Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 18:48:14 (permalink)
sorry.... BUT A HUNTER THAT HAS TO PAY TO SHOOT A DEER IS NOT IN MY VOCABULARY AS A DEER HUNTER....and definitely is not a true sportsman... IMHO.....

I have nothing against a guy that can afford to buy a deer harvest, but I sure do not want him talking to me about "deer hunting" and could care less about his opinions about "deer hunting".....

Now that is not to say I feel there is anything wrong with leasing a property to control the number of hunters ...

but again

my respect goes to those that harvest on land open to anyone that has permission or public land FIRST !! .... that's the most challenging form of deer hunting..

EDIT == well off to my soprtmen's meeting at 8pm ... til later...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/21 18:50:51
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 18:51:17 (permalink)
Less deer than could be and should be basically across the board regardless of deer density within those units. Some have far higher carrying capacity than others. That doesnt mean they are as they should be because they arent equal to 2g. And that also doesnt mean that there should be further reductions for no good reason.

2G? what's 2G have to do with this? As far as further reductions for no good reason are you referring to the additional doe tags that were issued in 2F this season for a WMU already suffering low deer numbers?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 18:53:35 (permalink)
2G? what's 2G have to do with this? As far as further reductions for no good reason are you referring to the additional doe tags that were issued in 2F this season for a WMU already suffering low deer numbers?

The increased tags were because we lost the first week to harvest antllerless... but you knew that .....
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 18:56:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

sorry.... BUT A HUNTER THAT HAS TO PAY TO SHOOT A DEER IS NOT IN MY VOCABULARY AS A DEER HUNTER....and definitely is not a true sportsman... IMHO.....

I have nothing against a guy that can afford to buy a deer harvest, but I sure do not want him talking to me about "deer hunting" and could care less about his opinions about "deer hunting".....

Now that is not to say I feel there is anything wrong with leasing a property to control the number of hunters ...

but again

my respect goes to those that harvest on land open to anyone that has permission or public land FIRST !! .... that's the most challenging form of deer hunting..

EDIT == well off to my soprtmen's meeting at 8pm ... til later...

Explain the differance between a farmer charging to access his land to hunt or a farmer LEASING his land for hunting ?
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 18:58:39 (permalink)

The increased tags were because we lost the first week to harvest antllerless... but you knew that .....

Exactly so you decrease the number of tags when addition days become avalible to hunt such as Sundays.
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:11:52 (permalink)
Exactly so you decrease the number of tags when addition days become avalible to hunt such as Sundays.

Gee I wish it were that simply to get pgc to do what we want....the reasonable responsible thing. Just think we could be singing rosenberry and roes praises while skipping in the park instead of having this conversation at all.

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:42:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

Some flat out are against it and will post.

Specifics? You saying that if HB1760 passes, they will post immediately not knowing when or if any Sundays are added?  Or quite possibily many have no clue about the ins and outs of the Sunday hunting issue and pending legislation.

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:44:37 (permalink)

I have posted several times that not just those I know but those talking to the local politcians are totally against Sunday hunting and realize if passed there is not way they can patrol their land on Sundays...

If what is passed, Doc?  HB1760 (that doesn't add one Sunday to any season)?  or Sunday deer hunting?
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/21 19:53:18

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:47:44 (permalink)
the hunters that today can only hunt 2-3 days would automatically get 2 more days in rifle season if Sundays are legal.. so the 2-3 days would become 4-6 and thus more opportunities for a harvest.. thus higher harvest of both males and females..

Unless the season length is changed I only count one additional day. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:53:08 (permalink)
"Specifics? You saying that if HB1760 passes, they will post immediately not knowing when or if any Sundays are added? "

Cant say for sure. I would guess that if they are against it, it wouldnt sit very well with them to have a squirrel hunter coming through their woods any more than any other type. Just a guess.

Though it is really a moot point. Sunday hunting is all about the deer. And when it is implemented for deer there is no reason for it not to be for everything else if they go that far.

I am against sunday hunting and have given my reasons. If it is passed, I would strongly prefer the bandaid rip approach. Just make it another day and done across the board. This doesnt need to be pgcs little "toy", and we dont need the effects to be "hid" by stretching it out. Slap it on us and adjust accordingly or face even more pressure. Thats exactly how it should be. This also would save us all alot of fighting by having to go through all of this again once the deer issue arises. If given the say, they WILL implement it for deer soon thereafter anyway. For me, that is a pretty much written in stone as I see it.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/21 19:54:49
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:56:04 (permalink)
"Unless the season length is changed I only count one additional day."

Which given the harvest rate on the first Saturday, one is MORE than enough.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 19:57:09 (permalink)
If what is passed, Doc? HB1760 (that doesn't add one Sunday to any season)? or Sunday deer hunting?

For all intense purposes, its the exact same thing.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 20:02:18 (permalink)
Well, here's a good way for landowners to deal with trespassers: http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?56642-Gots-me-a-trespasser-truck!
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 20:03:38 (permalink)

"Specifics? You saying that if HB1760 passes, they will post immediately not knowing when or if any Sundays are added? "

Cant say for sure. I would guess that if they are against it, it wouldnt sit very well with them to have a squirrel hunter coming through their woods any more than any other type. Just a guess.

As I have said before, whether one is for this intitiative or not, take the time to explain the details to those that may not have the same understanding of it.  If you hear from a landowner that he will shut his land down, ask why.  If it is based off of misinformation, maybe the land would stay open for those that use it with a better understanding of the process.

I hear it all the time. "I talked to this farmer and he will shut his land down".  When I ask specifics, I rarely get a specific answer.  Too much is at stake.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 20:07:41 (permalink)

Which given the harvest rate on the first Saturday, one is MORE than enough.

I saw harvest data from somewhere? that showed that a Sunday deer harvest was only slightly higher than a weekday during the early part of the season.  I can't remember what state it was from.  

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 20:13:24 (permalink)

If what is passed, Doc? HB1760 (that doesn't add one Sunday to any season)? or Sunday deer hunting?

For all intense purposes, its the exact same thing.

So it is acceptable to you for land to be shut down now if it becomes legal for deer to be hunted on Sundays during the 2014/15 season?  Especially if the landowner bases their decision on the wrong information?

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 20:58:33 (permalink)
So it is acceptable to you for land to be shut down now if it becomes legal for deer to be hunted on Sundays during the 2014/15 season? Especially if the landowner bases their decision on the wrong information?

This smoke and mirrors B.S. assumes that the landowners and fence sitting hunters are too dumb to know the only reason for this whole exercise is to obtain Sunday hunting mainly for DEER. Trying to ease into it to allow the landowners time to get used to the idea in hopes they will not post their land is just wishful thinking. You know it's all about Sunday hunting for DEER, I know it's all about Sunday hunting for DEER and the landowners know it's all about Sunday hunting for DEER.

#1 reason for hunters leaving the sport= LACK OF GAME TO HUNT
#2 reason for hunters leaving the sport= LACK OF PLACES TO HUNT

Explain how allowing Sunday hunting, which will put additional pressure on a depleted game resource and is against the wishes of the landowners, is going to address the two greatest reasons for hunters leaving the sport.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:22:55 (permalink)
I know why I support HB1760 S-10, and it is not Sunday hunting for deer.  People got their reasons for and against.  Hopefully it is not based on misinformation.

On thing is for certain, as hunter numbers decrease along with participation hours of the ones we still have, opportunities will increase for those of us that wish to continue hunting.  It is a national trend that Pa. will not be immune from.
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/21 21:24:36

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:35:36 (permalink)
All this go slow, start with small game or woodchucks crap tells me is that there a bunch of you folks pushing for Sunday hunting that realize that it will lead to the loss of currently open land and are trying to figure out how to keep the loss as low as possible. You keep it as low as possible by not forcing it down the landowners throat.

Did you ever stop to think that hunter participation has decreased as the game population has decreased and adding more days and weapons only serves to further decrease the game population which in turn will lead to more hunter disatifaction and folks dropping out of the sport which leads to less political clout. You are proposing cutting your own throat.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:37:09 (permalink)
The main reason HB1760 should give control to the PGC to regulate the days to hunt is CHOICE. In this day and age the modern hunter is faced with many obstacles. CHOICE is for the hunter and landowner alike it what it boils down to. CHOICE, you don't like you don't have to participate.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:40:37 (permalink)
I know why I support HB1760 S-10, and it is not Sunday hunting for deer. People got their reasons for and against

Respectfully dpms, that doesnt carry much weight or soothe many fears with most of us that have those type of concerns, since you arent the one that will be regulating it.

We are well aware of pgcs actions, history and intentions.

There is also no need for concern about all those necessary added opportunities any time soon. We already have more tags than pretty much anyone else out there and will still have more hunter than alot of other states even if we lose a couple or few hundred thousand more. We also have far fewer deer than we used to and that means it takes less harvest just to keep them in line if that were the goal. Cross that bridge when we come to it. At the point where our numbers have dwindled and herd maintanence becomes an issue, i will be the first to support expansion of opportunities. Id say our current season structures have proven to be quite liberal and more than adequate to prevent overpopulation. lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/21 21:41:00
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:40:58 (permalink)
Did the 43 states that allow Sunday hunting cut their own throats ?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:42:06 (permalink)
Their throats are safe as long as they do not have Roe, Rosenberry & Dubrock on staff.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:46:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

All this go slow, start with small game or woodchucks crap tells me is that there a bunch of you folks pushing for Sunday hunting that realize that it will lead to the loss of currently open land and are trying to figure out how to keep the loss as low as possible. You keep it as low as possible by not forcing it down the landowners throat.

There are some that could care less if land is closed.  I am not one of them.  Would it happen? Probably on a small scale when it is all said and done.  Not nearly what some are predicting, IMO. If taking it slow, keeps any of it open, I am all for it. 

And I would vehemently disagree that anything is being forced down anyone's throat.  The issue is not a landowner's rights issue.  They retain every right that had before as a property owner.

*Edited to add that not one piece of property I hunt would be affected by either HB1760 or the BOC legalizing Sunday deer hunting. But I appreciate that others may not be as fortunate.
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/21 21:54:36

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:47:59 (permalink)
What about three consecutive days to hunt bear ? Saturday Sunday Monday. With the bear population exploding wouldn't it make sense to have 3 consecutive days or more to hunt ? Are the farmers going to post all the land in Pa if bears are hunted on Sundays? Is lack of bears the reason the bear hunter numbers are down ?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:52:27 (permalink)

I know why I support HB1760 S-10, and it is not Sunday hunting for deer. People got their reasons for and against

Respectfully dpms, that doesnt carry much weight or soothe many fears with most of us that have those type of concerns, since you arent the one that will be regulating it.

I wasn't trying to ease your fears. A false assuption was made about my support of a bill.  I am also well aware it is all about deer for some for and against.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:54:32 (permalink)
"All this go slow, start with small game or woodchucks crap tells me is that there a bunch of you folks pushing for Sunday hunting that realize that it will lead to the loss of currently open land and are trying to figure out how to keep the loss as low as possible. You keep it as low as possible by not forcing it down the landowners throat."

Yep. Same as with the added deer harvest. Going slow and it not happening all at once would hide the effect somewhat, but the effect would still end up the same. Less deer. Though it wouldnt be as glaringly obvious to the layman exactly why that is or exactly when it occurred. How much was due to the usual overloaded allocation, how much the addition of other things, sunday hunting or the coyotes. lol

Course the pgc will say its NONE of that stuff... Just our poor habitat impeding herd growth, all the while looking for the next hooved rat whacking option.... lmao.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/21 21:56:25
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 21:57:37 (permalink)
The main reason HB1760 should give control to the PGC to regulate the days to hunt is CHOICE. In this day and age the modern hunter is faced with many obstacles. CHOICE is for the hunter and landowner alike it what it boils down to. CHOICE, you don't like you don't have to participate.

Choice... what a joke... as you have already posted it will not effect your hunting.. but you are one of a few that will not be effected...

there are many that Sunday hunting will effect... fewer tags.. shorter seasons, more posted land...

you should think of hunters in general not just your personal situation...

"misinformation"... just what misinformation are landowners getting... they have clearly stated that want NO MORE SUNDAY HUNTING... what needs to be explained they are not ignorant... they know Sunday hunting will mean more hunters on their land... that is what they do not want... that want that one day to not have to worry about hunters... why is that so hard for you Pro-Sunday guys to understand..

it has NOTHING to do with "misinformation".. the owners I talk to simply want one day they do not have to worry about hunters on their property...

that is simple for me to comprehend... no squirrel hunters.. no ducks hunters, no rabbit hunters, especially no deer hunters === NONE === for at least one day a week..

so where's this misinformation... ???

If the reason to change the law is not to be able to hunt SOMETHING on Sundays what's the reason for wanting a change in the law allowing it ??????????????

The smoke screen about who decides is BULL.... if the PGC went to the congress and showed more of a species need harvested they may get that animal added to the list that is already legal to hunt... or are you guys just forgetting we already have Sunday hunting for some creatures ????????????

That scenario is always never mentioned....
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 22:02:29 (permalink)
But I appreciate that others may not be as fortunate

And there in is the problem..

you guys are BASING EVERYTHING on your situation...

YOU'LL ADMIT THERE WILL BE OTHER HUNTERS THAT GET SCREWED WITH SUNDAY HUNTING..

BUT DEVIL BE WARE..

WHO CARES ABOUT THEM...

it's about === ME ..ME..ME..AND GETTING MORE OPPORTUNTIY TO HARVEST DEER...

Trying to tell any intelligent hunter it is not about deer sooner or later is just pure hockey=puck............

as I have said it does not effect me either.. but I"d not vote for something that may hurt a fellow hunter.... or to cause one to loose an opportuntiy to harvest game.... but that may be just me ????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/21 22:05:45
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 22:04:00 (permalink)

there are many that Sunday hunting will effect... fewer tags.. shorter seasons, more posted land...

Do you have data to back it up from the 43 states with Sunday hunting or are these assumptions?

"misinformation"... just what misinformation are landowners getting... they have clearly stated that want NO MORE SUNDAY HUNTING...

You have said multiple times that "if passed" land would be shut down.  Since HB1760 is the only thing that could be passed that is on the table in regards to Sunday hunting, do these folks that you speak of understand that the bill does not add one Sunday to any season? 

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to: