WHERE ARE THE WARDENS?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
  • Reward points: 0
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 16:02:49 (permalink)
Is this a Leisenrig lift? I've read that that is a very good technique when fishing nymphs or streamers, and have used it with good success.

" if the guy is good the hook is usually somewhere around the head. seeing lead 4 ft. above the hook is seeing a setup for lifting. that little twitch or sharp upswing at the end of each drift identifies a lifter from 100 yds. away. a sportsman makes a few drifts at a fish or shadow he sees and then walks away if he doesn't get a hit. the lifter keeps drifting till he hooks the fish somewhere. "

Where? Like its mouth? Cause I've worked spots of pocket water blind that I knew were holding fish, it just took a good while to get their attention. Was that "lifting them by their mouth after they bit my lure"? 

Realy now, How do you "lift" a fish that has the hook in its mouth? That sounds like catching one to me.

You know, the more I see of this forum, the more I think some of you guys are paranoid, jealous, covetous, petty little whiners that suffer from an affliction that prevents you from having any fun.

Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 16:19:54 (permalink)
I'm dammed good at it too . Even fishing in willy wonka's chocolate factory hook was in roof of thier mouth 5 of 6 times . By the way ****rU was working the stream last friday as the resident fudge packer. 
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 16:51:25 (permalink)
Since you knew there were a large number in front of you I believe they were visible to you.In that case when you feel or see that hesitation raise your tip and look for a fish reacting to your movement,you will see its mouth move,then set the hook.That will cut down on foul hook ups,but sometimes it happens anyway,that's the way it is on a small stream packed with fish.
ORIGINAL: bill18163

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have fly fished since I was 15 years old. I started out using nymphs and mastered the way to fish a nymph after 48 years of doing it. I fish inland streams quite a bit and I use a dead drift with a tight line to detect a strike. I have never used a strike indicator and have no problem seeing the hesitation in the leader or line indicating a hit. I fish the same way for steelhead. I like to use the Blackbird shot because of the small BB's they have when needed. The other day I was fishing over a large bunch of fish and had an unusual amount of foul hooks. Maybe three or four in a row. I had two pieces of shot on that were so small you had to be careful pinching them on for fear of droping them. The first was up from the fly maybe 14" and the next one was maybe 6" up from the first. I fish a tight line and a high rod to detect a strike. When that line hesitates I strike. Many times it is a momentary bottom hit that produced the hesitation or maybe even a snag. My point is that I strike when this happens. More often than not it is a fish. But sometimes like the other day I will foul hook fish. This is frustrating and it irritates me but it happens. I am not a lifter or a snager but I have wondered sometimes if people around me might think that. How would I defend myself if I was accused of lifting or snaging? I'll tell you this, I would be hopping mad if I was accused of it.  
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 16:56:27 (permalink)
Re: foul hooking, I would say that your closest shot at 14 inches above the fly is a bit far-- 6-8 inches is better.  This alone will reduce foul hooking.  Also, when sensing the strike, instead of snapping with the hook set, consider lifting more gently.  If the line drifted across the fishes back and the hook caught a fin or flesh, the lift will likely remove the hook.  As you are lifting, if you feel a shake or tremble, there is a good chance you have had a legitimate take and you can set the hook more firmly at this point.  You will miss a few legitimate takes this way, but foul-hook a lot less.
bill18163
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 17:13:18 (permalink)
Dream Catcher,
                 I live in Erie and I am retired so I pretty much can go anytime and anywhere I want to fish. I have only fished Walnut two times. Once with a friend and we fished upper Walnut and once by myself on a lark just to see what it was like I fished lower Walnut. I parked in the lot and just walked over to the stream just above the area as you enter the parking area. I don't know what this hole is called but the fish were stacked up like cord wood in there. I found a place for myself and started fishing. It was almost elbow to elbow. You could see clearly into the water and I had a light colored Crystal Meth on. I would cast just a little upstream. You couldn't throw far because you would get tangled up with other people. I would raise the fly in the water and let the slight current carry it downstream. I could follow the fly by sight as it threaded itself between numerous fish. Sometimes the fly would get within maybe a quarter inch of a fishes mouth. I did that a few times and finally a mouth opened and you could see the white interior as the fly was sucked in without the fish even moving. Really neat how they can do that. Hooked the fish and never landed it. It tore up the hole jumping and tearing around. Tangled up a few guys. Did this a few more times and I heard some bozo up the line say something about lifting. Like I said in my previous post, how do you defend yourself in a situation like that. How many of the fishermen that day were fishing like I was? I didn't see any. Do many of them even know how to fish like that? I don't know the answer to that, I left just after that. 
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 17:25:15 (permalink)
"how do you defend yourself in a situation like"

There's no need to. Just keep fishing or move to a differant spot.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 19:00:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: PeteM

Is this a Leisenrig lift? I've read that that is a very good technique when fishing nymphs or streamers, and have used it with good success.

" if the guy is good the hook is usually somewhere around the head. seeing lead 4 ft. above the hook is seeing a setup for lifting. that little twitch or sharp upswing at the end of each drift identifies a lifter from 100 yds. away. a sportsman makes a few drifts at a fish or shadow he sees and then walks away if he doesn't get a hit. the lifter keeps drifting till he hooks the fish somewhere. "

Where? Like its mouth? Cause I've worked spots of pocket water blind that I knew were holding fish, it just took a good while to get their attention. Was that "lifting them by their mouth after they bit my lure"? 

Realy now, How do you "lift" a fish that has the hook in its mouth? That sounds like catching one to me.

You know, the more I see of this forum, the more I think some of you guys are paranoid, jealous, covetous, petty little whiners that suffer from an affliction that prevents you from having any fun.

YEAH, RIGHT,.  NEW ANGLER PETE, I THINK YOU ARE SNAGGING FISH IN THE MOUTH. KEEP IT UP THATS WHAT THE SPORT IS ALL ABOUT. I'M NOT JEALOUS OR COVETOUS, I SNAGGED 67 IN THE MOUTH THE LAST 3 DAYS. MY POST WASN'T ABOUT YOU. IT WAS ABOUT THE PEOPLE OPENLY FOUL HOOKING FISH ON PURPOSE, NOT THE MAJORITY OF GOOD FISHERMEN OUT THERE. THE GOOD FISHERMEN READING THIS DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND THEIR TECHNIQUES TO ANYONE.
THIS THREAD HAS DEGENERATED TO THE POINT THAT SOMEONE IS ACCUSING ME OF LABELING HIM A SNAGGER WHEN FISH EAT HIS BAIT.
post edited by glen - 2007/11/30 19:12:38
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 19:35:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

That's amazing. I fish the East Side 99.9 % of the time and I've seen
WCO's at least 5 times, that I was sure, suspected several others, just this fall. Saw them giving a ticket to a guy at one of the parking areas, for having four fish, even though one was his friend's. Also saw them giving tickets last spring a couple of times.

Eastside suks, duud.  ok//
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 21:59:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: T.T.

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

That's amazing. I fish the East Side 99.9 % of the time and I've seen
WCO's at least 5 times, that I was sure, suspected several others, just this fall. Saw them giving a ticket to a guy at one of the parking areas, for having four fish, even though one was his friend's. Also saw them giving tickets last spring a couple of times.

Eastside suks, duud.  ok//

I can honestly say you re right on there T.T.  I hit the westside today and landed 4 times as many fish as I do on the eastside

PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 23:21:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glen

ORIGINAL: PeteM

YEAH, RIGHT,.  NEW ANGLER PETE, I THINK YOU ARE SNAGGING FISH IN THE MOUTH. KEEP IT UP THATS WHAT THE SPORT IS ALL ABOUT. I'M NOT JEALOUS OR COVETOUS, I SNAGGED 67 IN THE MOUTH THE LAST 3 DAYS. MY POST WASN'T ABOUT YOU. IT WAS ABOUT THE PEOPLE OPENLY FOUL HOOKING FISH ON PURPOSE, NOT THE MAJORITY OF GOOD FISHERMEN OUT THERE. THE GOOD FISHERMEN READING THIS DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND THEIR TECHNIQUES TO ANYONE.
THIS THREAD HAS DEGENERATED TO THE POINT THAT SOMEONE IS ACCUSING ME OF LABELING HIM A SNAGGER WHEN FISH EAT HIS BAIT.

How does being a new angler have any bearing on the validity of my statement?

The techniques that you describe as being snag fishing are in fact recomended techniques. The quick exit is also a good technique when fishing streamers in fast water. You pull out from the bottom of the drift, high and fast, then cast across/up stream for another drift. So by your own description, I would be snagging fish and you could identify that from 100 yards away.

You have no valid complaint. What you mis-identified as a snagging technique realy is not. If you have identified people doing this as snaggers without being close enough to identify where the fish is actualy hooked, it's no surprise that you are disturbed. That is more than likely a chronic state regardles of how anybody fishes.

Also, try to keep in mind- "new to fly fishing" does not equal "Just fell outa my momma.". That seems to be the thing to do around here when you would like to miminize the signifigance of a statement. It is a sign of weakness and lack of ability to reason.

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 23:39:33 (permalink)
"AS FAR AS "BEADING", IF THE OBJECT IS TO HOOK THE FISH UNDER THE JAW, GIMME A BREAK, IT'S ILLEGAL, IT'S SNAGGING. ANYONE WHO IS TRYING TO HOOK A FISH WITHOUT THE FISH EATING THE FLY OR BAIT IS SNAGGING"

Actually, when "beading" the intent IS to have the fish "eat" your bait, but not your hook.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 01:03:18 (permalink)
Just a suggestion - try placing splitshot closer to your fly, and only use
one. I rarely put shot past 8" from fly, and will only use 2 if I need to use a lot of weight, like in very fast flow. I also don't use an indicator, but
I can usually tell when a fish is being bumped as opposed to a take.
Hard to explain, but they just feel different.  And when I do get the rare
foul hook, I usually point the rod at the fish and pull. That way you'll never be accused of trying to snag. The fly will either pull out or break off. No one will accuse you of trying to snag if you don't fight the fish.
NorthCoast
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 01:36:19 (permalink)
In response to the title of this thread...

There are more PFBC officers patroling Eries waterways now then ever before........END OF STORY
Sloppie1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 08:51:58 (permalink)
? I caught alot of fish the last 2 days and actually kept 2 for a friend and my fishing partner kept three. Now when I cleaned are 5 fish can anyone tell me what I found in there stomaches. NOT A THING CLEAN NOTHING NOTA ZILCH!!!!! So that being said maybe all the fish we kept were lifted but I'm guessing this happens alot more than people even think Because the fish are not eating it's either a respone action or defending their reed at this point IMO. Im guess 2 of the fish I caught were "lifted" because my fly (#16 GSP) was in the outside of the fishes mouth. Thats it can someone post those phone #s again I need to come clean to the WCO's lets all buck up and pay our fine's.

2nd ? Glen or anyone else why does this Awalays get directed at flyfishermen personaly I would think this would be even easier for any of the guys throwing nothing but Mono with a long leader maybe or even the pinners. Im usualy tossing something in the 14 16 18 fly size and using 4x 5x tippet seem that would be alot harder 2 me anyhow.

And last Glen u said u saw a guy walk into a hole over fish with lockjaw hmmmm. I fished alot of water the last 2 days and caught alot of fish in holes guys around me had not. Shared a drift with four of us in a hole I landed 6 the other 3 managed 5 combined even gave them all a couple of the flies. Same flies as my buds but I caught more fish. I was down to 5X tippet and sive 16 and for a while 18 GSP and some micro eggs. 2 of them said they were not comfortable going that small on tippet. So what it sounds like to me is basicaly your saying the fish wouldn't bite for you so since your the best they can't bite for me you show me fish I will trick at least 1 into eating on most days!! Lockjaw or no.

sorry about the spelling
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 09:45:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Sloppie1

? I caught alot of fish the last 2 days and actually kept 2 for a friend and my fishing partner kept three. Now when I cleaned are 5 fish can anyone tell me what I found in there stomaches. NOT A THING CLEAN NOTHING NOTA ZILCH!!!!! So that being said maybe all the fish we kept were lifted but I'm guessing this happens alot more than people even think Because the fish are not eating it's either a respone action or defending their reed at this point IMO. Im guess 2 of the fish I caught were "lifted" because my fly (#16 GSP) was in the outside of the fishes mouth. Thats it can someone post those phone #s again I need to come clean to the WCO's lets all buck up and pay our fine's.

2nd ? Glen or anyone else why does this Awalays get directed at flyfishermen personaly I would think this would be even easier for any of the guys throwing nothing but Mono with a long leader maybe or even the pinners. Im usualy tossing something in the 14 16 18 fly size and using 4x 5x tippet seem that would be alot harder 2 me anyhow.

And last Glen u said u saw a guy walk into a hole over fish with lockjaw hmmmm. I fished alot of water the last 2 days and caught alot of fish in holes guys around me had not. Shared a drift with four of us in a hole I landed 6 the other 3 managed 5 combined even gave them all a couple of the flies. Same flies as my buds but I caught more fish. I was down to 5X tippet and sive 16 and for a while 18 GSP and some micro eggs. 2 of them said they were not comfortable going that small on tippet. So what it sounds like to me is basicaly your saying the fish wouldn't bite for you so since your the best they can't bite for me you show me fish I will trick at least 1 into eating on most days!! Lockjaw or no.

sorry about the spelling

WHY ARE SO MANY OF YOU GUYS TAKING MY POST SO PERSONALLY? AS FAR AS FISH WITH LOCKJAW, EVERYONE KNOWS THEY TURN ON AND OFF. DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH, I WAS NOT SAYING THE FISH WOULD NOT BITE FOR ME."" WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU" DOESN'T INTEREST ME AT ALL.AS FAR AS THE 2 FISH YOU CAUGHT THAT HAD THE FLY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE MOUTH, I WOULD SAY YOU ACCIDENTLY FOUL HOOKED THEM. I HOPE YOU LET THEM GO, CLOSE DOESN'T COUNT. IF YOU KEPT THEM BE GLAD YOU DIDN'T GET CAUGHT.
BY THE WAY, YOUR OBSERVATIONS ABOUT FEEDING HABITS ARE VERY INTERESTING. YOU SHOULD POST A NEW THREAD AND LEARN SOMETHING.
FOR THE FINAL TIME: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT LEADERS, TINY FLIES, TECHNIQUE, NYMPHING, SWINGING STREAMERS,AMOUNT OF WEIGHT, EVERY EXPERIENCED FLY FISHERMAN KNOWS HOW TO MIMINIZE BAD HOOKUPS AND HAS A SENSE OF WHAT A TAKE FEELS LIKE. I'M NOT SINGLING OUT FLY FISHERMEN. WHEN I FLYFISH I ENJOY IT A LOT. I AM TALKING ABOUT OUTRIGHT SNAGGING THAT WOULD BE VISIBLE TO STEVIE WONDER.  OK?    I'M OUTTA HERE
post edited by glen - 2007/12/01 10:01:37
Sloppie1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 10:12:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glen

lifting is snagging. it is the classic form of snagging and usually the hook is not in the fish's mouth. if the guy is good the hook is usually somewhere around the head. seeing lead 4 ft. above the hook is seeing a setup for lifting. that little twitch or sharp upswing at the end of each drift identifies a lifter from 100 yds. away. a sportsman makes a few drifts at a fish or shadow he sees and then walks away if he doesn't get a hit. the lifter keeps drifting till he hooks the fish somewhere.
yesterday, there was a spooked pod of fish with lockjaw below the bridge at 20 mile, i watched a guy with a flyrod walk out and foulhook 6 fish with 6 drifts. this is a common sight these days. he even got out his flybox and studied which fly to use next. in n.y. he was eligible for a ticket whether he kept a fish or not. i don't know what the law is in pa.
i drove over to 16 mile to eat lunch and watched a fly guy fishing in the pothole below the falls. he was looking at fish in the shallow gin clear water. in half an hour i saw him foul hook 5 fish

# 1 if your make a few drift's at a fish and walk away I will usualy change flie's a few times move weight change tippet then move on?

#2 may have been mistakin 100 yards and watched a guy snag fish on 6 strait casts can make someone wonder what you saw. If you were right their to witness pull out your cell phone and call if you don't have a # 411

#3 If you were so possative these people were breaking the law you are no better than them for not calling or saying somthing if I had witnessed this I would have at the least made a Call and I understand not wanting to get into a confruntaion but call sit back watch and enjoy.

#4 I kept the first two fish I've kept in Erie in 7 years and you can sleep with ease tonight they were indeed hooked in the mouth. 
*commander*
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 13:34:01 (permalink)
1. please stop YELLING

2. call "THE MAN"

or

3. say something to the people when you see it happening. if you feel strong enough about the situation that you can post it, you should have no problem saying something to the people that are doing it.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 16:38:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nEwBeeFLygUY

ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Again, you can pick these cards up at the WCO office at Walnut. I suggest putting on in your Licenses Holder...........

Correct me if i am wrong, but the bottom card  S.O.N.S.  really wouldn't apply to this situation.... Steelhead our not native...... (just being a prick)   But at the same time i support their mission... TURN THOSE SOB'S IN!!!!

The SONS along with the PSA Put in money for these cards to be available to you the fishing public.
Please use them.
I personally would rather see the WCO's intervene than for Me. Put the numbers in your Cell. Most areas have cell coverage. If you can take a picture,  take a picture, and give it to the Officer. I even get their License Plate number photo too. It is very hard to discredit a picture. That would help out the WCO's when they go to court.
Chris
post edited by chrisrowboat - 2007/12/01 16:39:28
walcat01
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 18:48:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: *commander*

1. please stop YELLING

2. call "THE MAN"

or

3. say something to the people when you see it happening. if you feel strong enough about the situation that you can post it, you should have no problem saying something to the people that are doing it.

Shut the hell up!!!!
cp13
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/01 19:07:56 (permalink)
boy this is escalating quickly
*commander*
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/02 12:01:37 (permalink)
, i say , youre losin it. you gotta relax
walcat01
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 391
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/02 15:25:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: *commander*

, i say , youre losin it. you gotta relax

SOS =same ol s**t........
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/12/02 15:27:41 (permalink)
I think SOS in your case = Sorry Old Sh!^head

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: