Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:41:15 (permalink)
YEP I had them all backwards in my notes... THANKS for the correction Wayne...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/16 19:49:25
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:42:47 (permalink)
No harm, no foul doc.

But you should have known isabella and deer have NEVER gotten along. lol. If he couldve legalized nuclear warheads 24/7 for deer he probably wouldve.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:48:38 (permalink)
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/09/16 19:49:06
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:49:27 (permalink)
Whats wit da blank post doc? lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/16 19:50:05
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 19:49:37 (permalink)
Double post....
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/16 19:50:26
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 20:30:17 (permalink)
Looks like something may be in the works.  As Isabella eluded to in his testimony, parties coming together to see if there is any common ground to move forward on.

The PFB appears ready to talk.

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/16 20:51:25 (permalink)
LOL... wayne that's what happened to me too so I just left the smiley face there....
I went to edit and it posted the thanks for the correction post again ????

sure hope they get all the kinks out of this site soon !!!
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/17 18:44:58 (permalink)
Yeah dpms, i can hear the sweet talk from pgc, pgcs enabling legislators and the enviro-folks now to the farm bureau behind closed doors.... C'mon guys, you want less deer don't you???

I dont mean to dismiss the position of the legitimately interested hunters among us that support sunday hunting. But the only problem with that is they have just as little say in these matters as any of us and when it does pass it won't be because Joe hunter wants another day to hunt. It has nothing to do with what any of "us" wants either way.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/17 18:45:45
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/17 18:48:06 (permalink)
The PFB appears ready to talk

They've been talking. They just havent been saying what you want to hear. What would lead you to believe that their position has in any way changed? Im not saying it has or hasnt, as I have no idea, though I have seen nothing to indicate that it has. Participation in further talks isnt saying much. They have been participating in this from day one, including in these recent 2 hearings/dog pony shows.
snydje
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/18 21:40:20 (permalink)
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's time to think about getting an extra day a week to do the thing we all love.

For those of you who are concerned about an extra day of hunting reducing an already reduced deer herd, remember, we have been subject to increased/decreased deer hunting opportunities for the last decade and it had nothing to do with Sunday hunting. Antler-less seasons and permit allocations have been radically changed each year by the PGC. They do not need Sundays to further reduce the herd if that is their goal. They can just add more permits and more days to the season. As they have done every year.

My job does not give me the luxury of taking "vacation days".  That leaves me primarily Saturdays for hunting. However, as it stands now, if a family obligation or other commitment arises on Saturday I lose an entire week for hunting.  I am just asking for an additional opportunity to get out in the woods. Will I hunt both days of a weekend if Sunday hunting is permitted? I might, but I doubt it. I can fish both days of the weekend but I rarely ever do. (dang family commitments...) However,  if I can't get out fishing on Saturday I know I can always get out on Sunday.

I am just saying...
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 09:33:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c
They've been talking. They just havent been saying what you want to hear. What would lead you to believe that their position has in any way changed? Im not saying it has or hasnt, as I have no idea, though I have seen nothing to indicate that it has. Participation in further talks isnt saying much. They have been participating in this from day one, including in these recent 2 hearings/dog pony shows.

I suspect the PFB's core position hasn't changed.  The nature of a round table discussion is to look for common ground to move forward on.   The PFB has had lots of support on many fronts.  It is in their best interest to keep that support while staying true to their mission.  Give and take, if you will.  Time will tell if there will be any give on their part.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 15:04:25 (permalink)
"They do not need Sundays to further reduce the herd if that is their goal.:''

Sure they do. Every unit isnt one large plot of public land like 2g etc. And the goals are extreme. In SOME units the extent of reduction with the current tools that COULD be achieved, already HAS been achieved. This is a progressive program, and it was understood that more ways to kill more deer as it was further reduced would be necessary. Every single thing was NOT implented day 1 or even since. Also dcnr did believe it (sunday hunting) necessary and had listed it as something they believed was needed to address the deer herd. It would also be something a bit more "acceptable" at least short term for hunters as opposed to increased allocations etc.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/19 15:05:04
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 18:02:15 (permalink)
here the results on Sunday hunting from the PFSC spring convention...

Regarding Sunday Hunting and HB 1760: A motion was made to support amending the bill to eliminate the word "shall" from bill and insert the wrod "may". This is in referencee to allowing the PGC to promulgate regulations allowing Sunday hunting.
22 In Favor 5 Opposed 2 Abstentions
IF THIS BILL IS NOT AMENDED, WE WILL OPPOSE IT!!!

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2133
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 18:35:42 (permalink)
I talked to a few of the land owners who allow me to hunt on thier private property. They are NOT for Sunday hunting.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 19:13:29 (permalink)
PFSC Game & Trapping Committee Report 9-18-11

John Klien from USSA discussed HB 1760 the Sunday Hunting bill.

This bill has 22 sponsors.There has been two informational hearings held in the state,the first was held in June at Seven Springs Resort and the second hearing was held this past Thursday Sept.15 in Bath,PA.

John stated that this is a very sensitive and emotional issue.John is asking for the support of the PFSC to get this bill move out of the House and into the Senate.

Joe Neville PGC Information and Education and Coren Jagnow discussed Youth Field Days. There are 75-100 held each year across the state with approximately 10,000 participents.

This program is being refined and brought up to date and will be called Family Field Day.

The goals of this program will be:

Increase retention,reducing lapsing,increase and expand interest,teach new skills and improve existing skills,create mentor opportunities by engaging friends and family.

PGC Deputy Executive Director Matt Hough reported that there was $3.5 million damage from the flood to PGC property in 13 counties.

Loyalsock Game Farm lost 40% of it's pheasants or approx.40,000 birds.

After a prelimanary assessment the game farm will be repaired and rebuilt at it's current location.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) has been found in Northampton County. This sample was collected Aug. 18.

EHD also has been confirmed in captive deer in Northampton County in the vicinity of the wild deer. Additionally, one captive deer in Erie County was confirmed to have died of EHD, based on a sample collected Aug. 13.

The new WCO class will start March 2012. There are 17 vacant district an 2 vacant Supervisor positions right now.

After this class graduates in March 2013 the PGC might run several back to back classes to fill all vacancies.

On Wednesday Sept.28,2011 the PFSC will be participating in the celabration of National Hunting & Fishing Day in the rotundra at the capitol with the PGC and other conservation organizations. Everone will have informational displays setup.

The next Board of Commissioners [BOC] meeting will be held October 3-4,2011 at PGC Headquarters on Elmerton Ave.Harrisburgh.

Respectfully submitted,
Chuck Lombaerde
Chair PFSC Game & Trapping Committee
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 19:36:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

here the results on Sunday hunting from the PFSC spring convention...

Things are gonna get very interesting within the PFSC. 

ridgehunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 19:38:17 (permalink)
.?
post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/09/19 19:43:59
ridgehunter
Expert Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 19:40:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

I talked to a few of the land owners who allow me to hunt on thier private property. They are NOT for Sunday hunting.

As far as I'm concerned those landowner's opinion doesn't count, being that their private property is posted now. 

They can control who and when someone can hunt their property, so they shouldn't have a say in this matter.  It's not all about land/property owners.  What about SGL's, etc..?
post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/09/19 19:41:40
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 21:54:30 (permalink)
Things are gonna get very interesting within the PFSC.

How true... more recent resignations of long-time officers/members, more loss of club membership, of all the individual memberships only about 12 have any in-put in decisions and that is even decreasing majority remain silent on issues... more quarreling, etc..

IMHO things do NOT look good for the PFSC
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 21:57:17 (permalink)
I personally would like to see it. My club is split about 50/50. However if it comes, and it will come slowly if we get it at all. I hope we are all prepared to accept the shortened seasons that sunday hunting will bring.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/19 22:09:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

I hope we are all prepared to accept the shortened seasons that sunday hunting will bring.

Which seasons if Sundays were added to that particular season? 

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2133
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 07:09:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

As far as I'm concerned those landowner's opinion doesn't count, being that their private property is posted now. 

They can control who and when someone can hunt their property, so they shouldn't have a say in this matter.  It's not all about land/property owners.  What about SGL's, etc..?

You do realize people live in and around SGL's? What do you mean, landowners opinions dont count? They do live in PA and probably pay WAY more in taxes than you do. Let me ask you a question. Does your opinion count? and why should it?
That's what is wrong with this country. It's not about the people anymore, it's about political agendas.
ridgehunter
Expert Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 07:39:31 (permalink)
What I am saying is if someone owns let's say 100 acres of property and he has it all posted, Sunday hunting wouldn't change or effect his situation at all.  He has total control of his property therefore his opinion shouldn't matter.

Why should we not be allowed to hunt on SGL's on Sunday?  We paid for it.  Hunting SGL's on Sunday wouldn't effect any landowner in any way, shape or form.

post edited by ridgehunter - 2011/09/20 07:49:06
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 07:39:51 (permalink)

Regarding Sunday Hunting and HB 1760: A motion was made to support amending the bill to eliminate the word "shall" from bill and insert the wrod "may". This is in referencee to allowing the PGC to promulgate regulations allowing Sunday hunting.
22 In Favor 5 Opposed 2 Abstentions
IF THIS BILL IS NOT AMENDED, WE WILL OPPOSE IT!!!

The question is if the bill was ammended with "may" inserted for "shall" would the PFSC support it and is that okay with its membership?  By stating that they oppose HB1760 and asking for an ammendment, the implication is if the bill is ammended as suggested, they would support it.  

I do not believe that the intent of HB1760 changes by changing "shall" to "may".  Shall only mandates that the PGC address the regulatory transfer which is easily accomplished with [ All the commission has to say is “there shall be no Sunday hunting except for foxes and Coyotes”. ] 

I see the PFSC really entering into a sticky situation be playing to different constituants with opposing views.  As I said before, and you confrimed, rough road ahead for them.
post edited by dpms - 2011/09/20 08:03:45

snydje
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 15:30:11 (permalink)
Wayne,

The herd has been significantly reduced in many units already without Sunday Hunting. Antler-less seasons have had extra days added and taken away in every unit (without Sunday hunting) The game commission can add extra weeks and even months if they want (Special reg units).

If their goal is to further reduce the deer herd please don't think adding Sundays is the only way possible to accomplish that. They can and have  added other high participation days to the antler-less season.

Bottom line... adding Sunday is not going to change their deer reduction goals.  If the PGC wants to reduce the herd more they can, Sunday hunting or not. I think we are making a mistake combining the removal of the ban on Sunday hunting and the deer reduction policies currently in place.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 15:48:59 (permalink)
"Wayne,

The herd has been significantly reduced in many units already without Sunday Hunting. Antler-less seasons have had extra days added and taken away in every unit (without Sunday hunting) The game commission can add extra weeks and even months if they want (Special reg units)."

Hunters in many if not most units are only gonna go so far, and while that still may be TOO FAR, it may well fall far short of pgcs intentions. But, many simply are gonna not shoot does in areas that have been reduced to the extreme, and if pgc wants to go further they have to find ways to get more tags and opportunity into the hands of the willing. Thats not to say that the herd hasnt been taken lower than should be the case or anywhere else will not be in the future. The key for the them is to get more tags and opportunity into the hands of those willing to harvest does as many and as long as pgc deems necessary.

And also as i stated, many areas are not all public lands. 2G was easily raped for obvious reasons. And as for going the route of the sras, most dont have a problem with some reduction in the sras because they are urban, and at least there is an excuse for it. On the other hand there are NO EXCUSES to further reduce the herd in most other areas. If they want less deer for extreme biodiversity and timber interests, there is no legit excuses and they could not withstand the counter political pressures. I really wish pgc WOULD go to something so extreme...basically unlimited tags across that board, because that would be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Pgc and there agenda would be finished. They have to be and are concerned with damage control and pr to SOME extent..

"If their goal is to further reduce the deer herd please don't think adding Sundays is the only way possible to accomplish that."

I disagree. This isnt about simply trimming a little here or there. This is about extremism and taking the herd far below cc. To meet those goals sunday hunting is very important piece of their puzzle and in other aspects the sunday hunting option is actually giving many of us exactly what we have long wanted. Careful what you wish for fits here I believe. Dcnr has asked for sunday hunting to be implemented specifically to address the deer herd. And we all know how they love deer.

"Bottom line... adding Sunday is not going to change their deer reduction goals."

But it will help ensure that they are met, or at least come closer to being met, and in a faster manner. Pgc simply cannot reduce the herd to ridiculously low levels across the entire state (see previous deer density goals) without adding more opportunities than currently. They can keep the herd around where its at, and possibly even reduce SOME areas somewhat further. But again, the goals will require extremes. They have private lands, a portion of unwilling hunters and politicians bombarded with complaints from hunters already as it is to overcome. Their goals cant be reached by only adding another 10k tags per unit. Take a unit like say for example 2a.... They can reduce the herd-- and have to levels below carrying capacity of the land. But they will NEVER get the numbers to the ridiculously asnine 10 or12 dpsm as was the previous absurd ridiculous goal stated previously. NEVER happen. But if they add every kid from fresh from the womb on up as they have being able to shoot does + sunday hunting + what is now basically unlimited tags + who knows what else in the near future, they can certainly head alot further in that direction. I have no interest in helping them here, or anywhere else with their ridiculousness. That is why i support NOTHING currently that will kill more does to further the environmentalist agenda. There are changes i would love to see happen, but just cant support right now... Sunday hunting is one of them. But not right now. Not with irrational irresponsible people steering the ship in an obtuse direction.

"I think we are making a mistake combining the removal of the ban on Sunday hunting and the deer reduction policies currently in place"

And i think we are making a mistake by not. We have not had sunday hunting for over a hundred years. We managed to become the state with the most hunters in the nation. While sunday hunting would be nice, the #1 problem facing the hunters of Pa today is an environmentalist derived antideer agenda. Well documented and should not be permitted to continue, let alone fed.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/09/20 16:39:18
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/20 16:25:07 (permalink)
"I see the PFSC really entering into a sticky situation be playing to different constituants with opposing views. As I said before, and you confrimed, rough road ahead for them."

Pennfed is simply doing what Pennfed does. Everyone knows pennfed is nothing more than a pgc yes man organization. More environmetalists, forestry, pgc & dcnr folks than actual hunters having a say there. They realize fully how important sunday hunting is to the pgc and dcnr deerplan/ agenda and is exactly why they took a stance on sunday hunting despite the support from membership being split so closely, and knew it was a very contentious issue with some of their membership. They have proven in the past that all they care about is supporting pgc and their agenda. They showed this clearly when they took the wildly umpopular with sportsmen stance of strongly supporting the deer program and all its particulars. It cost them upwards of 30,000 members just in recent years in the process. They also just NOW came out in suppport of sunday hunting because pgc just NOW wants it. Penn Fed did not lobby for sunday hunting in recent years until now. In fact they said in 2003 that there was little interest for it within the organization.

I dont have as big a problem with them supporting it, as I do with their motives for supporting it. Just as the case is at pgc.

Its a real shame we have no real organized statewide hunter representation in this state. One that when they made statements of support, they actually cared about those they supposedly represent.

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 07:34:26 (permalink)

YEP I had them all backwards in my notes... THANKS for the correction Wayne...

Was there simple math involved?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 11:11:59 (permalink)

I hope we are all prepared to accept the shortened seasons that sunday hunting will bring.

ORIGINAL: dpms

I do believe that IF the pgc gains the right to regulate sunday hunting, and IF they do decide to institute it for certain species, it will be a slow process as they have said.

With that, if for example a sunday was added to rifle season eventually, I could see that shortening the season considerably depending on when it was done.

If we added 5 sundays in archery season, I could see up to a two week reduction in the length of archery season.

IF the pgc is simply managing by the numbers and truly has a target harvest for each season, then reduction in season length would counteract the added pressure and harvest of adding sundays.

I personally would give up the 2nd and 3rd weeks of archery in exchange for sundays.

I would give up a week of rifle season to have rifle start on the saturday after thanksgiving and run sat, sun, .....through the following sat.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Second hearing on Sunday hunting tonight 2011/09/21 11:27:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpms

I do believe that IF the pgc gains the right to regulate sunday hunting, and IF they do decide to institute it for certain species, it will be a slow process as they have said.

With that, if for example a sunday was added to rifle season eventually, I could see that shortening the season considerably depending on when it was done.

If we added 5 sundays in archery season, I could see up to a two week reduction in the length of archery season.

IF the pgc is simply managing by the numbers and truly has a target harvest for each season, then reduction in season length would counteract the added pressure and harvest of adding sundays.

I personally would give up the 2nd and 3rd weeks of archery in exchange for sundays.

I would give up a week of rifle season to have rifle start on the saturday after thanksgiving and run sat, sun, .....through the following sat.

Or with the addition of Sundays, seasons could start on the same "date" every year, irrespective of what day that happens to be, and run for a consistent number of days each year.  As an example, rifle deer season opens on December 1 and runs for 10 consecutive days -- every year.  Archery starts on October 1 every year and runs for X number of consecutive days -- every year.  The general small game season opens November 1 every year and runs for X number of consecutive days -- every year.  And so on and so forth.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to: