Lead

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 11:15:18 (permalink)
Bulldog: I have heard that about certified "organic" produce you find in the store. I guess there are pesticides that are ok to use and still be an organic food, but they need to be used in such high quantities that it ends up being worse for the local environment in the end. I guess the only way to make sure is to grow your own!

Back to the lead, has anyone seen any type of study that indicates lead from anglers as an issue? Thats really what we need to defend/bash the proposal any more than we already have. I'll poke around a little.
fishbreath
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 11:15:54 (permalink)
The argument against lead shot here in N.Y. was that the small stuff looks a lot like something some ducks eat, then people eat the ducks and ingest lead in the duck meat. I think there was some sort of study to back it up but I know nothing about the study. A person can still buy larger size lead in N.Y. and can possess any size including the Bs and BBs popular with fly and float fishermen. I don't know about possessing lead shotgun shot which is probably how a lot of lead gets into waterways frequented by waterfowl, I do know you can't buy it here. The whole thing sounds like a victory for PETA and their pals to me. Since it's not illegal to have it or use it, I have to buy my smaller sinkers when out of state. I tried bismuth and tin sinkers and found that they suck. If someone were to market a decent replacement for lead I would use it, but I don't see any companies bothering to make it as there doesn't seem to be much demand for a costlier and inferior product.
post edited by fishbreath - 2010/09/03 11:16:47
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 11:55:36 (permalink)
Then ban eating ducks

DT, they haven't made pennys out of copper for years...
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 12:01:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

~my 2 copper pennies worth! ~dt

your two copper pennies aren't solid copper... just the outsides are.  stop polluting the cash registers and piggy banks
bird dog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 524
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 14:24:03 (permalink)
I would not be against banning lead. There is absolutely no way that it cannot do some harm to the waterways. The thing about the ducks eating lead shot is a good example. Not good if you eat the ducks and certainly not healthy for the ducks themselves.

If you ever fished Lake Ontario there is (or at least was) a trolling tactic in use there called a "drop ball". Basically it involved attaching about a 1/2 pound lead ball to the line with a pin and spring mechanism. When a fish would hit the pin would pull and the ball would drop off. Imagine how much lead could accumulate at the bottom of Lake Ontario after years and years of who knows how many fisherman doing this.
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 14:33:26 (permalink)
tungsten is more dense than lead...so you could use less

but costs more
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 17:05:20 (permalink)
They can have my Lead when they pry my cold dead fingers off of my Lead pot.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

eyeassassin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 847
RE: Lead 2010/09/03 21:49:51 (permalink)
**** right bings i made some fresh sinkers and jigs tonight

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
moose22dog
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 198
RE: Lead 2010/09/04 10:20:15 (permalink)
i have roughly 60 lbs of sinkers made up and a 100+ lb of wheel weights just waiting to be melted. if i don't give too much away that should last me for some time...LOL. the whole lead ban is bullchit if you ask me, either way not going to change how i fish. tight lines justin

your "game fish" is my bait.....got flathead!!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 09:23:08 (permalink)
On "How Make It" (or something close to that title on the science channel, they were showing how car batteries were recycled and made.  They stated that the US throws away more lead in car batteries each year than is mined in all the lead mines in the world combined.  If that is true, it is doubtful that some lead shot from fishing or hunting is goint to amount a very high percentage of all the lead that finds its way into the environment.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 11:20:25 (permalink)
as a state certified "lead safe" contractor for years  and recently certified to be in compliance with the new Federal EPA  Renovation, Repair, and Painting Rule that went into effect 4-22-10,  i know enough about lead hazards to be an authority on the subject...............of making popcorn......not lead....

The shotgun approach to TOTAL ban seems overzealous and unwarranted .
If indeed there are "real" hazards in some major fished waterways, then target them specifically .
I could  support that "IF" they can show "credible" data to support the reason for a ban.

until then, don't let  pregnant women, and children chew  on your split shot or eat paint chips in homes built before 1978

..L.T.A.
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 17:25:08 (permalink)
something small scale now, over an extended period of time, becomes large scale.  Why do humans wait until it's too late to fix things?  90 percent of the scientific data we have compiled has taken place since the 90's.  Technology has boomed in the past 20 years.  We will not know the long term effects of it all for decades to come. 

"I'm keeping my lead," is the same mentality the coal and logging industries had prior to them ruining our streams here in Pa, but hey, who cares about the environment.

this is a step to ensure we, as sportsmen, are not impacting our resources in a negative fashion.  Waiting until there is evidence means it's too late, and will only give activists more ammo against us.  If fishing is an important aspect of your life, you will find the extra 50 dollars for your shotting.  Or, you could scrap the subsurface crap and start fishing dries.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 18:16:05 (permalink)
something small scale now, over an extended period of time, becomes large scale. Why do humans wait until it's too late to fix things? 90 percent of the scientific data we have compiled has taken place since the 90's. Technology has boomed in the past 20 years. We will not know the long term effects of it all for decades to come.

excellent. i have no problem swapping out tin for lead, or going in another direction in fishing. the name "tinhead" jig has a nice ring to it. already i have begun divesting myself of lead.

genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 19:46:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

Waiting until there is evidence means it's too late,

huh???
what in the he!! are you talking about??

If there's NO evidence of hazard , WHY would ANYONE support MANDATING a change?????

..L.T.A.
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 19:51:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: genieman77

huh???

If there's NO evidence of hazard , WHY would ANYONE support MANDATING a change?????

..L.T.A.

ay yi yi... no evidence as of YET.  in the main scope of things, our existence is a mere shred of the bigger picture.  If we don't refine our ways now, we have ourselves to blame.  Let's say we've been exposing lead to stream bottoms for 100 years.  Though there is no evidence that it has a negative impact, how can you be sure if we don't stop it now, there won't be a problem in another 100?

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 19:57:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: genieman77

huh???

..L.T.A.

ay yi yi... no evidence as of YET.  in the main scope of things, our existence is a mere shred of the bigger picture.  If we don't refine our ways now, we have ourselves to blame.  Let's say we've been exposing lead to stream bottoms for 100 years.  Though there is no evidence that it has a negative impact, how can you be sure if we don't stop it now, there won't be a problem in another 100?

duud, we can measure things to the umph degree these days.
if after a 100 years in the HEAVIEST fished small streams there is no measurable impact, the sky won't fall in another hundred years

..l.T.A.
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:04:38 (permalink)
If you say so!

amazes me how studies seem to reverse themselves everyday.  Scientists say one thing one day, and the opposite the next. 

-Art Lee
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:29:49 (permalink)

amazes me how studies seem to reverse themselves everyday.

could you site some examples for me, Jim?
please site ones that are NOT  "agenda" driven too

Scientists say one thing one day, and the opposite the next. 

Like eggs, butter and milk?

Look, I'm not saying there is or isn't a  need to ban lead in fishing tackle ...I don't know.
However, i DON'T support anything that comes down the pike from any  narrow agenda group , which BTW is often extreme and over board on many of their goals,  just cause "they" say we "should".
There has to a "real" reason.
and data should be from a NON agenda driven impact study

..L.T.A.
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:33:58 (permalink)
I don't really feel like it genie.

the point is, has lead been found to be a dangerous substance?  Yes.  Could it adversely affect the environment in 100-1000 years of long term exposure? Yes.  Do we know for sure?  No.  Does this mean we should sit around and do nothing about it so we can save a few dollars?  No.

we are on a downward spiral...

slash and burning... perfect example of what can happen to the environment when man alters it.
post edited by jimhalupka - 2010/09/05 20:35:36

-Art Lee
mathteacherrob
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:50:09 (permalink)
This lead ban is all a way for the liberal left to try to control what we can do and use for hunting and fishing. They want to eliminate lead from ammo, which would make it harder and more expensive for us as sportsman and women to have the ammo we need. If they can make it harder for us to get ammo then they will start trying to take away our guns. As far as the lead in fishing, unless someone dropped a whole bag of split shot in one place I don't see how the ducks or geese could mistake enough lead to cause them harm. I don't know how much it takes to cause harm to a duck, but my friend had three shotgun pellets in his foot after an accident and the hospital wasn't worried about getting them out of him. They eventually work their way out, if a duck eats lead shot, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that the lead would get passed out of the duck before it could cause any serious harm.

This lead ban is just getting me fired up because I see it as just a way of the liberal left trying to control sportsman and women. 
Flash
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:52:29 (permalink)
There is more lead (and mercury) falling out of the air from the power plants, than everyone sinkers combined, a couple sinkers in the water is nothing ---Pa is the nations largest polluter of waterways because of the coal fired power plants. Gotta have lights though!! Just sayin!!
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:55:10 (permalink)
This lead ban is just getting me fired up because I see it as just a way of the liberal left trying to control sportsman and women.

now the darned democrats hate fishermen.

jimhalupka
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 20:59:42 (permalink)
hahaha that is hilarious...

they are doing this JUST because they want us to spend more money, and it's contributing to the removal of our rights as wasteful hillbillies!

-Art Lee
mathteacherrob
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Lead 2010/09/05 22:01:13 (permalink)
I really think that they were trying to get the ban more for the ammunition then the fishing, but if you give up an inch they will take a mile. 
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 08:33:25 (permalink)

I don't really feel like it genie.

the point is, has lead been found to be a dangerous substance?  Yes.

if it gets into your blood stream in "sufficient" quality , yes.
Otherwise , no, it's not a "dangerous substance"

Could it adversely affect the environment in 100-1000 years of long term exposure? Yes.  Do we know for sure?  No.

then what, pray tell are you basing your assertion on that it "will" effect the environment  ???
"specifically" pertaining to a fishing lead ban

Does this mean we should sit around and do nothing about it so we can save a few dollars?

if NO impact can be shown, then the answer to your question is YES.
if it ain't broke, what are you trying to "fix"???

we are on a downward spiral...

slash and burning... perfect example of what can happen to the environment when man alters it.

This is what frustrates me the most about enviro orgs and their agenda.
OVER THE TOP analogies like  "slash and burn" .
Next you'll I'll be hearing if we don't ban lead split shot, it's a slippery slope and soon we'll revert   back to dumping mine tailings in the creeks.....

what's lacking in this debate, Jim..is COMMON SENSE proposals

..L.T.A.
bird dog
Expert Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 11:36:56 (permalink)

duud, we can measure things to the umph degree these days.
if after a 100 years in the HEAVIEST fished small streams there is no measurable impact, the sky won't fall in another hundred years

..l.T.A.

how do you know that? We cannot predict how much lead could leach into the water system in the next 100, or 200 years or whatever.  look, we know that lead is a toxic substance. My point is that with that knowledge, and with a viable alternative of an another less toxic or non-toxic substance the prudent thing to do would be to use that alternate substance. what will it hurt?

Lake Erie almost died once. Didn't we learn our lesson then? We need to be responsible stewards of the environment and do our best maintain/improve our water quality for future generations.

anyone here who has ever seen a bald eagle can in large part thank the legislature that banned DDT. If that hadn't been done they would likely be extinct by now.

It always cracks me up when these types of proposals are characterized as some kind of plot by the liberals to control our lifestyles. To state that the ban on lead shot will lead to taking away our right to own firearms is totally ludicrous. was the ban on lead in gasoline a left wing plot too?
post edited by bird dog - 2010/09/06 11:38:06
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 17:43:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bird dog We cannot predict how much lead could leach into the water system in the next 100, or 200 years or whatever.  l

why can't we??
I ain't buying that, Bird Dog, some of the water ways in the country have had heavy fishing pressure for a LONG time.

and why hasn't ANYONE sited ONE impact study to bring something of VALUE to support your side of the debate?
Is the WHOLE thing based on some boggyman  ???

Show me some data, man!!! I might be on your side then

we know that lead is a toxic substance. My point is that with that knowledge, and with a viable alternative of an another less toxic or non-toxic substance the prudent thing to do would be to use that alternate substance. what will it hurt?

It will have very little to no  impact on me personally.
I spend more on energy pops in one  week than I do for split shot in three seasons.
it won't be a burden to "me" .
it might to others anglers though who use more than just a few packs of split shot

Lake Erie almost died once. Didn't we learn our lesson then? We need to be responsible stewards of the environment and do our best maintain/improve our water quality for future generations.

here we go again with ridiculous analogies .
To compare the industrial poisons that were routinely discharged into Erie to lead shot just slays me....

anyone here who has ever seen a bald eagle can in large part thank the legislature that banned DDT. If that hadn't been done they would likely be extinct by now.

again, more over the top analogies.
But since you brought up DDT, lemmie ask, would you sacrifice some birds for millions of HUMAN lives that are lost to malaria  in 3rd world countries??

I WOULD!!!

It always cracks me up when these types of proposals are characterized as some kind of plot by the liberals to control our lifestyles.

That's for someone else, not me, but your going to have to  show me credible data for a good reason to ban lead for sport anglers.
so far, you who support a ban  have shown me NONE, ...cause ...."we don't know's, and  maybe's" don't get it with me.
Surely there MUST be SOME studies done???

and lastly, there are  only two ways for lead to enter your blood stream.
eating it and breathing it
can anyone show me a "genuine" risk of contamination from  lead in fishing products???
cause as i said, you very well might convince me.

til then, all you're  trotting out now are  boogymen as far as I'm concerned

..L.T.A.

post edited by genieman77 - 2010/09/06 17:45:17
bird dog
Expert Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 18:43:37 (permalink)
"But since you brought up DDT, lemmie ask, would you sacrifice some birds for millions of HUMAN lives that are lost to malaria  in 3rd world countries??

I WOULD!!! "

I wasn't talking about third world countries, I was talking about the USA.

"here we go again with ridiculous analogies . "

why is that ridiculous? we need to learn from our mistakes and exercise caution where it is prudent. I bet that the industries that were dumping PCB's, chordane, and dioxins into the great lakes forty years ago didnt' think (or care) about the long term effects.

"why can't we??
I ain't buying that, Bird Dog, some of the water ways in the country have had heavy fishing pressure for a LONG time."

define LONG time. just because we MAY have not documented any effects whose to say they might not appear down the road. do you want to take the responsibility for future generations having poisoned water when it could have been avoided? we have viable alternatives to lead, which we KNOW is toxic. that's my point. we have the opportunity NOW to possibly stop future harm to the waterways. why wouldn't we do it? you ask for data, I ask you to tell me where banning lead has any deleterious effects or significant impact on anglers and I will reconsider.  

we KNOW lead is toxic. we KNOW we have alternatives to lead. I ask you again - give me a good reason why we shouldn't err on the side of caution and use something else?

jimhalupka
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 19:36:27 (permalink)
some of these guys would rather save 50 bucks

-Art Lee
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Lead 2010/09/06 19:37:44 (permalink)
no data or studies available, eh?
you're kidding me right???
PLEASE tell me there is SOME shred of data published SOMEWHERE in the whole world wide web you could show me???

we know Poison Ivy and Hemlock are toxic too.
do you advocate ridding the shore lines of them???

..L.T.A.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: