LockedElk County Game Lands Tour

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 00:50:09 (permalink)
    Personally I enjoy the boards and many of the regular responders as well as the ones like that kid looking to buy a gun. Agree its too bad about 'deer wars' which seem to be  just the same few who apparently have little regard for each others opinions on PA subjects. Guess that's life in many respects though--hard opinions on subjects concerning our sports. Same thing would happen in a Club or Gin Mill- don't makem bad people - just very opinionated.
  My biggest concern is that  nobody else gets on from other places,  even though these two Forums are not designated to a particular State as others are. There is a good deal of usable info that is discussed that applies no matter where you hunt.
   Can only hope that its NOT because of 'the fight' and that others simply don't choose to participate. It surprises me cause PA does have its own boards and these two seem titled for ALL hunters.
  Started a 'non argument' thread a few weeks back that had decent posts and respectable readership and never got into arguing-so it can happen.
    It would stand to reason though that if a guy started a post that quickly turned into others having a war about something only thinly related he might just not return after a while.

BTW--If somebody wants to have a tour -why not?  Doing 'public relations' and such is part of the job. We did it at my LE place all the time- part of the deal.
  Also---If that tall scrub was inside a non deer occupied fence and the low stuff was outside--POINT MADE.
   (unfortunately for me my whole place in Upstate NY all looks like the high side)
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/02 00:59:11
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 07:41:51 (permalink)
Agree its too bad about 'deer wars' which seem to be  just the same few who apparently have little regard for each others opinions on PA subjects

It is not that some have little regards for the opinions of others that causes the problem. The problem is that some present there opinions as fact and then get defensive when others point out the flaws in their opinions. For example, RSB continues to insist the habitat is controlling the herd in many areas even though all of the evidence shows that the harvests have reduced and controlled the size of the herd statewide .
BTW--If somebody wants to have a tour -why not? Doing 'public relations' and such is part of the job. We did it at my LE place all the time- part of the deal.
Also---If that tall scrub was inside a non deer occupied fence and the low stuff was outside--POINT MADE.
(unfortunately for me my whole place in Upstate NY all looks like the high side)

I have no problem with the PGC conducting tours as long as the information they provide is accurate. Simply comparing the growth in an exclosure to the growth in the surrounding forest is not a fair or accurate representation of the effects of deer on regeneration. unless the goal is to have zero deer. For example, does the PGC point out the fact that the oak seedlings in an exclosure will not survive unless competing vegetation is removed by hand in order to prevent faster growing species from shading out the oaks?
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 08:29:22 (permalink)
Points taken Deer- BTW, do the Oak seedlings survive outside the enclosure ?
   Dont know bout that stuff in PA cause Ct is loaded with Oak everywhere you go. In the Fall we have woods covered in nuts sometimes making it hard to pattern  Deer or Turkey cause they can literally stop anywhere and do just fine. Mature Oak seems to be our dominant tree. So many nuts here that there are carpets of them left in the Spring on windblown spots in the woods.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 08:58:14 (permalink)
Over the years there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of hunters who came to the tours with intent of disproving what the evidence of the habitat and history show as it relates to deer management. Mostly they came to set us dumb Game Commission people straight and proving to the crowds that we really don’t know what is going on.

We see a few like that on every tour. You can pick them out pretty quickly at the first could of habitat example stations by their questions and comments. We always address each question, concern and comment even if all we can say in some cases is that we know the answer. Some of the people that came determined to prove we were wrong left without being totally convinced one way or the other but others felt what they were seeing with their own eyes was very convincing that those leading the tour did have the facts correct after all based on the evidence they were seeing.

Some of those that came with the intent of proving were wrong went on to many other tours around the state, studied the deer/habitat relationships and basically learned to see things they had never noticed while a field in the past. Some of them have become the best advocates and voice of the current deer management program.

That is why some of the biggest detractors refuse to attend a tour and also why they work so hard to undermine the facts provided at the tours. Every time we conduct a tour a few more people get to see the truth and those trying to discredit the deer management objectives lose a few more of these on fence with which side really is correct. That is why some of the posters here have chosen to attack this topic and me. The tours and I are among their most dreaded enemies because it counters the misinformation they are so intent on promoting.
 R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:10:27 (permalink)
"Dont know bout that stuff in PA cause Ct is loaded with Oak everywhere you go. In the Fall we have woods covered in nuts sometimes making it hard to pattern Deer or Turkey cause they can literally stop anywhere and do just fine. Mature Oak seems to be our dominant tree. So many nuts here that"

Same here in many areas retired guy. It not how regeneration is analyzed though. They assess it based on regeneration of seedlings etc. in a manner that is very stringent so as the end result would be a completely unnatural environment that exists nowhere else in the eastern us. You would need to look into the assessment process to understand fully, as well as understand some of the things that actually do effect the regeneration within pa.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:15:09 (permalink)
AMEN RSB... that really tells it like it is... even I was very "upset" that first tour with you as I recall... but it did not take long to figure out I did not really know or understand alot about deer and their impact on habitat and other wildlife.. each tour gave me more info and a desire to learn even more..

It's interesting to hear these nay-sayers who have not been on one of the tours here trying to imply what is and is not discussed on the tour...

never been there but know you guys do not talk about other wildife and small game HOW UNTRUE... for example == I can not remember one single person that was NOT impressed with the porcupine information given.. how many said I did not know that, really ?? I never heard that about them...

I remember another early years tour where the group stood for about 5 minutes listening to hear what we could hear... everyone said NOTHING.... and you guys pointed out where else could we stand and not hear a single bird tweet or chirping.. everyone learned something then about lack of habitat on other wild things... now songs birds singing in the area and nests visable inside the fences in those trees...

beenthere writes ==
For example, does the PGC point out the fact that the oak seedlings in an exclosure will not survive unless competing vegetation is removed by hand in order to prevent faster growing species from shading out the oaks?

I do not remember that being said nor do I know that that statement is entirely true in this area ... It is pointed out that sunlight and time to grow out of a deer's reach are needed for success in growing a mature Oak Tree... and I am not aware of anyone going inside the fences and pruning tree...

Here's a picture of one area where the tour goes inside the fence to see just how many and how well growth with sun (after the clear cut years ago)and little to none deer browsing will provide === also a time to get some tree identifing info .. again it's not all about deer.. it's habitat, deer,bear, small game, history, timber industry, other wildife, wild flowers, etc etc.. everything the PGC is responsible for in this great state....

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 11:30:54
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:24:33 (permalink)
"Over the years there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of hunters who came to the tours with intent of disproving what the evidence of the habitat and history show as it relates to deer management."

News to me. Most that i know that attend are the same few, and already support the plan. Not doubting there may be afew that opposed it, but hundreds or thousands that have "tried to disprove"? Give us a break.

"Mostly they came to set us dumb Game Commission people straight and proving to the crowds that we really don’t know what is going on."

That happens daily on many message boards from what ive seen, and they succeed regularly. Just because you arent willing to own up to it doesnt make it so.

"That is why some of the biggest detractors refuse to attend a tour and also why they work so hard to undermine the facts provided at the tours."
I refuse to attend "tours" because its ridiculous. What makes a diff. if i attend and continue to disagree? It accomplishes absolutely nothing other than wasting a tank of gas, and a couple hours of my life.

"That is why some of the posters here have chosen to attack this topic and me."

No. I didnt attack this topic or you.. I said its a waste of money and resources and it is. then from there..YOU attacked ME. lol As for attacking you, the reason your "views" are attacked by some is because you dont tell the truth on a regular basis. And thats not a "slanderous" mean spirited comment. Ive proven it. As have many others across several boards. You dont own up to anything when proven wrong, and dont even bother to "right" your wrongs, yet continue to preach the same thing anyway in the exact same manner. Thats decietful, and the only reason you get the reactions you do period. Has nothing to do with anyone personal feelings towards you or even you being "the opposition". Its all about how you go about business and nothing more.

"The tours and I are among their most dreaded enemies"

You are trying to make yourself and the tours that bring in a handful of people at a clip important apparently. The "problems" that matter, are on staff at UPPER positions at pgc. They are the problem. The tours are nothing but a fairly harmless symptom of the actual problems.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 11:34:47
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:32:39 (permalink)
"My biggest concern is that nobody else gets on from other places, even though these two Forums are not designated to a particular State as others are. There is a good deal of usable info that is discussed that applies no matter where you hunt.
"

Its the same deal throughout the fishing threads retired guy. The HUGE majority are Pa Guys across the board, and it didnt have a thing to do with the "deer wars". Not familiar with the longer history of the site, but believe it had been or even continues to be called "fisheerie" (or something like that on some links etc.

Actually thats one of the draws of this site for me personally. More interested in "home" state matters, at least on a regular basis. Im also an occaissional reader of some "national" sites, but you dont get nearly as much detailed info stories etc. about the areas you care about most.

"Can only hope that its NOT because of 'the fight' and that others simply don't choose to participate."

Id seen sites where the deer war type discussions were banned due to a few complainers and all that did was drive down overall participation. Drastically.

":BTW--If somebody wants to have a tour -why not? Doing 'public relations' and such is part of the job."

They have been for some time now. And they will most likely continue to. I simply voiced and opinion that ive heard reiterated again and again. They are a waste of money and resources.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 11:38:29
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:35:03 (permalink)
Its okay. Pretty soon it will be Wayne and Deerfly left to attack each other if they want to carry on a discussion. 

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:41:12 (permalink)
LMAO.....

wayne you need to do stand-up comedy... you'd be a "hoot"..

you talk about all these messages. what boards.... ???

not mine.. not the crossbow, not pa bucks, not Dave Wolf's not huntingpa (deer wars are almost a "no-no there anymore)...

I visit about 8 message boards a week.... I see deerly, S-10 or Wyane C posting on none of them with the BS this site allows to be posted...

I hate to ask but to support your supposed "truth" you need to provide a link to all these boards where you guys are proving RSB or the PGC is "so full of it" .. I do not think there is one.. deerfly has been banned from most Pa boards... the management of this site is still allowing it but with more and more complaining I look for the hunting section to be dropped or more censoring and less making every thread about the PGC bashing or the deer program...... just like what has happened on all the others boards you guys do not post on .....

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:50:54 (permalink)
Its okay. Pretty soon it will be Wayne and Deerfly left to attack each other if they want to carry on a discussion.

Yeah. Because we are clearly the problems here.

Its a huge problem when i point out a clear and proven inaccuracy? Is it a big problem when i state my opinion about a pgc practice that i believe to be a wasted of money? Is it justified that from there I get personally attacked for expressing those views???
Thats some pretty distorted logic. I say something that you guys dont agree with....your side belittles me for it...and its MY fault argument has ensued. Brilliant.

Btw, im not whining, because i couldnt care less about the insults etc.. Just countering your half baked claims of exactly where the "problems" lie.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 11:52:02
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 11:52:24 (permalink)
Id seen sites where the deer war type discussions were banned due to a few complainers and all that did was drive down overall participation. Drastically.

well well... he finally shoots himself in the foot....

I hope management reads that statement..

this has been the goal of many of you guys.. join a board see how long you can "do your thing" before "the deer wars and pgc stuff gets closed for discussion and you get tossed.....

less info out there makes you guys think you have helped your own anti-PGC agendas... I don't imagine there's one single administrator that is missing the BS the """few complainers"" caused on their boards... I see NOT ONE SINGLE BOARD THAT CLOSED,

fewer arguement for a good and interesting message boards, less bashing, more info from more people contributing.. all good points that their decisions to put a stop to the deer BS and PGC bashing resulted in ...

so do not be so PROUD of yourself for changing message boards... it does not fair well for your image

It's not about info .. it's a game to you guys.. just a game.... and you just posted the proof.....

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 11:55:14
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:02:40 (permalink)
and less making every thread about the PGC bashing or the deer program

I commented on the deer tours. Dont like it. Tough. From there, it became whatever it became with help from your side. How about you run your little "site" and let others who are responsible and not up pgcs backside run this one or the others where you are not the administrator "K" doc?

This site hardly need your and a few others continual attacks on other posters, mistruths and damage control but i dont whine about you being censored. Guess it all boils down to who is on the side that is more heavily laden with "proof" within the debates i guess.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 12:05:04
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:02:51 (permalink)
  Wayne- in regard to the fishing boards and PA involvement-
    Am   active on the Salmon River Board as I have a place up there in NY to hunt and fish from while residing in CT. Yes there are PA guys on board but also many many others from many other states as well.
   It has to do with the Fishing and therefore is NOT something just reserved ( in that case) for NY guys and is NOT dominated by PA guys- makes no difference whatsoever where one comes from.
Hunting is Hunting and Fishing is Fishing, got nothing whatsoever to do with where you live just where you participate- and YES the local rules and regs have a part but if ya dont like it there are many many places to go where it is to your liking.
Not to say local rules dont often warrant critical intervention but we are talking about participation on a forum and politeness here- not residency.
It would seem that residency- or at least participation in that area - may well apply should a forum occur that is designated for the purpose of those hotly contested local (state) issues but one would think that General Hunting and Big Game hunting on an open board wouldn't be those places.
That said its easy to understand how anyone with hard opinions would take whatever opportunity to voice them. The end result however seems to have become turning anything even remotely close to the contested subject matter - like, out daisy picking--into another place to make the same arguments over and over-even when they pertain to only one State. 
Unfortunately this is the catalyst that seem to have become known as the 'hijacking' of a thread. Too bad cause some things need to be aired and some things are aired to the point of becoming so over stated that some have apparently simply  moved on.
Personally - just a non PA opinion- regional PA boards would seem more appropriate as your hunting is based on regional Deer populations and harvest allotments. Perhaps some mechanism could be approached inthis manner to clear the present boards that ( by the nature of their monikers) seem to have been made for another purpose.
  PA is a big State and I have hunted and fished it quite a bit but there IS a lot more country out there---
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/02 12:23:01
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:08:16 (permalink)
I guess I hit a nerve there wayne ???

truth always hurts when it comes back and smacks one in the face !!!!

Just prove me wrong .. where are the boards that you guys are making RSB, dpms, me or the PGC look like BSers ..

you posted saying they are out there.. you have the "duty" to prove that is true... and it is not a case of what I just posted...

well time for the waders and some trout fishing ...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 12:09:01
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:13:35 (permalink)
"It has to do with the Fishing and therefore is NOT something just reserved ( in that case) for NY guys and is NOT dominated by PA guys- makes no difference whatsoever where one comes from."

Pa boards generally get a higher proportion by far of "Pa guys". Basically this started out as a board popular among Pa residents and there are reasons for it. Also, the fishing forums on this site have TONS of activity and arent effected by "the deer wars" that take place in two threads at the bottom of the site of a FISHING site, out of the the many many other threads.

The fact that the number of Pa hunters + Fishermen probably outnumber those from surrounding states by a pretty wide margin also contributes im sure. Though if i were a fisherman from Ohio, and clicked on this site...immediately saw a bazillion posts about Pa fishing.. And none or very very few about ohio... I probably wouldnt stick around. Short of banning all the Pa guys from the site, i really dont know what your solution could be.

Then again, i dont see a problem. Id agree, that "politeness" should be a bit better, but that works both ways. Both sides of any and all issues need to be willing to make effort. I dont see that as realistic according to recent history here. I also think many LIKE the controvery etc. Ive seen just as many who liked to follow the bickering on these type sites, as there are those offended.

Your salmon river example is a specialized "niche", and one with relatively much less overall interest, though those that are interested come from wide range of locales proportionwise. In other words its popular with the locals, + just as much a draw for just as many nonres. who look to take advantage of a sport that is limited in scope & opportunity.

Compared to just "fishing in general" or hunting.... Most states have their own plethora of opportunities.

To simplify, like comparing apples to grapefruits.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 12:37:16
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:19:08 (permalink)
I guess I hit a nerve there wayne ???

No not at all. Just experessing some thoughts. It takes alot more than that to "hit a nerve". Sorry, if that were your intent, as usual, you failed.

"truth always hurts when it comes back and smacks one in the face !!!!"

Well then, sorry about your face, i guess.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 12:29:08
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:29:18 (permalink)
Over the years there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of hunters who came to the tours with intent of disproving what the evidence of the habitat and history show as it relates to deer management. Mostly they came to set us dumb Game Commission people straight and proving to the crowds that we really don’t know what is going on.

No one could possibly disprove the history of the habitat or the history of the herd based on observations made on a tour, just as the tours do not provide answers regarding how many deer the habitat can support or how much the herd has to be reduced in order to get adequate oak regeneration without fencing.

However, it is easy to prove that the PGC is wrong by using their past claims about the carrying capacity of the habitat, just as I did with the quote from 1974 about what would happen if we ever had 1 M PS deer.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:39:19 (permalink)
I do not remember that being said nor do I know that that statement is entirely true in this area ... It is pointed out that sunlight and time to grow out of a deer's reach are needed for success in growing a mature Oak Tree... and I am not aware of anyone going inside the fences and pruning tree...

Thanks for making my point. That is exactly the time of information that is intentionally omitted from the tours. I obtained the info from a DCNR forester while walking our property and I remember seeing it in a DCNR report , but I don't remember which report it was in.

I remember another early years tour where the group stood for about 5 minutes listening to hear what we could hear... everyone said NOTHING.... and you guys pointed out where else could we stand and not hear a single bird tweet or chirping.. everyone learned something then about lack of habitat on other wild things... now songs birds singing in the area and nests visable inside the fences in those trees...

Not hearing birds is not at all unusual even in an area with a well developed understroy. I have spent many hours on stand without hearing a bird for extended periods and then for some unknown reason, the woods are alive with birds.
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:41:36 (permalink)
  I have only been on this thread for about a year but can recite from memory the arguments and comments that will be made on 'both sides' of the PA  'deer wars' issue pretty much as soon as a thread starts leaning that way.
  It always seems to lead to the same 3 or 4 issues- The past deer numbers and hunter sucess ratios--the present same issues- the interpretation of those issues ( sometimes using cherry picked years for comparison) regardless of outside  pressures like weather- the seedy ultimate goals of the persons making those comparisons  (on each side) - how foolish or manipulative the person on the other side is for making the numbers work 'their way' and ultimately how impossible it is to understand how anyone cannot see the relevance of the writers opinion especially those responsible for establishing said rules.
All that being said I have taken issue with some of the stuff here myself when even as an outsider I have seen things that seemed silly. That however is the condition we could find in any States Game laws anywhere we go. Its not always the  way one individuall sees it or would prefer it to be.
  Saw the same thing with Local State and Federal laws I had to enforce in a career of l/e, not everything is tailor made to all. Gotta get over that stuff and move on- life is too short to have a glass half empty all the time. With a big state there will 'always' be folks who disagree.
Will someone please answer me a simple question - are these General boards or only PA boards - if  PA only please put it on the headers & sorry for the misenterpretation and I'll move on---It has been fun though.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/02 12:51:18
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 12:57:40 (permalink)
"All that being said I have taken issue with some of the stuff here myself when even as an outsider I have seen things that seemed silly. That however is the condition we could find in any States Game laws anywhere we go. Its not always the way one individually sees it or would prefer it to be."

Thats not an accurate view imho. Its not a matter of what any one two or small minority sees problems. This is a huge issue, as big as any in the states history. Its well documented and has lead to lawsuits, forced audits, legisltive interventions, fee increase denials and a whole pethora of other things you wont be seeing ongoing at any one time in say, CT....or any other states for that matter. lol.

"Saw the same thing with Local State and Federal laws I had to enforce in a career of l/e, not everything is tailor made to all."

Funny i never heard of that...Yet you and probably most other connecticut sportsment HAVE heard of the nonsense in Pa. that has been ongoing for a decade. Our situation has been big national news for some time now. It also has very likely will effect future management in some other states.

" Gotta get over that stuff and move on- life is too short to have a glass half empty all the time."

Let it go and with no opposition things would get way worse. I dont expect you to fully understand. As for the glass being "half full" that sentiment is reserved for these conversations where it is appropriate and fits perfectly. I dont go around the rest of my day every day with a chip on my shoulder towards the game commission deer management plan. Its ashame but when discussing these "management issues" there really isnt a whole lot of good to be said. And its not the usual run of the mill stuff that effects ever states management which hunters might not all agree with. It could be stated that we had THAT condition about 10 years ago. Had some grumble there werent enough deer a small minority.... Always a few gripes some legit some not so much. Business as usual. Now its ridiculous. Most hunters arent happy and havent been in awhile. Hunter/pgc relations are horrible. And the deer herd continues to decline. And the direction of allocations etc. is not getting any brighter. The inappropriate stuff is well documented and will continue to be a problem. Im sorry if you dont enjoy reading about it, but it is actually meaningful to some of us Pennsylvanians.

This topic was about "the deer tours" and my initial post was very topic specific. The original poster didnt like my reply so brought into question my views of all the rest.

Though it is all entertwined. There is not a management agency with lower credibility in the nation and thats a fact. And these tours are nothing more than miserably failing attempts to gain more support for an agency that has lost much credibility and a deer plan that is failing miserably. So pretty much most of what has been discussed is on topic despite the repetition.

Yeah, they may be a waste of money, but they waste far more on far more obtuse things....and the sentiment among hunters/public isnt changing anytime soon, for those reasons and more, Im not even that concerned with these "tours" all that much, and only reason ive made as many posts on the topic is due to need to reply to others continually addressing me on it. Otherwise this particular thread wouldve probably been a "one...possibly two at most, and done" for me.

And now that i didnt leave much room for anyone to misunderstand my positions. I am done with it.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 13:27:31
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 13:32:32 (permalink)
WAYNE--this aint personal--see what happens here with the Wars- one or two points and then--hard feelings---
    Lawsuits, audits and legislative questions are run of the mill stuff- As a past L/E and present elected official this stuff happens all the time. Mostly gets thrown out before it ever becomes a  big deal with anyone except the few who made the complaint- they often think they got somewhere even when they didn't. Cause its their cause.
    Just cause nobody in L/E didnt take you under their wing and tell ya they may not agree with a few laws they have to enforce doesn't mean they don't feel that way- it aint on the front page cause its different for different folks. NOT a big deal in any way whatsoever -just the point that it exists. Geeeez- NOT talking about major stuff here.
And NO not everyone in the USA has heard of or probably doesnt care much about PA game laws. You arent the epicenter of the Earth. Which by the way  turnes on its poles and PA aint close-
NOT knocking PA, just the thought process.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/02 13:34:22
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 13:47:33 (permalink)
No "hard feelings" at all towards you, and Ive replied to your concerns in a pm.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/05/02 13:59:24
retired guy
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 14:33:58 (permalink)
PM appreciated and understood. Glad to have it-
Different state examples---
    We all question stuff -especially after a bad year- Im having one right now with Turkey in my area of Ct even though the State as a whole is doing VERY well with population considering past wet cold springs.
  I am the only hunter on over 800 acres ( cant hunt most of it) and still have few birds. Gotta understand the immediate local influence of recent cold and wet spells and suck it up till it changes. Got one gobbler on the Mtn behind me and I wont go after it till there are more. Hopefully in my lifetime.
   As an entire state we are in the position of your most populated Southern areas with high DPSM and high kill opportunities in an effort to control populations ( we can get over a dozen tags a year). Dont know who would  consider filling  even a quarter of those tags - how many can ya eat? Those high numbers - like you guys- are due to much No Hunting Pvt Property.
  But we have guys who claim that too many tags is the reason they don't see many Deer even though the area as a whole is overflowing with DPSM. Sound familiar? But some complainers still try and fill all their tags?
  Most guys will only take one or possibly two deer a year however on one of my properties there are a few guys who take four or five each year- no matter what age or sex they are- They have never taken a nice buck to my knowledge even though I manage a nice one there most every season. They simply shoot the first things they see.
    WELL different strokes-not my cupa tea- but I dont blame the State for the number of tags they give out. When taking Winter walks on the non hunting areas adjoining my hunting area it is clear that there is serious overpopulation happening.
    The biologists have a much different perspective and job that I have. Mine is simply to enjoy a hunt on a certain piece of property and theirs is to manage an entire State- only some of which is open to hunting- and where some guys will try and fill each and every tag opportunity they get and others are more selective. Tough job. Even tougher to make the majority happy.
  As I recall  in Sugar Grove , Warren County PA when hunting with Dads family as a young guy it was one buck a year- period. Then a doe tag during a two day season later in the year. Back then Ct didnt even have a season.
   In Pa it was usual to see 20 or more deer a day (most all flatheads though) and ya could walk and hunt pretty much wherever ya wanted. Thought I was in heaven. Took some nice bucks there over time.
     Huge DPSM that I now know couldn't and apparently didn't last.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/02 14:50:32
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 16:26:21 (permalink)

Rain cut the fishing short.. caught 4 though !!!

This topic was about "the deer tours" and my initial post was very topic specific. The original poster didnt like my reply so brought into question my views of all the rest.

#1 he did not see the habitat part of the title I guess

It's just more of his BSing....

in case he forgot here is his first reply to this thread... when I mentioned I had been on several and thought they were a great learning experience.. and going more than once allows one to see what changes occur from year to year...

You may as well doc, from what ive heard on other message boards from those saying they have attended and plan to again eetc..and the vids ive seen, mostly its just the same 9 or 10 people show up for each one. Seeing as you havent been to one in a year and half, that would qualify you as a new face there.

More of our money wasted unfortunately. These enlightenment attempts arent doing a thing to change public perceptions about much of anything. Nor should they.

As usual TOTALLY negative and filled with his opinions trying to be passed off as factual...

note the "other message boards" reference (he does not know 1st hand) .. then the lie about 9 or 10 folks only attending.. just because there is only 9 or 10 in a photo does not mean that is all that is there.. that's all that was in that particular photo... and the BS about me being a new face..

He has never been on this tour so has no right to try and express any of his personal (agenda based)opinions as to the truth of how many attend or what is discussed there... ...

It's just one of a hundred examples of how he tries to make his personal opinions sound like facts...

I'll let him have the thread for more of his anti PGC BSing now....

The tour is a learning experience for anyone open minded enough to be willing to learn something they may not have know ... and when John does his part after the tour about the HISTORY of deer in this area it is very interesting too..

I'd love to post 20 more photos of those in attendance over the years.. never any 9-10 as Wayne suggests... but it would be like beating a dead horse.. he'll continue to post his opinions and try to get others to believe them as facts...

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 16:26:36 (permalink)
Points taken Deer- BTW, do the Oak seedlings survive outside the enclosure ?

The first question should be whether one should expect oak seedlings to develop outside the exclosure? All the reports I have read state that very few oak seedlings will develop under a closed canopy and the few that do survive will certainly be over browsed and won't develop into commercially valuable trees. Furthermore there is no reason to expect any seedlings that develop in the immediate area of the exclosure, because deer are attracted to the exclosure by all the new growth and therefore over browsing around the perimeter should be expected.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 17:05:49 (permalink)
well I will be more than happy to answer that after this trip.. last trip there were many 3 foot oak saplings growing outside the fences in several areas.. I'll see if they are still growing and let ya know... OKAY ????

Here's one area and you can see there are several Oaks growing....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 17:11:29
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 17:39:53 (permalink)
If there were 3' oak seedlings outside the exclosure, why did they need the exclosure in the first place? Exclosure increase browsing pressure on the surrounding habitat,so are the exclosures doing more harm then good?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 19:06:49 (permalink)
sorry double posted ?????
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 19:11:51
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Elk County Game Lands Tour 2011/05/02 19:08:01 (permalink)
There was nothing growing outside the fences until the herd reduction started taking shape.. well nothing of any value except ferns

but you knew that ... you've been following all the post about RSB's trip for years and have seen all the photos and probably even Dr. Alt's video that was filmed there... I and others have posted many many photos over at huntingpa and on my board showing what is going on within the fences and now outside the fences with fewer deer browsing...

here's one of my pages showing what is going on in my area... and I have plans to add to this showing what it looks like now in 2011...

http://drsems.tripod.com/headwaters.html
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/05/02 19:11:01
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: