Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/30 13:08:09 (permalink)

Oswego River Knuckleheads

Must be something in the Oswego River water (besides fish) to make folks toss away any smidgen of common sense or intelligence.

After 4 guys were swept downstream by rising waters Tuesday (I understand 2 guys died) and the other two were plucked out of the water downstream,

today - a bunch of other knuckleheads had to be rescued from a small island near the submeregd ledge
they perch on just below the power plant.

The guys on Tuesday were wading CHEST DEEP in fast moving water b4 the water increase.

Today's Genuises must have graduated from Moron School and limited their stupidity by only wading  WAIST DEEP in fast moving water b4 the water increase.

Now, I know someone may come along and accuse me of being a heartless SOB because I criticized the moronic actions of folks, including a couple that died.

But it is what it is. Darwinism at work.

I feel sorry for the Fire & Rescue folks that have to risk their own lives to pluck these nitwits out of the river.

114 Replies Related Threads

bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 13:37:36 (permalink)
    sad that folks don't use common sense

are fish really worth dying for?

i feel for their families
    but also resent their actions causing others to have to risk their lives to try to save them

darwin was right
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 14:20:31 (permalink)
    You got a link to the event? Like the Cuse papers or something? Off to work, be back around 0001- I hope.

Lyrical
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 14:38:59 (permalink)

Sad things is, especially if they knew they would be wading, is to just buy a floatation vest, small cost to save any lives lost. The guy's picked up will surely have a much steeper bill to pay.

Be safe on the river, if your gut tells you no, then don't wade past your shins.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 15:58:29 (permalink)
    i hope you never slip and go in because you were after a fish or trying to get to a secret spot
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 16:33:55 (permalink)
    Sorry ssgt12 - I have a freakin brain and know how to use it.

I don't wade above my knees, don't try to be hero and cross the SR in 750cfs or greater, don't chase a fish into precarious locations but rather point the rod at the fish and snap it off, and last but not least - I certainly know enough not to wade the Oswego river in waist deep or chest deep high water.

Save your internet angel icons for the true fishing heroes... 
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 17:59:09 (permalink)
    Drake dont you ever shut you over opinionated mouth, someone lost their lives and all you can do is badmouth them on the internet! Just a guess but you probably got you****kicked alot growing up, not many friends or girlfriends, if any. Thats why your such a know it all kinda ****, huh.
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 18:48:55 (permalink)
    I was there yesterday afternoon and this morning.  There is no doubt you must respect that river, and many don't.  Not sure I would put it the way Drake did, but several people do take risks that are not the best idea.  Now, when I used to go there 20+ years ago, I used to be a lot braver than I am now.  I spoke with a guy who witnessed the events on Tuesday.  Sad is all I can say.  This morning when I got there, I could see the river was up.  Took about an hour of watching guys hook fish that I couldn't get to before I waded into knee deep water to get out around the first run with all of its human inhabitants.  Was rewarded with several hookups and one 15 min. battle with a bruiser.  Knew landing it in that water was a very long shot, so when it made its third good run, I grabbed the reel spool and let it break off.  Could feel the water slowly rising and I knew it was time.  I found most of the people friendly and pleasant when I was there.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 19:32:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 3fan

Drake dont you ever shut you over opinionated mouth, someone lost their lives and all you can do is badmouth them on the internet! Just a guess but you probably got you****kicked alot growing up, not many friends or girlfriends, if any. Thats why your such a know it all kinda ****, huh.

I had another genius weave and blow by me on the interstate today. He must have doing 80 mph in torrential sheets of heavy rain. Guess I was in his way since I was doing 45 with the flashers on.

A few miles down the road, lo & behold, his Jeep Grand Cherokee was flipped over in the middle of the median. Since a few others cars were already stopped at the scene, I didn't bother.

Not sure of the outcome, but I'm sure the TV news talkinghead will blame the "tragic accident" on the weather/poor road conditions instead of the nitwit driving at a high rate of speed and hydroplaning his sorry azz off the pavement.

Light a PC candle and stick it where the sun don't shine 3fan.

cal200
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/09/30 21:24:12 (permalink)
    I am sure drake was not making fun or criticizing anybody! Lets all just use our heads while fishing!!!!

happiness is fishing!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/01 00:41:50 (permalink)
    Here's what I found. The siren may have not sounded? Or not enough warning given?
    Sad to see this happen. Have had the water creep up on me there with no warning in the past. scary.
    http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=delawareonline&sParam=34653153.story

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/01 20:56:41 (permalink)
    accidents happen... we are all responsible for our own actions.... for volunteer rescuers; they chose that path so i would not give them the remorse rather than the victim. a little shallow in my book... i will admit that i wade the river more adventurous than most, but i am always fully aware of the water and my surroundings. and i know when to say no... but is someone an idiot because they drown while fishing??? no, not in my book. and i think its a disrespect to refer to them as one. for christ sakes, imagine if friends or family see these posts. let's think a little before we speek. to bash eachother over views and opinions is one thing, but to talk down upon the recently deceased.... come on now... and by the way, i often go through turbulent water above my knees to cross or navigate to a desired spot... still standing after 22 years of that white water rippling around my legs. go ahead and call me an idiot...
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/01 21:41:15 (permalink)
    Does the power company still allow people to sign in, and go onto the west side near the dam above the power house?  That would be the best way to get out if you can (if you are on that side, not Leto Island).
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 00:23:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

and by the way, i often go through turbulent water above my knees to cross or navigate to a desired spot... still standing after 22 years of that white water rippling around my legs. go ahead and call me an idiot...

I'll wait until they fish your dead body out downstream to call you an idiot.

and I won't be posting any angel icons either....

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 07:51:29 (permalink)
    hey drake, there are so many words i can use to describe yourself. but i will refrain. you are a heartless individual. probably middle aged and single while never having a serious relationship and deep down inside you hate your life, you probably never get laid, and your remaining family probably hates you... just a guess but probably right... i promise you that you will never have a halo over your head. and i promise you they will never be fishing me out of this river dead. i know my limitations and wade with caution. how dare you more or less wish death upon me. you are a waste in my opinion. you can reply to this but i don't care, because i know where i stand and i know where you stand. you can go ahead and quote the last line that i said and make a sarcastic post referring to me getting swept away from where i stand, but i'll beat you to it. you suck at life my friend... do yourself a favor and start evaluating your own life and start thinking about what you need to do in your life to make it better. because it sounds like your life really sucks. and sounds like you are a miserable individual.
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 07:53:34 (permalink)
    db if you do slip and im around i will reach out to help you up i have done before and will do it again
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 07:56:27 (permalink)
    man i don't fight at all, but i would have no problem leveling your****in to some white water haystacks and laughing as you fight for your life. and i bet most in hear would chear it on...
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 08:36:08 (permalink)
    Dime couldnt agree more with you, and Ill leave it at that.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 08:54:38 (permalink)
    hey sgt. i'm right there with you. i've actually risked my life twice to save someone in trouble . the one that stands out the most was 3 years ago a late teenaged boy went down above the wall pool on the stairs side. while his drunk buddies were cracking up his face was turning white at the site of the water he was about to roll through. myself my brother and a long time guide on the river all stepped out in to about 4 ft. of water that was moving to grab this boy and drag him on to the bank. if we didn't get him, he would've been dead. of course no korkers, no knowledge, and not sober; but does someone deserve to die because of that??? no way in my book. an a-hole speeding down the highway cutting everyone else is a different story. there is no comparison when it comes to fishing. i'm the first to tell or warn someone who in my opinion is unsure of themselves or the water they are approaching. long story short; if you are unsure of yourself, don't do it.

3fan- you, me and many others i'm sure...
    ssgt12
    Avid Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 09:59:05 (permalink)
    semper fi brother i too pulled a guy out above the bridge he had a sizure and went down glad i was there to grab him before he went in the deep area i bet drake would have died laughing at that one!!! im sure a lot of old timers have stories and experences on that river
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 10:56:58 (permalink)
    yeah right, maybe he would've laughed so hard that the current would've swept him off of his feet. he should definitely consider controlling his laughter in such situations,or he might turn in to one of the idiots he speekks of...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 11:10:57 (permalink)
    Dracfoola I gots to give you your props.
    You are at least a better troll than Emal was.
    You're just an ****.
    He made up lies he and said he had video proof he never produced.
    You are at least smarter than that.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 13:30:55 (permalink)
    Hey Dime - do you know the winning numbers of next week's Powerball lottery? If so post them up.

Contrary to your crystal ball abilities about me, I live a very happy life and intend on keeping it that way by exercising sound judgement and teaching my kids the same by instilling in them the importance of refraining from taking "unnecessary risks" - especially when it involves something so minisculy important as a friggin fish.

No where did I state that I wished death upon you. But I stand by my words, that in my mind, you would be deemed an idiot if you tempt fate and lose by intentionally wading deep in fast moving currents. 

p.s. - I am quite amuzed at your "keyboard commado tough man talk physical threats" regarding leveling me into white water haystacks.

Thanks for the laugh....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 13:42:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Dracfoola I gots to give you your props.
    You are at least a better troll than Emal was.
    You're just an ****.
    He made up lies he and said he had video proof he never produced.
    You are at least smarter than that.

No troll, waderboy, just stating facts regarding how some folks lose all sense of common sense in certain situations.

It's their lives, their call. But I refuse to play the PC nonsense when folks fall victim to their own stupidity.

I spied a youtube video yesterday of some "Knuckleheads" fishing the SR during the height of the water release yesterday. If a huge piece of floating debris (e.g. tree trunk) suddenly turned the corner and wiped them away then they would have made the news reels as victims of a tragic event and certain folks would rush out to buy some candles.   

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 15:27:38 (permalink)
    Dracool you have shown enough to know you have experience in this fishery and that you could add some helpfull insight to the discussions. Instead you choose to incite rather than give insight.
    That makes you a troll.
    At least you are better at it than that lying sack of turds Emal, at least you are occassionaly amusing.
    I have no problem with you. I have been responding to you in an attempt to get you to become a contributor rather than a pest. Be who you are. Do whatever you want. It makes no difference to me.

Yes there are some boneheads that are risking their lives for the story about how they landed salmon when everyone else was afraid to fish.
    It still would be sad if some child had to grow up without a father even if it was because dad made a dumb decision.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 16:34:31 (permalink)
    I'll contribute more to actual fishing activity when I start regularly fishing up there once the snow starts flying and clears 95% of the circus off the river.

As far as a child growing up without a dad, you are absolutely correct - quite sad.

Perhaps the dumb father should have taken a quick glimpse of the pic of Little Johnny in his wallet before he took the plunge.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 17:18:17 (permalink)
    Makes no difference to little Johnny. All he knows is that his father died and left him! Fools will be fools but it makes their death no less tragic to those who loved them.

Yes they are only fish. I have caught literally and I mean literally thousands, plural, salmon and rainheads. I have caught ocean going steelhead in Wash. and B C . I love them but know they are not worth dying for. Some people don't have that chance and get carried away with big fish fever.
    It reflects badly on you to disrepect their passing even if it is because of their lack of forsight.
    I would counsul to never disrespect anothers loss.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 18:10:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

and by the way, i often go through turbulent water above my knees to cross or navigate to a desired spot... still standing after 22 years of that white water rippling around my legs. go ahead and call me an idiot...

I'll wait until they fish your dead body out downstream to call you an idiot.

and I won't be posting any angel icons either....

Here is where you mentioned something about my dead body. I don't take that lightly. And for your children I feel bad. Whenever a tragedy happened up there or where ever my parents taught me to view them a little differently. I'm sorry for stooping down to your level when saying I would level you in a whitewster haystack. I couldn't help it though. As I said before I don't take lightly to someone talking about my dead body. Do you blame me?
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 19:02:25 (permalink)
    DB - the statement I made is light years away from "wishing death upon you" and you know it.

As far as apologizing for your keyboard commando comments, no harm done, and no apology required.
    Believe me, there was no threat felt on my part.

As far as your childish rants about my life and kids and family, I'd don't pay no attention to crap like that, it rolls off my back like water off a duck.
    Besides, I don't stoop so low as to involve other folk's kids and families when playing interweb tag with others.

Don't worry, my kids will grow up just fine and dandy.

Thankfully they know enough to heed Ron White's wisdom "You Can't Fix Stupid".

I'd rather them have a realistic outlook on life instead of wearing watered down PC candlelight vigil blinders.

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Oswego River Knuckleheads 2010/10/02 22:51:23 (permalink)
    The paper said the water for that second incident in Oswego rose 4 feet in 10 minutes. Apparantly it was considered natural runoff so there had been no horn. The guys in that second incident had waded out to an island and got stuck there with the rising water. One didn't make it.
      Never been there, only heard about it over the years- wont go either.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: