AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..156157158159160.. > >> Showing page 158 of 199
Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/05 12:03:25 (permalink)
Congrats HT, fresh meat to go with the garden veggies you put up for the winter.  
I'm still in the process of staining my house and once done hope to replace the corner boards before the snow flies
so I can't say if I'll get much time in the woods this season. 
You're right Fichy, I've used the tick spray on my clothing since the early 80's.  My brother in law turned me on to a product called Permanone with the active ingredient permethrin.  He worked for Con Edison and they supplied their employees with cans of the spray when working afield.  It not only repels ticks, etc but also kills them if they do get on your clothing.  Great stuff.  As you said today's spray is called Sawyer's.  Walmart,****s Sporting Goods and a number of other stores sell the spray. 
Also useful on your clothing/waders when you are crunching the brush to get to your favorite fishing spot in the warmer months.   
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/05 14:52:04 (permalink)
Thanks for the insight on the product. I been using 99% deet spray and it doesn't seem to work. We had many ticks on us this weekend as well. The infection is really starting to bother me. Couldn't sleep last night and things are becoming more a struggle.
Hopefully it passes quicker then later.

Also thanks on the harvest. I look forward to processing my meat and another or 2 would be great.
Was going to hit the SR on thurs but the body's saying not. Good luck to all that venture out, I'd think there are some fiesty trout around.

Bailed the woods at around noon. Started raining here a little while ago.
Heard temps of below freezing coming 😁

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3067
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/05 15:46:43 (permalink)
Congrats on the Buck and hope you get better from the tic bite soon.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/06 19:53:52 (permalink)
For all you fall winter enthusiast, it's getting ready. Cold rain is cooling the ground and water.
Nighttime lows at or below freezing and highs of 40's.
Yea I'm ready, let the season begin.

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/06 20:06:29 (permalink)
Not quite yet , I have one more weekend of work to get ready...........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/06 20:16:50 (permalink)
Maybe so. As long as the winds and rains hold off, I'll take the brisk air. Please keep the dreaded S*** word away though. Umm Jack, no dancing for you .

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/07 10:12:58 (permalink)
I'll be dancing on the Erie tribs in Penna. next week,they finally got water to bring them in and spread them around.They got too much water over the weekend as two men went into a basement during a tornado warning and were drowned by flood water.Scuba divers were used to retrieve the bodies.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/07 19:52:55 (permalink)
I'm guessing lake effect this Friday in to saturday. Highs only in the 20s and teens in to Saturday morning...
Ticks have been horrible up here. Multiple Ticks all over me, kids, friends and pets the past few weeks
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/07 20:22:29 (permalink)
Good for you Jack. I hope the fish bend your rod once again, as they always seem to. Envious my friend.
Safe travels, prepare for chilly winds.
My son is getting snow now In lower adks.
Share pictures if you can and mostly the story to read.

Woodstove has house a comfortable 78deg tonight. Expecting a low of 26, then dropping through week-end. I'll take it personally, freeze this mud and water up, I'm ready to play

Cut tonight before the cold did.
Only outdoors left are Brussels and garlic
post edited by hot tuna - 2017/11/07 20:27:12

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/07 22:06:57 (permalink)
We got an inch of unexpected snow in south central
Pa.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/08 08:27:34 (permalink)
Didn't get no snow this morning but there sure was a bunch of frost.  Yinz know what that say about "when there's frost on the pumpkin, it's time for........ gettin rev'd for ice fishin.    With that in mind, here is BTDT's winter forecast of 2017-18.    Well OK, so it ain't my forecast, I just changed the name to protect the toopid.

PRECIPITATION might be's

TEMPERATURE maybe be's

2017-18 Winter Outlook map for temperature (NOAA)
Download Image

WHAT THE HELL will it be's

Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center released the U.S. Winter Outlook today, with La Nina potentially emerging for the second year in a row as the biggest wildcard in how this year’s winter will shape up. La Nina has a 55- to 65-percent chance of developing before winter sets in.

Temperature
      Warmer-than-normal conditions are most likely across the southern two-thirds of the continental U.S., along the East Coast, across Hawaii and in western and northern Alaska.Below-average temperatures are favored along the Northern Tier of the country from Minnesota to the Pacific Northwest and in southeastern Alaska.
The rest of the country falls into the equal chance category, which means they have an equal chance for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and/or precipitation because there is not a strong enough climate signal in these areas to shift the odds.Precipitation
    Wetter-than-average conditions are favored across most of the northern United States, extending from the northern Rockies, to the eastern Great Lakes, the Ohio Valley, in Hawaii and in western and northern Alaska.Drier-than-normal conditions are most likely across the entire southern U.S.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/08 08:43:14

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/08 10:51:50 (permalink)
pa creeks came up fast sunday
started fishing a nice flow, within about 20 minutes water had come up about 3 feet

wishin i was fishin
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/08 19:41:23 (permalink)
There was 1/2 inch of ice on all the buckets this am.......

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/08 23:48:29 (permalink)
Just returned from last call with my two "Bumpus Hounds". Male lifted his leg and fired off two yellow icicles. Female said no way and ran back in the house.

Gettin cold outside, clear sky with a beautiful half moon. Frost is on the pumpkin....... OH BOY!!! 😝
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/08 23:49:42

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/09 06:58:12 (permalink)
23 degrees at 6am

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/09 07:16:56 (permalink)
20.3 degrees at 5:33 AM according to my official TWC Home Weather Station low temp readout, here in my little piece of Penn's Woods.

Don't know what it's looking like out yonder in the East but right now, a big ole beautiful sun is comin over the tree tops. Heavy ground frost is about to become vaporized.

Good day to all and to all, tight lines.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/11/09 07:24:04

Attachment(s)

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/09 07:55:04 (permalink)
Great sunrise

wishin i was fishin
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 07:14:50 (permalink)
This morning  it is 25.4 degrees F. here in my neck of the Penn's Woods with the wind coming in from the North at 4.6 MPH.  Thought for sure I'd see the ground laden with snow this morn' but it was, a no show.    Wind was from the south at 45 degrees F. until about 6:00 PM last night when old man winter caused a 180 degree turn from the north and the house began to pitch.  Got pretty gusty through the night and I could see by the radars glow, bands of snow, dropping SSE from the big lake.  But still a no go for any snow, here in my little piece of the Pennsylvania Wilds.

For those wishing to fish, maybe seeking the elusive white tailed deer or perhaps will just be enjoying a beer, hope your day is full of cheer!  I know but it ain't my fault, toopid cabin fever!!!!

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 18:41:22 (permalink)
Well we got an inch plus of snow, but the wind was brutal. Oneida was starting to skim over this pm when I went across the bridge. Time to get the plows on the trucks boys. Started looking on my ice fishing stuff ready . Rebuilt a buddy heater I got for $5 with 12$ of parts and got a working eater out f it.
HT if you read this I have the chance of getting a Tanaka powered  6inch Nil's auger auger for $200 , if everything checks out does that sound like a good price????? I am getting sick of turning holes, although my 5'' nil's auger turns pretty easy.  

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 20:22:27 (permalink)
I'm reading Clint.
If it runs and not a bent shaft, it's a winner.
I've used 1 and they are nice and light. Of course it's a nills so the heads are the kick in the butt price wise. I'm thinking, if it don't cut butter, it's another $75 for a head but the augers themselves run 5-600 .
My gas auger is a 1976 jiffy which is a heavy tank . It stays home and if the ice is to thick, I just jig outta a few holes from the hand crank.

My day was spent processing a deer.
Fun stuff but a boat load of work. At least it was 78 degrees in the man cave.

I can see 2 ranges from my house.
Catskills are white, Berkshires are not.
Stayed about 32 here all day but windy.
22 out now and calm.

I'm in hunting mode. In 2 more weeks I will look at my ice gear and put my grinders away

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 20:42:18 (permalink)
For the bent shaft, just start it and watch it run correct??  Even if I need a new cutting head I still think  I still would be in good shape.  My 4.5 nils is still in decent shape cutting wise and I could use that too

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 20:57:49 (permalink)
I think it's a good buy if you got the chance .
2 , well maybe of the 3 most important investments for my ice fishing in order.
1. Shanty. I have a few (5). If you can't be semi comfortable, it becomes a struggle.
2. Auger. While I have various shanties due to transport conditions , a very good auger gets the job done. Nice bonus to have a powered drill when needed.
3. Sonar. Makes a world of difference.

Ps. Yes shaft wobble will be noticeable.
Do some research, I think the power heads fit a variety of brand shafts.
Might help
post edited by hot tuna - 2017/11/10 21:00:46

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/10 21:47:02 (permalink)
Well I have all three, but not the best of the best. I do agree that it makes the day better.
I have a two man pop up and a two man flip. The flip had some larger holes repaired, but t holds some heat and keeps the wind off
I bought the 4.5 nils and it works great, but drilling the holes is usually still the crappiest part of the day (other than a drag through deep snow)
I have an entry level Marcum flasher and I do admit it's nice to know what's down there.
I finally have a decent trailer so I can bring my wheeler if I want too.
I am going to get it if it seems to work as it should.  It only weighs 21# can  be used with my other nils and  comes with handle to use as manual. Says it's 2 seasons old and comes with 7yr warranty.

Thanks for the insight Rich
Now on to GET SOME PLOWS THE TRUCKS TOMORROW

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/11 07:45:40 (permalink)
14 degrees early this am now up to 16 when the sun came up.  river is at 1650.  Time to batten down as long is the sun is shining

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/11 09:28:45 (permalink)
Probably gonna be a hot late morning in to afternoon bite
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/12 07:57:50 (permalink)
17 degrees. No wind and Sun is coming up

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/12 12:01:22 (permalink)
It was 26  here when I woke up , but I slept in till 0720.  Motor was bad on my plow, but lucky I had a spare. Going to get a new one and keep the spare a spare.  Getting the chicken coop ready today, cut down my sunflowers.  could not get the last row of taters because the ground is frozen. I need to get next years wood down next weekend at the latest

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/12 18:43:03 (permalink)
No brown down today. It was pleasant hunting weather.
Cold and crip with no wind.
Spike, 4pt and 5 doe crossed my path .
6 more chances for me .
Our hill top ponds were iced out and back

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/12 18:58:07 (permalink)
Still no time to hunt or fish for me. I continue to struggle to get ready for winter. The good news is I only have to clean and tidy the garage. Put the  chains  on the tractor, and move some vehicles around to their winter resting places.  Ah yes I still have to take down next years wood, and I have on tree left to cut and stack. I have next week off, but it seems to be packed full of appointments already. We are supposed to get a bad storm next week too............................

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/11/12 19:23:18 (permalink)
Dang Clint, I just checked the radar on NWS and it looks like somebody mup there is getting whacked right now.

We're to get a dusting here in lower NW PA. maybe later tonight but the temps are suppose to be a bit warmer with some sunshine mid week.

Page: << < ..156157158159160.. > >> Showing page 158 of 199
Jump to: