Rut reports

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 20:33:06 (permalink)
DRod - The extended antlerless season in 2B was not completely eliminated, although it did change a little bit last year.  It was changed to remove the fringe counties of 2B from the season, but it still exists for Allegheny Co. 

From the PGC website:
DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 24. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.[quote/]

BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 20:49:53 (permalink)
Well here's my picture from Monday...
  Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Got in tree 5;30 Tuesday.3 does stroll past.
Nothing but tree rats running everywhere.....
My deer season is done until rifle season....Hope to get out Thanksgiving day to kill my turkey

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 21:17:12 (permalink)
Congratulations on your doe Chrome.............................

I had my memory refreshed today and I must say it was a rude awakening.  Dang, sitting in 30 degree weather with 8 mph winds blowing directly into your face is mighty cold the day after 60 degree weather.  Some of you young uns may want to make a note of that, for future reference.  Anyhow, anybody know how far east that earthquake in Kansas made it; my ladder stand seems a little crooked and there's a broken tree limb in the tree next to mine.  Anyway, went to a big box store today to get a new card for my trailcam and I gotta tell ya I met some good people.  One guy caught my attention when I saw him pulling 'posted signs' from a roll, like they were toilet paper and he had to really........... blow his nose.  During our conversation he said he has had enough and was about to post 19 acres because of idiots shooting directly at his house.  No blame there for sure but it's another 19 acres gone because of slobs.  Talked to two other dudes while looking for deals on archery stuff I don't need.  General consensus was the same as for, the rut appearing to have come and gone and/or, plenty of deer and at what time they were active.  Saw plenty of things I didn't need but, a new ladder stand has my eye, maybe for gun season.

Finally made it to my stand around 3:30 PM and left the stand at 5:20 PM and was darn glad to start the long 5 min. walk home.  Man that was cold compared to the last two days and I gotta remember insulated boots instead of the Nikes for tomorrow.  Oh,  just remembered why I started this post, I didn't see a thing today.

Enjoyed the comments by all and looking forward to seeing more.  Only three days to go,  good luck to all and once again Chrome congrats.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DRod
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 21:38:58 (permalink)
Esox_Hunter
DRod - The extended antlerless season in 2B was not completely eliminated, although it did change a little bit last year.  It was changed to remove the fringe counties of 2B from the season, but it still exists for Allegheny Co. 

From the PGC website:
DEER, ANTLERLESS EXTENDED REGULAR FIREARMS: (Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties): Dec. 26-Jan. 24. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.[quote/]

Thanks Esox, didn't realize Allegheny was still in as I hunt on the fringes, as do the other guys I told about it.  Guess I better work on my reading comprehension 
post edited by DRod - 2014/11/12 21:42:18
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/12 21:57:53 (permalink)
Wags that is a great shot and from what I see of his neck it appears he is hot-to-trot   The neck sure looks to be swollen and the tarsal on the hind leg looks pretty dark but I'm surprised the stain doesn't run further down the leg.  That may be a good sign saying he is only starting to go for it.  Thanks for the post.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 05:46:24 (permalink)
Congrats to those who were successful and good luck to those who are still at it.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 07:54:15 (permalink)
Wish I could help with reports but, I haven't been out since the day I shot mine, 11/01.  I wanted to make it out to try and film and possibly take a doe but work has had me bottled up.  Guess I got lucky getting mine when I did.  I wouldn't have been hunting much these past two wks. anyway.

This was probably my worst year as far as deer sightings go, esp. in northern 2B (allegheny co.).  The doe herd took a beating, it seems, last year in rifle season.  
I wouldn't be using the doe tag around that area this year but I have some spots in southern allegheny co. that have lots of doe for the taking.

Good luck to those of you still at it.  Getting down to the wire.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 09:58:37 (permalink)
Eyes-I am in same boat filled the buck tag and just in time I am buried in work!

Its a nice morning here in 1b light snow falling not much wind I would love to be in the stand.
Perfect weather to get a buck up and roaming.

Good luck and enjoy everyone!
WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 10:16:45 (permalink)
Know that feeling on "the deer herd took a beating"; been countin' em down for 7 years now.  Moved to my present location 7 years ago this month. In the past I could cast a spot light over my fields morning/night and count an easy 8 to 10 sets of eyes looking back at me. Today, I use two field cams and get excited if I get pictures of a whitetail, sometime, during the week.

I remember seeing few, (very few) archers in the area and any gun fire (a shot here; a shot there) would be heard in distance field or woods.  Each year, more and more deer stands appear (ladder, climbers and, wooden structures) along with archers and gun hunters. Was once uncommon to see two and three hunters, in multiple vehicles or riding bicycles/scooters, heading to the same area. Gun fire from those areas is much more concentrated today, many times in multiple shots and, shorter times between shooting.  

No doubt in my mind the idea of 'moving the predator to the prey' is working just as, the Game Commission had planed. Once the herd reduction/elimination is successful in a given area, the predators will be seeking and eliminate the prey in new areas.  That's how it works..................  and it's working.  

So beware ye who brags of seeing plenty of deer in your stomping grounds, for the predators listen.  

"If you build it; he WILL come" ~Field Of Dreams (1989)~

PS. No offense intended; referring to hunters as being a predator,  that's just the way it is!

Times a wasting............  Good luck to all and to all; have a ball.............  I shoulda been a poet!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 10:46:14 (permalink)
Maybe if I get the hell off this puter and into my stand/woods; I might be able to kill (yeah I said kill) a buck. 
Paint me........................... gone!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/13 10:48:34

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 11:55:42 (permalink)
Good morning to be an apple in a tree. 30 degrees, no wind and a light snow falling. Had a 6 - 8- and 10 all under 15 yds at different times and all cruising but not hard. The ten was really testing me.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 12:18:37 (permalink)
We got a buck down boys
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 13:39:42 (permalink)
Good deal.

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 15:06:49 (permalink)
GREAT!- Eman.
Hope to see some details when I check in later.

I did a quick cam check this afternoon lil guys still roaming around day and nite.
The other 8 came by at nite no new bucks.

WCW
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 16:35:44 (permalink)
Came in at 930 with the.buck I seen yesterday. Just hanging out. Walked 25 yards and I smoked him. Pics added when I get on computer
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 21:24:23 (permalink)
way to go Eman

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/13 22:07:47 (permalink)
  Congrats E............  popcorn is in the microwave.

I hit it hard today.........  I mean to tell ya I stomped through the briers and I walked through the bushes, and I tramped through places where a rabbit wouldn't go, andddddd I climbed over brush so thick you couldn't fire a bow.  You know, I think I heard a song like that once.............. oh well, needles to say I saw absolutely nothing but, I got some good exercise.  (and I'm gonna pay for it in the morning).

Sat the last two hours in the stand and saw nothing but, on my long 5 min. trek home, I spotted three deer in another field.  There's hope, maybe tomorrow.  Got about a inch of light fluffy snow on my deck rails and still coming down.

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 06:58:55 (permalink)
Are you sure you are hunting in PA and not New Orleans?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 09:43:03 (permalink)
DarDys
Are you sure you are hunting in PA and not New Orleans?

Wife had the dude at the archery shop replace the batteries in my GPS, which I thought was nice but, she had him install them backwards.

Anybody know what happened to Eman; thought he was to post some pictures, ohhhh hell, you don't suppose his deer was confiscated as evidence.... do you?  

Anyway I replaced one of the 8 mb cards in my field cam with a 2 mb card, night before last, and being eager to see how things were working I checked it out last night.  Happy, Happy, Happy, I did 'cause I got a video of a shooter circling my stand, nose to the ground, at 4:45 AM. His neck was swollen and his tarsals were still dark with little to no staining down the inside of his leg.  I'm seeing a new guy in town, still on the hunt for some company, and it appears he hasn't been working or marking with any effort as yet. Guess who was tucked a way in his bed with visions of back strap dancing in his head.  Guess who was still in bed at the break of dawn this morning from the effects of his journey through the bayou.  C'mon have some pity, not my fault besides, somebody will feel sorry and give me some burger (or something) leftover from last year.  Anywho (< that ought to screw with spell check), coupled with the video and the three deer in the adjoining field last night might mean I have a chance.  To be successful however I must overcome one minor problem and that is...........getting the hell off this computer.  Goodbye (lmao) 

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 16:29:14 (permalink)
Saw a pic of a young fellow who arrowed a buck ,tuesday,by the Conemaugh power Plant, supposedly. 21 points, massive bases, non-typical. The buck will be min 230....WF...I never saw any Pa deer like that.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 16:44:16 (permalink)
Alt told you that would happen.

ChromeBandit412
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 17:41:40 (permalink)
Good luck tomorrow guys. Anyone going for bear archery next week?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 18:36:30 (permalink)
Finally saw a buck in the daylight hours,(during November),  Thursday about 4:35pm.... as I scoped it out I found out it was a SPIKE ... just my luck ...

Although I did FINALLY see a nice 8 point chasing a doe on the way to work this morning about  5 miles away from here,  in an Amish pasture field   ... LOL

Tonight I sat as long as I could and saw a small "fawn" and its Mother at 5:45pm.... have these deer never heard of daylight travel ???????????????????????????????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/11/14 19:04:34
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 18:46:25 (permalink)
Not in Amish country Doc.  They do like their venison.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 19:11:58 (permalink)
just for kicks ----  here is a cute photo of those two that pass by almost every single night  from dark to about 9pm....

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 21:11:28 (permalink)
How can anybody want to kill and eat something so cute?  Sorry, nice pictures Doc, that by chance the A-5 your shootin' pictures with?

Just brought my A-5 into the house for some cleaning and time change.  Batteries (4-Cs) seem to last a long time and the picture quality is nice.  I'm impressed with the night time trigger and capture range for both, video and stills.  Just last night I caught my first glimpse of a 'yote running around my deer stand while the camera was set for video.  Darn thing triggered the camera from the right about 40 yds out then moved away from the camera but, the video was clear enough to identify that it was a 'yote.  I can honestly say there is but, 2 dislikes I have with the camera and neither are really that big of a deal.  1. I don't care for pictures (many times multiple) of blowing leaves and/or weeds.  2. The reset time for the trigger (1 min.) and/or the number of captures being just one, before reset.  I have a second camera that will fire 1 to 3 shots and reset in as little as 3 seconds.  I sit the A-5 on a tripod which allows for quick and easy moving and/or set-ups especially, in rough terrain and,  where there may not be a tree or fence post.  

Like you, I'm not getting much cooperation with a nice shooter showing his face during legal hunting hours but, I sure am getting some nice pictures of what lurks in my back yard at night.  One more day with the bow in the woods then it's off to firearms so there's still time for back strap and baloney.   Being old school I prefer to save my 'antlerless' tag for late archery just in case I don't succeed getting a buck.  Now if a deer still has horns ok or, I see a deer that has lost his horns ok.  Seeing a deer not having horns or the recent loss of horns I gotta think, about how hard the local herd was hit so, maybe.  Last but not least, if all else fails, I have pictures and will only need to find  a good recipe for .......  pictures baloney.

Good luck tomorrow, hope to see some 'pictures'.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 21:33:27 (permalink)
It's a Moultrie A-8

we have them at the hardware for $99.99, I was TIRED of replacing batteries in the wildgame camera every couple of weeks. I've been told it's because of the regular "white" flash at nights eating up batteries.........

4 "C" batteries in the Moultrie since AUGUST 1st, and I'm averaging 40-50 pictures in 24 hours... and the 25% battery life left light has still not come on !!!

I LOVE THIS CAMERA ....

Like you I wish I did not get so many pictures of blowing leaves .. photos of nothing after a squirrel trips the camera and disappears and blowing branches also set it off....

The one thing I  HATE about it is the directions say to NEVER have the camera on "auto" while removing the SD card.... so that means turning it off... remove the SD card.. and remember (sometimes hard when you are only a few months away from being 70) to turn it back to "auto" and close....I have forgotten to set back to "auto" before closing it about 5 times since August and as a result you get NO PHOTOS............ just like what I did last night before dark

BTW - all those photos of the great bucks here last year were turned into jerky ....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2014/11/14 21:42:39
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 21:43:16 (permalink)
Hear you about turning off the unit and turning it back on cause I've  BeenThereDoneThat!  

Enjoyed the chat; keep your pictures coming, especially of your success tomorrow.  Hunt safely.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/14 21:59:34 (permalink)
http://www.fieldandstream.com/rut-report.

If I read the info posted on this sight correctly; the rut hasn't started yet, the deer are still chasing?????????????

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/15 05:43:37 (permalink)
Timeline:  Today; around 5:00 AM, somewhere between lost and found.
Good morning to all,
O.A.T is 27` F. with 5-8 mph WSW wind and,  light snow falling.  Weatherman says O.A.T might hit 30 degrees around noon today.  

My itinerary for the day will include strapping my self  to a tree approx. 15 feet in the air somewhere in the PA. Wilds, to watch the sun rise while, listening to the world around me wake up.   Not likely to hear the frogs and birds I heard at the beginning of this week but, it should be interesting.

My hopes and dreams are to 'harvest' a legal whitetail buck during the first few minutes of legal shooting time so that, I may get my azz back to a lounge chair located, in my warm and cuddly man cave.

With that I bid all, who dare venturing out on this beautiful day to cast or shoot, good luck and a safe day.

PS.  Those successful with your whitetail hunt;   In the name of science, remember to report your 'harvest'.  (sorry)

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to: