LockedANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 12:23:26 (permalink)
quote:

Most deer hunters hunted for bucks and took a doe as a last resort.

That in my opinion is a bunch of BS...

#1 = for many years in the past it was one and done for harvesting deer .... so many did not even have a chance or choice to hunt both

1. The PGC themselves made that statement.
2. Archery season was for years either sex but one deer only and seldom was a doe tagged when you still had rifle season to try for a buck.
3. Alt sold AR/HR by holding up a big set of antlers not a teat bag.
4. We didn't sell so many non-resident licenses because of doe. Since AR/HR dereased the buck kill and increased the doe kill they are staying home.
5. The folks who claim they are just as happy with a doe as they are with a buck probably never had much luck killing bucks or like you will make any claim the PGC wants them to make.
6. One of the documented reasons the PGC wanted AR was to make it more difficult to find a legal buck in hopes hunters would get discouraged and harvest a doe instead.
7. Where are thePA orP&Y record books for doe?
8. You are in a minority if you feel that way and I seriously doubt that you do.
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 12:49:50 (permalink)
Wayne, i was womering in what area you do most of your deer hunting, not trying to start anything, its just where i hunt there are plenty of deer, legal bucks and doe. There arent as many as years past, but here in Crawford county i never have a problem finding deer, and where I hunt in Greene county the population borders on ludicrus. The point Im making is some of us dont understand the situation in other parts of the state and maybe thats why we dont understand some of your concerns.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 17:15:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bluntman

Wayne, i was womering in what area you do most of your deer hunting, not trying to start anything, its just where i hunt there are plenty of deer, legal bucks and doe. There arent as many as years past, but here in Crawford county i never have a problem finding deer, and where I hunt in Greene county the population borders on ludicrus. The point Im making is some of us dont understand the situation in other parts of the state and maybe thats why we dont understand some of your concerns.

Wayne lives and hunts in Greene County. Like you I can’t understand anyone in Greene County complaining about a lack of deer.

As far a Hanna’s suggested legislation; I think it is a ridiculous idea that would eventually lead to places even the stupidest of hunters wouldn’t want things going. When it gets to where allocations are legally being determined by popular opinion, regardless of whose opinion, with hunters only make up 8% of the state’s population it isn’t going to end well for hunters once the courts have even the first round of discrimination suits being heard.  

Anyone in favor of this type of legislation ether don’t understand the state constitution or simply has rocks in their head.   

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 17:17:17 (permalink)
Im not asking anyone to understand anything. Most are aware of the problems that are pretty much across the board with the mismanagement. If you disagree, thats fine. For those that don't, the information is here.

I have yet to see anywhere other than very isolated areas that the deer population is "ludicrous" and it certainly isnt in any of the dozens of properties I hunt across the entire county of greene. Though I am aware of some off limits properties in very localized areas where the populations might border on the ludicrous and the landowners are happy with their situation, and as such, I am happy for them. That can be the case in any unit in very rare isolated incidents. These certainly arent representative. Our number are however higher of course than the "worst" areas of the state, as they should be. The habitat type allows for much higher carrying capacity than say 2g. The harvest pretty much speaks for itself. Going from 13700 bucks down to 5800 might be accurately considered "ludicrous".
post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/04 17:42:18
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 17:21:48 (permalink)
bluntman,

Wayne said above that his opinion isn't based on what he's seeing in a post above.

Guys like Wayne and S-10 are happy watching 50 does.
Guys like me are happy seeing 5 does and killing 1.

And that, is where we agree to disagree.

As for the economic impact. If the PGC would quit approving DMAP for NCPA, I would no longer go there for a week of EML. I spend as much in October as anyone else does in December while hunting bucks (except for taxidermists)

JMO.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 17:25:52 (permalink)
"Like you I can’t understand anyone in Greene County complaining about a lack of deer."

Did I complain about lack of deer in Greene county? Please point out where? Things are far from as they should be, but that doesnt equate to "no deer" and the "trends" in population and harvest speak for itself. I also have a big problem with the fact the goal had been stabilization since 2004 and everyone knew it wasnt occurring as the decline in herd was noticeable. The allocations werent reduced. And now after all this time Rosenbrain finally admitted the units herd WAS indeed further reduced... And nothing was done all along, or since to counter it. You can paint me as some "deer behind every tree" wanting clown all you like, but those are the facts, not my opinions.

"As far a Hanna’s

Most credible and intelligent things youve said in months!

"As far a Hanna’s suggested legislation; I think it is a ridiculous idea that would eventually lead to places even the stupidest of hunters wouldn’t want things going. When it gets to where allocations are legally being determined by popular opinion, regardless of whose opinion, with hunters only make up 8% of the state’s population it isn’t going to end well for hunters once the courts have even the first round of discrimination suits being heard."

Courts wouldnt do a thing. Deer management as you know is NOT an exact science and its riddled with social issues and values laden decisions that are nothing more than judgement calls. If this were set up as it should be, there would be no standing whatsoever. As long as deer density goals were within proven deer densities per habitat type as had existed in many areas here previously as well as in other states, there is absolutely no standing whatseover for a lawsuit. There is not one state in the nation that has ever been successfully sued for having reasonable numbers of deer. Your usual scare tactics and nothing more.

Anyone in favor of this type of legislation ether don’t understand the state constitution or simply has rocks in their head.

Im in favor of it strongly, as should be most hunters. Since you have always been borderline anti with your sentiment and comments such as "hunters should be forced to take smart pills, you know wormed like dogs", and "hunters should take their money and take a flying leap", and the fringe type sentiment so strong your superiors told you to quit posting with your credentials. Given all that, I wouldnt expect you to understand things from a "pro-hunter" perspective. Didnt care to drag all that up again, but your rocks in the head comment was 100% out of line. Not that I care all that much about your opinion, but just wishing to set the record straight.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/04 17:38:07
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 17:32:47 (permalink)
"Wayne said above that his opinion isn't based on what he's seeing in a post above. "

Lie number one. I said its a compilation of things and not that alone.

Falsehood number two. Not once did I say anything about how many deer i "need" to see, or how many i was "happy watching". I guess you didnt like my answer as given so now you have to throw a tantrum to try and drag it out of me? Sorry chief. Child psychology hasnt worked on me since about the 3rd grade. But 50 does in one small area to me would represent a problem.

but I will say this, Ive seen 50 does twice in my life. Both times in WV. Id place reasonable average number of sighting at a fraction of that, doesnt really matter, as I said my position on the failing fraud management plan is a product of alot of things and not just short sighted selfishness. But I guess if you would have said that it doesnt slander me to say such does it? lmao.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/04 17:40:23
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 20:07:12 (permalink)
Guys like me are happy seeing 5 does and killing 1.

Guys like me haven't shot or tried to shoot a doe since the 5th year of AR/HR----Guys like me hunt bucks. I have nothing against shooting a doe where there are sufficient numbers of them.

If you spent less time killing does you might kill more bucks. If you think your happy so be it. That's the type of guys the PGC wants to keep reducing the herd.

I never saw 50 doe in one days hunt in my life.

My complaints of the PGC has nothing to with success as I am very successful on average but the buck hunting has become more of a job than a joy and for no good reason other than the enviromentalists wanting to manage the forests for birds and flowers.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 20:28:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

"Like you I can’t understand anyone in Greene County complaining about a lack of deer."

Did I complain about lack of deer in Greene county? Please point out where? Things are far from as they should be, but that doesnt equate to "no deer" and the "trends" in population and harvest speak for itself. I also have a big problem with the fact the goal had been stabilization since 2004 and everyone knew it wasnt occurring as the decline in herd was noticeable. The allocations werent reduced. And now after all this time Rosenbrain finally admitted the units herd WAS indeed further reduced... And nothing was done all along, or since to counter it. You can paint me as some "deer behind every tree" wanting clown all you like, but those are the facts, not my opinions.

"As far a Hanna’s

Most credible and intelligent things youve said in months!

"As far a Hanna’s suggested legislation; I think it is a ridiculous idea that would eventually lead to places even the stupidest of hunters wouldn’t want things going. When it gets to where allocations are legally being determined by popular opinion, regardless of whose opinion, with hunters only make up 8% of the state’s population it isn’t going to end well for hunters once the courts have even the first round of discrimination suits being heard."

Courts wouldnt do a thing. Deer management as you know is NOT an exact science and its riddled with social issues and values laden decisions that are nothing more than judgement calls. If this were set up as it should be, there would be no standing whatsoever. As long as deer density goals were within proven deer densities per habitat type as had existed in many areas here previously as well as in other states, there is absolutely no standing whatseover for a lawsuit. There is not one state in the nation that has ever been successfully sued for having reasonable numbers of deer. Your usual scare tactics and nothing more.

Im in favor of it strongly, as should be most hunters. Since you have always been borderline anti with your sentiment and comments such as "hunters should be forced to take smart pills, you know wormed like dogs", and "hunters should take their money and take a flying leap", and the fringe type sentiment so strong your superiors told you to quit posting with your credentials. Given all that, I wouldnt expect you to understand things from a "pro-hunter" perspective. Didnt care to drag all that up again, but your rocks in the head comment was 100% out of line. Not that I care all that much about your opinion, but just wishing to set the record straight.

What you just posted is the lack of understanding the State Constitution or rocks in the head comment do aptly applies.

The State Constitution clearly give everyone in the state, hunter or not, equal ownership of every deer out there. It is the State Legislature that has given the management of those deer, to the benefit of every person in the state, exclusively to the Penna. Game Commission. The day the State Legislature takes any part of the exclusive management away from the Game Commission and gives it to any other entity they have opened Panda’s box and to all manner of court interpretations about who has how much say in whether we even hunt various species.

I think even Hanna is smart enough to know that. All he is doing is pandering for votes from those hunters too stupid to know better. One of these days it is going to jump up and bite him hard on Election Day, just as did previous Representative Dan Surra a few years ago.

As for your comments about me being an anti-hunter or anything close to one, simply demonstrates your lack of knowledge. I have always been a very avid hunter and always will be. I hunt pretty much every chance I get even with a career that limits my hunting time. I hunt pretty much every day that I have off during the various seasons. I attend way more sportsmen meetings then anyone else on this site and always promote hunting in al atmospheres. What I am ANTI to though is listening to hunters or anyone else that refuses to learn enough about wildlife management and then thinking they know more than the professional managers simply because they have a hunting license. I also have always had a tendency to point it out when people talk about things relating to wildlife and management when they simply have no idea what they are talking about.

In my opinion it is people talking about or posting nonsense like yours that has in the past, and will continue into the to the future, to do more harm to the future of both wildlife and hunting than anti-hunters ever have or ever could cause. And, if you and your ilk don’t like it when I point out your nonsense, well that is just too bad. Hunting and wildlife are WAY too important to me to sit back and let people who don’t know what they are talking about have a free say without a rebuttal from someone who has lived a lifetime of both wildlife management and protecting our hunting future.

R.S. Bodenhorn   
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 20:49:11 (permalink)
Amen s10. Every single bit of that describes me as well.

Rsb, the #1 danger to the sport of hunting in Pa is the Pgc and the environnuts doing the dictating as addressed by eveland. Thats a fact. And it was proven in the latest study that showed the #1 reason for hunters not buying a license is lack of game. And why is there a lack of game?

http://pa.audubon.org/deer_report.html
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 20:51:40 (permalink)
The State Constitution clearly give everyone in the state, hunter or not, equal ownership of every deer out there. It is the State Legislature that has given the management of those deer, to the benefit of every person in the state, exclusively to the Penna. Game Commission. The day the State Legislature takes any part of the exclusive management away from the Game Commission and gives it to any other entity they have opened Panda’s box and to all manner of court interpretations about who has how much say in whether we even hunt various species

If the PGC has exclusive management why are we discussing Sunday hunting -----Why did the DCNR threaten to withhold funds from the PGC if they didn't go along with their deer plan. I call BS
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 20:58:53 (permalink)
What I am ANTI to though is listening to hunters or anyone else that refuses to learn enough about wildlife management and then thinking they know more than the professional managers simply because they have a hunting license

Are we talking about the professional managers who said QUOTE- "A lot of what we do is trial and error" or the ones who said QUOTE- "Mistakes will be made"-----Perhaps it was the one who started doe season on the last Sat of buck and killed thousands more bucks than he had intended. Ot the Bear expert who knew more about bears than the bears themselves, EXcEPT he didn't know they ate fawns Being a "professional" simply means you are getting paid for doing the job, you may or may not know much about it.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:21:34 (permalink)
Invitation to S-10 and Wayne..

If you guys never saw 50 doe in one trip in your life, let's get togethr sometinme and I'll take you for a ride spotting around here and you'll see well over 50 does... It may take an hour or two at the MAX ... but it will be easy to do...
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:24:07 (permalink)
What part of ONE DAYS HUNT don't you understand? I don't hunt with the spotlight.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:27:32 (permalink)
here's some thoughts from those opposing Rep Hanna's bill.... also I highlighted a part to pay attention to for those that think these politicians care that much about hunters... it shows where this guy's real feelings are..and it is just as RSB mentioned.. himself and his political job and re-election.. NOT HUNTERS...

Mike Hanna's Antlerless Deer Harvest Committee
Friday, November 4th, 2011

On Tuesday of this week, PA State Representative Mike Hanna, the minority whip who represents Clinton and a northern portion of Centre County, do what many legislators do who have too much time on their hands. He wrote a ridiculous memo to his fellow representatives asking them to co-sponsor a micro-managing bill that would amend the duties of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and provide for an Antlerless Deer Harvest Committee.

The line in the memo that is so goofy is this: Currently, the PGC determines antlerless deer allocations with minimal public involvement. Where has the good representative been for the past decade? Surely, he is just using that line as political rhetoric. He certainly can't really believe in such an absurd statement.

Here is just a partial list of the things the Game Commission does to garner public input into deer management, i.e., doe management:

1. A new Facebook page, twitter account, and YouTube pages relating to deer management and that accept comments
2.A human dimensions person who surveys hunters about their satisfaction with deer management
3.Past Citizens Advisory Committees on deer management
4.Deer open houses in each region
5.A revised deer management plan that solicits comments and ideas from the general public
6.Commissioners who answer emails, letters, and phone calls in their private residences regarding deer management
7.Public comment period for all who want to speak before each PGC meeting (expressly forbidden in the state legislature)
8.PGC website pages describing deer biology and management
9.A set of deer brochures that informs hunters and others on how the deer herd is managed
10.Articles in the PA Game News relating to deer management that are subject to hunter scrutiny
11.A press secretary who keeps the public informed and fields questions on the website
I'd tell Mike Hanna the same thing I told another representative from northern Pennsylvania, just because the Game Commission doesn't agree with you on every facet of deer management doesn't mean it isn't listening to you and hunters.

In order to try and get his way on doe allocations, Hanna wants to establish an Antlerless Deer Harvest Committee that would propose allocations and whatever number they decided would be binding on the PGC. The obvious question would be then why do we have deer biologists, or even a Game Commission? If they are not respected and listened to, the Game Commission just should abolish their deer biologist positions.

Hanna ends his memo by stating “it is imperative that we ensure that the PGC is serving the interests of our sportsmen . But it was Hanna himself who first led the charge to give virtually all of the Spring Creek/Rockview land, not to the Game or Fish Commission, but to Penn State University to build condos. When sportsmen are not looking, it is he who is not their friend.

It's the same old story in government. When one doesn't want to or know how to lead, the answer is always form another committee. If Hanna is incapable of leading, he needs to get out of the way so that the Game Commission and its biologists can continue to take the lead in managing not only deer and its habitat, but all the birds and mammals in Pennsylvania.

Roxane Palone

Hopefully Hanna will soon see the same reaction that Rep Surra did.... voted out by TRUE sportsmen when they finally see what they are really doing when hunters/sportsmen "are not looking"

Several years ago I had about 20 minutes, one on one with Surra, Hanna, and Staback about deer after a meeting they held in DuBois... I came away thinking these guys sure do not understand how to manage a deer herd... and even less about habitat... was not even sure all of them were REALLY hunters at all... heck they could not even half the questions I asked them about deer....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/04 22:12:57
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:33:13 (permalink)
It might mean something EXCEPT it came from a real enemy of sportsmen, the ole "lets kill them with spears" ex BOC member Palone.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:36:47 (permalink)
And you are saying what .. ?? It is impossible to kill a deer with a spear ????

SORRY but that is not true.. ask the native Americans or even some of today's atlatl users ...

BTW.. Roxanne has probably killed as many deer as half the folks here....

What about the part in red.. Did you know he did that ???

Yet he is who you want making deer decisions, or any decisions on behalf of sportmen ???
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/04 21:40:03
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 21:49:42 (permalink)
I can blow apart every sentence of that article but I am still looking for that tree that all the deer are hiding behind so it will have to wait. I'll part with this--R.Palone was one of the worse enemies of sportsmen we have had on the BOC and she is still trying to influence the herd reduction. AS for the part in red I would have to know more of the specifics---politicans can twist anything and Palone is also a politican.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 22:00:48 (permalink)
R.Palone was one of the worse enemies of sportsmen

What a joke... you could not find 100 people in the whole state that would agree with that statement... just maybe the handful of guys here that appear to share your conspiracy theories...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/04 22:01:40
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 22:10:37 (permalink)
I'd like to ask one question about a thing the PGC does for deer hunters that Ms. Palone mentioned..

Deer Open Houses...

Let's ask how many here besides me, dpms, and RSB have ever attended an open house to even see what is offered... and took a minute at the end to fill out the questionnaire that is given to anyone wanting to fill one out..

How is that NOT getting input from fellow hunters..

I know ===

most of you guys would rather sit home and type your BS rather than take an hour and go see what is offered and ACTUALLY have your opinions made note of by filling out a questionnaire

Heck you could even meet a deer biologist and state your false opinions to him and see his reactions and then he could give you some real facts.. you know first hand. not something some outdoor writer or editor wrote that you read ...
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 22:27:41 (permalink)
What a joke... you could not find 100 people in the whole state that would agree with that statement...

Wrong. There are plenty who are educated on these issues and know the score.

She is not looked upon highly by many hunters in the state. The only ones who are "indifferent" are those that are completely politically unaware and dont have any idea who she even is in the first place, and yes I believe that amounts to alot of hunters...

They simply know pgc is resonsible for the deer debacle, and dont really care who individually is to blame.

Having said that, as one who is very familiar with our situation, I would say Palone is as responsible as anyone else involved for this travesty. She might be the nicest person in the world. Dont know her personally. But her positions, poor attitude towards concerned hunters, and voting history speak for themselves. I know several of the current commissioners are of the exact same mindset. As they will continue to be as long as the board are political appointees that are handpicked for the current antideer purpose.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/11/04 22:28:38
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/04 22:39:51 (permalink)
Dont know her personally

That tells me all I have to know ... your's are all second hand opinions/info then ...

If some one votes in DIS-agreement with your opinion and you do no know them or why they voted that way how can you say they are not "friends of sportmen" ????

Sounds like you are just following the crowds that opposed the vote and agreed with your opinion and no explaination would be good enough for you to understand.. they were wrong and you are right.. period .. LOL
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/04 22:42:48
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 05:13:59 (permalink)
I don't know Heidi Prescott either. But Im fairly certain she also is no friend of sportsmen. Just call it a hunch.

Sorry, but yes, there is right and wrong whether you like it or not.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 05:15:11 (permalink)
I'd like to ask one question about a thing the PGC does for deer hunters that Ms. Palone mentioned..

Deer Open Houses...

That was in no way for "the deer hunters". It was actually part of giving them the shaft by trying to pull the wool over their eyes to sell the miserably failed program. The environmentalists did it 100% for themselves and "the agenda".
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 05:28:46 (permalink)
Palone as BOC member.

If you don't like the deer situation then go hunt squirrels.
The only BOC member to get the PGC a spot on the Comedy Show with her advocating spear chuckers to kill more deer.
As soon as she was off the BOC she started trying to undermine the new members on her blog.

The last open house I attended no one would/could answer any hard questions I had. They would only follow the script they were given. (They were nice enough) The BOC member listened, agreed with many complaints but he has failed to follow through and in fact only one of about a dozen different issues has he not done the opposite of the wishes of those who attended.

The reason they call them the PAST CAC's is because even after loading them with their own choices the CAC's said they were killing too many deer. The PGC didn't listen but instead cancelled the CAC's.

Soliciting comments from the public and promptly ignoring them is not a positive.

You talk about following the crowd but march blindly in lockstep with everything they say or do. You sure had a different attitude when it looked like you wouldn't get the crossbow.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 06:05:52 (permalink)
Hanna ends his memo by stating “it is imperative that we ensure that the PGC is serving the interests of our sportsmen . But it was Hanna himself who first led the charge to give virtually all of the Spring Creek/Rockview land, not to the Game or Fish Commission, but to Penn State University to build condos. When sportsmen are not looking, it is he who is not their friend.

It's the same old story in government. When one doesn't want to or know how to lead, the answer is always form another committee. If Hanna is incapable of leading, he needs to get out of the way so that the Game Commission and its biologists can continue to take the lead in managing not only deer and its habitat, but all the birds and mammals in Pennsylvania.

Roxane Palone

As usual there is more to the story than the tale twisters Palone and Doc want us to believe
Sounds like the Enviromentalists are quite sure they control the PGC already.

Welcome to Penn State, Spring Creek Canyon

The Spring Creek Canyon area consists of 1,800 acres currently owned by the PA Department of Corrections. Everyone seems to want a piece, and negotiations have stumbled along for the past few years. Now, a final agreement has been reached.

General

The land has been divided into over a dozen parcels. Most will be under the ownership of the College of Agricultural Sciences, the Pennsylvania Game Commission, and the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

In earlier stages of the negotiations, the College of Agricultural Sciences was to receive 1,124 acres for a myriad of research purposes. Now, the Fish and Boat Commission will claim the waterways and fish hatcheries, and the Game Commission will claim the forested areas, leaving the College with only the prime agricultural lands, about 480 acres.

For additional nuts and bolts regarding the issue, check out the Spring Creek Canyon Master Plan.

Intentions

The College earlier anticipated over double the amount of appropriated land. Now they may have to shift their research plans from forestry and agriculture to primarily agriculture. In his “Vision for the Rockview Land,” Dean Bruce McPheron explains his agricultural expectations for the land:

Areas of the property now in agricultural production would provide an excellent land base for studies on sustainable biomass production in support of a biofuels industry that is compatible with the climate and land resources of Pennsylvania…. Portions of the Rockview property would be ideal for exploring perennial grasses and other plant-based feedstocks. Despite the large tracts of land that we manage in central Pennsylvania, we do not have land that can be committed to these sorts of long-term experiments without displacing other essential research projects.

The Rockview property also offers an ideal opportunity to expand research to help Pennsylvania’s organic producers. The most recent Census of Agriculture reveals that Pennsylvania ranks fifth in the nation in the value of organic products sold. There are vast research needs in this arena – a production approach that is sought by consumers and producers alike. We have certified-organic land on our Rock Springs farm, but these 10 acres are inadequate for the extent of research that is needed, and we are planning for an additional 100 acres. Access to the Rockview property could provide an alternative location for organic research.

Well, that sounds promising, eh? Some environmentalists think differently.

Controversy

Gary Thornbloom, chairman of the Sierra Club Moshannon Group, conveys the trepidation felt by some environmentalists, the Collegian reports.

He explained, “With an institution like Penn State, you can end up getting land that looked like it would be protected in a certain way, but as its goals change is either sold or developed…. There’s just a concern with Penn State — there’s building, building, building.”

Local environmentalist Tina Robinson shared her thoughts with Onward State on behalf of Eco-Action:

Eco-Action’s official position is that this is a good compromise, but we would have liked all the land to go to the Game Commission. We will suggest the University to use this land for only sustainable agricultural research. We would like the University to step up to the challenge [of] overwriting their past reputation for land stewardship by being an amazing steward of the Spring Creek lands…. I think that students, and groups like Eco-Action, need to hold the University accountable to be good stewards by keeping a watchful eye on the situation.

Conclusions

While a rogue university is possible, we needn’t fear choking on chemical fertilizers just yet.

The University signed legal forms which limited the land usage of the Spring Creek Canyon area. The PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, along with the ClearWater Conservancy, will act as watchdogs to ensure appropriate behavior.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 20:50:20 (permalink)
Funny how S-10 posted all that and not one of the things mentioned said a thing about Rep. Hanna -- which is what we were talking about.. he (Hanna)was AGAINST the PGC or anyone BUT Penn State getting the land... that was the point I was making.. he was not thinking or acting on behalf of sportmen.... when wrong change the subject.. good one S-10...
talk about anything but Hanna's positions which is what the thread was about...

he (Hanna) lost in the end but was not supporting sportsmen at all thru the whole deal.. that was Roxanne's and my point ...

He is not hunter friendly.... He's from Philly after all ...

BTW .. too bad one of the deer biologists were not at the open house you attended.. thankfully no BOC commissioners have been at the ones I have gone to...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/05 20:52:24
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 20:58:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

BTW .. too bad one of the deer biologists were not at the open house you attended.. thankfully no BOC commissioners have been at the ones I have gone to...

They were all there when I went.  When I was at PGC headquarters testifying during a BOC meeting, they had a open house during that time.   Some pretty good stuff. 

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 21:00:26 (permalink)
not to the Game or Fish Commission, but to Penn State University to build condos.

Care to point out where Penn State was going to build Condos on the land? More BS from the two of you.

I talked at length to the biologist. Very friendly but stuck to their talking points.

Interesting to see you and Palone in bed with the Eco-nuts
post edited by S-10 - 2011/11/05 21:04:07
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: ANTLERLESS DEER LEGISLATION. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED! 2011/11/05 21:13:05 (permalink)
The last open house I attended no one would/could answer any hard questions I had.

talked at length to the biologist. Very friendly but stuck to their talking points

well which is it.... ?????

They would not or could not answer your questions..

OR they answered and it was what they always say (talking points) and you just did not like what they said ??????????

Can't be both .....

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: