Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/29 16:30:53 (permalink)

WHERE ARE THE WARDENS?

TUESDAY, WENSDAY, TODAY HAD GREAT FISHING ON ERIE TRIBS, FISH AFTER FISH. BUT I ALSO SAW NUMEROUS PEOPLE "LIFTING " FISH. I SAW AT  LEAST 15 FISH FOUL HOOKED INTENTIONLY ON 3 DIFFERENT CREEKS AND I WASN'T WATCHING THAT MUCH. IF I WAS A WARDEN I COULD HAVE WRITTEN TICKETS ALL DAY LONG EACH DAY. THESE GUYS WEREN'T RUSSIANS, THEY HAD 400.00 WADERS, 300.00 JACKETS, 200.00 VESTS, AND FLY RODS. THESE PEOPLE GIVE FLY FISHING A BAD NAME, IF YOU CAN CALL IT FLY FISHING, MOST OF THEM WERE FLIPPING OUT 8 FEET OF LINE AT FISH THEY WERE LOOKING AT.

52 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 16:44:50 (permalink)
    Be part of the solution

Contact Information

Waterways Conservation Officer Brook R. Tolbert
    Western Erie County
    PO Box 162
    Fairview, PA 16415
    Phone: (814)-566-7869
    Email:
    WCO14@msn.com

and

Deputy Waterways Conservation Officer Randy Leighton
    Western Erie County
    Email:
    rglerie@msn.com

and

Waterways Conservation Officer Ed Stuart
    Central Erie County
    PO Box 9692
    Erie, PA 16505
    Phone: (814)-572-0066

and

Waterways Conservation Officer James M. Smolko
    Eastern Erie & Western Warren Counties
    PO Box 1026
    Waterford, PA 16441
    Phone: 814-572-0078
    Email:
    Rangerg13@aol.com

and

PA Fish and Boat Commission, Bureau of Law Enforcement, Northwest Region Office
    Phone: (814) 337-0444

and

Walnut Creek Marina
    Phone: (814) 833-2464

glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 17:05:35 (permalink)
    YEAH, I HEAR YOU. BUT, THESE GUYS RELEASE THE FISH AFTER GETTING THEIR JOLLIES PLAYING THEM. IN N.Y. YOU CAN GET ARRESTED FOR FISHING IN A MANNER SO AS TO FOUL HOOK FISH. MEANING YOU CAN GET A TICKET FOR LIFTING WHETHER YOU ROPE THE FISH OR NOT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LAW IS IN PA.    GLEN
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 20:57:45 (permalink)
    I have seen a WCO once in all my trips to Erie and that was at the project waters.... I'm not complaining, but you think they would be walking the streams.

Skip is right though we need to police ourselves and be part of the solution.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/11/29 20:58:12

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 21:28:49 (permalink)
    i've seen the wco's wait until the guys are back to their vehicles before arresting them. wco's do walk the creek, i've seen them in action. when there are a group doing something wrong they'll call for back up, again, once the party is back at the vehicles..

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 22:30:10 (permalink)
    Gotta be careful with your terminology.  (Not defending the practice but..) Lifting is usually refered to letting you line drift near the fish's mouth and then setting the hook, and it usually will end up in the fish's mouth a high percentage of the time.  If the fly is in the fish's mouth then techincally it is NOT snagging. There is a difference between lifting and snagging.  Alot of times this happens unintentionally in areas that hold alot of fish in a relatively confined area, like the chutes on Walnut for example.  As long as the guys were releasing the fish then I don't think it warrants a call to the WCO. 

P.S.  Was in reply to Glen, not doubletaper
    post edited by Livinfishin - 2007/11/30 09:01:37
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/29 22:32:22 (permalink)
    As far as the WCO's go, belive me, they are there.  Remember there are alot of miles of water to cover in Erie county, so they can't obviously be everywhere at once, and are not always in a position to respond to every call right away.  They do the best job they can with what they have.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 02:26:11 (permalink)
    That's amazing. I fish the East Side 99.9 % of the time and I've seen
    WCO's at least 5 times, that I was sure, suspected several others, just this fall. Saw them giving a ticket to a guy at one of the parking areas, for having four fish, even though one was his friend's. Also saw them giving tickets last spring a couple of times.

post edited by FiveMilePete - 2007/11/30 02:32:16
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 05:04:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

I have seen a WCO once in all my trips to Erie and that was at the project waters.... I'm not complaining, but you think they would be walking the streams.

I'll bet you've seen them many other times, you just didn't know it. Although a greater percentage of "visible" presence might nip alot in the bud BEFORE a violation occurs. I still think they do a great job, given the task.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 06:47:52 (permalink)
    alot of times you dont see them, but they see you. i fish some of the smaller tribs and have been crept up on. Ive had my liscense checked 4 times this year by the same officer.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 06:54:56 (permalink)
    Again, you can pick these cards up at the WCO office at Walnut. I suggest putting on in your Licenses Holder...........

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 08:58:28 (permalink)
    lifting is snagging. it is the classic form of snagging and usually the hook is not in the fish's mouth. if the guy is good the hook is usually somewhere around the head. seeing lead 4 ft. above the hook is seeing a setup for lifting. that little twitch or sharp upswing at the end of each drift identifies a lifter from 100 yds. away. a sportsman makes a few drifts at a fish or shadow he sees and then walks away if he doesn't get a hit. the lifter keeps drifting till he hooks the fish somewhere.
    yesterday, there was a spooked pod of fish with lockjaw below the bridge at 20 mile, i watched a guy with a flyrod walk out and foulhook 6 fish with 6 drifts. this is a common sight these days. he even got out his flybox and studied which fly to use next. in n.y. he was eligible for a ticket whether he kept a fish or not. i don't know what the law is in pa.
    i drove over to 16 mile to eat lunch and watched a fly guy fishing in the pothole below the falls. he was looking at fish in the shallow gin clear water. in half an hour i saw him foul hook 5 fish
    post edited by glen - 2007/11/30 09:16:07
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 09:07:00 (permalink)
    IF the fish were hooked in the mouth, then he was NOT eligible for a violation.  Even if they were not, as long as the fish were released UNHARMED, then I highly doubt a ticket would have been given in this case.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 09:14:28 (permalink)
      To say any one that fishes a pod of fish more than a drift or two is a liner is bull....
      If a fish is hooked in the mouth I don't see how they can write you a ticket. No I am NOT defending the practice. Seems alot of people get called liners. If this practice of snagging is that rampant then why aren't they issuing citations continuously..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 09:19:56 (permalink)
    Trust me, I've been steelhead fishing for a long time, and VERY RARELY will they actully issue a citation for "lining" as it is defined, or even for foulhooking a few fish when they are stacked thick in the creek.  As long as the hook is in the mouth, you are legal, and as long as the fish is released unharmed if it is snagged then you will not get fined.
    glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 09:27:45 (permalink)
    here's the law in n.y.    "Snatching and attempting to snatch is prohibited"     what's the law in pa.? if attempting to snatch isn't illeagle, it should be. that would slow these a---holes down. don't try to tell me it would be a judgement call by the warden and his word against the snaggers in court. who is the judge gonna believe? the officer of course. and it's not a judgement call, anyone who's been around can look at 20 guys fishing and identify easily the ones who are trying to snag. it's as easy as picking out the black sheep in a flock of white ones.
    i'm not talking about repeated drifts over a pod of fish, i'm talking about drifting, lifting, and foul hooking a fish on every cast.
    post edited by glen - 2007/11/30 09:31:59
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 09:33:02 (permalink)
    P.A. fishing summery laws state " unlawful to take or ATTEMPT to take fish, OR keep fish accidentally caught, by snatch-fishing, foul hooking, or snag fishing." i would say TAKE means to hook or catch, not neccesarily to keeping. this is where i would like the legal response to beading, this was a thread earlier, from what i read about beading the intention is to hook the fish outside the mouth intentional. i am not condemming those who do it i just want to know if it's actual legal or not. wouldn't want newbees beading and then they get fined when a wco watches them lift the rod when the bead drifts in front of the fishes mouth to hook the fish underneath the jaw. it's seams a lot of guys do this just wanting to know if it's legal...

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 10:12:03 (permalink)
     IF THE P.A. LAW SAYS "ATTEMPT TO TAKE FISH BY SNAGGING" THEN I'TS THE SAME AS N.Y.  A TICKET COULD BE GIVEN WHETHER YOU RELEASE THE FISH OR NOT. IT'S ABSURD TO THINK YOU WOULD GET A TICKET FOR THE OCCASIONAL FOUL HOOKED FISH. BUT, IF YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY LIFTING AND SNAGGING FISH AFTER FISH, YOU DESERVE TO BE ARRESTED.
    AS FAR AS "BEADING", IF THE OBJECT IS TO HOOK THE FISH UNDER THE JAW, GIMME A BREAK, IT'S ILLEGAL, IT'S SNAGGING. ANYONE WHO IS TRYING TO HOOK A FISH WITHOUT THE FISH EATING THE FLY OR BAIT IS SNAGGING AND SHOULD LEARN HOW TO CATCH FISH LEGALLY. IT'S NOT HARD TO DO, SOME PEOPLE MIGHT SAY STEELHEAD ARE THE DUMBEST FISH THAT SWIM.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 11:10:36 (permalink)
    I've been fishing NY for many years and even though there is a law with that wording in the books it has not put a dent in the practice of "snagging/lifting".Why is this we ask?Well first the fine in NY is n't high enough and appears to be at the descreation of the court,I hear anything from $25 to $100.The lower figure is a joke to many and they go right back out and snag again,the higher figure does make most think about doing something else for kicks.Another problem is that there is alot for the DEC to look after and not many to do it all,so they are spread thin and can't be everywhere at once.
    The only way to put a end to it is make those that insist on "snagging/lifting" pay through the nose.$500 fines for first offense,$1000 after that and no license to fish for five years,that will get their attention.Along with that the State of NY should educate the public that fish will hit when fished for but there are times that they won't,that's why it's called fishing and not catching!
    In Erie what you see is nothing compared to NY,most people are fishing legit for the trout but because of the huge numbers of fish some are foul hooked,it happens.However,you're right there are those that are intentionally lining/lifting,but it's tough to catch them because they usually release them.However,I know for a fact that the fish cops are out there,the guy next to you may look like a another nimrod but if you rope that foul hooked fish it could cost you more than the fish market.BEWARE!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 11:39:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I'll bet you've seen them many other times, you just didn't know it. Although a greater percentage of "visible" presence might nip alot in the bud BEFORE a violation occurs. I still think they do a great job, given the task.

There is no doubt they do a good job, i just meant that I haven't seen them much,(which is a good thing I guess) but then again I'm pretty focused on my drift when I'm fishing....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 12:03:50 (permalink)
    AMEN TO THAT PATFISHER, RAISE THE FINES.     AS FAR AS N.Y. HAVING MORE SNAGGERS, IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT PLACES LIKE OAK ORCHARD OR BURT DAM I AGREE WITH YOU, BUT THE NUMBERS ARE PROBABLY THE SAME ON THE N.Y. ERIE STREAMS AS THE PA. STREAMS, WHICH ISN'T A REFLECTION ON N.Y. OR PA. FISHERMAN BECAUSE EVERY OTHER CAR IS FROM OUT OF STATE.

post edited by glen - 2007/11/30 12:09:47
    nEwBeeFLygUY
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 12:23:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Again, you can pick these cards up at the WCO office at Walnut. I suggest putting on in your Licenses Holder...........

Correct me if i am wrong, but the bottom card  S.O.N.S.  really wouldn't apply to this situation.... Steelhead our not native...... (just being a prick)   But at the same time i support their mission... TURN THOSE SOB'S IN!!!!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 12:40:17 (permalink)
    money doesn't hurt as much to some people, you take away their fishing lisc. or suggest that they'll lose it for knowingly breaking the law, now you'll have people straightning up!!! and they might read the rules...

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

glen
    Expert Angler
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 12:51:38 (permalink)
    WHERE ARE MY NUTS? I HAVE SAID PLENTY TO PEOPLE OVER THE YEARS AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED EXCEPT THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET IN A FIGHT. IF SOMEONE COMES IN NEXT TO ME AND STARTS LIFTING I AM SURE TO SAY SOMETHING EVEN THOUGH I LEARNED IT WASN'T SUCH A GOOD IDEA WHEN I GOT TANGLED UP WITH SOME RUSSIANS ONE TIME AND ANOTHER TIME WHEN ANOTHER GUY IMPLIED HE HAD A GUN UNDER HIS VEST. I CAN SAY SOMETHING BUT I CAN'T ARREST ANYONE. MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? I REALISE THEY ARE SPREAD THIN BUT ONE COULD STOP AT 20 MILE FOR AN HOUR AND PROBABLY WRITE 10 TICKETS JUST LOOKING DOWN FROM THE BRIDGE ON SOME DAYS.     YOU REALLY THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO START AN ARGUMENT WITH A STRANGER WHO IS ALREADY BREAKING THE LAW? TO ME THAT SEEMS LIKE A GOOD WAY TO SPOIL YOUR DAY OF FISHING.
    MEANWHILE, I ALREADY DISTINGUISHED BETWEEN REPEATED DRIFTS AT FISH AND INTENTIONALLY LIFTING FISH ,AND ,I DIDN'T IMPLY THAT FLY FISHING WAS SNAGGING. I FLY FISH TOO WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT.
    THE PEOPLE I WATCHED WERE SNAGGING FISH FOR FUN AND LETTING THEM GO. IF THEY KEPT FISH I WOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THEM TO THE PARKING LOT AND GOT THEIR PLATE AND CALLED THE NUMBER AND OFFERED TO BE A WITNESS. I'LL PROBABLY NOT GET INTO ANYONES FACE AT THE STREAM.
    post edited by glen - 2007/11/30 13:02:56
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 12:55:57 (permalink)
    Dude first off take off your cap lock....  Looks like you are screaming all the time........

Just do like I do when you see this happening..  I've done it many times

Put the WCO Cel numbers in your cel phone..  Call them the instant you see this happening...  Sometimes it might take a while to get there but not one time I called did they fail to show up... 

BTW  I can almost guarantee you have fished alongside either a WCO or DWCO on 20 mile.....

bill18163
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 13:04:34 (permalink)
    Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have fly fished since I was 15 years old. I started out using nymphs and mastered the way to fish a nymph after 48 years of doing it. I fish inland streams quite a bit and I use a dead drift with a tight line to detect a strike. I have never used a strike indicator and have no problem seeing the hesitation in the leader or line indicating a hit. I fish the same way for steelhead. I like to use the Blackbird shot because of the small BB's they have when needed. The other day I was fishing over a large bunch of fish and had an unusual amount of foul hooks. Maybe three or four in a row. I had two pieces of shot on that were so small you had to be careful pinching them on for fear of droping them. The first was up from the fly maybe 14" and the next one was maybe 6" up from the first. I fish a tight line and a high rod to detect a strike. When that line hesitates I strike. Many times it is a momentary bottom hit that produced the hesitation or maybe even a snag. My point is that I strike when this happens. More often than not it is a fish. But sometimes like the other day I will foul hook fish. This is frustrating and it irritates me but it happens. I am not a lifter or a snager but I have wondered sometimes if people around me might think that. How would I defend myself if I was accused of lifting or snaging? I'll tell you this, I would be hopping mad if I was accused of it.  
    scudbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 13:06:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

There is no doubt they do a good job, i just meant that I haven't seen them much,(which is a good thing I guess) but then again I'm pretty focused on my drift when I'm fishing....

Tippy it might have to do with the fact that you have only been fishing up there for a little over 2 years.  .   They are there. 
    nEwBeeFLygUY
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 13:08:26 (permalink)
    Break your line rather than fighting the fish!!!!  the fly or hook will most likely eventually remove itself from the fish...
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 15:27:34 (permalink)
    Yea ... Be prepared for that . I hooked 5 fish legit using estaz eggs & a sucker spawn on a dropper . It just so happened the one fish that was accidentially foul hooked last friday decided to swim in front of these two purists fisherman ( when walnut was like chocolate milk ) some guy tried to tell me I snagged all 6 fish on purpose. Keep your cool man it's not worth it some of these guys would shoot us over thier " observations" over a fish that is being released. Some just get jealous that you're pulling in a fish the majority of your time in "thier" hole if you know what I mean.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: WHERE ARE THE WARDENS? 2007/11/30 15:49:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nEwBeeFLygUY

ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Correct me if i am wrong, but the bottom card  S.O.N.S.  really wouldn't apply to this situation.... Steelhead our not native...... (just being a prick)   But at the same time i support their mission... TURN THOSE SOB'S IN!!!!

That is the front and back of the card.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: