Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
virginia slim
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/09 21:53:10 (permalink)

methods for freezing fish

we had a wonderful time in pennsylvania and between 5 of us southern guys we were lucky enough to limit out each day, only in erie.
first off thanks for helping us out. fisherman in virginia are tight lipped and never volunteer info. you pennsylvania guys are great and unselfish, volunteeing to help us out.
I do have one more question, we did trade a bunch of our fish in for smoked ones but we did keep quite a few fillets for grilling and such. my question is on storing smoked and fresh fish. is vaccum sealing the way to go or freezing in water?

41 Replies Related Threads

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/09 22:04:48 (permalink)
    Hmmm five guys keeping there limit each day...wonder why the Virginians are so tight lipped???? 

Anyway, vacuum sealing would be good for freezing the fresh fillets I don't know about the smoked ones.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/09 22:20:32 (permalink)
    Freeze them   When ready to Eat  MICROWAVE  for 5 minutes

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/09 22:53:39 (permalink)
    I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I can't keep my mouth shut on this one.

I'm not one to complain about people keeping fish usualy, but you guys kept 15 fish each, a total of 75!? That seems a little bit freaking ridiculous!  If those fish came from any trib other than 20 mile my guess is you pretty much cleaned it out.  "not to many fish left but i'm sure the hole will still produce a few." hmmm I wonder why?  

Again not trying to start an argument, but next time maybe use your head a little bit.  Don't forget that the fish consumption advisories in Lake Erie suggest only eating ONE MEAL of steelhead a MONTH.  My guess is most of those fish will be thrown out anyways. 

Still don't understand how anyone can enjoy the taste of those things, just my opinion, lol.

-Tim

Loon10
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 01:11:21 (permalink)
    Tim,

I totally support catch and release.  The fish you caught today may be the fish I catch tomorrow.
    I also release most of the fish I catch, however, I did bring three home from my first outing in Erie
    simply because I have never eaten steelhead and want to give it a try.  In fact, Wednesday evening
    there will be steelhead on the grill at my house.  Does that make me a bad person because I brought
    three of your steelhead home?

As for those guys keeping a days limit a piece,  so be it.  They paid for their licenses (in fact more
    for non-resident licenses) and stamps just as we did and they are certainly entitled to keep their
    share.  So they kept 15 fish a piece.  That is no different than us going trout fishing on three occasions
    and keeping a five fish limit each outing.  I've done it and I would wager so have many others on this
    forum.  They clearly stated they traded in some of their catch for smoked fish.  So, others are going
    to benefit from their catch also, maybe even some of those near and dear to the Erie area.

As for cleaning out the stream, I highly doubt that.  From the amount of smolt I enountered when I was
    there, granted on the west side, I highly doubt your streams are going to be extinct of fish.  It would
    appear the PFBC, and the authorities to be, are taking great care of your fish population.

Lastly, and please don't take this the wrong way.  Who are you to say that most of those fish will be
    thrown out?  Do you know these Virginia residents personally and that they routinely throw their fish away?
    Maybe they really enjoy their fish and their entire catch will be gone within a week or two.

In closing, we all pay for our licenses and we are entitled to keep our legal daily limits.

Loon
    Tight lines and screaming reels
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralPaTrout/
    Loon10
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 01:14:44 (permalink)
    Oh... I prefer freezing fish in water rather than vaccuum sealing....fresher tasting.

Loon
    Tight lines and screaming reels
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralPaTrout/
    trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 01:18:15 (permalink)
    Thats what they're stocked for.

end of story...................

On a sidenote, fishing a stream when smolts are present..
    thats a crime.

trade winds
    New Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 01:31:22 (permalink)
    another thing, Catch an release VS harvest.

basis of C & R, get the most bang for the buck. release the fish so others or yourself may have another opportunity to impale it with a hook and basically torture it the shore.(I love to fish, but just describing the reality, ugly or not)

harvest, basically do what nature intended. put the fish in your mouth and eat it.

btw, I don't like how they taste so I practice C&R. I actually hope that noone catches my fish again. I hope swims back to the lake and comes back a 15 pounder... then I hope I catch it again.

reality again, y guru will probably catch it and sell it to sabrinas mom for gas money.
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 01:43:41 (permalink)
    "Does that make me a bad person because I brought
    three of your steelhead home?"

No. 

"As for cleaning out the stream, I highly doubt that.  From the amount of smolt I enountered when I was
    there, granted on the west side, I highly doubt your streams are going to be extinct of fish.  It would
    appear the PFBC, and the authorities to be, are taking great care of your fish population."

lol...  nahh man, thats not what I was saying.  I am well aware that there will be tons of fish next year to replace these ones.... 

What I'm saying is that this time of year it is very easy to clean out a smaller stream, on the count there there is little if any more fresh fish comming in.  Let someone else have the joy of catching them before its all done until the fall.

"Lastly, and please don't take this the wrong way.  Who are you to say that most of those fish will be
    thrown out?  Do you know these Virginia residents personally and that they routinely throw their fish away?
    Maybe they really enjoy their fish and their entire catch will be gone within a week or two."

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that alot of fish are thrown away.  Do I know that these dudes personaly are going to do that?  No, so maybe I was wrong to assume that. 

But what I do know is thats a heck of alot of fish for even a family to eat...  and I HIGHLY doubt that ANYONE can eat 15 freaking steelhead in a week or two, cmon...  First of all, not only is that disgusting, but dangerous check out the consumption advisorys... 

anyways...  one steelhead should be able to feed 2 people for a meal.  Theres a difference between keeping a couple 9 inch stream trout and a couple 25 inch steelhead... 

If they would go by the fish consumption advisorys, I'm guessing it would take about a year to eat all of these fish, lol.  But my guess is they will either find out how bad they taste first, or just get sick of eating them.  Best case scenario, they give some of them away.

-Tim
    post edited by fishrmn - 2007/04/10 01:58:07
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 07:45:26 (permalink)
    If you vacuum seal them just make sure you pre freeze them before you seal them. If you don't the liquid from the fish can get into the vacuum pump and destroy it. I use the vacuum sealer for all types of meats and fish and never had a problem w/ anything never tasting fresh. W/ the sealer you can get a 1 yrs time out of the freezing.
    Tom
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Hmmm five guys keeping there limit each day...wonder why the Virginians are so tight lipped???? 

Anyway, vacuum sealing would be good for freezing the fresh fillets I don't know about the smoked ones.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 08:14:07 (permalink)
    Glad u guys got into them , ignore some of the more sarcastic replies for keeping fish some guys are just full of it. Like Loon10 said freezing fish in water is the way to go. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 08:36:50 (permalink)
    Wouldnt it still be considered pre/late season, with the limit only being 3? Thats nine, 6 more swimming then you think.

I have two problems with trout

1: Stocked trout, when they are gone, there gone, theres no "runs of fresh fish"
    2: The limit is a little high

I could care less if you eat 10 billion steelhead. But a 10lb fish should equal 2 limits of regular trout, at least!

3 is enough for a party.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 09:09:16 (permalink)
    Keep what you need is what I believe....If the meat is going to feed your family then thats great for you.  You paid for it. 

I guess there will always be ****ing about keeping fish, too many fishermen, stop fishing when you catch a smolt, etc. etc.  You'll find the "chronic complainers" that complain about everything in every crowd on every subject.

Is there a problem with the Erie fisheries???  I don't think so...I don't know about some of you, but everytime I fish Erie streams or the lake, I do pretty darn well.  I would say that on average, when steelheading, I get 10 per trip...at least.  I won't even mention the walleye, perch and bass fishing successes I've had on Erie.  The fishery is phenomenal, so quit crying!  Something is being done right and folks should be proud of that and promote to, educate and welcome newcomers so that your region can prosper because of it and them.  I only live about an hour and a half from Erie and have been fishing there for years.  Things have only gotten better from what I see.  Catch and Release is partially the reason, I agree, but like anything else, you need a good balance of C&R and "thinning the heard" to let them regenerate etc. As for the stocked fish...they are stocked for a reason, and will be stocked again year after year for that same reason.  So if you Catch and Release, more power to you...you're doing your part, Thanks....and for those who keep a few for the freezer, more power to you as well, If you like the taste of fresh fish, Enjoy!  But keep only what you need. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/10 09:10:12

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 09:33:50 (permalink)
    I rarely keep steelhead or trout anymore unless someone asks me to. Maybe 1 or 2 a year, just got tired of eating them. Now walleye that's a different story.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 11:06:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steelydaze

Glad u guys got into them , ignore some of the more sarcastic replies for keeping fish some guys are just full of it. Like Loon10 said freezing fish in water is the way to go. 

No sarcasm here. I think fishrmn makes a valid point do you need to keep 75 fish over the course of a long weekend? It not a cr vs harvest issues, its just a question of how much is enough...are you feeding a village.

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 11:25:27 (permalink)
    point taken.
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 11:34:16 (permalink)
    only on fisherie....

bunch of do gooders spewing out info to anyone that asks on the internet.
    then get boo boo lipped when that person uses the info they gave.

you'll never learn.

~ted~
    virginia slim
    New Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 11:54:15 (permalink)
    sorry about the trouble I caused.
    just to explain myself,we only get to erie once or twice a year.yes,we keep limits if we catch them.as far as 75 fish being to much,not hardly.we will eat these fish all summer and thats why i asked how to freeze them.
    we payed about $400 for our licences and keeping 75 fish. we payed about $3 for each fish.if you think thats wrong,too bad.
    it's legal and we will do it as long as it is legal.
    virginia slim
    New Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 11:56:05 (permalink)
    oh and thanks to the guys who gave help with the freezing issue.
    vacuum sealed is the way to go. we did them last night and they came out perfect.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 12:04:35 (permalink)
    Slim,

I would suggest consuming, or sharing those smokers. Smoked Steelhead do not hold up well to freezing, in my experience.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bobbi Joe
    New Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 12:18:29 (permalink)
    RONNY FROZE OVER 200 WALEYES FROM PYMATUING SO FAR THIS YEAR WE VACCUUM SEAL THEM WITH THE FOODSAVER AND RONNYS NEFEW KEEPS THEM IN THE FREEZER TILL WE HEAD BACK HOME WE EAT THEM ALL YEAR.
    WITH GAS PRICES SO DEAR WE SAVE ALL THE MONEY WE CAN AND HAVING FRESH WALEYE IS A GOOD DINNER AND SAVES MONEY
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 12:54:26 (permalink)
    Smoked fish turns to mush in the freezer, UNLESS you vacumn seal it,then it's good 6 months later. If filets are somewhat dry, you can vacumn seal without freezing first.  Meanwhile, the state set the limit at three a day, so if you want, take three. No different than keeping a limit of walleyes.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 13:03:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: virginia slim

sorry about the trouble I caused.
    just to explain myself,we only get to erie once or twice a year.yes,we keep limits if we catch them.as far as 75 fish being to much,not hardly.we will eat these fish all summer and thats why i asked how to freeze them.
    we payed about $400 for our licences and keeping 75 fish. we payed about $3 for each fish.if you think thats wrong,too bad.
    it's legal and we will do it as long as it is legal.

Actually if you kept 75 I think that is a violation. I read on here before that there are one time posession limits...in other words if you are there for the weekend you can only keep a certian amount of fish, and it isn't three per day. Would someone clarify this.

BTW I get up there 2 to 3 times a year and last seasom I kept three fish...not judging just stating as you did.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 13:26:31 (permalink)
    You are correct Tippy.

(b) you may possess two days’ limit while traveling to your residence from an overnight fishing trip of two or more consecutive days.

A three day limit, would be a violation.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 13:46:59 (permalink)
    I am not judging anyone because I do keep some fish.  But I have found that the only time a steelhead is worth eating is when they are bright silver and fresh.  I can not understand how someone could eat the old black males or old spawned out females.  They taste like fishy mashe potatoes.  Something that they would eat on fear factor.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 14:14:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crawlerman2

I am not judging anyone because I do keep some fish.  But I have found that the only time a steelhead is worth eating is when they are bright silver and fresh.  I can not understand how someone could eat the old black males or old spawned out females.  They taste like fishy mashe potatoes.  Something that they would eat on fear factor.

Last time i checked mashed potatos were edible...

Get your fish bleed your fish fillet and freez in ziplock freezer bags in water they will stay excellent in your freezer. just dont overload your bags with fish or water...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 15:21:33 (permalink)
    Just my opinion.  Filllet the fish dry it off as much as possible get as much water off it as u can.  Wat er as a tendency to deterate  fillets and break them down.  Then seal pack them this is how i do all my fish.  Also i found less ice on the fillets that can take the fresh taste away.
    deadhorse11
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 15:51:23 (permalink)
    "Enough" is very clearly defined in the lawbooks.
    Perhaps they are feeding a village, perhaps not.
    Not really my business as long as they are within the laws.
    Glad you guys had a good hookup.
    Enjoy, they taste pretty good baked in ornage juice.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 16:42:04 (permalink)
    Fact is they were NOT within the confines of the law as stated above. Not making accusations, they probably were not aware. Now they are, what they choose to do with that knowledge is up to them. Not trying to bit(h just trying to edumacate

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    RE: methods for freezing fish 2007/04/10 23:32:42 (permalink)
    Exactly, these guys were infact three limits over.  They are lucky they didn't get caught, that would have probably been a big fine.

"we will eat these fish all summer"

Glad to hear they will get put to use. 

Me, I'll stick to fish that actualy taste good.
    -Tim

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: