Safety Zone signs

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 23:59:48 (permalink)
it's illegal to enter a safety zone... Entry alone is a violation... then you would have me fined by the PGC for just being there... then it became walking thru is illegal .. then it was no you have to be distrubing wildlife .. then the BS about a township road... ... etc.. etc.. etc..

Show me the entire quote where I said as you claim. The entire quote and post not picked apart like you usally do.Who do you fight with when your not on here?

1.it's illegal to enter a safety zone...
2.Entry alone is a violation...
3.then you would have me fined by the PGC for just being there...
4.then it was no you have to be distrubing wildlife ..
5.then the BS about a township road...

frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 01:02:44 (permalink)
Here's another situation and question on the safety zone issue...

I was hunting a swamp for ducks, and when I got to the ramp there was a wco waiting for me and my buddy.  He said that a person had called saying we were hunting in a safety zone.  I had my range finder (always carry it with me just to make sure I'm not in a safety zone) and the house was 220 yds.  We were set up shooting in the opposite direction of the house as well (no shooting into a safety zone).  The wco had me take him back to the spot we were at, which I took him exactly to where we were, knowing we were out of the safety zone (you could see the pushed down grasses and the holes from the chairs).  When he ranged the distance he ranged it to the guys shed which was luckily 152yds. 

Now my question...

It states an occupied dwelling, so is a shed considered an occupied dwelling?  By definition a dwelling is a building or place of shelter to live in; place of residence; abode; home.

Therefore, a shed would not be an occupied dwelling, by definition, and if that shed would have been within 150yds of me and my buddy, would the fine have held up?

Also, with the renting situation...

What if you have permission from the land owner who is also the landlord?  Do you need to get permission from each renter in the building?

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 01:19:45 (permalink)
I believe your answer is yes and yes. I believe that a shed or any building is considered a dwelling and you must be 150 yds from it with a gun rather it's occupied or not because the safety concern is it could be. And the the other I believe you must get permission from the occupants in the house rather they own it or are the renters. The renter who has signed the lease is who you get permission from. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone else ?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 09:20:10 (permalink)
Just so I am following along correctly -- "disturbing" game in a safety zone (aside from the delineated term "hunting" since it stands alone in the sentence) equates to entering the safety zone in order to disturb the game enough to have it possibly depart the safety zone, more than likely toward someone hunting outside of the safety zone.  In other words, entering a safety zone, probably unarmed, in an effort to "drive" game from the safety zone into a huntable area.  Right?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 10:36:40 (permalink)
However by true definition of dwelling, a shed would not be classified as such.  If they want it as any building, they should change the terminology to state and possibly occupied building then.  The definition I posted of dwelling is straight from the dictionary.

This is what I can't stand with the pgc, they make everything so grey that they leave it up to each individual wco to make a judgement call. 

As far as the renting situation, your saying I would need to get permission from each tenant rather than just the one that owns everything?

Again that grey area...This situation happened to me a few years back, and once I told the wco that arrived that I had permission from the owner, he ranged everything else around except the apartment building that was just over 100yds away (we were shooting in the opposite direction which was the only way to shoot and not be shooting into safety zones).

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 12:03:16 (permalink)
I get asked about occupied dwellings etc all the time at the club.. remember the digest is just a summary.. here is the code..

(c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center

A shed would thus be a building used by the occupants.. and a person could be inside it at any given time

notice in the bold the words, suddenly occupied is not there.. they are buildings.. just like the camp that no one is at .. it is not abandoned, people occupy it.. so it's my understanding that occupied mean people at some time are there living there or staying there..

the fact they are "not home" (occupied at the time) does not change the fact it is a safety zone....

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/10 12:07:44
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 12:40:35 (permalink)
I think he meant more like a shed out back for storing tools and such.

Not a building that one would ever sleep in.

I would have to say to be safe all buildings would count, if your in the shed getting a tool it would at least be occupied while you were there...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 12:45:03 (permalink)
Are you calling Doc a Tool?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 12:55:38 (permalink)
No Sir, name calling is not allowed on this board.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 15:39:45 (permalink)
This is what I can't stand with the pgc, they make everything so grey that they leave it up to each individual wco to make a judgement call.

yep...
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 16:08:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

No Sir, name calling is not allowed on this board.....

What about pointing out the obvious?

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/10 16:11:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I get asked about occupied dwellings etc all the time at the club.. remember the digest is just a summary.. here is the code..

(c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center

A shed would thus be a building used by the occupants.. and a person could be inside it at any given time

notice in the bold the words, suddenly occupied is not there.. they are buildings.. just like the camp that no one is at .. it is not abandoned, people occupy it.. so it's my understanding that occupied mean people at some time are there living there or staying there..

the fact they are "not home" (occupied at the time) does not change the fact it is a safety zone....

Now, don't have a stroke, but I agree with you.

I see no reason to push any safety zone area by hunting near it.  That may be because there are none near where I hunt, so I don't need to deal with them, but being that close to a building of any sort would make me uncomfortable.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: