• Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/29 07:57:40 (permalink)

For the sunday hunting lovers/haters

All Pa. farmers don't oppose Sunday hunting
Story
Comments (37)
ShareShare
Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

Jeff Mulhollem

Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 8:53 am

By Jeff Mulhollem | 37 comments

If you have been closely following the debate over expanded Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania, you may think that all the farmers in Pennsylvania oppose lifting the ban.

The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, which claims to represent 50,000 farm and rural families across the state, is staunchly opposed to any expansion of Sunday hunting here.

According to the Farm Bureau, the overwhelming majority of Keystone State farmers oppose allowing more Sunday hunting. But increasingly we have been hearing from farmers across the state who are quietly saying that is not true.

"Why should the state tell me what I can do on my own land on any given day of the week," said one agricultural producer. "It's my land, and I should control it. I don't need the state to forbid hunting on Sunday on my property. I can handle that myself, if that is my choice.

"As a member of the Farm Bureau, I will not hesitate to tell you that the group is not representing my best interest as a landowner," he added. "I could not be more opposed to the Farm Bureau."

I asked a successful, hard-working and honest farmer I know what he thinks about the situation, and his opinions are revealing. Zeke Summerhill, of Ford City, owns six farms in southern Armstrong County, in three different townships.

On a total of about 480 acres he primarily grows the cash crops corn and soybeans, and also operates a hardwood lumber company fed by the woodlands around his fields. When he finds time (which is not too often these days), he is a serious and skilled hunter and fisherman. And he is a former Farm Bureau board member in Armstrong County.

"The Farm Bureau certainly doesn't speak for me," he said. "When the group's spokesman says 85 percent of farmers are against Sunday hunting, I take issue with their statistics. I don't know any farmers in my county who have been interviewed – and I know quite a few."

Summerhill thinks the threat the Farm Bureau has been promoting – that most farmers who allow public hunting now will post their land against all hunting if Sunday hunting is expanded – is an exaggerated scare tactic.

"I personally don't know a single farmer who will post their land against all hunting," he said. "Now there may be a few who won't allow Sunday hunting."

Summerhill's biggest problem is trespassing and he thinks the state should extend an olive branch to farmers by tying increased enforcement of trespassing laws to allowing expanded Sunday hunting, to get the ban lifted. "The Game Commission should start enforcing trespassing laws," he said.

"In Ohio, hunters must possess a form signed by the landowner to hunt on private property. If the hunter can't produce the signed form, he is charged with trespassing. Ohio Department of Natural Resources officers help enforce trespassing. We should go to that system here."

In past columns I have observed that the Sunday hunting issue has become entangled in the deer-management debate, undermining support for Sunday hunting among sportsmen. Summerhill sees it that way, too, but his take on that may surprise you.

"My land is overrun by deer," he said. "I lost more than $17,000 in crop depredation last year, and I look at Sunday hunting as one more tool to manage deer. We need it."

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

95 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 08:11:07 (permalink)
    Not all farmers oppose Sunday hunting and not all hunters favor Sunday hunting. That's what makes it such an interesting topic.

#1 reason for hunters leaving the sport per the PGC = LACK OF GAME
    #2 reason for hunters leaving the sport per the PGC = LACK OF PLACES TO HUNT

Many landowners (not just farmers) oppose Sunday hunting and say they will post their land
    Allowing an additional day to hunt will put additional pressure on a already depleated game resource

Given the above facts will someone please tell me how allowing Sunday hunting will do anything but make the situation worse.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 08:15:39 (permalink)
    Great article Kype. 

Really agree here where he said the biggest issue is trespassing.  What this all comes down to, IMHO, is protecting property owners and supporting their wishes for what they will and won't allow on Sundays.

I mentioned this in a previous thread on Sunday hunting, and it got largely ignored.  But I would be all for requiring written permission.  Wouldn't hamper me a bit.  I've hunted in NC and KY where it is required, and trespassing problems on the properties I hunted were extremely rare. I usually call landowners prior to hunting on their property anyway, just to let them know I'll be around, before almost every hunt. 

Love to see PA develop a system where WCO's can actually cite for just trespassing while hunting, and not just game code violations.  

Combine these two, and landowners in PA become far more empowered and protected in the Sunday hunting debate. 

FWIW, I hunt 4 or 5 different farms and not a single landowner has said they would close their property to hunting if Sunday hunting happens. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 08:25:10 (permalink)
    I hunt Ohio every year and the landowners there are divided on the DNR enforcement and the landowner permits. It seems many don't want the DNR involved and several have given me verbal permission but won't sign a written permission slip. Never got one to tell me why they feel that way and I thought it best not to push the issue since they said I could hunt there.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 11:31:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsquared

Great article Kype. 

Really agree here where he said the biggest issue is trespassing.  What this all comes down to, IMHO, is protecting property owners and supporting their wishes for what they will and won't allow on Sundays.

I mentioned this in a previous thread on Sunday hunting, and it got largely ignored.  But I would be all for requiring written permission.  Wouldn't hamper me a bit.  I've hunted in NC and KY where it is required, and trespassing problems on the properties I hunted were extremely rare. I usually call landowners prior to hunting on their property anyway, just to let them know I'll be around, before almost every hunt. 

Love to see PA develop a system where WCO's can actually cite for just trespassing while hunting, and not just game code violations.  

Combine these two, and landowners in PA become far more empowered and protected in the Sunday hunting debate. 

FWIW, I hunt 4 or 5 different farms and not a single landowner has said they would close their property to hunting if Sunday hunting happens. 

I completely agree with you!  Both ideas would certainly facilitate the enforcement of trespassing issues.  I have heard some LOs state that the reason they don't fully support SH is because they feel like it will just lead to another day of trespassing and vandalism on their property.  If these two concepts were implemented as laws, I tend to believe that SH would gain a little more support.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 11:57:33 (permalink)
    As far as the lack of places to hunt, I feel that it can be attributed more so to a shift in the hunting culture and society in general.  LO liability has also shot up in recent years due to the sue happy idiots of America, which certainly hasn't helped.  I really don't think implementing SH would result in land being "posted" at a faster rate than it already is currently.  IMO what would slow it down some is giving LOs more control and enforcement options on their property.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 12:37:04 (permalink)
        Experience with the LandownerWritten Permission thing--

First and foreost- lotsa folks say NO  I wont sign anything but just go hunt anyhow. Hey- its Your liscence, gun and car----
      We have the written permission thing here in Ct - have for many years. Must be on a specific form the State puts in the hunting book and you can use photocopies.
         Kind of a two edged sword. Some guys hunt 40 acres with 5 other guys and some get 800 all alone- real dice roll- Depends on the landowner.
        Some refuse to sign anything cause of the aforementioned liability stuff and ya gotta wonder what they might say to L/E if asked when you are caught on their property even with just the verbal - point is without the written your a violator.
       Even though we have specific laws protecting landowners who give permission from liability nobody cares- insurance issues and fear of lawsuits are the biggest excuses used when folks say NO- true or false thats usually the reason given. They tire of being bothered all the time too.
       Anti relatives and neighbors become BIG issues too. Have lost permission on places where the anti neighbors harass the heck out of the owners bout Hunters. Callin cops all the time and callin on the phone whenever there is a shot cause they might get killed etc etc. Landowners find it easier to ' just say no'.
         Call it 'the begging sesaon' - it begins before each Hunting season - bout the time of year when we all go out beggin folks to let us hunt their property and ask them to sign the annual permission slip. Some do  some dont but then - its their land not ours.
    Always thought some kinda of tax abatement should be involved to prompt them to let us shoot the States game on their land cause basically there is NO upside for them other than us being around shooting stuff.. Dont hold your breath on that one.
       All in all the system works for area  residents- others will be pretty much forced onto State lands as will folks from out of the area- unless they know somebody.
        Any of you guys who live far from where ya hunt plan on a bunch of 'Beggin Season' trips. Used to make a cupla trips a year over to NY to get permission for Turkey Season - even thought wasnt required- like I said in that 'other' post thats just my way anyhow.
       One thing is for sure- this leads to more and more  Lease deals where only a few get to hunt- this can be cash or labor but a lease is a lease- restrictions will happen on places that have been hunted in the past. Have heard- No weekends- Not when we are out haying - all of which can pretty much shut down the season for some.
         Guys with little vacation time to hunt arent able to take vacation time to travel and help bring in the Hay will have issues-specially when its so weather related and ya would have to go kinda last minute. When I first retired helped build a barn for 3 weeks every day- had I not been retired- no hunting.
    Things will change better for some and worse for a lot of others. I had 2,700 acres to hunt here in Ct for years - most to myself- now I have 167. Housing projects- shopping malls- death in family and property transfers etc etc-
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/29 13:03:02
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 13:44:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Not all farmers oppose Sunday hunting and not all hunters favor Sunday hunting. That's what makes it such an interesting topic.

#1 reason for hunters leaving the sport per the PGC = LACK OF GAME
    #2 reason for hunters leaving the sport per the PGC = LACK OF PLACES TO HUNT

Many landowners (not just farmers) oppose Sunday hunting and say they will post their land
    Allowing an additional day to hunt will put additional pressure on a already depleated game resource

Given the above facts will someone please tell me how allowing Sunday hunting will do anything but make the situation worse.

Is # 2 Lack of places to hunt or lack of access?

Here is why I pose that question.  Access can be defined in two ways -- access as in a "place" to hunt or access in the "ability" to hunt, as in when hunting is accessable to the hunter.  If access is defined as a "place" to hunt, # 2 holds water in this discussion.  However, if # 2 is defined as the "ability" to hunt, then Sunday hunting would actually increase access by adding more possible accessable days.

As for the lack of game issues, how about a little reality break down. 

Squirrels -- Does anyone really think that adding Sundays will have that negative of an impact on the state's squirrel population?  Does anyone really think that being able to hunt squirels 24/7/365 would have that negative impact on the state's squirrel population?  Does anyone really care if it did?  In this case, lack of game is a non-argument.

Pheasants -- Except in very rare instances, pheasant hunting in PA is a put-and-take affair.  What the hunters don't harvest (kill, whatever), the predators do.  No holdovers are expected.  It is what it is.  In addition, with the PGC not replacing the flood lost pheasants and no hunter group is screaming about a 30% drop, lack of pheasants must not be such a big deal.  Further, with the PGC set to go to 200,000 birds in 2012, that would be an increase in pheasants.  Since the limit on pheasants is two per day, it would take 100,000 birds or 50,000 more limits of birds shot on Sunday to reduce the population to where it would have stood currently.  In this case, lack of game is a non-argument.

Grouse -- Grouse populations are cyclic in nature.  Some years are great, while others suck.  Again, the limit is two per day.  When was the last time anyone here limited out on grouse every day they hunted them?  Does anyone really think that they will find enough grouse during a down cycle to limit every Sunday and therefore cause an issue with the population or that during an up cycle that a few extra limits per season will have that negative of an effect on the population?  In this case, lack of game is a non-agrument.

Rabbits -- Loss of habitat is a real issue.  There just aren't as many places that hold a great population of rabbits (aside form your garden) as there were in the past.  But does any tried and true rabbit hunter, especially one with decent hounds, have any trouble at all finding enough bunnies to entertain them for the day?  Probably not.  After all, they breed like, well, rabbits.  So lack of game is a non-argument.

Quail -- closed season -- non-argument.

Hares -- niche species, one per day -- non-argument.

Woodchucks and crows -- really?  non-argument.

Turkeys -- From what I read on these boards (I don't hunt them), turkey populations are in a decline.  So adding a Sunday will have an impact on their population and could result in a lack of game.  However, since one is permitted to tag only one fall bird and one spring bird (without purchasing an extra tag), the only extra turkeys harvested on Sundays will be by those that, for lack of a better term, find an acorn -- those that routinely harvest (kill, whatever) a turkey without Sundays will have filled their tag anyway and once the tag is filled, it makes no difference how many more days there are to hunt because by law you can't hunt anyway.  In addition, if there were that great of a lack of turkeys, it is doubtful that there would be the ability to purchase an extra spring tag or the addition of afternoons to the spring season.  There may be an argument here based on lack of game, but it is weak to non-existent at best.

Bears -- Adding a Sunday to bear season could have a real impact on the population (since they wise up to being hunted on Saturday and use Sunday to hide, as one poster put it).  Unless, of course the season is changed from Saturday, Monday, Tuesday to Saturday, Sunday, Monday and cut Tuesday, resulting in the same number of days.  Again, there may be an argument here based on lack of game, but it is weak to non-existent as well.

Waterfowl -- Seasons are set by the feds who set them to include states that have Sunday hunting -- non-argument.

So basically, the lack of game situation getting worse is a non-argument in most cases and very weak where it exists at all.

Oh, wait, what about deer.  Ah, there is the rub (pun definately intended).  Going back to the turkey discussion, somewhat, since there is only one buck tag per backtag, the population can be impacted with the extra opportunity to hunt on Sundays.  But, with the changes in the AR regs that will result in an approximated 12% increase in the buck harvest (kills, whatever), without so much as a murmer, being passed, will the increase in the buck harvest (kill, whatever) be that significant?  Hard to say.  The antlerless is controled by allocation based on success ratio.  In other words, adjusting the allocations (and that is a huge IF) takes adding Sundays out of the equation because once a tag is filled, it doesn't matter how many more days there are to hunt, it is filled and the hunter cannot legally continue ot hunt.  So maybe, maybe, there is a slight argument here that there will be a greater lack of game than there already is. 

The question becomes, is that enough to kill (not really harvest, whatever) Sundays?  Does it really make the situation any worse than it already is?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 14:07:29 (permalink)
    The weekends typically result in the largest harvests of whatever game is being hunted. Adding additional days to hunt has NEVER resulted in increasing the game being hunted. The deer harvest success rate is in the 7%-17% range depending on whose numbers you choose to use. The turkey success rate isn't much different. That leaves a lot of hunters in the woods on the days that the largest numbers of hunters have off work.

I think your definition of a weak argument against Sunday hunting is being defined as weak by someone who really wants to hunt Sunday. Damm the torpedos, full speed ahead-----------BOOOOM

PS---It is lack of Places to hunt.

post edited by S-10 - 2011/09/29 14:08:32
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 15:17:28 (permalink)
    Dar and 10- the talk bout written permission from the landowner will CERTAINLY have impact on the availability of 'places to hunt' for many and will  have large impact.
    Many friends no longer hunt here because of it.
    That is a major issue if it is pursued-bigger even than the Sunday thing by far.
    Most believe they have land access covered- but wait a year or two and see what happens as folks start to 'limit' their permission signatures to just a few -if any.
      I know- this is PA not that little Ct- -wait and see- been there done that.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/29 15:18:55
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 15:41:56 (permalink)

The weekends typically result in the largest harvests of whatever game is being hunted. Adding additional days to hunt has NEVER resulted in increasing the game being hunted. The deer harvest success rate is in the 7%-17% range depending on whose numbers you choose to use. The turkey success rate isn't much different. That leaves a lot of hunters in the woods on the days that the largest numbers of hunters have off work.

I think your definition of a weak argument against Sunday hunting is being defined as weak by someone who really wants to hunt Sunday. Damm the torpedos, full speed ahead-----------BOOOOM

PS---It is lack of Places to hunt.

I never said game would increase, except for the pheasants, which will be stocked.  What I said was there are no strong arguments that game will drastically decrease either.  The only two that present an argument at all might be turkey and deer. 

Let's say you are a good turkey hunter that more often than not harvests (kills, whatever) a tukey on a regular basis and you go out on the first day of fall turkey and kill (harvest, whatever) a turkey.  Your tag is filled.  You can no longer hunt.  Sundays will not increase your harvest any further.  For the guy that didn't get one on Saturday, they have the option, which they may or may not choose to use, to hunt Sunday.  If they harvest (kill, whatever) a turkey on Sunday, then they are done.  Their tag is filled.  They can no longer hunt.  Who is to say they would not have harvested (killed, whatever) a turkey the next Saturday anyway?  If they would have, it becomes a zero sum game.  Nothing with repsect to the turkey population has been gained or lost.  The only time a population decrease, thereby resulting in an increased lack of game, occurs is if someone that doesn't normally harvest a bird does so on a Sunday.  And that will happen.  But the question is, to what degree will it happen?  Will it increase the harvet (kill, whatever) by 1%, 5%, 10% 25%, what?  If it is less than 25%, what's the big deal, the population probably flexs that much anyway (less than 25% of the harvest, not the total population)?

Looking at deer, almost the same thing happens.  If you harvest a buck before at anytime before a Sunday occurs in the season, Sunday inclusion doesn't mean squat.  If someone harvests (kills, whatever) a deer on a Sunday and they would have harvested (killed, whatever) a deer their next day off anyway, it is zero sum.  Again, the only impact to the population is if someone that is normally a non-successful hunter actually harvests (kills, whateveR) a deer on a Sunday.  Again, what wil the increase be?  Will it eclipse the 12% that will occur in the western end of the state just because they have poor eyesight?

Antlerless tag allocation can be flexed to accomodate Sundays in the ratio with the success rate.

Keep in mind that those that say lack of game are the same folks that say that there aren't enough steelhead.  Keep in mind that those that say there is a lack of places to hunt are the same ones that say there should be no private water rights because the sprung for a fishing license.

It is a weak argument.

Questions -- If Sunday hunting passed, would you go?

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 16:15:14 (permalink)
    "Again, the only impact to the population is if someone that is normally a non-successful hunter actually harvests (kills, whateveR) a deer on a Sunday. Again, what wil the increase be?"

Dcnr seemed to thing it was going to matter when suggested/ordered pgc to look into it as a method to kill more deer....
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 16:22:09 (permalink)
    I think Mulhollem musta been half asleep or medicated when he said this: "Summerhill sees it that way, too, but his take on that may surprise you"

Why in gods name would we be "surprised" that the mans stance on deer is that there are too many and they should all be killed when this is his credentials stated just a couple of paragraphs earlier in the article.

"On a total of about 480 acres he primarily grows the cash crops corn and soybeans, and also operates a hardwood lumber company fed by the woodlands around his fields."

Yeah, Jeff, Im absolutely shocked!!! lol.

Im also not shocked or surprised that he supports sunday hunting. But my advice to summerhill would be, you have been catered to by the game commission for years and not only have had significant reductions to the overall state herd, but also have been given plenty of tools to address depredation specifically. USE THEM!

btw, this article was already posted on another thread, I think by OA, maybe a week or two ago?
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/29 16:23:56
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 16:41:07 (permalink)
    Dcnr seemed to thing it was going to matter when suggested/ordered pgc to look into it as a method to kill more deer....

So did the Audubon when they started this thing in about 1999 or thereabouts.
    So did Alt. It was one of his goals in the early days.
    Sunday hunting has been a stated option to reduce the deer herd in every published discussion of wildlife managers,etc since before AR/HR.
    The only ones who don't think it will make a difference are the ones who want to go full speed ahead and damm the torpedos-------BOOOOM
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 16:47:26 (permalink)

Sunday hunting has been a stated option to reduce the deer herd in every published discussion of wildlife managers,etc since before AR/HR.
    The only ones who don't think it will make a difference are the ones who want to go full speed ahead and damm the torpedos-------BOOOOM

I didn't say it wouldn't make any difference.  It will.  No doubt.

The question is how much of a difference when weighed against the possible extra hunting time for those that foot the bulk of the PGC bill -- the casual hunter -- in a costs/benefits analysis.

If passed, will you hunt on Sunday?

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 16:54:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Dar and 10- the talk bout written permission from the landowner will CERTAINLY have impact on the availability of 'places to hunt' for many and will  have large impact.
    Many friends no longer hunt here because of it.
    That is a major issue if it is pursued-bigger even than the Sunday thing by far.
    Most believe they have land access covered- but wait a year or two and see what happens as folks start to 'limit' their permission signatures to just a few -if any.
    I know- this is PA not that little Ct- -wait and see- been there done that.

Permission must be granted to enter anyones property any where. While some won't give "WRITTEN" permission they don't have to rather it be a reg or not. A verbal agreement is all that is needed. I will give verbal but not written. I will not put my neck on the line as far as being liable with a written slip being given. I'm sure many others feel the same way.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 17:06:50 (permalink)
    A verbal agreement is all that is needed. I will give verbal but not written. I will not put my neck on the line as far as being liable with a written slip being given. I'm sure many others feel the same way.

I believe that is the reason a lot of Ohio landowners don't want anything to do with the DNR and their written permission slips. No landowner actually came out and said that to me but a couple of local hunters indicated that was the case .
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 17:24:58 (permalink)
    For the properties I have/had written permission from, I had them sign a waiver absolving themselves of any liability of my being on their property.  It can be a good selling point when trying to obtain permission.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 18:00:36 (permalink)
    The permission slips in Ohios game booklet have that type waiver included in them but it didn't seem to sway some of the landowners I talked to. They just seemed reluctant to sign their name to anything even though they said I could hunt.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 18:04:00 (permalink)
    DarDys, I completely agree with you on all/most points.  I feel in any given year I'll have the opportunity to tag a buck and doe.  I use a large portion of my earned vacation days doing so.  Allowing me to hunt on Sunday is not likely to affect my harvest totals over the long term.  It could however, affect the number of weekdays I need to take off in a given year to do so.

I am more likely to use the extra vacation days to fish steelhead.  If there's any argument at all then it's Sunday hunting will decrease the steelhead population as there is no season limit on them!
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 18:26:48 (permalink)
    OA-
    We had it that way for years - was no problem for most of us- as soon as they had to SIGN - lotsa lost properties to all.
     NEVER sit back and let that happen to your guys. The impact on a State like PA could be heavy in  a short time.
     This is a small State and very Urban in lots of areas so it actually has value here as there was starting to be a lot of abuse to landowners near the Urban areas.
     Would be on a small farm and suddenly a bunch  guys  would show up and shoot the place up for an hour and move on- Then it would happen again in a another hour or so. Made the landowners crazy - no permission just hopping place to place- the slips stopped that.
      Cost a lot of land to Hunters but gave some owners peace.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/29 18:33:37
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:03:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

For the properties I have/had written permission from, I had them sign a waiver absolving themselves of any liability of my being on their property.  It can be a good selling point when trying to obtain permission.

Your right, in away. Most don't know that an expensive NY Lawyer (so to speak) would laugh at such because most waivers don't mean jack as far as one getting hurt. Same as if you posted your land and one got hurt one can still sue.It's not right or fair but this is what this country has come to.

Used to be that two parties used to settle differences on their own or trust was a good ole hand shake but lets face it folks, this is 2011 and everyone wants a piece of what you own. All in all you really can't blame the landowners for denning one permission to hunt. One must first develop a good relationship with a property owner and get to know each other before turning one loose to hunt. Don't show up the morning you want to hunt.

Many also think that just because there as no signs one can enter and hunt. Wrong. There are many stimulations that come into play as far as trespassing and one must educate themselves, get permission rather written or verbal before entering private land. If a WCO tries to cite for trespassing, he can't unless the landowner is behind it.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:16:18 (permalink)
    If a WCO tries to cite for trespassing, he can't unless the landowner is behind it.

I have stated this a hundred times but folks still do not understand..

As written currently ... A Pa. game warden CAN NOT fine anyone for trespassing UNLESS some other game code is being broken or it is a safety zone .....
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:19:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

If a WCO tries to cite for trespassing, he can't unless the landowner is behind it.

I have stated this a hundred times but folks still do not understand..

As written currently ... A Pa. game warden CAN NOT fine anyone for trespassing UNLESS some other game code is being broken or it is a safety zone .....

Finally we agree on something. I think I hurt my knee when I fell out of the chair. I'm getting a lawyer ! LOL
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:24:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

I didn't say it wouldn't make any difference.  It will.  No doubt.

The question is how much of a difference when weighed against the possible extra hunting time for those that foot the bulk of the PGC bill -- the casual hunter -- in a costs/benefits analysis.

If passed, will you hunt on Sunday?

I think your question has been dismissed.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:26:39 (permalink)
    The Landowner Liability Act

What does it all mean?

A landowner who allows someone on their property (without charge) to engage in one or more of the listed recreational purposes, is not liable for injuries to the person or the person's property.

Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, in each case which has gone to court in which this act was used as defense, the landowner has won the case. So it is posted but not true. Ask any atternoy.

Note that landowners do not have to make the land "safe" for the activity, nor do they have to warn persons of any "danger" that may exist. Once again this is not "always" true.

This does not relieve persons engaged in a covered activity from exercising care to themselves or to the landowner's property.

If a landowner charges a fee to use the land and an injury occurs, the landowner may be held liable.

If the landowner wilfully or maliciously causes an injury, the landowner may be held liable.

This act does not give persons the right to trespass on private property.

So If you are a landowner be selective who you let on your property. As a hunter you can try and convince the landowner that they are not responcable for liability. Both must be fully edcucated to be safe.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:37:03 (permalink)
    If I recall my recent E-mails correctly someone on the game and fisheries committee has proposed a bill to try to get approval for WCOs to be able to enforce for trespasssing by licensed hunters without a game code violation being needed too....

BUT we will have to see just how far that gets .. I have my doubts ??
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 19:58:31 (permalink)

If I recall my recent E-mails correctly someone on the game and fisheries committee has proposed a bill to try to get approval for WCOs to be able to enforce for trespassing by licensed hunters without a game code violation being needed too....

Remember the educated will only prevail. Verbal permission is only needed to do anything on private land.Again the parties must have trust in each other. A unregistered ATV is legal on private land with permission but they (DCNR) try and make you think it must be registered and insured if not ridden on your own property. Not true.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 20:07:09 (permalink)

If I recall my recent E-mails correctly someone on the game and fisheries committee has proposed a bill to try to get approval for WCOs to be able to enforce for trespasssing by licensed hunters without a game code violation being needed too....

Now that would be a step in the right direction and a bill I could fully support.

If you are in the act of hunting as stipulated in the game code, then a WCO should be able to cite you for Tresspassing/hunting with out permission. You are hunting and breaking the law....

Did the written permission slip thing when I lived in Colorado.
    You didn't step foot on Private groung without the landowners permission. They even had nice little cards you filled out, lisc #, vehicle color/make, and a phone number that you gave to the landowner.
    The second half of the card the landowner signed and you carried with you.

Had no problems with it or getting permission from landowners.

People in this state have had it way to easy for many years.
    They just drive down the road and jump out and hunt where ever they dam well please without getting permission. Might weed out some of the slobs to lazy to get permission.

This would also help get rid of all these dam yellow posted signs that dot our highways and spoil the view..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: For the sunday hunting lovers/haters 2011/09/29 20:24:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Now that would be a step in the right direction and a bill I could fully support.

If you are in the act of hunting as stipulated in the game code, then a WCO should be able to cite you for Tresspassing/hunting with out permission. You are hunting and breaking the law....

Did the written permission slip thing when I lived in Colorado.
    You didn't step foot on Private groung without the landowners permission. They even had nice little cards you filled out, lisc #, vehicle color/make, and a phone number that you gave to the landowner.
    The second half of the card the landowner signed and you carried with you.

Had no problems with it or getting permission from landowners.

People in this state have had it way to easy for many years.
    They just drive down the road and jump out and hunt where ever they dam well please without getting permission. Might weed out some of the slobs to lazy to get permission.

This would also help get rid of all these dam yellow posted signs that dot our highways and spoil the view..

I also agree but written vs verbal is something we could ague about for a while so we won't go there. Written would be proof that one is permitted to hunt private when approached by a WCO sitting on a road or patrolling private at the request of the landowner. Agreed some places are out of hand as far as trespassers. On very large tracts the owner has his hands full. As long as the deer herd is low A lot of those yellow signs going to stay up as many now manage their own deer and charge hunters to hunt. Just my .02 cents.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: