Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/15 09:47:56 (permalink)

Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight

Tonight at 6:30 and will be live streamed from Representative Evans website. http://www.repevans.com/  Apparently, testimony is by invitation only.  IMO, the public should be able to state their opinions as well.  Good or bad. 
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/15 09:50:01

My rifle is a black rifle

167 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 10:43:59 (permalink)
    good to know. thanks.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 19:39:38 (permalink)
    "techincal difficulties" reported and no live stream after over an hour into the meeting.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 20:55:07 (permalink)
    Would be interesting to have an explanation of how the "inviting" was decided upon and by whom. Although the "public" wasnt invited, word has it, a well known pgc surrogate/enviromentalist was invited to speak and was listed as an invited guest speaker under a very inaccurate hunter benevolent sounding unofficial made up on the fly title.

Might be a blessing in disguise that we can't watch. ...Besides I just ate a big meal.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:15:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Word has it a well known pgc surrogate/enviromentalist was invited to speak and was listed as an invited guest speaker under a very inaccurate hunter benevolent sounding unofficial made up on the fly title.

Janet N?
    post edited by dpms - 2011/09/15 21:38:10

tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:17:43 (permalink)
    I'm sure the "invited" will be quoted in the paper and referenced to as an "expert". I blame Bush for this.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:35:09 (permalink)
    Dont know who "Janet N" is at least offhand. Hopefully it was not who it was expected to be, and if it isnt, then I guess that should be considered good news. Janet N is not who was expected. Sounds like you know a little about it, in what capacity exactly does this person hold the title: Women and youth hunting advocate? And what separates this person from the rest of the general public? Is that some official title with some organization?

Btw dpms, in your quote of my post you kinda forgot: "word has it," which i added because of second hand info and speculation based on the particulars as well as the fact the notorious person mentioned is very propgc politically active and was in fact attending the meeting.
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/15 21:40:14
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:39:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c
    Btw dpms, in your quote of my post you kinda forgot: "word has it,"

I added it in there for ya since I am that kinda guy.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:40:52 (permalink)
    Tanx!
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:46:00 (permalink)
    Janet Nyce.  Was once considered a possible candidate for a BOC seat. 

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/15 21:55:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, OK, i know of whom you speak now. Had something to do with the governor youth advisory and was touted by Palone over at the woodpile as the best candidate for the commissioner seat previously.

Dont know alot of in depth info on her or actual positions, so will reserve judgement.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 01:50:16 (permalink)
    The members of the comittee would be who does the "inviting". Some people/groups lobby for invitation, other times comittee members seek out "experts". Generally "experts" that will provide testimoney that will re-inforce the inviting member's current position on the subject.

comittee, or full chamber hearings are NEVER open forum. Those who testify, always do so by invitation, or under supenea.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 07:28:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Generally "experts" that will provide testimoney that will re-inforce the inviting member's current position on the subject.

Wonder who invited HSUS Pa. rep Sarah Speed to testify at the first hearing? 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 07:56:22 (permalink)
    For what's claimed to be an independent agency not governed by politics there sure is a lot of politics involved.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 08:30:38 (permalink)
    Not a PGC issue right not s-10. That's what the fight's over getting control of it. NW Commissioner was at our meeting last night and mentioned that the way it sits now the decision is in the Legis. hands, so technically they could mandate sunday hunting if they wanted to and the PGC could do nothing about it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 15:30:28 (permalink)
    "Wonder who invited HSUS Pa. rep Sarah Speed to testify at the first hearing?"

That's where the "lobbying" for an invite comes in. Probably someone who got campaign cash, or an endorsement from HSUS.

Ya think?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 16:08:25 (permalink)
    SUNDAY HUNTING PRESENTATION

GOOD EVENING MR CHAIRMAN, FELLOW COMMITTEE MEMBERS, THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO PROVIDE WRITTEN TESTIMONY THIS EVENING. AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF THE PA GAME COMMISSION LET ME OFFER YOU A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON SUNDAY HUNTING. FIRST, AS A PA GAME COMMISSIONER REPRESENTING REGION 8 OF SOUTH EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA WHERE A VERY LARGE HUNTING CONSTITUENY SUPPORTS SUNDAY HUNTING AND SECOND, AS AN AVID HUNTER WHO SUPPORTS SUNDAY HUNTING AND ELIMINATION OF THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW.

MY TESTIMONY IS MY OWN OPINION AS A SITTING COMMISSIONER ON THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, IT IS BY NO MEANS MEANT TO REPRESENT THE ENTIRE BOC.

WHAT CAN I SAY THAT ALREADY HAS NOT BEEN SAID. THERE HAS BEEN THE LEGISLATIVE BUDGET & FINANCE COMMITTEE REPORT THAT CONCLUDED AN ECONOMIC FINANCIAL WINDFALL TO BUSINESSES AND THE ECONOMY OF PENNSYLVANIA, HAD SUNDAY HUNTING BEEN ENACTED. THERE IS MUCH DEBATE ON THAT REPORT, BUT I MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON REALISTIC SCENARIOS. THIS PAST SPRING I COMMUNICATED WITH MR. SCOTT WOJTON (SEE ATTACHED EMAIL) FROM THE LEHIGH VALLEY. HE PROCEEDED TO TELL ME THAT BECAUSE PENNSYLVANIA DOES NOT HAVE SUNDAY HUNTING, HE HUNTED SPRING GOBBLER SATURDAY & SUNDAY IN NEW YORK STATE, THEN TRAVELLED TO PENNSYLVANIA THE DAY AFTER TO ALSO HUNT SPRING TURKEY. DURING THAT OUT OF STATE VISIT HE AND HIS PARTY SPENT OVER $1000.00 WHICH INCLUDED LICENSE, GAS, MEALS, LODGING & TIPS THAT WENT TO AN OUT OF STATE TREASURY. HE & FRIENDS ALSO VISITED SEVERAL OTHER STATES WHO HAD SUNDAY HUNTING, THEY ALSO SPENT SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS AND CONTRIBUTED TO AN OUT OF STATE ECONOMY AND THEIR STATE TREASURY.

THE END RESULT, DUE TO OUR ANTIQUATED BLUE LAWS NO MONEY SPENT IN PENNSYLVANIA!! NO FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO THE COMMONWEALTH!!!!!

AS A BUSINESS OWNER, I WORK 6-7 DAYS WEEKLY AVERAGING A MINIMUM OF 80 HOURS A WEEK. IN OTHER WORDS I AM ALWAYS ON CALL! MY WIFE AND I TRAVELLED TO OUR CAMP IN RURAL SCHUYLKILL COUNTY FOR A VERY WELL DESERVED REST DURING THE JULY 4TH HOLIDAY. ARRIVING AT MY CAMP AROUND 630PM SATURDAY EVENING I IMMEDIATELY CHANGED MY CLOTHES, GRABBED MY VARMIT RIFLE AND WENT TO MY NEIGHBORS FIELDS TO HUNT THE WILY SCHUYLKILL COUNTY GROUNDHOG. BEING SUCCESSFUL TWICE THAT EVENING I COULD NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT DAY TO CONTINUE THE HUNT. UNFORTUNATELY THE FOLLOWING DAY WAS SUNDAY, NO HUNTING IN PENNSYLVANIA!! DURING THAT DAY I WAS RELEGATED

TO DAILY CAMP CHORES AND FINALLY, AFTER BEING BORED MOST OF THE DAY I WAS
    HITTING GOLF BALLS INTO A PRACTICE NET. DURING MY GOLF PRACTICE I SPOTTED
    A GROUNDHOG IN MY FIELD. IF I AS A PROPERTY OWNER WAS ALLOWED TO HUNT ON SUNDAY, ON MY PROPERTY, THAT WEEKEND HUNTING EXPERIENCE WAS A STORY TELLER TO MY FRIENDS. UNFORTUNATELY THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW PROHIBITS SUNDAY HUNTING, TO ME AND OTHERS WHO OWN AND HUNT THEIR PROPERTY. THAT RARE OPPORTUNITY I AND OTHERS IN MY SITUATION HAD DURING THAT JULY 4TH WEEKEND (3 DAYS) WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING.

LATER ON JULY 4TH, I WAS INVITED TO A PICNIC BY THE BIGGEST FARMER AND LANDOWNER IN THE VALLEY. I WAS SITTING WITH HIM AND SIX OTHER FARMERS FROM SCHUYLKILL AND COLUMBIA COUNTIES. THEY NEW I WAS A PGC COMMISSIONER, THE TOPIC OF SUNDAY HUNTING WAS DISCUSSED. THEY DID NOT WANT ANY NEW LAW “SHOVED DOWN THEIR THROAT” AND WERE CONCERNED ABOUT PROPERTY RIGHTS. I AGREED WITH THEM, BUT I CANDIDLY ASKED EACH FARMER WOULD THEY DENY THEIR NEIGHBORS HUNTING OPPORTUNITY AND NOT ALLOW ANY HUNTING ON THEIR PROPERTY IF THE BLUE LAW WAS ELIMINATED. THERE ANSWER WAS NO! IN MY OPINION, THE FARMERS AT THAT PICNIC WERE CONCERNED WITH HUNTING THEIR OWN PROPERTY THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF THE DEER RIFLE SEASON THEN ALLOWING NEIGHBORS OR VISITORS TO HUNT AFTERWARDS, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THEIR PROPERTY RIGHTS.

RECENTLY A CUSTOMER OF MINE, DR. RH OF MEDIA (DELAWARE COUNTY) VISITED MY BUSINESS, HE ASKED ME WHAT IS THE STATUS OF SUNDAY HUNTING. AFTER I UPDATED HIM, DR H. THEN RESPONDED “ WE MUST RESPECT THE LANDOWNERS WISHES, IF THEY DO NOT WANT US TO HUNT THEIR PROPERTY ON SUNDAY I RESPECT THAT. BUT DO NOT PREVENT US TO HUNT PROPERTY THAT WE OWN, LEASE OR ANY STATE GAME LAND.”

WHAT ABOUT A DIVORCED COUPLE? WHAT ABOUT A DAD WHO HUNTS, WANTS TO TAKE HIS SON OR DAUGHTER HUNTING. WITH ALL THE OTHER SPORTING OPPORTUNITES YOUNGSTERS HAVE (SATURDAY SOCCER, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL ETC..) AVAILABLE TO THEM, SUNDAY IS THE ONLY OTHER DAY THAT A DIVORCED PARENT HAS TO CONNECT WITH HIS CHILD. IMO THIS IS WHERE THE CONTROVERSY LIES.

THIS EVENING I TESTIFIED ON THE FINANCIAL BENEFITS TO WORKERS AND THE COMMONWEALTH COFFERS, ADDITIONAL HUNTING OPPORTUNITY FOR HUNTERS WITH RIGID WORK SCHEDULES, DIVORCED COUPLES WITH CHILDREN OF HUNTING AGE AND LANDOWNER PROPERTY RIGHTS. OTHER STATES WHO PASSED SUNDAY HUNTING THE PAST FEW YEARS ENCOUNTERED THE SAME ARGUMENTS WE HAVE IN PENNSYLVANIA. TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE THE “SCARE TACTICS” AND THE “SKY IS FALLING” MENTALITY USED IN THOSE STATES DID NOT MATERIALIZE!!

TO SUMMARIZE, AT LEAST 43 STATES HAVE SOME FORM OF SUNDAY HUNTING. THE LANDOWNER HAS THE FINAL SAY AS TO WHAT OCCURS ON THEIR PROPERTY. THOUSANDS OF HUNTERS USE STATE GAME LANDS, STATE FORESTS, PRIVATE PROPERTY THEY OWN OR LEASE. I SUGGEST THAT AFTER THESE HEARINGS, CALL A MEETING WITH ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS AND FORGE AN AGREEMENT THAT IS AMICABLE TO ALL.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, ELIMINATE THE ANTIQUATED BLUE LAW PROHIBITING SUNDAY HUNTING AND ALLOW THE PA GAME COMMISSION THE RESPONSIBILITY TO MANAGE THE SEASONS AND BAG LIMITS. THE TIME IS RIGHT TO PUT PENNSYLVANIA IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

COMMISSIONER GREGORY J. ISABELLA
    PA. GAME COMMISSION
    REGION 8

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 16:16:20 (permalink)
    I like the way that man thinks,..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 16:25:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I like the way that man thinks,..

Me too ! Wait, did I just say something positive about the PGC ? Holy crap, first an earthquake, then a hurricane, fires out of control, and now I said something positive about the PGC ? Sweet baby Jesus !!

TROUT you reading this ?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/09/16 16:27:24
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 17:57:34 (permalink)
    PA. GAME COMMISSION
    REGION 8

Thats says it all RIGHT THERE !!!!!!

Isn't that the same Isabella that wanted no parts of crossbows in archery because it would cause too many deer to get killed .... and that deer seasons may get shortened ????????????????????

Interesting he has no fear that Sunday hunting will increase deer harvests or lead to shorter season ......

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/16 18:04:36
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 18:14:00 (permalink)
    here's another interesting one ===

Isabella said his major disappointment as a board member - and sportsmen - is dealing with a minority of hunters who continue to attack the views of other hunters who they are in disagreement with and refuse to work with the PGC. He said this only deepened his commitment to work for the good of the resources and not be swayed by groups and individuals

but mentioned the few groundhog hunters we have in Pa needing Sundays to hunt compared to deer hunters ( which are SPLIT) and a few comments from farmers/landowners where his camp is ....

He should just stay in and worry about South Philly, his shooting range and gun shop ...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/16 18:17:21
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 18:21:38 (permalink)
    "I like the way that man thinks,.. "

Don't know alot about isabella i take it. I have had the displeasure of hearing his extreme take on issues for far too long. As a commissioner the guy was a first class joke imho. Very extreme in his beliefs on deer management, and along with Palone and schleiden, the strongest supporters of the deer plan and antideer sentiment that has ever sat upon the board. Btw, my feelings about his contributions have nothing to do with his position on sunday hunting at all. Although I have little doubt what his real objective is. Same as its always been.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 18:23:12 (permalink)
    He should just stay in and worry about South Philly

I couldnt agree more. Wish he would have done that 8 years ago.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 18:25:19 (permalink)
    For what's claimed to be an independent agency not governed by politics there sure is a lot of politics involved.

Nothing but.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:06:20 (permalink)
    Isn't that the same Isabella that wanted no parts of crossbows in archery because it would cause too many deer to get killed .... and that deer seasons may get shortened ????????????????????

HUH? Isabella voted FOR the inclusion. He would NEVER vote against ANYTHING that killed more deer! Those that were opposed were Boop, Weaner and Delaney.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:19:34 (permalink)
    The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners, by a vote of 4-3, today gave preliminary approval to regulatory changes that would, if approved at a subsequent meeting and published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin, restrict the use of crossbows for the upcoming fall hunting seasons.

Those voting in favor of the proposal were Game Commissioner Ron Weaner, who requested that the proposal be placed on the July meeting agenda; as well as Game Commissioners Tom Boop, David Schreffler and Jay Delaney.

Those voting against the proposal were Game Commissioners Greg Isabella, David Putnam and Robert Schlemmer.

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today voted down a proposal that would have placed restrictions on crossbow use for the 2009-10 seasons. The 4-4 tie vote is not sufficient to give the proposed rulemaking the final adoption needed, so the previously approved regulations governing the use of crossbows for the 2009-10 seasons – as outlined in the 2009-10 Digest – will remain in effect.

On July 9, by a vote of 4-3, the Board gave preliminary approval to regulatory changes to restrict the use of crossbows for the upcoming fall hunting seasons. Following the July 9th vote, the proposed rule-making was reviewed by the state Office of Attorney General and published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin on Aug. 22.

Those voting today in favor of the proposal were Game Commissioner Ron Weaner, who requested that the proposal be placed on the July meeting agenda; as well as Game Commissioners Tom Boop, David Schreffler and Jay Delaney. Those voting today against the proposal were Game Commissioners Greg Isabella, David Putnam, Robert Schlemmer and Ralph Martone.

Based on today’s action, crossbows may be used by hunters participating in the archery deer and archery bear seasons for the 2009-10 seasons, as well as turkey seasons and the two-week firearms deer seasons.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/16 19:21:54
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:24:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

PA. GAME COMMISSION
    REGION 8

Thats says it all RIGHT THERE !!!!!!

Interesting he has no fear that Sunday hunting will increase deer harvests or lead to shorter season ......

Don't know much about his politics or agenda but, there is another point that I agree with if it was his stance..

He11 of Doc can get in bed with HSUS to stop Sunday hunting then I guess I'll have to get behind Isabella on a couple of good points that I support.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:31:22 (permalink)
    That is not his position on crossbows bings

Doc for pete sake would you please learn how to read. That vote was AFTER crossbow approval was voted on and was the vote to RESTRICT crossbow use.

"The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today voted down a proposal that would have placed restrictions on crossbow"
    post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/16 19:43:55
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:34:44 (permalink)
    MY BAD.....
    I guess I had them all bass akwards
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:38:32 (permalink)
    LINK

"Southeast Region commissioner Greg Isabella, a five-year member of the board, was elected PGC president for 2009. Completing this year's slate of elected officers are vice president Jay Delaney and treasurer Ron Weaner.

Inclusion of crossbows was approved by a 4-3 vote, with Isabella, immediate past-president Roxane Palone, Russ Schleiden and Dave Schreffler supporting the proposal and Delaney, Weaner and Tom Boop opposing. Former commissioner Dan Hill had been in favor of crossbows, but has left the board for a political appointment."

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/16 19:40:16
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: