New toy

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
RE: New toy 2010/08/29 19:28:26 (permalink)
rollcaster, Since you have a smaller boat and space is probably at a premium; may I recommend a permanent set of lights connected to a simple switch and then commected to a lawn tractor battery ( which usually will fit beneth the seats, out of the way). Very re-chargeable, lasts longer than a flashlight and can be re-charged with a small solar panel or, off your car. Did that to one of mine years ago and the guy who bought it still has the same set-up (but a new battery). Also, I recommend an air horn, fastened to a cup holder, and a whistle on a chain fastened to the side of the boat so it doesn't disappear. Chains for your oars too. If one gets kicked overboard they won't drift away. I used snap type nylon dog collars. They don't make noise and they Flex really well.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: New toy 2010/08/29 20:16:36 (permalink)
Indy thanks for the advice, lights are going to get put on and got plans for some other stuff. I bought a new set of oars for it so some type of chains or rope might be a good idea. Do oars float? If not they should. lol. I put a carpeted storage box on the front so prob put the other battery in there when I do the lights. As someone said allready it doesnt take much to clutter up a small boat so the storage in the front was nice to be able to put jackets and other things in.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
RE: New toy 2010/08/30 18:33:50 (permalink)
Congrats on the boat.  I think most oars float.  Mine do, not that I have ever dropped any...  Transom savers definitely do not float, but should.

Here are some tips that I have for the kids, which is 90% of my fishing now. A container of crafts and toys makes my fishing trips with the kids last a lot longer.  Keeps from forcing fishing on them if they don't happen to be interested that day.  Buying a few dozen monnows always helps in entertaining too...

Responding to what Marty said, we had a scanoe growing up.  I remember losing half of the stuff in the boat from my Dad sitting down a little awkwardly.  Yours looks a little more forgiving to stand up in though, but not usually the best idea at a public lake.  I recommend a gallon jug with half of the top removed to help in emergencies.  A 5 gallon bucket for a garbage/holding your minnow bucket/ect. can double as a potty for the kids in a pinch.  Better than wet pants and ending the day early, or trying to hang them over the edge...

Have fun and be safe.  Check out the PFBC's boating handbook.  It's free and full of important info.

Oh yeah, if yours has a plug, make sure to put it in before launching.  Kind of sucks putting it in while already afloat!
rollcaster
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: New toy 2010/08/30 19:10:53 (permalink)
Ya this week im takin her out without the kids, the last couple trips where fun but kids get bored fast. My boy is into it but the little girl last about 5 min. The last two trips we got to the middle of the dam and she has to pee. lol. I got a few trips on it now and feel more comfortable with it as far as safty and the battery working like it should. I got a interstate marine deep cycle batt for it, anybody know how much time you can get out of one trollin?
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
RE: New toy 2010/08/30 20:47:31 (permalink)
i too have a interstate deep cycle...works for me...we troll usually for a couple hours and it works great..but we only have a 27lb thrust minn-kota
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: