LockedAlmost time for the MADDNESS

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/13 22:41:16 (permalink)
i caught 1 on sat morning and this is the 3 from sunday morning. i was pretty excited cause 2 of them were caught on jigs that i just made and painted. it is fun to catch walleye on something you make yourself
post edited by eyeassassin - 2011/03/13 22:46:45

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
walleye wonder7
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/14 21:13:13 (permalink)
nice catch!
im wanting to go down and catch some eyes but is there any open water besides the spillway with the ton of ppl?
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8511
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/14 22:09:18 (permalink)
Very nice! Some smackin lips here!

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/14 23:11:34 (permalink)
Nice feesh..Fire up the deep fryer.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

eyes362
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/15 09:55:54 (permalink)
walleye wonder its all open good luck
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/15 13:51:01 (permalink)
oh bings you know i will. i cant wait till friday cause its eyez for supper

walleye wonder7
New Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/15 21:57:33 (permalink)
is it open up at jamestown and is the entire lake open?
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/16 09:12:50 (permalink)
it was not open when i was up there is weekend but who knows by now

frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/16 15:22:55 (permalink)
The whole lake it not open yet.  There is still a ton of ice on the lake.  I'm thinking with this rain and warmer temps this week, by next week it should all be open.  I don't think it will be open by this weekend, but I could be wrong and we may luck out.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
marliezx7
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 09:00:56 (permalink)
Well I finally got to see what all you folks are talking about..."The Madness" How can you sit there literally shoulder to shoulder, trying to maintain your balance, while jigging a sonar is quite amazing to me. Wait...let me take that back. Let me change that to pathetic. This was on Wednesday. Someone must of got the word to the Commish because a fish cop was there most of the time. One 'angler' fouled an eye by the gill and had the nerve to ask if it was a good catch. Duh I just don't call that fishing!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 10:13:33 (permalink)
that isnt anything go on a saturday and see.  thats not even packed wait till the ppl are waiting in line for hours for a spot

marliezx7
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 16:04:02 (permalink)
Jeez, thats crazy! On a side note....I was jigging a twister about 75 yards down from the spillway and lost an appx 20" eye at the shoreline. Got my lines tangled and lost it. Then lost what felt like a 5 pounder about 10 feet from shore. Guess I need to sharpen my points
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 16:31:50 (permalink)
or use alittle bit smaller of a twister tail so that more of the hook is showing

sunfishhunter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 21:06:34 (permalink)
It's kind of like that game at Kennywood, where the kids pay a buck and get to snag 3 plastic fish while they get sucked around a circular pool.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3427
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/18 21:27:33 (permalink)
Ghey..... Just sayin'..........
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 17:07:20 (permalink)
I'm not here for an argument but I want to just pose a question. How do you guys feel this is any different than using your fish finder on your boat and then sitting over the fish and jigging????.......READY........GO!!!!!
musthuntmusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 201
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 17:09:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pensfan1

Ghey..... Just sayin'..........

lol
pensfan1
Pro Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 18:24:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

I'm not here for an argument but I want to just pose a question. How do you guys feel this is any different than using your fish finder on your boat and then sitting over the fish and jigging????.......READY........GO!!!!!

Ok I'll bite........ You cant even begin to try to compare boat fishing on an open lake to the farse that is considered fishing at the spillway. Not to mention the fact that it's ACTUALLY on top of each other. Usually thats just a figure of speech. Plus its not like those fish can escape anywhere. Cripes sake, like Bings said, it's a FREAKIN cement bathtub.

Once again, just sayin................GHEY!
walleye wonder7
New Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 20:45:48 (permalink)
pensfan1 sorrly some commom ppl who dont have boats get a good chance at some eyes and you say its not fishing.
that the only idiot i see
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 22:11:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pensfan1

ORIGINAL: TastyTrout

Ok I'll bite........ You cant even begin to try to compare boat fishing on an open lake to the farse that is considered fishing at the spillway. Not to mention the fact that it's ACTUALLY on top of each other. Usually thats just a figure of speech. Plus its not like those fish can escape anywhere. Cripes sake, like Bings said, it's a FREAKIN cement bathtub.

Once again, just sayin................GHEY!

well you said you'd bite....so give me a reason as to how it's different....you forgot to actually mention that...."just sayin"
crappie guy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/19 22:51:13 (permalink)
TT:

I would say that it is different b/c every echo on a fish finder isn't necessarily a fish. If someone was using one of those underwater cameras then your example would be more appropriate. Also, using a fish finder doesn't guarantee a bite but snagging a fish at the spillway is as close to a guarantee that there is in fishing. Now if you catch a fish at the spillway legally, by all means put it on your stringer. However, that's not the issue people have with the Linesville circus.

Here's a sampling of what irks people at the spillway:

1. Snagging fish rather than landing them legally
2. Guys catching a limit and leaving their buddy to hold their spot while they run the limit home so they can come back and keep fishin.
3. Local Yokels who think they own the spillway.
4. The occasional fist fight that breaks out when someone tries to be a hard @$$ there.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 08:47:08 (permalink)
Guess that covers all the bases. Thanks Crappie guy. The one that bothers me the most is the yokels that act they they own the freakin place. Oh ya, and the "walleye wiggle" GHEY!
post edited by pensfan1 - 2011/03/20 08:49:50
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 11:30:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: crappie guy

TT:

I would say that it is different b/c every echo on a fish finder isn't necessarily a fish. If someone was using one of those underwater cameras then your example would be more appropriate. Also, using a fish finder doesn't guarantee a bite but snagging a fish at the spillway is as close to a guarantee that there is in fishing. Now if you catch a fish at the spillway legally, by all means put it on your stringer. However, that's not the issue people have with the Linesville circus.

Here's a sampling of what irks people at the spillway:

1. Snagging fish rather than landing them legally
2. Guys catching a limit and leaving their buddy to hold their spot while they run the limit home so they can come back and keep fishin.
3. Local Yokels who think they own the spillway.
4. The occasional fist fight that breaks out when someone tries to be a hard @$$ there.

Through reading the boards it appears that the fish commission is more of a presence at the spillway this year. I'm not sure who posted that earlier in the thread but I read it. My cousin was there fishing (out in a canoe) and fish commish made him pull his walleye out of the water, put it next to a measuring tape, just to make sure it was at least 15, which it was. All this while the fish commish was on shore looking out with binoculars.

My honest opinion about the whole spillway area is this. There are people who are willing to put up with this so called circus to fish and catch their limit. Yes it may be easier but frankly I fish to catch fish. MOST people who say "I fish for the experience, not to catch fish" are lying and are full of pooo. The other side are the people who aren't willing, to old, or in a position where their bodies won't allow them to endure the conditions at the spillway so they use the boards to complain about it.

The way I see it is there are people who will put up with it and will go there and catch fish. EVERYONE has the exact same opportunity to show up, wait in line, or sit out there cramped up in a canoe. If that's not your idea of fishing then by all means do what makes you happy. However, that doens't give anyone the right to complain about others who do. As far as the snagging fish goes I don't do that at all. Sure there are people that do it but being that you don't like this type of fishing I'm willing to bet that you're just going off of what you read here or have heard, rather than sat down there and saw.

If what was going on there was really having an affect on the fish population the fish commish would surely have someone camped out there during this time of year. Personally I'd like to see that just so that the idiots that feel the need to throw punches might refrain from doing so.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 16:49:53 (permalink)
I have fished on and off for 40 years at the spillway and have NEVER seen a fight. Words yea but a fight no.I have seen snagged fished,I have snagged fish(and released them) basicly there is no reproduction of walleye in this lake.Not every walleye in the lake ends up at the spillway(it's a big lake).The spillway didn't hurt the great eye fishing in the 70's- 90's.There has ALWAYS been wardens( and under cover wardens there,even in the 70's.)This fishing does not hurt the eye population one bit.If you don't like it fine,but if you never been there please don't post things you know nothing about. With all the high water more eyes will enter the propagation side than will be caught,yes I've watch eyes at night go over the cement circle (on the carp side) like salmon swimming up stream,the creek behind the school in town (lineville) is full of eyes right now but is a no fishing zone till May.The spillway simulates a stream to spawn as does sandbars (water movement), calverts,openings at the causeway will all produce fish to some degree. I'm 58 and have a board too stand on all night if I choose(and it's not easy fishing believe me.I have not been there yet this year and may or may not go.I've been getting 20-35 crappies a day so I might let the eye have some slack.Nobody talks about all the LIFTING on the Erie tribs,just the spillway,oh by the way if you really FISHED the spillway instead of talking about it you might knows something more than the walleye fishing 4 or 5 years ago the crappie fishing was the BEST I ever had and it was in December at the spillway just hogs 12-15 inch plus fish,for about 10 days .
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 18:18:15 (permalink)
Did they add a new boat launch at the spillway when they reworked that area? If so where's it at?
The gent that told me said spillway, maybe he meant causeway and just misspoke.
I knew they reworked the parking area but a new launch would only add to the MADDNESS.
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 21:32:08 (permalink)
I'd agree with you Tuna. Well put. I'm glad someone else commented on how it's not easy fishing like everyone believes. I can also say that I've never personally seen a fight or rocks thrown at boats but I've heard of it happening.
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/20 22:19:09 (permalink)
Actually I have been there when fights broke out, and there was a bad fight there just last week or so.  I agree, if you don't like it don't go there.  I was there tonight and had some drunken belligerent lady drive her truck right up to the bridge and start mfing everyone.  she said that it wasnt fishing and she ice fishes and blah blah blah and everyone there was from Pittsburgh and she's local and won't even "stoop" to this level...needless to say, the state boys came and hulled her away...

So tuna, yes it's not as bad as most say, but I have seen the actually fist fights and pushing and shoving into the water.  Most guys are nice and will help you out or let you squeeze in...

Pachuckles, no they did not put a boat launch in.  only hand carried (canoes, rowboats and kayaks, ect) boats can get in there from the parking lot.

Fish update...I was there from 3pm till 830pm and saw 2 small walleye caught (3 guys on one side, 4 on the other and last count on the boats was 10 with 2-3ppl per boat).  guys off the wall fishing with worms and minnows picked up some perch and crappie, nothing to brag about and a 36" musky.  And of coarse lots and lots of carp...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/21 08:12:56 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

hope2fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/21 09:29:17 (permalink)
not sure bings...looks like it was in the gill plate
eyeassassin
Expert Angler
RE: Almost time for the MADDNESS 2011/03/21 09:44:43 (permalink)
if it is not your style of fishing that is cool.  like tastytrout said i was out in the canoe and the guys that were fishing from shore where great nobody was fighting our arguing and we were all freezing trying to catch an eye.  i have fished there for a good amount of years and i will tell you this it is not always easy.  i have been down there many days and fished all day freezing with nothing to show for it.  I can not speek for everyone but i know that i will not keep a snagged fish, no matter how big it is.  WHAT WE DO AT THE SPILLWAY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN 30 GUYS FISHING A HOLE ON ELK CREEK WITH 10 FISH IN IT.  Except we cant see the fish we are fishing for

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to: