Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
olgerman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 159
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/08 08:36:30 (permalink)

Safety Zone signs

Just moved into Beaver County in January. Spotted several turkey hunters in the woods next to the house--WAY too close. Rather than post the property, I decided to just put up safety zone signs. However, when I called the PGC office, they said that they no longer supply the signs. Any idea where to get them? I tried Gander, Tractor Supply and several local hardware stores. Any help appreciated. Thanks

71 Replies Related Threads

RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 09:05:15 (permalink)
    If you own fifty acres or more and don’t want to post the property you should talk to the local WCO about enrolling the property in one of the public access programs. If you are in one of the public access programs the Game Commission can legally provide the signs you need.

Most hardware store or farm supply stores can get safety zone signs but you could also make some by simply generating them on you computer, laminating them and posting them within 150 yards of your home or other buildings. Actually a safety zone doesn’t need to be posted with signs for it to be illegal to hunt within the safety zone. If you are having problems with hunters within your safety zone call the Game Commission back and ask the local WCO to contact you concerning the matter.
     R.S. Bodenhorn   
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 11:58:51 (permalink)
    We have also had some safety zone issues in the past few years and would like to throw a few signs up this year.  Why random people think it is ok to sit 40 yards over the hill from the house (and neighbors) with a slug gun is beyond me.   

Do you know if the signs available from the hardware stores bear the PGC name on them like others I have seen?  I believe that the "official" signs would be a much more effective deterant.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 13:50:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

We have also had some safety zone issues in the past few years and would like to throw a few signs up this year.  Why random people think it is ok to sit 40 yards over the hill from the house (and neighbors) with a slug gun is beyond me.   

Do you know if the signs available from the hardware stores bear the PGC name on them like others I have seen?  I believe that the "official" signs would be a much more effective deterant.

The signs you get from the hardware will not have the Game Commission logo on them but they have just as much meaning and validity. To legally get the signs from the Game Commission one has to have their property enrolled in one of the Game Commission public access programs.

Safety zone signs are really nothing more than a courtesy to the hunters that might be approaching from a direction where they wouldn’t see or otherwise be aware they are approaching a building. All other situations shouldn’t need a sign since hunters are supposed to know better than to hunt, shoot, trap or even disturb wildlife within 150 yards of a building without first getting permission from the occupants.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 14:25:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the property does not meet to size requirements. Probably the best thing is to simply post it all off limits.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 16:51:16 (permalink)
    Have a friend in 2F that owns 11 acres that borders the game lands. Hunters would travel into the private property from the game lands not knowing about the occupied buildings till they were in sight. Asked the PGC for signs but got the same answer, they don't supply signs. The owner posted the property with no access into the gamelands.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 17:01:06 (permalink)
    Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated.

I agree that the signs are nothing more than a courtesy, but unfortunately to many hunters that seems to be a foreign word.  The area I am referring to is in a housing plan and all occupied dwellings are clearly visible, yet some people still insist on getting right up in the backyard.

Next time I will not waste my breath and just contact the local WCO.   
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 17:14:57 (permalink)
    Got a question. If an occupied dwelling sits 50 yards off a twp road, is the property across the road (remaining 100 yards still considered a safety zone. Doe the person owning the dwelling have the say if anyone can enter the 100 yards of property across the road? RSB ?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 19:12:03 (permalink)
    150 yards is 150 yards....

If the dwelling owner does not own the land across the road he can not keep people from being there..

BUT if they are hunting without his permission within his safety zone..then he can report them for breaking the law because they are still within his saftey zone... my neighbor can not hunt within 150 yards of my places even though it may be his property... same as no one can not hunt the SGL(which are not mine) if they are within the safety zones of my buildings without permission from me
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 19:20:21 (permalink)
    same as no one can not hunt the SGL(which are not mine) if they are within the safety zones of my buildings without permission from me
    I asume when you say hunt you mean enter loaded gun or not ? Is this true RSB ? What if a twp road separates the two properties ?
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 19:25:34 (permalink)
    Is there a 50 yard saftey zone for archery?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 19:28:39 (permalink)
    I would say carrying a loaded gun would be considered hunting wouldn't you ???...

wearing flo orange would be another tip they were hunting...

Why do you think a road would make a difference in the 150 yards .. just because you can not shoot across one ???

The safety zone rule states HUNT within 150 yards...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/08 19:31:15
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 19:32:58 (permalink)
    psu.. yes for archery it was changed to 50 yards - but you still need owner's permission...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 20:01:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

I would say carrying a loaded gun would be considered hunting wouldn't you ???...

wearing flo orange would be another tip they were hunting...

Why do you think a road would make a difference in the 150 yards .. just because you can not shoot across one ???

The safety zone rule states HUNT within 150 yards...

Your really starting to act your age, your 11 right ?

Appeaantly you don't understand exactly what a saftey zone is or how it's unlawful to enter such. One does not need to carry a loaded or unloaded gun or wear FO or not wear FO. Entry alone is a violation.

It is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.

So then walking through a saftey zone would be a violation as one could be "disturbing" or "pursuing"...

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.
    (b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 20:03:07 (permalink)

psu.. yes for archery it was changed to 50 yards - but you still need owner's permission...

With owners permission you could hunt off of their porch !
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 22:05:41 (permalink)

Entry alone is a violation.

So then walking through a saftey zone would be a violation as one could be "disturbing" or "pursuing"...

BULL === any 11 year old can read the definition of hunting, trapping etc and then see the safety zone law says nothing about entering or walking within a safety zone...

you have to be hunting by the definition of hunting...

It may be tresspassing but if the person was not hunting (by definition) he would NOT be violating any safety zone law just by being there

How much time do you spend coming up with these stupid made-up situations
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/08 22:11:29
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 22:10:25 (permalink)
    With owners permission you could hunt off of their porch !

That was NOT my point in mentioning owners permission....

There is not alot of places you can be within 50 yards of a dwelling and not be trespassing...

I did not want anyone to think that they could just go to within 50 yards of a dwelling and be legal ...

but I should have known you'd find a way to make it look more difficult to understand than it was ..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/08 22:12:36
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 22:36:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Got a question. If an occupied dwelling sits 50 yards off a twp road, is the property across the road (remaining 100 yards still considered a safety zone. Doe the person owning the dwelling have the say if anyone can enter the 100 yards of property across the road? RSB ?

It would be illegal to be hunting or disturbing wildlife within 150 yards of a persons occupied building even if the they owned the property or it was separated by a road or other obstacle without the advance permission of the person who lived in the buildings.

The safety zone for archers though is only 50 yards instead of 150 yards.

If you rented a house and owned all the property around it you could be charged with hunting a safety zone on your own property unless you had permission from the renters, even though I doubt there are many if any such instances of such occurrence.

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 22:47:50 (permalink)
    WOW.. did not know that about renters... THANKS....
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 23:02:19 (permalink)
    Thanks RSB

As to Trouts reply it is quite clear that hunting and or disturbing wildlife are to different things. One can disturb wildlife with out hunting.Just walking through a saftey zone and disturbing "any" wilflife and your in violation Trout. Both are a violation of the game code when entering a safety zone without the owners permission.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/08/08 23:08:40
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 23:12:26 (permalink)
    Let me get this right OA...

you trying to tell me if I walk on my neighbors property tomorrow within a 150 yards of his house and accidently "jump" (disturb) a bedded deer while walking thru I have broken a safety zone law and could be arrested...

that's is really funny --- I'd love to meet the WCO that would try to make that stand up in a court of law ..

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/08 23:15:53
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 23:19:42 (permalink)
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/08/08 23:21:08
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/08 23:22:00 (permalink)

you trying to tell me if I walk on my neighbors property tomorrow within a 150 yards of his house and accidently "jump" (disturb) a bedded deer while walking thru I have broken a safety zone law and could be arrested...

that's is really funny --- I'd love to meet the WCO that would try to make that stand up in a court of law ..

Put this way trout. You walk through my property where it is posted with safety zone signs at "any" time and your PGC tattoo would not save your butt from being fined.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 08:57:51 (permalink)
    I may be fined for trespassing but not a safety zone violation unless I was found to have been HUNTING !!!!!

Why do you not understand the difference ?????

The PGC could not fine me for anything if I was not hunting... .. you'd have to call the PSP

and I already said that ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/08/09 09:06:30
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 10:26:32 (permalink)

you trying to tell me if I walk on my neighbors property tomorrow within a 150 yards of his house and accidently "jump" a bedded deer...

Now I know why you prefer does!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 10:27:33 (permalink)

I'd love to meet the WCO that would try to make that stand up...

You're sick.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 10:29:12 (permalink)
    Now before your undergarment wads...I was kidding Doc.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 10:45:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

If you own fifty acres or more and don’t want to post the property you should talk to the local WCO about enrolling the property in one of the public access programs. If you are in one of the public access programs the Game Commission can legally provide the signs you need.

Most hardware store or farm supply stores can get safety zone signs but you could also make some by simply generating them on you computer, laminating them and posting them within 150 yards of your home or other buildings. Actually a safety zone doesn’t need to be posted with signs for it to be illegal to hunt within the safety zone. If you are having problems with hunters within your safety zone call the Game Commission back and ask the local WCO to contact you concerning the matter.
     R.S. Bodenhorn   

Serious question -- I have heard of the public access program, but know nothing about it.  If enrolled, does the PGC list your property on its website as a place to hunt and must you permit anyone to hunt there?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 11:53:31 (permalink)
    The Pennsylvania Game Commission's Cooperative Safety Zone Program is aimed toward providing a better landowner-hunter relationship and improved hunting conditions at a time when residential and industrial development and farm consolidation annually chip away at available hunting territory. Thousands of acres are lost annually. Losses are even occurring on State Game Lands as homebuilders erect dwellings near borders, effectively making segments of State Game Lands closed to hunting.

The primary intent of the more than 50-year-old Cooperative Public Safety Zone Program is to heighten safety zone awareness and provide better protection to farm residents and their properties. It is hoped that the added security this program provides through visibly unmistakable warning signage will encourage more landowners who currently close their lands to hunting and/or trapping to reconsider.

At present, thousands of Pennsylvanians are participating in this program. Their farms and properties, located in nearly every county of the state, comprise more than 1.1 million acres. The program has been attracting cooperators since its inception in 1954. Many are drawn to it because of the program's benefits and the peace of mind it provides.

To become a Safety Zone Program cooperator, the owner or person in legal control of a farm, containing a minimum of 50 acres, executes a simple agreement with the Game Commission. This agreement may be cancelled upon 60 days written notice.

Hunting for or disturbing game, or discharging firearms within 150 yards of occupied dwellings or other farm buildings is unlawful except by specific permission of the landowner or tenant. The cooperating farmer erects Safety Zone posters which are supplied free of charge by the Game Commission, through the local Wildlife Conservation Officer (WCO). These signs must be erected not more than 150 yards from farm buildings. The penalty for violating the Safety Zone Law is determined by the magistrate and includes costs of prosecution.

The farm, with the exception of the established Safety Zone, must be open to lawful public hunting. The landowner or tenant may hunt within the Safety Zone and may grant permission to others to do so. Local WCOs will occasionally patrol roads adjacent to your land to ensure individuals who enter your property obey laws and regulations.

The Pennsylvania Landowner Liability Act limits landowner liability toward individuals who enter their property for recreational purposes. The State of Pennsylvania encourages landowners to make their property available to the public for recreational purposes such as hunting and trapping, and to enjoy the benefits these cooperative arrangements can provide.

The Game Commission has strived to create programs that reinforce the important relationship between hunters and farmers for more than 70 years, because the agency has always recognized that the future of hunting depends upon ethical behavior of its participants. When hunters demonstrate respect to landowners and their property, they get an additional places to hunt, and landowners have someone to help them manage game populations.

Further information on the Cooperative Public Safety Zone Program may be obtained from Game Commission field officers, six region offices or the Bureau of Land Management at the Harrisburg headquarters.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Safety Zone signs 2011/08/09 11:53:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DarDys

Serious question -- I have heard of the public access program, but know nothing about it.  If enrolled, does the PGC list your property on its website as a place to hunt and must you permit anyone to hunt there?

The PGC has maps on their website that has orange dots that designate public access cooperators.  These dots are located in the general area of the cooperator.  No address or phone number is listed.  Also listed is what species the cooperator allows hunting for.

One must drive around and look for a PGC safety zone or PGC cooperator sign to find the exact property.  From there permission must be asked with the landowner retaining the right to grant or deny permission to the individual asking.

I hunt two different famrs enrolled in the program.  One allows anyone that asks to hunt, the other allows only so many to hunt any one year. 
    post edited by dpms - 2011/08/09 11:56:27

My rifle is a black rifle
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: