.
He walks out thru brush and gives me a clean 45 yard broadside shot.
Okay.. I 'll give him a grunt or two see if he will come explore...............NOT
slowly heads north.
TURNS around at 75 yards.......rocks his head side to side and says  "AMF"........

Waited 2 hours climbed down went to check my scrape, which I reopened last night.
He was there overnight and reopened his....
forgot my SD card so no pictures till tomorrow........

Sat last 2 hours saw 2 doe RUNNING past.... no followers....

back up there 5;30 tomorrow..last chance for me......

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 21:28:05 (permalink)
Hunted with my buddy this afternoon used one of his stands. Saw a small 4 pt chasing 2 doe almost dark again. Going to try it again tomorrow , things have been kinda slow for me but hey not over yet and it has been fun.

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/10 23:25:22 (permalink)
BIG WAGS
BTDT
This SHIP is more contagious than EBOLA
I am out of pickles too!!!  I had left over Pizza tho. Got smart made extra Sunday.

I am a vollie in my spare time---LOL
Got a call 2am for gas leak in a structure.
Took off to the station hit a straight away and turned the girls loose-----I got twins--turbos that is..
up ahead something in my lane......3/4 Mile not moving....1/2 mile same
1/4 mile same...Ok "get the hell out of my way"
100 yards---50--25---WTF
up to 10 feet.......this dam 6pt looked like a decoy and would not move.....
Moved into oncoming lane and creeped past.
As i did there out my window stands 3 doe......................GO FIGURE>

Climb my tree 5:30 am
slept till 6:30...AMAZING
I got movement to my left. I see a tail down.
Moves up to my 2:00 postion.....TAA DAA----ME SEE RACK----WOO HOO
okay looks like maybe a 6.....dam
Picks his head up........NOPE MEGA SPREAD.....8 or 10 pt....NEVER seen this one before.
HOLY CRAP...those look to be 24" wide........WOO HOO  YAH BABY
He walks broadside down the path I want him on.......BAM BAM BAM goes my chest..
HE breaks north----WTF
I got him behind a tree at 35 yards only****showing.
couple soft bleats...he does nothing.
He walks out thru brush and gives me a clean 45 yard broadside shot.
Okay.. I 'll give him a grunt or two see if he will come explore...............NOT
slowly heads north.
TURNS around at 75 yards.......rocks his head side to side and says  "AMF"........

Waited 2 hours climbed down went to check my scrape, which I reopened last night.
He was there overnight and reopened his....
forgot my SD card so no pictures till tomorrow........

Sat last 2 hours saw 2 doe RUNNING past.... no followers....

back up there 5;30 tomorrow..last chance for me......

Been in the throat of the dragon a few times myself as a FF also; fire service instructor state and, national level. 

Thanks for serving your community.  BTDT

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/11 14:02:15 (permalink)
Wcw where's the pics
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/11 17:19:47 (permalink)
In the other post "Thinking about antlers more than steel ..."

WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/11 20:25:52 (permalink)
WHAT a terrific day; 60+ degrees and warm winds outta the south.  Took the wife's suggestion(s) today and cleaned the outside of the windows and built the gate for the deck steps.  

So darn warm to wear regular hunting clothes today so I hit the stand around 3:45 PM wearing a camouflaged long sleeve pullover and pair of shorts ( hey,  their RealTree too).  Nothing to report while sitting in the stand but, the camera is still showing doe and two buck hanging around.  Nice shooter by the stand at 6:15 AM this morning; I'd probably tripped over him on my way to the stand, being it was still dark, had my wife not suggested I do something besides hunt today.  Don't think it was that seven point I fouled up on the other night so there is still hope of killing (sorry) 'harvesting' a buck during archery.  I'll be in the stand before sun rise in the morning hoping the deer will be moving to escape the incoming 'ARCTIC BLAST'.  

Speaking of the change in weather; I was watching the leading edge of clouds still a distance to the west and, was wondering if they may be part of the same system bringing the colder weather.  To my surprise those clouds where traveling 'full steam ahead' and arrived over my location much before I imagined.  It was almost like the clouds you see in a sci-fi flick where the clouds roll in just before you see the mother-ship.  Started to wish I would of wore a little more camouflage; in fear I might be abducted and held for a future anal probe!

Whew.........  I gotta back off the garlic baloney or maybe the mayo is out dated.........  I gotta go.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/11 20:52:51

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/11 22:03:46 (permalink)
BTDT-Or anyone else reading and interested- If you are hunting close to house start walking out about the same amount of time it takes to get to stand before legal shooting time.
I used to go out in dark but I just bumped deer often bucks.
This way you can see them and avoid spooking them.
Sooner or later they get comfortable enough to come thru later but not if you bump them in dark.
I stubbornly ignored this for years but changed last 3 years what a difference.
End of this week with nasty weather should stir up some action hang in there they have been resting up in this warmth...WCW
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 07:00:23 (permalink)
Saw two does while training the Pointers yesterday. They got up out of a patch of goldenrod that is about the size of our kitchen.

Talked to the neighbor teenager yesterday. With extra doe tags and basically unlimited CWD tags, he has taken a doe everyday he has been off. That would be, I believe, five Saturdays plus Columbus Day and Veteran's Day. He said he still has tags left.

While one never knows how many deer are actually around, in this small area, we can pretty easily identify about 15 antlerless. That would mean he pretty much single handedly has killed about half the herd. And gun season has not even started yet. Keep in mind that this is a CWD area, so it will be open season for two weeks.

I can't begrudge the young man. I like doe hunting as much as the next guy. He has the tags and he is getting good at the game. I guess my question is, "when is enough, enough."

I would never say anything to him - he is not my kid and he is within the law. And his father, whom is the "my boy big hunter, kill'm many deer, just like I teached him well" type surely will not put the brakes on him.

Thoughts?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 08:56:37 (permalink)
This kid is not to be called a hunter by any means as he would be considered, in my book, the poster child for PITA and /or SPCA.
The question "when is enough, enough" should not be posed to the boy as he surely understands not what he does but, to the PA. Game Commission.  This boy and the hundreds of 'killers' like him merely serve as the 'Hit Man' for the PA. Game Commission and their dream of 'genocide' to the PA. Whitetail.

Just some food for thought to those believing the fodder fed to you, by the PA. Game Commission, about AR.  Without doe there will be no reproduction and without reproduction there can be no bucks.  On the average a doe will produce a set of twins one of which is usually a buck.  For every doe killed this year there will be one less doe and buck for next year and, the next year and, soon there will be no more.

I see the results of the 'genocide' right in my back yard; at first there was many and now there remains a few.

Feel your pain Dardys; let's hope the changes made in the hierarchy of the PA. Game Commission won't be without quick changes with the ARs. 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/12 09:02:40

S-10
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 09:34:54 (permalink)

Don't blame the kid. The Game Commission was created in 1896 to prevent the type of overkill you speak of. The Game Commission of 2000 promotes it.  They establish the seasons, type of weapons to be used, and bag limits. They are the "ONLY" ones to blame if the deer herd is being over hunted. Hell, they even hired a guy and spent thousands of dollars sending him around the state telling anyone who would listen that killing large numbers of does was the right thing to do.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 09:35:42 (permalink)
Ya can blame your game commission for giving too many tags but who do you blame for using them all???
 Here in Ct ya can easily get over a dozen tags and almost unlimited replacements in some areas- how many Deer can ya eat ???
 I take one and occasionally two a year.( only if one has a rack) Its called RESPONSIBLE hunting while knowing there is going to be next year too -IMHO.
 Kinda think that we hunters  often hold a big share of the blame for herd reductions anywhere.
 Infar too many areas where hunting is permitted the herd gets nearly wiped out while the NO areas get overpopulated-clearly the present methodology of tags is incorrect in far too any States.
IMHO the true herd control methodology would be to identify the true needs and then to ensure that all properties are involved to realistically achieve goals and objectives as opposed to the present spot burning method- This means some kind of reaching out to ALL property owners through incentives of near mandates to allow hunting game owned by the states.
( WE are the states)
"Conservation" groups have  purchased many hunting or trapping rights just to deny hunters and trappers those areas- perhaps we should take a page from their books buy up  tags each year and have some tag burning parties.
I commonly purchase many here and never even try to use them.
 RANT OVER------
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/11/12 09:52:39
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 10:10:49 (permalink)
If the kid has killed 7 doe in 7 hunts, what does that say about the local deer population?  Also, I'd be suprised if these were all "doe" and I'm willing to bet that a number of his kills were fawns, and not adult does. 

Back on topic, things slowed down quite a bit for me over the last few days.  I'm not really seeing much chasing anymore and the does I'm seeing seem to be unusually calm for this time of year.  Still seeing the young bucks roaming around quite a bit, but they don't seem to be as fired up as they were last week.  Also found out that the neighbor to one my primary hunting properties killed the biggest buck we had seen on that property all year, a buck in the 130's for sure.  Oh well, cold snap is coming, so we should have good weather for the last couple of days of the season.  Good luck all! 
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 12:39:05 (permalink)
Opinions.. seen a big buck at 930 snuck in right behind me.at five yards. I couldn't stand up and when I could he was 30 yds out. He looked at me while I tried to stand but.didn't really care.. so I seen him and another deer and just got out of woods now. Do I hunt him in evening or give him a breakand back at him totomorrow?
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 12:52:09 (permalink)
Okay, seven antlerless deer. Some of which are probably buttons. Whatever.

What it says about the population, which since I live there and see these deer on an almost daily basis, is that if he did indeed kill 7 of the deer I have been seeing, then it has been cut in half. If there are twice as many deer as I have been seeing since spring, then the population has been cut by 25% before the 2 week gun CWD season starts.

By one person.

Again, I have no issue with him legally doing it. That is a bunch of gun for a teenager at only $6 a tag.

But what are the long term affects?

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 13:30:32 (permalink)
Obviously, you understand the circumstances better than anyone else here could and I didn't mean to imply that I am condoning the kid's actions if my post came off that way.  We have people in the SRA's I hunt, who regularly kill that many antlerless in a season.  Since most of the guys I know who do that shoot anything, most of what they kill are doe fawns and bb's and there doesn't seem to be too much of an impact from them doing so.  Without knowing the specific details of your situation it's hard to say what effects his actions will have.  If he shot 7 adult doe, there's no doubt you will see a substantial decline, but if he's like the guys I know and shot mainly fawns, I'd bet the decline won't be as noticable.        
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 18:23:52 (permalink)
Didn't see a deer all.evening
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 18:46:47 (permalink)
Been pretty slow for me as far as rut action. Have not seen a good chase yet. Quite a few little bucks cruising. I have passed up 5 legal bucks so far in the past 10 days. Saw a big 11 point that I have on trail camera but he would not come closer than 60 yards. 

After many years in a row of success in archery, it takes a year like this to remind myself how hard bowhunting actually is. 

My rifle is a black rifle
ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 19:39:13 (permalink)
I took a doe today. Quartering towards shot at 20 yards put the crossbow bolt topped with grimm reaper right behind her shoulder. Heavy blood for 300 yards till I found her dead and still hot. Looks like I'm good on meat for a while butchering this one to save a few bux.

Where I'm at in Allegheny county the deer herd gets slaughtered but bounces back every year. I know guys who take multiple does from my area and the heard gets shot up pretty bad during shotgun and the late extended season. Guys from other counties come here and shoot up the does and still no shortage I have seen. It's been easier to fill the freezer during archery come gun season them deer are running targets.
DRod
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 20:05:38 (permalink)
ChromeBandit412
Where I'm at in Allegheny county the deer herd gets slaughtered but bounces back every year. I know guys who take multiple does from my area and the heard gets shot up pretty bad during shotgun and the late extended season. Guys from other counties come here and shoot up the does and still no shortage I have seen. It's been easier to fill the freezer during archery come gun season them deer are running targets.

Not sure a lot of 2B hunters are aware, but that extended doe season, where you could use shotguns in Allegheny and/or rifles in 2B outside Allegheny in January is no more.  Know for sure it was done away with last year, and maybe the previous year.  And it is not on tap for this year either.  Have informed a couple of buddies who hunt 2B of this in the past year of this, and they had no idea. 

Hunted a spot this evening in northern 2B with my son that we haven't hunted since the second week of October.  People have been seeing a massive 12 around there at all times of the day.  If it's the same buck I think it is, he was a very nice 9 two years ago and we had him broadside at 25 yards in gun season then but my son totally froze with buck fever.  Saw a small 6, and right before it got dark, there were deer moving/maybe chasing in some thick brush that we couldn't see from our pop up blind.  

post edited by DRod - 2014/11/12 20:07:47
S-10
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 20:31:43 (permalink)
Slower than last sat-mon but still some hot does around. Almost hit a big one chasing a doe down a dirt road Monday. Grunted in a six point that was seeking yesterday. Had the biggest one I've seen all season in my backyard last night. Next 3 days should fire them up again.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to: