AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..151152153154155.. > >> Showing page 155 of 199
Author
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 16:46:08 (permalink)
Very nice fish Rich!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 17:13:18 (permalink)
Thanks jack. Just 1 of many .no place I'd rather be.
Wife had a blast and friends are priceless

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 17:14:33 (permalink)
That fish and others came on a f-9 rainbow trout Rapala

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 18:08:19 (permalink)
Much more to come from this adventure

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 18:59:35 (permalink)
Another great weather day. I will post my day adventure here because it's sort of weather related (Rich no dig on you, post reports here if you want,  don't care it's a catch all).  Got to Sandypond at about 1100 and it was sooooooop foggy we ended up a mile from where we wanted to go. Only saving grace was my buddies GPS on his phone. The fog burnt off and It took a bit but we found some nice perch, biggest was 13.5 and 10 others around 10-12. Sorry no photo evidence. Went through two scoops of fatties in 3 hours. Nice day. I even caught a mud puppy.  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/16 19:53:55 (permalink)
No worries on my treads Clint.
The weather is beautiful. About 40% peak foliage up here. It's going to be spectacular in 2 weeks.
Might just be my last line wet for September.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/17 18:19:56 (permalink)
Well with the nice weather I got chores done around  the house. Chimney is cleaned and only 2 loads of wood to finish up in the basement.  Need to drop next years trees when the leaves go, but that won't take long. The last patch of corn is ripe and the pumpkins are ready to pick.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/17 18:48:07 (permalink)
Glad you got some chores done. Today was kinda a bust. Very limited fishing time and to warm for my liking. Trail cam has a 6 pt hanging around since Friday.
These weekend trips are just way to short. .
Wife had a blast kayaking the river last night so it seems I will always have someone that wants to play :)
My friend did well with trout yesterday as well with me but I don't have any pictures to share.
Here is 1 more of the many we caught. Fall fishing up there is always spectacular and peaceful.
post edited by hot tuna - 2017/09/17 18:50:49

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 10:08:59 (permalink)
Rich,is that C&R ? Are they hold overs or natives?Are they all Brownies ?
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 11:18:46 (permalink)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfrausable.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfrwbausable.pdf

Some C+R, some harvest allowed,   many stockies but enough big ones and holdovers to make it maybe the best stream east of the Rockies, lots of Browns, surprising numbers of 'bows, and brookies , more and more as you go upstream into the headwaters.  There is some great water for Brookies up above the ski jumps in South Meadow on State land and it doesn't even make the maps!  Plus, if you get tired of the Ausable, it's only a short hop over to the Saranac River, again beaucoup access and many fish.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 13:24:52 (permalink)
Those fish were caught in the catch and keep section. It has the best survival a d natural reproduction rate for the fish as its mostly deep pools and slower moving water. The C&R sections , IMO are in the wrong place. That water is mostly fast moving pockets. It gets a bunch of anchor ice and a lot of winter kill.
I caught brookies and browns this trip and surprisingly no rainbows, I think they are really cutting back on their stocking but again , I know where the lunkers lurk . We did catch some nice bows in june.

The state stocks a mix of 2 year Olds as well as the usual .
On thing for sure , it's not easy wading. Lots of fast water , boulders and slippery banks. You can step of a rock and be up to your neck or flat on your back in a instant
post edited by hot tuna - 2017/09/18 13:36:46

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 14:07:05 (permalink)
hot tuna
Those fish were caught in the catch and keep section. It has the best survival a d natural reproduction rate for the fish as its mostly deep pools and slower moving water. The C&R sections , IMO are in the wrong place. That water is mostly fast moving pockets. It gets a bunch of anchor ice and a lot of winter kill.
I caught brookies and browns this trip and surprisingly no rainbows, I think they are really cutting back on their stocking but again , I know where the lunkers lurk . We did catch some nice bows in june.

The state stocks a mix of 2 year Olds as well as the usual .
On thing for sure , it's not easy wading. Lots of fast water , boulders and slippery banks. You can step of a rock and be up to your neck or flat on your back in a instant

That does n't sound like a good place for old geezers....like me!
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 14:28:39 (permalink)
You manage to fish the SR, just as slick as the Ausable.  However, while the algae in the SR likes cleats for traction, you want to use felts and a staff in the Ausable.  And you have to scale down you idea of distance, It used to take me all day to fish about 100 yards down around the old Stevens campground, fast movement is neither productive or necessary (and could be dangerous).  There were a ton of fish everywhere we went on the river.  NYS Stocks a huge number of fish (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23261.html) Aside from the NYS Stocking, Essex County puts a mess of fish in.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 15:00:23 (permalink)
The rod and gun club also puts in some 20" plus fish.
Lucky, the ausable is nothing like walking the Salmon, it's boulder strewn and cobble mostly. I do a float and stop at the productive deep corner bends. Well until you hit the old dam at the quarry hole. Most of which see little pressure due to the bushwackin needed from the easy road access.
Honestly Jack, I think you could do it but it wouldn't be very easy on your legs.

If you wanted to spend all day at basset flats or shadow rock casting to the educated trout like most people do, then 6ou don't have to put much ground under your shoes but typically I do cover a LOT of water for the fish I'm looking to catch

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 16:28:26 (permalink)
I noticed some large numbers of Landlocked Salmon,do they migrate to a lake or stay in the river?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/18 16:52:48 (permalink)
The landlocks aka Atlantic salmon migrate from lake Champlain into the lower sections of the major tribs such as ausable, bouquet and Saranac rivers.
Typically these are very wide, lots of boaters fish the mouths and river anglers are limited. There are some restrictions on gear at certain times, some as far a zero weight and or no bait.
While thes are beautiful and at times trophy fish to many, myself included, they may not be what your thinking terms of great lakes. A monster would be low teens, a good fun fish would be over 14"
I'll write something up in a little while once I settle in. I got a story to tell from yesterday :)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/19 11:50:12 (permalink)
hot tuna
The rod and gun club also puts in some 20" plus fish.
Lucky, the ausable is nothing like walking the Salmon, it's boulder strewn and cobble mostly. I do a float and stop at the productive deep corner bends. Well until you hit the old dam at the quarry hole. Most of which see little pressure due to the bushwackin needed from the easy road access.
Honestly Jack, I think you could do it but it wouldn't be very easy on your legs.

If you wanted to spend all day at basset flats or shadow rock casting to the educated trout like most people do, then 6ou don't have to put much ground under your shoes but typically I do cover a LOT of water for the fish I'm looking to catch

My point was that both are very slick, but in different ways, with different footgear requirements.  And I tried it with cleats despite Fran Betters' warnings, and was back buying felt sandals the next AM.

You can park at Monument Falls and fish that hole with about 100 yards of walking, and that spot yielded my largest fish, and many other ones even if it is about the easiest access other than Lake Everest, on the River.   It is also not a long walk to the flume, albeit a pretty steep hill coming out, and you can fish that one without getting wet.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/23 08:51:54 (permalink)
I've found that aluminum bars, the kind Patagonia developed, works for me  on both algae covered rocks and digs into smooth rock, also.  In other words, works on the Ausable and  the SR .    Works on boulder fields in the salt  and they don't pick up 7 lbs. of sand per sole. Less than spikes or felt on mud and snow/ice, though.   Now we're getting far afield so....
    This is the deadest I've ever seen this place, especially during the run. I'm heading out for a day next week, and then again later if the steel show up. It was very hard to get up the enthusiasm , but somehow I've rekindled enough to tie some flies and swap shooting heads and running lines for switch lines on a few  larger reels. Thanks to a few friends for prodding me to go.  I've got some good memories which I don't wish to displace with bad, so I'll try to limit my exposure to the bad parts of the SR.   Do beginners now go somewhere on Facebook to ask questions?  Even  Ohio to the Altmar Hotel or bust  isn't trolling. Almost miss the arrogance and stealth  snagging advice. Not.  
    I wish all a good and safe season.  Think steel.
post edited by fichy - 2017/09/23 08:54:08
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/23 10:16:39 (permalink)
Way to go Charlie- coming up myself in a week or two.
Perhaps between the two of us we can make some decent reports.
Been waiting for upriver to heat up some  to try and keep outa the 'show' down low.
Steel ???
HOPE

just reserved a few midweek nights in a couple of weeks- cant wait.
Fish, who cares---lol
post edited by r3g3 - 2017/09/23 13:50:56
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/23 14:32:02 (permalink)
Good advice on the traction. I am in need and will look towards that aspect.
Not sure if this place is dead but more of a calm welcome from the past , it's hooked it's cooked mentality. Possibly folks have learned to fish or figured it's not the place for them. I'm sure anyone here could steer folks in the right direction when asked.
What I miss is hearing about others adventures and insight they may share towards opening up possibilities abound. I understand however, some things are just left out of the peering eyes.
Hope to see folks out on the water or to sit around spinning tall tales .

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 07:22:56 (permalink)
I took another great day on SandyPond.  other than the party boats driving a little close going to the beach it was a pretty good day.  Not as many perch today but a few jumbo's along with one almost 14inches.  When it cools down a bit I will hit the river this week

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 11:38:26 (permalink)
Nice Clint. This weather went the wrong way since I covered my pool 2 weeks ago. Trying to get into deer mode with opening day next Sunday but the heat has me slowing. I'll take it , for now as I winterize my boat and camper today. Mowing and yard work is a slow hot task. Mix in some late season gardening .
Got a text my boy is going up on wends to try his first solo salmon experience. Last time he was with me for salmon he was around 16 years old. He is 31 now.
Enjoy the weather and do a winter ice dance for me :)
post edited by hot tuna - 2017/09/24 11:39:48

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 14:37:58 (permalink)
Here is my try of a pic of my perch

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 18:52:37 (permalink)
Rich,tellyour son to look me up,I'll be arriving late morning on Wed.Maybe I can help him out with the Salmon.
Clint,no picture came thru????
post edited by pafisher - 2017/09/24 18:53:48
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 19:32:12 (permalink)
Can't get to work off my phone so I gave up

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 19:57:29 (permalink)
Dang Clint I got my popcorn all ready to see them pics. Did you try resizing your pictures?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 20:23:39 (permalink)
https://flic.kr/p/Z3pMu8
 figured it out lol
post edited by Clint S - 2017/09/24 20:25:45

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/24 20:32:41 (permalink)
Yes you did, what a zinger of a perch. Congratulations.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2017/09/25 09:30:00 (permalink)
beautiful weekend up there
the circus was in full swing, but the river was beautiful

wishin i was fishin
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/10/01 07:18:28 (permalink)
Winter's Coming. 31.6 degrees F. when I woke this morning. Now at 7:00AM in my little piece of Penn's Woods the Mercury is hovering at 31 degrees F. Sky is bright as the sun continues up into the Eastern sky. I know the frost, now coating all things from the grass to the tree tops, will now be short lived.

Certainly a sign of Winter's coming, while raising the question; where the devil did summer go?

"MyFirstFrost". by BTDT.
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌 😝
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/01 07:27:22

Attachment(s)

Page: << < ..151152153154155.. > >> Showing page 155 of 199
Jump to: