January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th =

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:31:46 (permalink)
I did not catch alot of it either.. had to go get my truck from the repair shop
did experience a first fro me though...

I watched as a guy nominated HIMSELF for vice-president.... and in the final vote he got ONE VOTE.. HIS ...

2F to split season.. stay tuned for that one.. I'll be able to give a first hand look at how that is working .... will not effect me much now that I have my trusty crossbow

I'll just shoot does in archery and hunt alot harder this coming year in the fall senior antlerless hunt.. maybe take all three days vacation .....and sit out rifle season...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/01 13:15:42
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:34:56 (permalink)
Thanks guys.

S-10, does the 8-0 vote mean that it passed or is there another step in the process? 
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:36:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10
The vote was 8-0 on 3 up.

Wow.  I'd say its gonna pass.  Remains to be seen if folks in the current three point areas are gonna ask for "two up" with time once the word gets out. 

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:37:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Thanks guys.

S-10, does the 8-0 vote mean that it passed or is there another step in the process? 

Final vote is at the April meeting.

My rifle is a black rifle
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:38:41 (permalink)
It seems the 2012 review of crossguns may already be a foregone conclusion. They had a bit of discussion on the drawloc as it pertained to the current wording of bows, etc, and during it 2 of the BOC commented they didn't expect to reverse the crossgun ruling.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:41:55 (permalink)
Remains to be seen if folks in the current three point areas are gonna ask for "two up" with time once the word gets out.

That concern was raised but the BOC left little doubt they had no intention of making that change.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:48:17 (permalink)
The thing I found interesting was in spite of all the folks claiming they were going their own way and disregarding their biologists yada, yada, not only didn't that happen but in all but two votes they voted 8-0 for the changes. If they had any major problems they must have sorted them out in private.
There were really no major surprises either although I don't know what happens in their private Exectuive meeting which is going on now.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 12:52:36 (permalink)
I watched as a guy nominated HIMSELF for vice-president.... and in the final vote he go ONE VOTE.. HIS ...

That had to be embarrassing Did you notice how much time he spent looking around for another hand to be raised.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:03:42 (permalink)
".....and sit out rifle season... "

Good strategy Doc.

Do you think that the 70% of PA hunters, those that hunt with a gun only, ought to go that route as well?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:15:07 (permalink)
S-10 ... yeah I was laughing my butt off... I was waiting to see if actually stood up and looked...

what surpised me was how they do the nominations.. at our club, there is a nomination and there MUST be a second ... and the person has to accept the nomination before voting ... no second .. no nomination ???

So he would not have even been on the "ballet" at our club and would have been LAUGHED out the front door ...

guess they do not do it that way ?????
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:22:05 (permalink)

Do you think that the 70% of PA hunters, those that hunt with a gun only, ought to go that route as well?

To each his own ..

I was being a little sarcastic... BTW ...

I have already mentioned that I would NOT pass on does in archery and hunt harder in senior season if they split the season in 2F and I know others will do the same...as for percentages.. who cares.... splitting the season in 2F is NOT going to make the 12% - 20% saving it has in other units.... just too many females running around here... tags will be filled... and as a result the buck harvest may well go up too because of the war on that first Saturday...

from working that day I can tell you .. just about everyone who is "up here" for opening day is here for the first saturday also...

If I have my two deer before rifle season.. I'll just sit behind the house and see if a buck happens by... no big deal .. but I would still want to be in the woods with the other guys radio chatting etc... (tradition)

after that I'll stay home and relax and eat venison..

the BOC should have waited another year to see how the changes worked out this year for the ones they added .. but live and learn BOC .....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/01 13:40:15
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:39:43 (permalink)
Anyone else pick up on what Boop said about the estimated buck harvest possibly doing if the PGC doesn't lower the reporting rate for last season? It sounded like they may already know the raw numbers and they are not good.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:46:38 (permalink)
I missed all the deer stuff myself ...

what does this mean ??

""PGC doesn't lower the reporting rate for last year""

how can the PGC lower the reporting rate ?????

Was he talking about report cards and on-line reporting required to be done by the HUNTERS ????

what a joke.. the PGC can not lower that it's up to the hunters to report what they did...

but maybe I mis-understand what he was asking for ?????

what world does he live in... so glad he will be leaving soon !!!!!

no one gets any where near 100% reporting rate and many states say we are doing as good if not better than most ???
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 13:57:51 (permalink)
Your one area of 2F with "too many" does is not typical of the entire WMU
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 14:00:52 (permalink)
Doc-- did you hear what he said there at the end? The way I understood what he was saying (and I would like someone else to confirm) is he/they must already have the raw reported deer harvest numbers but not what the PGC has determined to be the percent reporting rate for the season. Unless the percent reporting rate was determined to be lower last year than in previous years the estimated buck harvest is pretty dismal. That is what I took from the statement.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 15:06:16 (permalink)
did not hear that part, guess we may have to wait until the PGC releases the figures ???

PSU... Never said the whole WMU has too many deer...

the ANF part does not have any .. there's nothing there for them to eat and survive on...

Clear Creek State Forest has plenty (they even have DMAPS for the entire area except the park itself), SGL#54, SGL#44 all have plenty of deer... and I know of several farms that are open to hunting that have deer that are being shot for crop damage every year still....

most areas of Jefferson and Elk have deer.. always have.. it's those other parts like the ANF areas that were thrown in to the 2F that have the harvest figures looking so low....
many of those areas have always been lower than Jefferson and parts of Elk...

poor areas prior to the HR are still poor if not poorer areas...
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 15:09:58 (permalink)
Well doc, whatsa matter, cat got your tongue? I didnt get to hear what s10 is talking about and he doesnt seem 100% certain and has asked for input. Im eager to hear confirmation or refuting of what s-10 has said.

--Sorry, I was posting while you were Doc. Disregard. I see youd rather not comment anyway. lol.
post edited by wayne c - 2011/02/01 15:12:12
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 15:13:27 (permalink)
poor areas prior to the HR are still poor if not poorer areas...

If that is true, then I guess that would mean hr has failed and its not mainly the deer effecting the habitat there. Correct?
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 15:24:10 (permalink)
"Clear Creek State Forest has plenty (they even have DMAPS for the entire area except the park itself), SGL#54, SGL#44 all have plenty of deer... and I know of several farms that are open to hunting that have deer that are being shot for crop damage every year still...."

And it took you how many trips and how many hours to secure doe, on the last day I believe?

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 16:04:28 (permalink)
we may have to wait until the PGC releases the figures ???

Just remember that last year you said the buck harvest was down to 108,330 because of the crappy weather we had and predicted it would be 125,000 this past season. I have an extra few thousand lying around to invest if you would care to firm up that prediction.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 16:17:50 (permalink)

And it took you how many trips and how many hours to secure doe, on the last day I believe?

Dars...
January 10th was not the last day around here ???

what does how many hours or days it took me to harvest a deer have to do with how many deer are in the area ????

I know hundreds of guys who do not kill a deer everytime they go into the woods and there's plenty on here that post they do not even see deer every trip out ????

what's you point.. what does my season have to do with the number of deer in the area.. ??

I even posted about passing on deer.. so still do not see you point? other than once again an attempt to attack my opinions...

Read the posts I have made about my seasons.. ====
I saw plenty of deer and that's all I am saying there are plenty of deer in most of 2F...

how many I killed or how many hours I hunted have NOTHING to do with how many deer live here .... there is still enough here that I got TWO and passed on some while archery hunting..just like every year since HR.. one with a crossbow one with a truck

you guys are really fixed on attacking me .. it's almost comical..

++++++NEXT +++++

Well doc, whatsa matter, cat got your tongue? I didnt get to hear what s10 is talking about and he doesnt seem 100% certain and has asked for input. Im eager to hear confirmation or refuting of what s-10 has said.

--Sorry, I was posting while you were Doc. Disregard. I see youd rather not comment anyway. lol.

Well Wayne, whatsa matter, can't read ??

As any intelligent person can see (or should have read ) I did answer S-10 ==
by saying - I did not see it all, missed the deer stuff. or I missed that part ....

GHEZZZZ....

I just love it when you guys don't read the posts just jump in and attack...

S-10 asked a question of someone who could answer or me if I knew....

Here's my posts about the meeting today and answer to his his question = ..

I missed all the deer stuff

I did not hear that part

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 16:23:52 (permalink)
Doc,

Lighten up man.  Didn't you see the smiley face.  I was being sarcastic.

People jump on you because you take this waaaaaaay too seriously.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 16:26:19 (permalink)
S-10..

not sure about my prediction .. I know it was not too bad around here weather wise.. so that will not play into the results..

I talked to lots of guys that were successful.. so not sure..

but I could easily be wrong.. but at least I went out on the limb long before the seasons started..

I was counting on alot of the ones not shot in 2009 getting whacked in 2010, but not sure if it's going to be the needed 17,000...

at least I went out on the limb and made a prediction before any seasons started...
even if it turns out wrong...

BTW.. what was your prediction ????? oh wait === you never made one, so you knew you were "safe" no matter what it was
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 16:54:03 (permalink)
BTW.. what was your prediction ????? oh wait === you never made one, so you knew you were "safe" no matter what it was

My mother didn't raise any foolish children.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 18:02:26 (permalink)
I have actually previously predicted a slight increase in buck harvest compared to last coupleof years. Though that isnt saying much. I did because of the PERFECT weather conditions.

If the harvest is lower than those rock bottom totals, then its gonna be completely ridiculous. On the other hand, Id actually like to see a buck harvest hit another modern day low, especially if under 100k. Maybe that slap in the face will finally be enough for the powers that be to take actually meaningful actions.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 19:25:36 (permalink)

Doc-- did you hear what he said there at the end? The way I understood what he was saying (and I would like someone else to confirm) is he/they must already have the raw reported deer harvest numbers but not what the PGC has determined to be the percent reporting rate for the season. Unless the percent reporting rate was determined to be lower last year than in previous years the estimated buck harvest is pretty dismal. That is what I took from the statement.

How would you come up with that conclusion from Boop’s comments? I sat and listened to his comments and I sure didn’t get that message from his comments.

All Boop said was that he expected both the buck and doe harvests to be less this year than they were last year. He did make a comment that he might be wrong if the reporting rate was lower this year than last year, but even that doesn’t make a lick of sense to anyone who actually understands how the reporting rates do or don’t affect the annual harvest estimate. He went on to say that if the harvests are lower this year than he hopes his fellow Commissioners will join him in taking a look at taking steps to increase the deer populations across the state. That was pretty much the entire point he was trying make.

He didn’t say anything that would, or should, lead anyone to believe they have any harvest data yet, because they don’t any kind of estimate yet. They are still collecting the harvest data and it is still most likely to be a month or more before they have the harvest estimate for the past season.

R.S. Bodenhorn
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 19:46:24 (permalink)
Care to comment on why he stated the number the buck harvest would be under if the reporting rate didn't change. Did he just pull that number out of his hat? My take was he had raw data but didn't have the reporting rate. Why else would he make that statement.That is why I asked for confirmation from someone else and said it was my take on it. They should have some Idea of raw data, after all the PGC has a new computer system and the reporting deadline has passed.

BTY- a one percent drop in the reporting rate is about 2400 animals added to the estimated harvest at the current reporting rate and harvest numbers
post edited by S-10 - 2011/02/01 19:55:31
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/01 22:25:18 (permalink)

Care to comment on why he stated the number the buck harvest would be under if the reporting rate didn't change. Did he just pull that number out of his hat? My take was he had raw data but didn't have the reporting rate. Why else would he make that statement.That is why I asked for confirmation from someone else and said it was my take on it. They should have some Idea of raw data, after all the PGC has a new computer system and the reporting deadline has passed.

BTY- a one percent drop in the reporting rate is about 2400 animals added to the estimated harvest at the current reporting rate and harvest numbers

I have no idea why he made any comment about reporting rates since it has so little bearing on what the harvest estimate is going to be. Regardless of the reporting rate the estimate is going to about the same. An increase in the reporting rate doesn’t change the estimate by much though the higher the reporting rates the more confidence there is in the accuracy of the estimate.

There is no projected estimate and will not be for some time.

Heck in some areas they were still harvesting deer yet last Saturday so many harvests still haven’t been reported and probably will not be for another week of more. Then the reports have to be compared against the deer the processing plant teams handled before they can calculate what the harvest reporting rates are for the various units. Then it all has to be put into the computer model to get both the harvest estimate an population estimate needed for next year’s allocation proposals.

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2011/02/01 22:26:04
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/02 07:40:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

And it took you how many trips and how many hours to secure doe, on the last day I believe?

Dars...
January 10th was not the last day around here ???

what does how many hours or days it took me to harvest a deer have to do with how many deer are in the area ????

I know hundreds of guys who do not kill a deer everytime they go into the woods and there's plenty on here that post they do not even see deer every trip out ????

what's you point.. what does my season have to do with the number of deer in the area.. ??

I even posted about passing on deer.. so still do not see you point? other than once again an attempt to attack my opinions...

Read the posts I have made about my seasons.. ====
I saw plenty of deer and that's all I am saying there are plenty of deer in most of 2F...

how many I killed or how many hours I hunted have NOTHING to do with how many deer live here .... there is still enough here that I got TWO and passed on some while archery hunting..just like every year since HR.. one with a crossbow one with a truck

you guys are really fixed on attacking me .. it's almost comical..

++++++NEXT +++++

Well Wayne, whatsa matter, can't read ??

As any intelligent person can see (or should have read ) I did answer S-10 ==
by saying - I did not see it all, missed the deer stuff. or I missed that part ....

GHEZZZZ....

I just love it when you guys don't read the posts just jump in and attack...

S-10 asked a question of someone who could answer or me if I knew....

Here's my posts about the meeting today and answer to his his question = ..

I missed all the deer stuff

I did not hear that part

I guess what is comical to me is that you state that there are "lots of deer" yet it took you 130 hours of hunting I believe to harvest a single doe.  Back when there WERE lots of deer, I am pretty sure that it didn't take me 130 hours to harvest 28 BUCKS.

Maybe its just that we have a different definition of "lots."

Who knows, you might be a fan of the mathematical system of the Yamamama tribe which goes like this -- 1, 2, many.  The "many" changed to "lots" when it was lost in translation.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/02/02 07:52:06 (permalink)
You just are using the wrong math book. PGC has their own.
If you would just drink some of the Koolaid you would understand how their math works...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: