Author
Fishenhunt
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/11 20:21:52 (permalink)

3 rods for Pa.

Folks

I'm one of the fellows who approached the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission last year about increasing the number of rods allowed per angler from two to three. Those of you who followed the effort know we were treated like poor relatives by the commissioners, castigated on Internet forums and held up to ridicule by the outdoor press. More importantly, our request was turned down unanimously by the commissioners.
However, there were - and still are - those within the agency who thought it was a good idea. An insider has asked me to prepare a thorough approach to the change with the idea of MAYBE re-submitting it at some point in the not-too-distant future. I have mixed feelings about that, but have decided to go ahead.
So, I am asking that any of you who can provide me with any good reasons for this change - and especially anyone who can offer any economic incentive for Pennsylvania businesses for residents - to let me know. I plan to compile them into a fact sheet that could be presented to the commissioners as a comprehensive argument in favor of three rods.
Also, bear in mind that this was cast as a carp vs. trout debate. Although I seldom fish for anything other than carp, I do know there was a lot of support for the idea among other segments of the angling public, including a lively discussion on this board. I need to know if those of you who fish Lake Erie would benefit from this change.
And yes, I am aware that Mark Twain said "If at first you don't succeed, quit. No use making a ****ed fool out of yourself." I fear I may only be proving Mark right, but I'm going to take a swing at it anyhow.

Thanks
Joe Gorden
joegorden@netzero.net

112 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/11 20:35:45 (permalink)
    I for one would welcome the opportunity to fish 3 rods per angler, especially when trolling. Those days trolling for eyes or muskies by myself or with one other person would be much more productive if I could get 3 or 6 rods out.

The only downside is that I do agree that the trout crowd may not take to it so kindly. Primarily I feel this would generate the most concern among the trout fisherman at lakes and other highly accessible locations.

Perhaps a provision could be made to restrict the maximum allowable rods per person to be 2 for approved trout waters from first day to say, maybe June.

Good Luck!
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/08/11 20:36:15
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/11 21:23:48 (permalink)
    I would love to have that 3rd rod while trolling for eyes...

I like the idea of limiting rods to 2 on the trout stream till say Memorial Day...I really dislike  bucket brigade mentality of the first few weeks...
    Mabee keep the approved trout waters at 2 only....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

eyegore
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/11 21:28:03 (permalink)
    I usually fish Erie with one other person in my boat so going to 3 per person would be a benefit to me and my fishing partner.  When I do have 3 on board, 2 per person is more than adequate.   I can't speak for the land fishermen so I won't comment either way on the possible benefit for them.  Maybe increasing to 3 for boat fishermen(women) would be a place to start.   
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/11 21:51:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I would love to have that 3rd rod while trolling for eyes...

I like the idea of limiting rods to 2 on the trout stream till say Memorial Day...I really dislike  bucket brigade mentality of the first few weeks...
    Mabee keep the approved trout waters at 2 only....

Sounds great to me
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/11 21:57:15 (permalink)
    The trout gods in PA will never let it happen, having said that anything I could do to help with your proposal let me know. I could easily run 15 rods with 4 guys.
    SHINOFF2183
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 02:57:20 (permalink)
    Wow. Ive been using three rods for 2 years. Never been told nothing. Oops.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 06:27:13 (permalink)
    Joe, do you need someone to speak at another meeting if so leTt me no K. The Fish Commission just simply loves me just the way I love them remember that fiasco duUD?

Make it a $10 third rod stamp, I heard they like money...Surely that's enough to change there mind over 10" fishes that's only real purpose is bait For bankfishing cats and such make sure they enforce a law that you can only have them spread out so far too.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 06:37:56 (permalink)
    There's so many ways to look at this issue. I'd like to use 3 rods if trolling for eyes on any lake but if fishing from shore in a river, 3 would take up to much space and not let others get to the good spot too. I've spider rigged for panfish in KY, using 4 rods out the front of the boat. Wasn't a problem to handle them. From shore, it will be diffrent. Could cause a lot of problems with other fisherpersons there too. I know they wont approve a 3 rod rule for boats only so we're kind of stuck here with the two. I still wonder why we can use 5 on ice.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 11:23:47 (permalink)
    We should be able to use 10 rods/tip-ups on the ice!  Got support from me to use three rods per person all year around but if it takes compromise, 2 rods only on approved trout waters until Memorial weekend would be fine.  I'd be fine with the $10 extra rod stamp but have it good for the boat and/or the person.  So, if I ever get my Erie boat, I can buy some stamps at the beginning of the year and anyone catching a ride with me could use one of my "boat" permits so they don't have to buy one just for one trip on Erie.  Of course, you could only use as many "boat" stamps as you have persons on board.  The extra revenue would be nice for the fish commish and I think enough people would buy it to make it worthwhile. 
    deerhuntingpa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 11:41:59 (permalink)
    these are all excellent ideas you got my support especially the two rod trout idea 
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 12:00:12 (permalink)
    i couldn't even imagine the wall-nutters with 3 rods each or the elk herd at the access area!
    will they have to put up a chair to mark which rods are who
    s?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 12:45:54 (permalink)

They was a rather lengthy and heated discussion about a suggestion from the public meeting in Harrisburg where it was suggested from several anglers present to allow an angler to use THREE fishing rods.... the commissioners voted to NOT address this suggestion at this time....

That was from a report I wrote about the PFBC meeting in Brockway on April 18th, 2010.

The discussions on three rods lasted about a half hour with folks making comments from both sides.
    Finally a commissioner asked those of us in the "general public section" for comments.

Those comments were basically about shoreline fishing and the amount of space that would be given to each angler for his or her three rods... 3 feet..5 feet.. 10 feet..15 feet ????

Opening day of trout was mentioned in the sense that it is elbow to elbow on many local streams..

A couple steelhead anglers mentioned the "anger" and "situations" that arise now on some of the steely streams and that's using one rod... can you image if each had three and the space allowed to fish them ???

Another commented on the number of "small" (illegal)fish that may die because of swallowing the hook before the angler could get to that third rod..

No one there that day in the public section thought it was a good idea... NO ONE !!!

and a commissioner stated that is how the "replies" to public comments to the PFBC were more against the idea than for it.... I do not have my notes anymore but if memory serves me correctly the replies to Harrisburg were four to one against the three rod rule change...

Today I could add one more comment after fishing a headboat in Erie... I have seen guys using two poles on the boat.. many watching one while the other drifted and tangled the guy next to them.. I can only imagine a third one...

To allow space for a third rod I would have to move over even more multiplied by 40 guys on the boat and that would mean some folks would not be able to even get on the boat.. more tangled lines and wasted time untangling them.

Instead of 40 passengers he may only be able to handle 30.. revenues lost for the owner.... less chance to get on the boat for the average guy.... and for what a greedy person wanting to fish 3 rods

So for the original quote on this topic of ---

Those of you who followed the effort know we were treated like poor relatives by the commissioners, castigated on Internet forums and held up to ridicule by the outdoor press. More importantly, our request was turned down unanimously by the commissioners.

IMHO ===

That certainly was not true at the meeting I attended...
    The suggestion was talked about at length and several commissioners DID present comments in favor of the idea... ""For carp and cat-fishing at night it may work""

None of them were actually in favor of the rule change... other than that type fishing..

As for internet and outdoor press.. that's the "average joes" being heard and MANY did not and do not like the idea of allowing a person to use three rods.....

the commissioners stated that replies they were getting on the idea were not in favor of the three rod rule change... so they obviously voted accordingly at the meeting that followed the one I was at in Brockway....

just my 2 cents worth ...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/12 12:49:36
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 13:15:45 (permalink)
    Today I could add one more comment after fishing a headboat in Erie... I have seen guys using two poles on the boat.. many watching one while the other drifted and tangled the guy next to them.. I can only imagine a third one...

To allow space for a third rod I would have to move over even more multiplied by 40 guys on the boat and that would mean some folks would not be able to even get on the boat.. more tangled lines and wasted time untangling them.

Instead of 40 passengers he may only be able to handle 30.. revenues lost for the owner.... less chance to get on the boat for the average guy.... and for what a greedy person wanting to fish 3 rods

Couldn't they just make it a rule on THEIR boat that no one can fish more than 2 rods if it becomes an issue? They are private so you play by their rules on their ship.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 13:16:38 (permalink)
    Its funny, dozens of state's anglers in the US, especially southern states, seem to fish unlimited rods with ease.  Guess PA fisherman are just on the low end of the evolutionary scale when it comes to fishing abilities. 

As far as the head boats go, easy enough to institute a boat rule of max. 2 rods per angler, just like they do on ocean head boats and many piers. 

I'll lend my support in any way I can but it seems it will be a difficult row to hoe going against the fisherman that like to be regulated to death.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 13:26:50 (permalink)
    2+ rods for trolling is a great idea, and i would agree with what many said on here before, limit shore-fishing to 2 rods..usually when I shore fish I hold one rod and I set the other rod up with a bell and I dont walk more than a few feet away from the second rod at night
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 13:58:55 (permalink)
    Bucket brigade has way to much financial clout with PFBC...Don't mess with their limit of trout from the bucket..

Just beacuse you are allowed to use 3 rods doesn't mean you have to...

Went fishing today and guess what only took one rod.....

I bet the headboats would cut back from 40 paying passengers to 30...NOT..
    That's a very silly arguement..Captain of the ship would set the rules on his boat....

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 14:36:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits
    I bet the headboats would cut back from 40 paying passengers to 30...NOT..
    That's a very silly arguement..Captain of the ship would set the rules on his boat....

Exactly. Like...maybe...charging per rod instead of per person.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 14:46:44 (permalink)
    As Eyes said, southern crappie fisherman use the spider rod setups with 12 or more rods. Pa people are to stupid to know how to do things. We can't be trusted buying beer or wine in a store how can we be trusted with more than 2 lines? Bings got the idea, limit the time to after Memorial Day. Sometimes good ideas die because they are not proposed properly.I dont troll or own a boat but see no problem with multiple rods for boating. Maybe limit it to boats only? Or from 9 pm to daylite for the cat men? Got to be ways .....WF
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 15:08:47 (permalink)
    wow, someone woke the sleeping jack****. let me introduce the king of negative deflection.....DR TROUT. it will always be OUR fault for not having enough people their, or that the earth didnt align properly on the 3rd saturday of the month.
    post edited by bigtrout4x4 - 2010/08/12 15:14:06
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 15:54:17 (permalink)
    I feel really bad for anyone that can't run three rods, it's not freaking rocket science...Maryland allows three rods I fish there sometimes and never had a problem night or day
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2010/08/12 15:56:02

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:18:07 (permalink)
    wow, someone woke the sleeping jack****. let me introduce the king of negative deflection.....DR TROUT. it will always be OUR fault for not having enough people their, or that the earth didnt align properly on the 3rd saturday of the month

I did not blame anyone for anything.. I just reported what happened at the meeting I was at and my opinions of why it did not get passed.. what's negative about that... ???

From my postiton... it's a positive.. a good thing... it did NOT pass...

you're just on the side that did not get the three rod rule and have sour-grapes to spill....

You read way too much into my posts bigtrout4X4 .. but like many... always have and will contiune to add nothing just attacks at me for my postions or opinions...

and we are all entitled to our OWN opinions.... and I have as much right as anyone to post them here as long as I follow the rules..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/12 16:24:03
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:23:44 (permalink)
    Kinda like the crossbow debate Doc..As you blasted evryone against inclusion...
    Why would you want to deny someone opportunity to enjoy their sport with their weapon/weapons of choice ??

How does a 3 rod limit on any of the lakes affect you???? Yet you still are against it...Denying opportunity...

You are against it why ????

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:35:34 (permalink)
    I thought Dr. Trout was done with this forum awhile back....

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:39:14 (permalink)
    Because I do not like a bunch of different rules and regulations...

Look at all the different seasons, size limits, regulations for Lake Erie.. inland, Rivers, streams, wild trout, stocked trout... special rules for special lakes.. fly projects,, catch and release, lures only, flies only..certain sizes at certain times of the year..etc,,,etc

now a bunch of different rules for when and if a person can use three rods....

too many rules now...

I can sort of see hanging 3 poles out of the back of your boatwhen fishing alone, or those wnating to string out poles at night for carp and cats when there is not others around.....

but in all truth the only reason I can see a person would want to do that is to increase the odds of catching fish... as if two poles instead of just one has not already increased the odds of success.. ??

which was basically the reason I wanted crossbows.. to increase my odds of "catching" (harvesting) a deer...

Why would you want to deny someone opportunity to enjoy their sport with their weapon/weapons of choice

Not wanting to denying anyone the opportunity just limiting the number of "weapons" to be used at one time....

just like I would not support automatic weapons for harvesting wildlife...

hope that helps explain my position/opinion

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/12 16:47:41
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:44:47 (permalink)
    Sounds kinda selfish to me..

Too many regs arguement doesn't hold water either.....

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:46:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_314425/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#314425
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/08/12 22:01:05

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:46:41 (permalink)
    Said I was done in the hunting sections ----

why does it bother you so much ??????

just don't read my stuff if it causes you such grief...
    or better yet just ignore it.. especially if you can not add anything to the conversation...

what did this add to a discussion about three rods ?????

why reply and bring more attention to what I write ???

I guess you just can't stand someone who disagees with your your opinions.. that's a shame... surrounding one's self with only those that agree with them 100%

BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/08/12 16:48:47
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:50:21 (permalink)
    Too many rules for fishing but I can't shoot a 4 pt buck...WF
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 rods for Pa. 2010/08/12 16:52:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Said I was done in the hunting sections ----

why does it bother you so much ??????

just don't read my stuff if it causes you such grief...
    or better yet just ignore it.. especially if you can not add anything to the conversation...

what did this add to a discussion about three rods ?????

why reply and bring more attention to what I write ???

I guess you just can't stand someone who disagees with your your opinions.. that's a shame... surrounding one's self with only those that agree with them 100%

BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought you had some integrity and were a man of your word..

Sorry my bad......

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_314425/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#314425
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/08/12 17:03:33

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: