Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/10 13:04:16 (permalink)

2011 Hunting Licenses ==

Well I spent the 1st day of my new job (yesterday) selling 2011 Pa hunting licenses.

I sold almost 200 of them, most of the day I had a line of about 6-8 people..

here are some of my observations for the day..

... had 4 or 5 ladies buying licenses for themselves and their kids.. that was sort of surprising to me...

... sold at least one of every type licenses available... one guy did buy one of everything and spent over $100...

had several adults that spent over a $100 after paying for the "family "tags.

Even had a guy from RSB's area try to buy a licenses and it stopped me saying his rights had been suspended!!!

The "PALS" system worked great for the entire day.. I had to change printer paper .. but other than that it was go. go ..go...

I am often criticized for negative comments I post about PA hunters, it's not that I have anything against hunters, it's just the way I see it and experience it.. so here's my negative comment for today...

I was totally amazed at how many folks handed me there 2010 license and it was NOT SIGNED ..... to be legal it has to be signed in ink....

I made sure everyone I sold was signed right there in front of me.. except for some juniors that were not there the parent bought it.. but I made the adult sign his/her part of the junior license...

I was not surprised by many of the questions about laws that folks were totally wrong on... and also how many did not know 2F had been changed to "buck only the first week"....

and finally I was surprised at how many DID NOT want to answer survey questions that appeared.. ??

all in all a good day and a pleasant experience....

76 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 14:10:57 (permalink)
    Good thing you sold them on a Saturday. Sunday license sales would be against your belief right ? The person who was denied a license could of been denied for multiple reasons and not neccaceraly a game law violation right? Looks like the PGC had a lot of customers this weekend.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 14:48:31 (permalink)
    I don't know about the rest of the state, but I was told that here in Westm'd county that all of the stores in our area were telling people that the PGC system was down most, if not all day today.Also Walmart ran out of paper for thier printer when I was there on Fri. trying to get licenses for my grandkids & didn't know when they would get more. sam
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 14:55:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

I don't know about the rest of the state, but I was told that here in Westm'd county that all of the stores in our area were telling people that the PGC system was down most, if not all day today.Also Walmart ran out of paper for thier printer when I was there on Fri. trying to get licenses for my grandkids & didn't know when they would get more. sam

To my understanding the system went down state wide around 11:30 am and they said it probaly won't be up until aleast 4:00. Seems to me if I remember right the same thing happened last season around this time. PGC system went down and left customers high and dry waiting to get a license.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/07/10 15:14:57
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 15:09:28 (permalink)
    PALS Who manages PALS ? is it a Pennsylvania company ? How much of my licence money goes directly to the Co that manages PALS ?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 15:51:40 (permalink)
    Good thing you sold them on a Saturday. Sunday license sales would be against your belief right

The hardware store is not open on Sunday ...

I can't remember ever being asked if I was against Sunday sales of anything, maybe you can direct me to that statement of being against Sunday sales ?????

BUT chances are = it's just another one of your negative "stalking" comment directed at me...

The person who was denied a license could of been denied for multiple reasons and not necessarily a game law violation right?

I did not and would not say why the computer told me he could not get a license.. all I stated was his privileges had been revoked....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/10 15:56:06
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 15:59:47 (permalink)
    Crappie...

I actually had folks from Brockway say they came to true value after seeing the lines at the wal-mart in DuBois... thought it would be faster...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 16:16:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Good thing you sold them on a Saturday. Sunday license sales would be against your belief right

The hardware store is not open on Sunday ...

I can't remember ever being asked if I was against Sunday sales of anything, maybe you can direct me to that statement of being against Sunday sales ?????

BUT chances are = it's just another one of your negative "stalking" comment directed at me...

The person who was denied a license could of been denied for multiple reasons and not necessarily a game law violation right?

I did not and would not say why the computer told me he could not get a license.. all I stated was his privileges had been revoked....

It was a question DT followed by a question mark (?) that you obviously left out. You crack me up. Does the computer tell the clerk such as yourself why ones hunting privileges have been revoked ? As far as stalking I reply to everyone so don't feel so honored. Care to answer the other post pertaining to the PALs system ??? Enjoy your Sunday.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 16:40:12 (permalink)
    It stated that the applicant's privileges had been suspended and they were to contact a certain phone number in Harrisburg .... not sure what it may or may not say about others.. this was my first experience using the system.. just thought it pretty neat 1st time out I get someone trying to buy one when suspended .. I mean come - on how dumb can some folks be

I will say some of my co-workers had an idea what the trouble was because of knowing some of this guys "friends" .. they said that the PGC "was lookin for" this guy.. having to do with ATVs... but that's hear-say... so who knows...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 17:08:13 (permalink)
    I doubt very much that the reason would be visible to a clerk sailing the license. Could be a lot of reasons for denial. Child support was the PGC excuse for wanting ones SSN years back. I can remember going into several stores and the license book laying on the counter with ones personal info out in view for all to see. I know this was a violation but it happened. Several were turned in but nothing was done. Also when standing in line you got to hear the person ahead of you stating information including SSN. Things have unproved but still has a long way to go. The business owners sitting and watching their income go down the drain waiting for PALs to come back up today wish they still used the hand written license.
    HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 17:15:09 (permalink)
    For the 2011-12 license year, antlerless deer license fees are the same as they have been since 1999, except for the 70-cent transaction fee attached to the purchase of each license and permit, which is paid directly to Active Outdoors, the Nashville-based company that runs Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS). So this company that runs PALS is in nashville no wonder its always down.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 17:58:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HereLilFishy

For the 2011-12 license year, antlerless deer license fees are the same as they have been since 1999, except for the 70-cent transaction fee attached to the purchase of each license and permit, which is paid directly to Active Outdoors, the Nashville-based company that runs Pennsylvania Automated License System (PALS). So this company that runs PALS is in nashville no wonder its always down.

Wow, kinda what I thought. $469000.00 (rough figure)goes to a company (Atctive Outdoors) in Nashville Tennessee. You hear that Tom Corbett ???
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 18:35:50 (permalink)
    So what's your point? This company developed, and almost cetainly copyrighted and licensed the programming/software. They also provide the servers, and hardware, and most likely are responsible for the maintenance of such. It's almost guaranteed to be far more cost effective than the state trying to provide that themselves.

Now if your point is "Why not a Penna. company?". You go back to copyright, and licensing.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 18:46:48 (permalink)
    ". Child support was the PGC excuse for wanting ones SSN years back. "

It was NOT an "excuse" on the part of the PGC. It was a factor behind federal & state law which REQUIRES the PGC to collect that information. You don't need an "excuse" for following the law.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2011/07/10 18:58:18

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 19:03:21 (permalink)
    Like most things computer,when it works it's great,when it doesn't it sucks. Also I would have thought that they would have fixed the problem with the licenses turning brown in the heat by now. The clerk that sold me the license said it is the same. sam
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 20:04:37 (permalink)
    Yep still turns brown and still hard to find a pen that writes on them

The paper the license is printed on is heat sensitive... printer does not use ink to print them out.. that's why they turn brown in the heat and also why it takes a good ball-point pen to write on them...

The PGC also provides all the necessary accessories to run the system to the issuing agents.

And Mr crappie is right about computers... at least once a month windstream crashes and I can not get on the internet.. but that's life in today's tech world...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/07/10 20:06:35
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/10 23:11:47 (permalink)
    Colorado uses the same company.  I have to wonder how many other states do as well.  

Two years in a row there has been problems with high traffic.  That should be a hint to the license purchasers not to wait until the last minute.  That's not an excuse for company, but some forward thinking for those who have interest in repeat frustration.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 00:32:45 (permalink)
    Another thing about the PALS system is that the hunter is charged .70 per license. If one buys regular resident,then archery,then muzzleloader,then bear he is hosed .70 for each license. Thats $2.40 per hunter in some cases. Go and add that to the rough figure I posted earlier and see what comes up. Unreal !!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 00:33:49 (permalink)
    "It was NOT an "excuse" on the part of the PGC. It was a factor behind federal & state law which REQUIRES the PGC to collect that information. You don't need an "excuse" for following the law."

Can you show show me that law Spoon ? What year was it passed and when did the PGC first start to require a SSN?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/07/11 01:01:15
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 01:14:26 (permalink)
    It was a part of the welfare reform act. I couldn't find anything on the PGC site. But the PF&BC site provides an explanation, and responses to common questions.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/ssn.htm

And YES it applies to hunting licenses as well.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 01:58:13 (permalink)
    This is how the the fee rate was established, to meet the projected operating costs. No matter who ran/runs the system, there WILL be operating costs which would be passed on to licensees. 70 cents per transaction, is actually nominal. Ever use your MAC card outside of your bank's network?

With PALS, a small transaction fee (PA House Bill 1109) of $0.70 for
    each license and permit pays for the development and maintenance of all
    point-of-sale applications; specialized point-of-sale equipment; a centralized
    real-time authorization process; database administration and management;
    license system administration features; reporting; electronic
    funds transfers; 24-hour toll-free customer support for license buyers,
    issuing agents and Commission personnel; and the computer and communications
    networks needed to operate the system. Total annual costs
    to the Commission for the PALS system are estimated to be about $1 million
    for each of the next nine fi scal years. This estimate assumes that the
    PFBC will annually sell an estimated 850,000 fi shing licenses and 600,000
    stamps/permits through the system, and that it will incur a transaction cost
    of $0.70 for each of the estimated 1,420,000 transactions.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 02:11:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

This is how the the fee rate was established, to meet the projected operating costs. No matter who ran/runs the system, there WILL be operating costs which would be passed on to licensees. 70 cents per transaction, is actually nominal. Ever use your MAC card outside of your bank's network?

With PALS, a small transaction fee (PA House Bill 1109) of $0.70 for
    each license and permit pays for the development and maintenance of all
    point-of-sale applications; specialized point-of-sale equipment; a centralized
    real-time authorization process; database administration and management;
    license system administration features; reporting; electronic
    funds transfers; 24-hour toll-free customer support for license buyers,
    issuing agents and Commission personnel; and the computer and communications
    networks needed to operate the system. Total annual costs
    to the Commission for the PALS system are estimated to be about $1 million
    for each of the next nine fi scal years. This estimate assumes that the
    PFBC will annually sell an estimated 850,000 fi shing licenses and 600,000
    stamps/permits through the system, and that it will incur a transaction cost
    of $0.70 for each of the estimated 1,420,000 transactions.

Each time a hunter buys his licence he should only be charged .70 and not multible times for each additional tag he buys at the time of purchase. Who also thinks this way ?

Point Of Sale or POS. I know a few store owner today that have other wording for POS.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 02:18:47 (permalink)
    The estimated cost is what it is, and the fee is based spreading that cost per license AND permit. If you want it to be just per license sale, then the fee would be higher for EVERYONE. Not just those who purchase additional permits.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 19:33:13 (permalink)
    I believe it is set up that way because a person DOES NOT have to buy all his licenses (archery, regular, muzzie, bear, migratory bird, etc) at the same time...

A regular license alone will get you 6 pieces of paper....

each additional one ( archery, bear, etc) will average two more

someone has to pay for the computer time, paper, etc for those additional tags... 70 cents sounds like a deal to me....

BTW.... sold about 30 licenses today ... I still had no one who bought a migratory bird license wanting to fill out the survery for migratory birds again...

and people think folks are really interested in telling anybody how or what they hunt or harvest...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 20:42:53 (permalink)

I believe it is set up that way because a person DOES NOT have to buy all his licenses (archery, regular, muzzie, bear, migratory bird, etc) at the same time...

A regular license alone will get you 6 pieces of paper....

each additional one ( archery, bear, etc) will average two more

someone has to pay for the computer time, paper, etc for those additional tags... 70 cents sounds like a deal to me....

BTW.... sold about 30 licenses today ... I still had no one who bought a migratory bird license wanting to fill out the survery for migratory birds again...

and people think folks are really interested in telling anybody how or what they hunt or harvest...

If it was a deer survey I'm betting things would be differnt as far as people wanting to fill one out.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 21:03:10 (permalink)
    I'd be the first to vote that participation would NOT be that great on a deer survey either.

It appears everyone is in a hurry get the license and get out or just not interested ...

no time for surveys... and I don't want them to know --- is what I heard....
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/11 21:03:43 (permalink)
    Got mine on 7-6-2011 to beat the last minute crowd. I will be one of the $100 guys once I get my federal duck stamp and bonus doe tag for 2D

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 03:12:50 (permalink)
    got mine at 130 am this morn. . . what croud? wasent even a line neither and there was a guy there that knew how to do it at walmart. . . wow jackpot
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 07:23:32 (permalink)

I'd be the first to vote that participation would NOT be that great on a deer survey either.

It appears everyone is in a hurry get the license and get out or just not interested ...

no time for surveys... and I don't want them to know --- is what I heard....

That is why if it were implemented it should be MANDATORYto answer all of the questions before you get a license.  You don't answer the questions, you don't get a license.  That ensures participation.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: 2011 Hunting Licenses == 2011/07/12 09:44:24 (permalink)
    When surveys are mandated, the results will be flawed. At least that's how I roll.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: