Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2011/01/27 12:26:43 (permalink)

January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th =

For those unable to attend this meeting, the Game Commission will webcast the meeting beginning with the Game Commission staff reports on Monday, immediately following the conclusion of public comments. In addition, the full Board meeting on Tuesday will be webcast beginning at 8:30 a.m. An icon will be posted on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) on Monday and Tuesday to access the webcasts.

I know I'll be watching...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/27 12:27:08

116 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 12:34:12 (permalink)
    Wish I could.  They plan to re-broadcast.  Hopefully it will be on the weekend or evening so I can watch.

My rifle is a black rifle
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 13:09:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

For those unable to attend this meeting, the Game Commission will webcast the meeting beginning with the Game Commission staff reports on Monday, immediately following the conclusion of public comments. In addition, the full Board meeting on Tuesday will be webcast beginning at 8:30 a.m. An icon will be posted on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) on Monday and Tuesday to access the webcasts.

I know I'll be watching...

I thought that you would be there in person to serve tea and finger sandwiches.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 14:23:27 (permalink)
    I'll be working
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 14:31:29 (permalink)
    I wanted to go, but truck is getting fixed then...
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 15:11:22 (permalink)

I wanted to go, but truck is getting fixed then...

RSB won't give you a ride?

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 15:14:14 (permalink)
    I think I would rather watch paint dry.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 15:15:49 (permalink)
    Everyone should try to make at least meeting of the BOC.  The January meeting is a good one to go to with many staff reports and discussions on season structures among other things. 

See how the system works and even testify to give your two cents.  Just don't throw books and refuse to sit down after you five minutes is up.

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 16:12:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpms

Everyone should try to make at least meeting of the BOC.  The January meeting is a good one to go to with many staff reports and discussions on season structures among other things. 

See how the system works and even testify to give your two cents.  Just don't throw books and refuse to sit down after you five minutes is up.

I used to attend quite a few PFBC BOC meetings and have even been "asked" to testify at a few.  Here is why I stopped wasting my time.

At the last meeting I went to the question was about whether to change the bass seasons and bag limits.  When a final proposal was hammered out, it ran counter to what the biologists just spent three hours explaining and what those that were asked to testify had proposed. 

Then, just before the vote, one board member said he wanted to change the size limits within not only the new seasons proposal but for the "Big Bass" program as well.  He proposed changing the minimum size during the proposed newly restrictive season and the "Big Bass" program from 15 inches to 16 inches.

The biologist was flabbergasted.  He blurted out "I just explained why 15 inches is a biologically important milestone in a bass's biological life and breeding cycle and now you want to change that.  Why?"

The BOC member looked him right in the eye and said, in all seriousness, "Because I am a retired carpenter and everything has to be divisible by 4.  15 isn't."

While the proposal that was counter to those that testified and what the biologists recommended passed anyway, the change from 15 inches ot 16 inches did not -- by one vote.

Life is far too short to deal with that type of idiocracy.  From the recent actions of the PGC BOC, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 17:37:33 (permalink)
    +1

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 19:38:56 (permalink)
    After last year it seems that the PFBC nor the PGC BOC care to hear or listen to the biologist and experts, they have their own political agendas...

look at Dan Surra.. he used his position on the game and fisheries to try to influence the BOC with many of his anti PGC and especially the anti- Deer plan.. thankfully they did not listen..

then the voters just got fed-up with him in general and voted him out.. and the Governor made-up a positon for him at Pa wilds ... making even MORE MONEY... trying to make tourism #1 around here and not even listing hunting as a recreational sport in Pa...

we need to form some sort of alliance and watch what some of these "clowns" are doing or trying to do and WHY !!!!

Keep in mind as the meeting approaches.. Boop is going to be out and we
    will see what and how he gets rewarded for his silly rule changes lately ...

i.e. = add WMUs to the list to have only a 1 week season for females and then not even give it time to see the results and he now wants to go state wide... what a clown.....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/27 19:40:17
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 19:49:59 (permalink)
    look at Dan Surra.. he used his position on the game and fisheries to try to influence the BOC with many of his anti PGC and especially the anti- Deer plan.. thankfully they did not listen..

Of course they didnt. The board was stacked.

then the voters just got fed-up with him in general and voted him out..

You mean like how the hunters got fed up with Levdansky and his constant agenda pushing and interference? Good riddance to him!

"we need to form some sort of alliance and watch what some of these "clowns" are doing or trying to do and WHY !!!!"

Yes. An alliance that doesnt end with "and conservationists" or environmentalists in the title.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 20:12:36 (permalink)
    Like I said DarDys, for those that have not been there, it is good to see how the system works.  The good, bad and ugly.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 20:22:44 (permalink)
    e. = add WMUs to the list to have only a 1 week season for females and then not even give it time to see the results and he now wants to go state wide... what a clown.....

If I remember correctly it was the FORMER BOC that started the one week doe season in four WMU'S which was not based on anything of a scientific nature. That fact was even discussed at some length on this site at the time. Not much about AR/HR has proven to be science based thus far so why should this BOC not change what isn't working.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 20:55:17 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly it was the FORMER BOC that started the one week doe season in four WMU'S which was not based on anything of a scientific nature.

You are correct, that BOC listened to the experts and hunters who wanted to see what that change would do, and it satisfied the game and fisheries protestors...

Those 4 I believe are still on the list... and being studied.. they DID NOT run out and change things the second year...they are finding (that at best) it may be saving 20%... but also think it is adding to the buck harvest on Saturday..

then along comes this new group of renegades and they add more to it for no good reason in my opinion other than to show they can make changes.. like they did to bear, turkey, deer, etc etc... and some for "sour grapes" over the crossbow situation...
    just willy-nilly changes that not too many liked or felt were needed..

now they want to make more with little info on what the changes did they put in last year except lower the bear harvest dramatically.. by the Saturday start FOR SURE .... upsetting alot of bear hunters I talked too... "the bears all went and hid on Sunday with no one in the woods -- after distrubing them on Saturday"...

see if they admit any mistakes and change that back.. nahh.. they won't do that..

I'll just keep my eyes and ears open for the replacements coming to the theatre soon....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/27 20:57:26
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 21:03:50 (permalink)
    just willy-nilly changes that not too many liked or felt were needed..

Do you have a link to the hunter surveys that show those numbers?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 21:11:16 (permalink)
    nope just my opinion based on the 100s of hunters I talked to at work this fall...

remember there are over 375 camps within 10 miles of where I work (township has 30 square miles).. and 95% of those at those camps stop at the store at some time during their stay.. .. say 4 guys per camp (+1,500)... the next nearest store is at least 15 miles away in any direction

So on Fri..Sat.. Sun.. they are "stuck" talking sports with me

Just for fun.. I'll try to keep track on Saturday how many guys/gals I end up talking hunting to ...
    and this is the OFF SEASON.. not many at camps.. so it will probably be 20-30 of the locals...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/28 10:02:12
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 21:21:23 (permalink)
    the bears all went and hid on Sunday with no one in the woods -- after distrubing them on Saturday"...

Where in the woods would they hide on Sunday after a Saturday start that they wouldn't have hid Monday night after a Monday start?
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/27 21:55:48 (permalink)
    Just reporting what I heard alot of from the bear hunters...

Instead of just traveling from sunset Monday night til Tuesday morning (12 hours)the bear had a full 36 hours of uninterupted travel to find security...

I'm not a bear hunter == but it sort of made sense to me... I know bears can travel a long ways in a short time if they want to..
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/28 01:57:38 (permalink)
    Maybe they just saw a road sign that said "Bear Left", and confused it's meaning.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/28 09:27:12 (permalink)
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/29 13:56:44 (permalink)

Just reporting what I heard alot of from the bear hunters...

Instead of just traveling from sunset Monday night til Tuesday morning (12 hours)the bear had a full 36 hours of uninterupted travel to find security...

I'm not a bear hunter == but it sort of made sense to me... I know bears can travel a long ways in a short time if they want to..

Sounds more like Sour Grapes from some piiss poor bear hunters.
    Not a very scientific poll to say the least..

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/29 16:51:25 (permalink)
    Sounds more like Sour Grapes from some piiss poor bear hunters.

Just wondering ------- ????

would it be fair for me to say the same thing about the guys I hear giving me their reasons for not seeing deer while deer hunting ????

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/29 17:08:35 (permalink)
    What like the deer all hid on Sunday...Yeah those guys.....

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/30 12:21:15 (permalink)
    Dan Surra listened to "hunters" doc, not the bull crap that the dcnr and biologist threw in the stew...Why , do you think all the hunters left the big woods here??? too many deer????...we now have most of BOC wanting to bring back the deer in 2G...and quit listening to the whining of dcnr on regeneration..Lets hope, we sportsman, to cut more doe tags, and shorten the season in all areas that have little to no deer in the woods..lots of deer, give out the tags, but you will never see hunters back in big woods until the deer are at huntable levels, which most of my area are not..Keep the AR's..never in my 50 years of hunting have i seen so many big bucks, so this did something..never go to spread..3 up is only to have the people shooting bucks assuming they have brow tines..would keep more mistake bucks from feeding coyotes..good rule in my opinion..so battle on,, you super smart people with all the percentages,theories,..it will be what it will be..mild winters, more deer, less tags, more deer..and there are less hunters up here than ever, and will stay that way in my lifetime..
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/31 10:46:14 (permalink)
    Change is in the air, folks.   In a year or two, the change may be bigger than could have been imagined a short time ago.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/31 10:55:04 (permalink)
    Change is in the air, folks. In a year or two, the change may be bigger than could have been imagined a short time ago.

That's a dirty trick to leave us hanging like that DPMSAt least give us a hint, should we sell our guns and bows or buy more? Inquiring minds want to know.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/31 12:00:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Change is in the air, folks. In a year or two, the change may be bigger than could have been imagined a short time ago.

That's a dirty trick to leave us hanging like that DPMSAt least give us a hint, should we sell our guns and bows or buy more? Inquiring minds want to know.

Start practicing with the atlatl.

My vet went to vet school in Georgia.  One of his buddies lived on the farm/plantation next to Jim Fowler of Mutual of Omaha fame -- Perkins: "While Jim circumsizes the giant black rhino, I'll work my way back to camp and mix up some margaritas with the native girls" -- and he often stopped over to see him while in school.  He relays that Jim is quite good with an atlatl.  Of course, he learned from those that still use them as a primary hunting weapon.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/31 12:15:42 (permalink)
    I enjoyed the bear presentation by Mark Ternent this morning..

"" 2,300 youth were able to hunt Bears for the first time last year "" ... IMPRESSIVE....
    even one of the commissioner commented that he was impressed with that fact...

Mixed bag of testimony yesterday according to a summary of those commenting..
    most wanted the BOC to continue to listen to the "experts", science, and biologists when it comes to the deer....

I got a kick out of the USP guy saying he wanted the PGC to do more about coyotes....

LIKE WHAT.. you can hunt them 24/7 now and even use dogs to chase them ?????

I also enjoyed it this morning when a commisioner said it appears we have 950,000 experts out there He must read this board
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/01/31 12:19:09
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: January PGC Meeting.. Jan 30th = 2011/01/31 12:26:15 (permalink)
    "Mixed bag of testimony yesterday according to a summary of those commenting..
    most wanted the BOC to continue to listen to the "experts", science, and biologists when it comes to the deer...."

Thats because the majority of those that showed up are the same/only ones that have been showing up. The enviros. Those whove been ignored have given up on begging to or screaming at pgc. I hear they still get alot of correspondence not in support via email, by far the majority. And the legislators do as well. Lot less wasted time that way, then driving 100's of miles to attend and be ignored after the same ol same ol for a decade i guess.

I got a kick out of the USP guy saying he wanted the PGC to do more about coyotes....

I got a bigger kick out of the commissioner this morning asking why every other states studies have found coyotes to be a problem..and that they had significant effect on deer..and for some reason ours didnt. lmao. Predictably, no attempt at a rational answer was given.

I also quite enjoyed the commissioner pointing out to Rosenberry that the deer harvests in his unit were continually declining over the last several years, yet the claim is stabilization for the unit and Rosenberry fumbled for an answer that didnt exist.

I strongly believe the commissioners were far less than impressed with the response.

post edited by wayne c - 2011/01/31 12:36:16
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: