2011 Hunting Licenses ==

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 09:54:12 (permalink)
+1 sam
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 13:05:36 (permalink)
+1..

In fact I know from visiting the bear check station when it used to be just 4 miles from here that folks do NOT give the right info on what location the bear was shot at ...

deer surveys would probably be no better at getting true and accurate answers...

again.. if folks cared that much they would send in a report cards..

80-90% compliance would give the PGC so much more information .. but that will never happen.. remember it's Pennsylvania. !!!

As long as there is an allocation sysytem for antlerless deer =

MOST GUYS ARE NOT GOING TO REPORT AN ANTLERLESS HARVEST IF THEY THINK EVEN FOR ONE MINUTE - IT MAY COST THEM A TAG FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR BECAUSE OF LESS ALLOCATIONS...

I'm not sure why a guy would not report a buck harvest other than afraid of more hunters coming into his area ???
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 15:24:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

+1..

In fact I know from visiting the bear check station when it used to be just 4 miles from here that folks do NOT give the right info on what location the bear was shot at ...

deer surveys would probably be no better at getting true and accurate answers...

again.. if folks cared that much they would send in a report cards..

80-90% compliance would give the PGC so much more information .. but that will never happen.. remember it's Pennsylvania. !!!

As long as there is an allocation sysytem for antlerless deer =

MOST GUYS ARE NOT GOING TO REPORT AN ANTLERLESS HARVEST IF THEY THINK EVEN FOR ONE MINUTE - IT MAY COST THEM A TAG FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR BECAUSE OF LESS ALLOCATIONS...

I'm not sure why a guy would not report a buck harvest other than afraid of more hunters coming into his area ???

Doc,

Look up, that's a jet airplane in the sky.  We have the technology.   

Whenever a WCO sees a dead deer on a vehicle or at a processor, they would use a handheld inventory scaning device to scan the bar code on the tag.  If the prospective license buyer's answers to the mandatory survey don't jive with the information from the scanned tag (or from the harvest report for that matter), they get the same flag you said you got and No Sale.

Try to think past the horse and buggy.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 15:59:20 (permalink)
There is lots of ways to get accuate information. The PGC could care less. It's their way or the high way.The highway seems to be heading west...
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 18:41:20 (permalink)
question.. how long have you ever stood in line waiting to buy a license....
???

You live in a world that is not the AVERAGE Pa deer hunter's world .. I keep saying that and you keep proving it with your posts...

I can only image the "betching" if I would have taken another 5 minutes or so asking questions on Saturday for example... every now and then some one would give me the wrong information and I had to start all over again.. I thought that was going to lead to a couple fights...

one guy took almost 5 minutes getting his SS# correct and did not have his driver's license or CID# and I lost count of how many gave me the wrong birthday

here's a good example... one guy(standing there by himself) bought 5 licenses.. his, his wife, a son, and 2 daughters... guys in the line were really getting upset... they were #3 in line and it was not going to take just 10 minutes to get to them as they thought... "why did you not bring them along to buy their own licenses ?"

I was lucky == fellow workers told me a few "horror" stories from last year... they told me "JUST WAIT" to the Sat and Sun before rifle season.. if I want to see lines and tempers flaring....

It's just like check stations,... Pa deer hunters are not patient folks.. most do not like standing in line for having their deer checked or answering questions about their harvests.....

It's funny OA does not want anyone to see his name on a camp roster but wants to stand there and answer questions about his hunting info and locations in front of others ....

BTW = I did NOT time the procedure but I would guess it took 5 minutes to process one adult resident license... each added tag would add another minute or two to that.. and that was IF it went thru and to the printer quickly... many times I could tell it made several attempts to get thru to Harrisburg for the final before printing was available...

Also had two that the screen said they already had a license.. I had to call and wait for someone in Harrisburg to answer and correct that situation... one of those took almost 15 minutes all by itself.. and I'm standing there "hanging" and can do nothing -- waiting for someone to answer the phone to free up the computer (void the other license)..... then start that person's applicatioon all over again...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/12 19:28:08
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 19:14:54 (permalink)
FYI ==== for those who have NOT bought a license yet..

PLEASE take a few extra minutes and take last year's license with you and take it out of the holder and give that to the clerk .. he/she immediately has all the info they need CID# and date of birth ... MUCH faster than a driver's license ... even though about 80% of the ones I have done have been by a driver's license...

ALSO.. if you have a senior life time... don't use your driver's license .. use the CID# or SSN#
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 00:20:15 (permalink)

???

You live in a world that is not the AVERAGE Pa deer hunter's world .. I keep saying that and you keep proving it with your posts...

I can only image the "betching" if I would have taken another 5 minutes or so asking questions on Saturday for example... every now and then some one would give me the wrong information and I had to start all over again.. I thought that was going to lead to a couple fights...

one guy took almost 5 minutes getting his SS# correct and did not have his driver's license or CID# and I lost count of how many gave me the wrong birthday

here's a good example... one guy(standing there by himself) bought 5 licenses.. his, his wife, a son, and 2 daughters... guys in the line were really getting upset... they were #3 in line and it was not going to take just 10 minutes to get to them as they thought... "why did you not bring them along to buy their own licenses ?"

I was lucky == fellow workers told me a few "horror" stories from last year... they told me "JUST WAIT" to the Sat and Sun before rifle season.. if I want to see lines and tempers flaring....

It's just like check stations,... Pa deer hunters are not patient folks.. most do not like standing in line for having their deer checked or answering questions about their harvests.....

It's funny OA does not want anyone to see his name on a camp roster but wants to stand there and answer questions about his hunting info and locations in front of others ....

BTW = I did NOT time the procedure but I would guess it took 5 minutes to process one adult resident license... each added tag would add another minute or two to that.. and that was IF it went thru and to the printer quickly... many times I could tell it made several attempts to get thru to Harrisburg for the final before printing was available...

Also had two that the screen said they already had a license.. I had to call and wait for someone in Harrisburg to answer and correct that situation... one of those took almost 15 minutes all by itself.. and I'm standing there "hanging" and can do nothing -- waiting for someone to answer the phone to free up the computer (void the other license)..... then start that person's applicatioon all over again...

First answer is I never stood in line for a general licence in any state. I alway get them early. However a few times I waited till the Friday before bear when they had the hand written tags and had a hard time finding one and when I did there was a line. Now with PALS there is never a shortage. So DT,what's your point? Is being smarter being above or below the average hunter ?

Second, There is lots of ways to gather info from hunters rather that at the sales counter.

QUOTE:"here's a good example... one guy(standing there by himself) bought 5 licenses.. his, his wife, a son, and 2 daughters... guys in the line were really getting upset... they were #3 in line and it was not going to take just 10 minutes to get to them as they thought... "why did you not bring them along to buy their own licenses ?"

Third,Didn't know it was legal to sell a hunting licence other than the one actualy purchacing it. I also thought the applicant to who the licence was sold to was required to sign it in front of the issing angent?

Fourth,I never stood in line at a out of state check station and was always more than glad to give any info required. I would often ask the buissnes owner where most of his deer ckecked where coming from. That info helped me out the following year.

Fifth, As far as rosters goes a CID# is much safer than ones name and address. I hunted with a few L/E guys and they didn't like having their addresses exposed for all to see where they lived.

Sixth, as far as you hanging for 15 minutes while waiting a very slow reponce can't you void the sale and move on to the next customer ?

And finally the last, Can you respond to 6 questions without bashing me or is it just your nature ??????
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 00:34:17 (permalink)

PLEASE take a few extra minutes and take last year's license with you and take it out of the holder and give that to the clerk .. he/she immediately has all the info they need CID# and date of birth ... MUCH faster than a driver's license ... even though about 80% of the ones I have done have been by a driver's license...

ALSO.. if you have a senior life time... don't use your driver's license .. use the CID# or SSN#

A valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle driver's license is the most acceptable form of identification certifying residency.

countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 07:59:33 (permalink)
Dr. Trout, say hypothetically I have a friend or family member's 2010 license, I bring it in and you, or anyone else for that matter, takes the info and prints me out a 2011 license. Do you still check ID for guys that hand you thier old license? Is there anything the computer has that verifies ID like drivers license photo? Just curious how that works. I always just used my drivers license, figured they swipe it and have what they need.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 09:46:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

A valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle driver's license is the most acceptable form of identification certifying residency.

I always use my PA Drivers License. The CID# is the same for the hunting and fishing license, and when you swipe the DL, the database finds your CID# and birthday, so its not the Drivers License that slows down the process, its the operator of the machine
post edited by psu_fish - 2011/07/13 09:47:15
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 13:59:38 (permalink)

???

You can't be serious when you base resistance to system improvement based on the arguement that people will not be happy if they have to wait a few more minutes in line. 

Do you think people are happy when they arrive at a favorite place ot eat and find a line that requires a wait?  Of course not.  Does it stop them from wating?  Sometimes, but mostly not.

Do you think people are happy waiting on hold?  Of course not.  Does it stop them from waiting?  Sometimes, but mostly not.

Do you think people are happy when all the gas pumps are occupied and they have to wait in line until one opens up?  Of course not.  Do they leave and go elsewhere?  Sometimes, but mostly not.

Do you think people are happy when only three of 20 checkout lines are open at the store and they have to wait behind four other shoppers, one of which insists on writing a check, but has to did through their stuff to find a porper ID card?  Of course not.  Do they abandon their cart right in line and go to another store?  Sometimes, but mostly not.

In each of these cases, the consumer has the option of not waiting and not making the purchase.  But they choose to wait.

Waiting is a part of life.  For everyone.

In the case of a hunting license, the purchaser also has options -- 1) wait the few minutes until the mandatory questions are asked and answered; 2) go elsewhere to buy their license where the line may or may not be shorter; 3) shop for their license at some other time ither than the last possible minute; or 4) quit hunting.

Looking logically at the situation, option numer four would be extremely rare.  Option two is possible, but would require longer to leave, locate another agent, drive there, and still possibly have to wait, so that isn't a very viable alternative either.

That leaves option three, use some foresight and plan ahead to buy the license well before the last minute (which is what I did.  I bought mine on the Thursday before so that I wouldn't have to wait "that long" in line, which turned out to be less than 15 minutes.  Of course that  is because I am "specail" and don;t live in the real world, right?  Or perhpas it is because I planned so as to not have along wait.  Leave the personal attack out of it.  Any logical debate does not rely on that.) or option one, wait your turn.

So basically, if someone does not plan and waits until the last minute, they get to wait in line as a penalty for that lack of planning.

BTW, right out of college, I worked at several sporting goods stores and spent hours upon hours filling out the old paper forms for both fishing and hunting license and I believe the wait for that to happen, especially because there were more hunters then, was a whole lot longer than the minute that it took the clerk to scan the bar code on my old license and print me a new one. 

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 20:33:49 (permalink)

PSU ..

I'm not sure what type machine you are using .. the one I used at work has three extra steps if you use a driver's license rather than last years license ......

and there is no scanner to scan the CID# from the license .. I have to type that in ...

so maybe you guys are using some other type machine to process your licenses..
stevepf
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 21:26:39 (permalink)
When I went to get my license I used my drivers license and it came up that i already had a license.They made a phone call and it still said I had one then they tried again and it worked.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
Have A Crappie Day
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 22:44:32 (permalink)
they tried again and it worked

what they (HDQS)actually did was cancel that license you supposedly already had... then the clerk re-did the application...

I have had a total of 5 of those type things happen in the past 3 days of doing licenses.. ??

If I had one complaint about the system it would be we can NOT look at a LIST of the options "all at one time" and pick out the ones the buyer wants......

you get adult, senior, combos, muzzy, archery, bear, youth, youth combo, mentored, migratory bird, bobcat, fisher, furtaker, spring gobbler, etc, etc, etc, ONE AT A TIME .... and we have to choose buy or next for each one then continue to the next one... and right in the middle of this if the buyer gets a migratory bird ( I click on buy) up pops the survey questions ... then back clicking thru the rest of the options

NATURALLY it is better and faster than the old paperwork way though

BTW.. a surprise to me .. only sold 1 furtakers so far ?????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/13 23:00:10
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/13 23:13:25 (permalink)

PSU ..

I'm not sure what type machine you are using .. the one I used at work has three extra steps if you use a driver's license rather than last years license ......

and there is no scanner to scan the CID# from the license .. I have to type that in ...

so maybe you guys are using some other type machine to process your licenses..

The Venango County treasurer's office is using the machine that has a keypad and a slot much like a credit card to run DL's. Plus it has a spool of the yellow paper.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 00:57:15 (permalink)
Hey Dr Trout, still waiting for some answers to post #37
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 08:06:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

In the case of a hunting license, the purchaser also has options -- 1) wait the few minutes until the mandatory questions are asked and answered; 2) go elsewhere to buy their license where the line may or may not be shorter; 3) shop for their license at some other time ither than the last possible minute; or 4) quit hunting.

5) Buy your license online! No lines, no waiting, free replacements.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 08:12:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tull66

ORIGINAL: DarDys

5) Buy your license online! No lines, no waiting, free replacements.

Very true.  Sorry I missed that one.

While I buy my fishing license online, I for some reason prefer to buy my hunting license in person.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 09:09:28 (permalink)
tull has maybe the best idea.. I bought mine on line this year for the first time...

as for OA and his post #37 ==

wasting my time but here goes

1.. your opinion -- I never said anything about who was "smarter"

2..an opiniion.. no question

3..signing . If you READ my post you will see I made everyone sign it that was there

4..no question just your opinion

5..another opinion no question

6..after a certain point you can not void the sale until it is completed without calling to have it voided...

and finally ...there "6 questions" (?) .. no bashing... just pointing out why I did not reply ==

Hey Dr Trout, still waiting for some answers to post #37
tull66
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 10:03:22 (permalink)
I've been buying all my licenses, hunting and fishing, online for years. Last year I popped into Kmart for a bobcat tag...NEVER AGAIN!
post edited by tull66 - 2011/07/14 11:20:18

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
stevepf
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 10:39:54 (permalink)
I usually buy my hunting license in person also.We sometimes buy our fishing license online but this year we had a voucher for ours so we just went to Rt 66 to get them.I think Rt 66 had 2 machines the one to slide your DL and a different one with a larger keyboard.When they had trouble with mine Lee was working on the other machine.

I'm gonna fish more and work less.
Have A Crappie Day
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 11:29:37 (permalink)
one guy(standing there by himself) bought 5 licenses.. his, his wife, a son, and 2 daughters... [/quote

In reply to selling hunting license over the counter to someone that really isn't there, is this a legal practice ? I was under the impression that every license printed out had to be signed in front of the the issuing agent? Also isn't a state ID also required from the applicant? Could I go legally to a store flip out five or so old licenses and get new ones with out the applicant being there or signing the license ?
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 11:44:28 (permalink)

one guy(standing there by himself) bought 5 licenses.. his, his wife, a son, and 2 daughters... [/quote

In reply to selling hunting license over the counter to someone that really isn't there, is this a legal practice ? I was under the impression that every license printed out had to be signed in front of the the issuing agent? Also isn't a state ID also required from the applicant? Could I go legally to a store flip out five or so old licenses and get new ones with out the applicant being there or signing the license ?

Good question.  I always thought, but never looked it up, that one had to be present to buy.  If that's the case that you don't have to be there, great.  I make my wife go along to buy her license and it always ends up costing me extra, typically in the form of a gun for her.  If she doesn't have to be present, I save.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 12:03:41 (permalink)
With the price of fuel why not gather up all the neighbors licenses and buy all at one time ? If it's legal.
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 16:52:58 (permalink)
if you buy it online, do they just mail it to you?
or is there something you can print out, to apply for doe tag immediately?
tull66
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/14 17:19:03 (permalink)
Your license, after you pay is a PDF, which you print out and can save a copy.

snydje
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/15 22:48:15 (permalink)
Buy your fishing license on line. Print a couple of copies. Keep one on trout fishing vest, one in boat, one at camp, etc. (Not sure if it's legal but I'm not telling anyone.)
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/16 02:57:58 (permalink)

With the price of fuel why not gather up all the neighbors licenses and buy all at one time ? If it's legal.

Dr Trout is selling them, you would of thought he would of replied by now if it "was" legal ? One person buying multiple licenses for people other than themselves with out those persons bring present, signing them, or showing resident ID ? HUmmmmmmmm.......... Anyone ??
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/16 09:43:29 (permalink)
I try to avoid answering your questions as much as possible .. they are so silly and anti PGC.. or in the least 90% negative..

but let's try this for fun...

question =

how's this for an answer..

BETTER YET.. save the gas yourself.. gather them all up and sit down in front of your computer and buy them all on line....

you'll still have to pay for them all though

Is it legal.. you tell me.. If ID is mandatory to buy a license..can you show your computer your driver's license ???

Can you sign your license in front of the computer ??

ever hear of common sense ?????

BTW .. I hope you Pirate fans know you can show you hunting license and get a discount on Pirate tickets for certain games and certain outfield seats...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/16 09:44:37
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/16 13:55:14 (permalink)

I try to avoid answering your questions as much as possible .. they are so silly and anti PGC.. or in the least 90% negative..

but let's try this for fun...

question =

how's this for an answer..

BETTER YET.. save the gas yourself.. gather them all up and sit down in front of your computer and buy them all on line....

you'll still have to pay for them all though

Is it legal.. you tell me.. If ID is mandatory to buy a license..can you show your computer your driver's license ???

Can you sign your license in front of the computer ??

ever hear of common sense ?????

BTW .. I hope you Pirate fans know you can show you hunting license and get a discount on Pirate tickets for certain games and certain outfield seats...

We're not talking going online we're talking over the counter. Since you bought up that you are selling them why not ask the expert ? I think I know why you refuse to answer the question.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: