Monster Bear killed

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 13:54:28 (permalink)
Sounds to me that the hunter didn't realize it was being fed.  He said he had been hunting it for 3 years. 

If I have been hunting a huge buck for 3 years, and finally got him, only to have the world come down on me for killing the deer they had feed all summer.... IDK.  That would be tough.

F it, they shouldn't have been feeding it.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 17:23:13 (permalink)
I can't believe,that we have so many ethical hunters on this site! Just do your homework and READ ABOUT IT. Go to Bings site,that he posted and read what one of the party members said.One of the guy's worked TWO miles away and"HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BOZO" Yea right,these slobs new about him and wanted in the lime light. The BEARS DEAD,trophy no,fair chase no,ethical no,wild animal questionable,if PGC say it's a good hunt,then it's a good hunt,but ethical no way. DarDy's those two tame pen deer got eaten by something( dogs or yotes) or poached and not talked about,and yea I can see you drilling it Ironhead,it would fit right in there being a mature 17 year old hand fed,semi pet bear. To all thoughs who missed the piont,ETHICS,go to some ANTI SITES,just what real hunter need,more attention,but for the wrong reasons. THE END
waspman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 17:48:55 (permalink)
I would love to clean and whiten that skull..my beetles would take a week to clean that one..;)

There's room for all gods creatures....right next to the taters and gravy.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 18:04:14 (permalink)
Just because somethings legally right, doesn't necessarily mean it's morally right. It's a darn shame that what they did made an old man cry.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 18:08:17 (permalink)
Very well said Big Tuna.
ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

I can't believe,that we have so many ethical hunters on this site! Just do your homework and READ ABOUT IT. Go to Bings site,that he posted and read what one of the party members said.One of the guy's worked TWO miles away and"HE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BOZO" Yea right,these slobs new about him and wanted in the lime light. The BEARS DEAD,trophy no,fair chase no,ethical no,wild animal questionable,if PGC say it's a good hunt,then it's a good hunt,but ethical no way. DarDy's those two tame pen deer got eaten by something( dogs or yotes) or poached and not talked about,and yea I can see you drilling it Ironhead,it would fit right in there being a mature 17 year old hand fed,semi pet bear. To all thoughs who missed the piont,ETHICS,go to some ANTI SITES,just what real hunter need,more attention,but for the wrong reasons. THE END

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:18:03 (permalink)
Way too many questions about this whole "deal" for me to believe it was not a case of "baiting" or "coaxing" the bear into shooting range ...

On other message boards we now have one family member saying the other is lying about how the "hunt" happened ...

5 arrows, 6 arrows, 7 arrows, 9 total arrows and bolts ???

in a tree not in a tree ... ???

one shooter is a diabetic and just had to have soda and twinkies along "in case" ??

which just happens to be Bozo"s favorite things to eat when getting fed by many in the community.???

blood on the soda can ??

bear ran away then came back and got the blood on the can ???

Maybe it's time this story gets put on the "back burner" and we'll all hope the truth comes out some time down the road....

maybe ???? ..

it sounds like a chance for the PGC to REALLY investigate (in depth) using others than the local WCO) and just maybe make up for the finch mistake....
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:21:07 (permalink)
What's the name of the doe you are going to shoot this season?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:33:21 (permalink)
Did not name any this year,

but even if I did I do not think it is the same thing...

it's just like naming or shooting one that is in the neighbors farm fields, or you shooting one that is feeding on the oaks on the private property you have permissoon to hunt.. or shooting one of those nice bucks that showed up at your trail camera where the corn, apples, and salt blocks were until 30 days before the opener.. people were hand feeding this bear the night before in the area...

I do not feed them for entertainment or to make them appear as pets, I can not lean on them pet them, or feed them out of my hand...., I feed them to help them make it thru the winter and to fatten them up for someone to kill in December the following year....

I have no problem if they killed Bozo fair and square.... I would not hunt him if I knew about all the folks feeding him and treating him like a pet... if he had lost some/most of his natural fear of man then that is not a 100% wild animal... but to each his own.. if they are PROUD of what they did == so be it..

my fear is that the entire thing is not and was not actually a legal hunt and legal kill.. but that we may never know...

I'm just not thrilled about the kill and have little repsect for those that did the killing...

but others are free to think it's a great kill.... and a real true trophy hunt and bear...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/23 19:34:22
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:39:44 (permalink)
I agree with you 100% on this one Doc...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:40:06 (permalink)
first off LOL to the last two posts...

okay i actually blame the game commision, and its not one of those "JUST BLAME THE GAME COMMISION!" They TRIED to catch the bear and "it didnt fit into the trap" Since it was more tame then fear, why didnt they lead it into a larger crate with a twinky? onto a flat bed and transport it to the boondock mountains?? its not really an excuse that bozo the friendly bear/problem bear couldnt get captured..

As far as was it right, wrong, or whatever, i've come to not even care anymore, well not even care in the first place.

look at the simple. Guy fed a bear, bear walks into the public woods, guy shoots it. dont even look at the details. who cares anymore. all this forum is a bunch of opinionated peoples, and there isnt much wrong with that but sometimes its just gets worn out and pointless...and i think this just got that way.
Eriefisherman69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:44:16 (permalink)
JEEZ   What would these boards do if it was Killed with an AX at 100 Yards 

Get educated, Get smart, And help. 

Move up or Move Over

Don't wait do something now

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 19:47:30 (permalink)
the bear is dead... not a whole lot you can do by arguing about it on a forum... just sayin'

stop beatin' the dead horse (or bear)

you can't undo dead and gutted.

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 20:35:25 (permalink)
The fact is that when people start feeding game they are habituating it and greatly increasing its probability of both it being killed and it injuring a person before it is killed. Wildlife that becomes habituated to people is ALWAYS a public safety concern and frequently becomes a major problem.

We have a saying in the Wildlife Profession, “Fed wildlife is dead wildlife” and it is generally true. The people that fed this bear, or any bear, were the real problem and they most certainly contributed toward the death of this bear.

At age 17 he had lived far longer than most bears and to be frank about it, habituated wildlife are the ones that need to be removed from the population since they are both already ruined by people and a threat to the safety of the public.

Bozo was a ruined bear a long time ago and ALL of society is really better off without him in the bear population. Hopefully, the people that created the problem to begin with now know better than to ruin other bears and wildlife in the future but it is probably rather doubtfully they are willing to accept any responsibility for their past incorrect and illegal actions.

I never thought I would be agreeing with what S-10 posted but I believe he is right on the bulls eye with his comments concerning this topic.

R.S. Bodenhorn
post edited by RSB - 2010/11/23 20:37:29
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 899
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 22:29:42 (permalink)
Alright look there's a major problems with this ok 1. The old man shouldve knew better to feed a wild bear doesnt matter if he loved it or not, it's not a **** pet its a wild creature that can turn on you faster then a doberman ok. I kinda recall a guy who loved bears so much that he lived with them and guess where they found him in the bears gut. you cant feed wild predators what if that bear decided one day that a little kid walking around with his lunch in his back pack was holding out on the snack pack, so he attacked him and killed or attacked him then the bear would have to be destoryed and a kid couldve lost his life because a old man needed some comfort "get a dog". thats why in many states they dont want people to feed bears they become problems attacking house hold pets little kids and adults because people wanna see if yogi boo boo and cindy really do like PIC A NIC baskets. why do you think they make bear proof stuff coolers, garbage cans, dumpsters, bear pepper spray why because a tame bear has no fear of humans and is a danger to its self and the people around it bears are curious amd a highly intelligent animal.  

2. the hunter has the blame as well if he knew the bear was hand fed and had no fear of humans thats down right inexcusable its just like shooting a deer under a feed like many others have pointed out. but if the hunter didnt break any laws by baiting or hunting over a baiting area hes not in the wrong. If he was legally hunting in a area the bear walked through to get to where he was going to eat fine, its just like hunting a deer on a trail he uses to go to the corn field or bean field its not wrong to do that. But if they cant get a accurate story out of the guy and his hunting buddies who shot it or were there when it was shot, it has no right to become a world record and they should be fined and considered poachers, and lose their rights to hunt for the rest of their lives if its not a legal kill they just gave pa hunters a bad name. But if it is a legal kill then congrats to the guy and thank god that it is because if not people would consider you a dirt bag and you wouldve tainted yourself and your family's name over a record that you didnt get because you wanna cheat, its not right to hunters who work hard for a decent trophy and its not right to the animal because its being treated like a pet and figures a guy with some food is a friend he has to live with the guilt and the shame for the rest of his life.

3. the state police or the game commission shouldve stepped in if they heard about this man feeding a bear and dont say they cant do this or cant do that they couldve warned the guy about feeding the bear and told him hes just making it hard for the bear to live its natural life and hes putting it in danger because it was so big and alot of people are low eough to shoot something just to get the fame of being a world record holder or state record holder. and if he didnt stop feeding it then they couldve trapped it and relocated it to the zoo because if they released back into the it wouldve just wandered it way back to the guys house after a while. When the investigation is over and the guy is or isnt found to have violated any laws the game commission should let everyone in the city know that feeding a wild animal and it being as big as it was people are gonna try and take advantage of it, it's not the guys fault that they considered the bear a mascot and a pet and he ended up shooting it, its their fault as much as the hunters a wild animal needs to be treated with respect and should be treated like a wild animal and not feed like a family pet.

its all over let it go the bear is dead legal or not heyiknowyou said it best "you cant undo dead and gutted" this bear post is getting beat worse than the bear got shot
post edited by KISHWAA - 2010/11/23 22:30:22

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/23 23:55:48 (permalink)
and yea I can see you drilling it Ironhead,it would fit right in there being a mature 17 year old hand fed,semi pet bear.

Why are you calling me out?  Problem?

Ironhed

post edited by Ironhed - 2010/11/24 00:25:36

Blacktop Charters
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 01:09:01 (permalink)
The Game Commission knew about the bear and the feeding.2 weeks prior to opening of bear they told Lewis not to feed the bear. This was a tame bear and could of been easily tranquilized and moved. The PGC chose not to do this and let this activity continue. Lewis's home was a feeding station for the bear and lots of people knew this including the PGC. They knew where the bear would den and his route. They make no attempt to post this area as a baiting site. Price also knew about this large bear and took advantage of this easy target.The truth will prevail and these people will have to live with themselves. This so called record bear will go down as Bozo The Tame Bear forever rather it goes to book or not. Sad to say that this thread has gotten more hits than some of the others here.
mossy oak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 03:37:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

and yea I can see you drilling it Ironhead,it would fit right in there being a mature 17 year old hand fed,semi pet bear.

Why are you calling me out?  Problem?

Ironhed

Hed,

I'll call you out....just because, lol. How you been bud?

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

mossy oak
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 883
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 03:39:32 (permalink)

Dude, where did you go to school? Did you graduate? Did you try Huked On Foniks? None of it worked for you, did it??

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 03:56:48 (permalink)
Let's see.

Man makes bear accustom to human interaction.

Man habituates bear to a pattern of travel, and behavior.

Man tells the world about the bear, and said pattern.

Man is shocked that bear gets hunted, and killed.

Man not very bright, and largely responsible for bear getting killed.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 03:59:21 (permalink)
"Did you try Huked On Foniks?"

Hey, what he did in Vegas, stays in Vegas

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 06:01:10 (permalink)
Don't think the oldman put 7/9 bolts into the thing, finished it off with head and neck shots, WTF is that ??

Actually feeding the bear for the first ten years was legal, I think the PGC are the ones that really dropped the ball here..World record bear could be a good thing for them if handled properly..

They knew that bear was being fed, They just cited the oldman for it.
Any trail leading to his place, the Resort, Pizza shop, those should have been designated Baited areas when they found the feeding at the oldmans..

This bear could have been moved as many of you have said, Danger Danger, he could hurt someone some day, still speculation, got by for17 years ok..Check your bear attack stats for the state..

Was the old fella wrong for feeding the bear, YES..

All you fellas that would go shoot this bear knowing it was a docile creature and unafraid of humans hand fed pet of some old dude. Just to get your name up in lights, That's sad state of our hunting community....

That's why I beleive the PGC has okayed the hunt, They wanted this bear gone..

Think it may have backfired for them...

PS. any of you try and tell me I would shoot that bear knowing of his background is full of **** ..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 06:06:50 (permalink)
I think OPINIONS are much A-holes everyone has ONE!!!! Whether this guy knew this WILD ANIMAL was hand fed or not. He took this bear on LEGAL HUNTING GROUND and the PGC sees ( NO ) Illegal action taken when/how/where this bear was harvested PERIOD!!!! Now personally I would not have killed the WILD bear just don;t like the taste and would not kill anything I will not eat. And I don;t think I could drag this bear out of the woods LOL

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 07:02:53 (permalink)
"DarDy's those two tame pen deer got eaten by something( dogs or yotes) or poached and not talked"

Now there is a leap of faith assumption by you.  I wrote that no one shot them, not that they weren't seen -- for years.  I supposes they died of old age because they were 4 and 5 when they escaped. 

But you dodged my question -- Is it unethical, since we didn't know they had escaped, but the locals did, for us to have shot them?

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 07:04:48 (permalink)
Doc,

You did see the smiley face after what I posted didn't you?

I was just funning with you.

Of course its different.

Sort of.

JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 07:08:05 (permalink)

I'm opened minded and can see both sides of the deal,but it comes to ethics,and yes S-10 feeding the bear and getting it use to humans was wrong,but your just as bad YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF PET DEER YOU FEED,the only difference is there not a state record bucks,but then I wonder ,what you would do if it was? You been feeding him the night before the season,out of your hand,and then next morning you hunt in the state park that borders your land,bang you just bagged the state record,same deal, is it right? Right or wrong this boils down to ecthics and fair chase! Some of us have them and well,like my mother said IF YOU CAN"T SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT THE PERSON SAY NOTHING AT ALL. As far as BOZO he's dead and thats the end of it,right or wrong,Price and his gang got to live with their mess,of killing,THE STATE RECORD PET BEAR THAT HAS A NAME,BOZO,I'm glad I didn't shoot him.

If I knew the bear's history, then no, I would not have shot it. But like many of us, I never knew of this bear and don't hunt bear that often. If  someone invited me to their camp and I saw a bear (not knowing it was basicslly tame) then I would shoot it.
If this guy knew about it (as stated here and in other media outpost) then he should have know better. And the GC should have marked the area as baited and taken care of the problem long ago.

What I'm saying is this: I hunt areas at times that I'm not familiar with (people do invite you to their camps or onto property they own). If I saw a legal animal while doing this, then I would to to harvest it. But if someone said he there is a large bear here that is a pet, don't shoot it, I would hunt somewhere else.

If the hunter knew about it, he should have know better, if he didn't it not his fault.

270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 07:30:54 (permalink)
cant shoot a bear in a tree??? never heard that one...RSB..is that true?????????
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 08:52:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

I think OPINIONS are much A-holes everyone has ONE!!!! Whether this guy knew this WILD ANIMAL was hand fed or not. He took this bear on LEGAL HUNTING GROUND and the PGC sees ( NO ) Illegal action taken when/how/where this bear was harvested PERIOD!!!! Now personally I would not have killed the WILD bear just don;t like the taste and would not kill anything I will not eat. And I don;t think I could drag this bear out of the woods LOL

So because it was legal that makes it right? I hope you're not the type of person who ever complains about tax rates, welfare, search and seizure laws, or anything else thats legal but still an annoyance to some. Because hey, if its a LEGAL ACTIVITY undertaken in the LEGAL manner then it must be ethical too. Right?

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
fishenfool46
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 1000
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 08:59:39 (permalink)
quit busting the dudes chops all of yenz know that is a BOZO NO NO

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
signed God
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 09:02:58 (permalink)
What I'm saying is this: I hunt areas at times that I'm not familiar with (people do invite you to their camps or onto property they own). If I saw a legal animal while doing this, then I would to to harvest it. But if someone said he there is a large bear here that is a pet, don't shoot it, I would hunt somewhere else.

Thats what I was trying to say
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: Monster Bear killed 2010/11/24 09:18:03 (permalink)
Sounds like everyone in the area knew about the bear. The people are stoopid for feeding it but the only real persons at blame would be the PGC for not removing the bear. There really is no excuse for them not to take it out of harms way, for its and the peoples safety.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: