Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/11 23:27:05 (permalink)

kicking the 2 stroke

Ok so I'm getting fed up with my old Johnson 9.9 2-stroke and I wanna switch over to a 4 stroke. This would be for a Alumacraft 14 foot semi V. Basically looking to find something more reliable as I have had my fair share of headaches with this old 2 stroke. I want an outboard that will just fire up and go

I really like Honda small engines but never owned a outbaord from them. Tohatsu seemed to be cheaper in price but are they too low in price? Yahama and Merc are quailty names as well.

any input would be great

60 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 00:34:33 (permalink)
    Before given any advise several questions need answers. #1 New or used? #2,2 stroke or 4 stroke, #3,HP rating #4, What are you looking for? Easy to start,smokeless,trolls low with no loadup,low top speed, high top speed, lightweight, cost......?
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 07:42:28 (permalink)
    I have a Honda 20.  Never any problems.  I have a friend that has a Tohatsu 20.  No problems there either, but he likes my Honda better.  He borrowed my Honda for a while before he got his Tohatsu.  He says the Honda is quieter and uses less fuel.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 09:29:48 (permalink)
    Love my Evinrude, it's quiet, starts easily, fuel efficient and virtually maintenance free (knock on wood).
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 09:53:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Before given any advise several questions need answers. #1 New or used? #2,2 stroke or 4 stroke, #3,HP rating #4, What are you looking for? Easy to start,smokeless,trolls low with no loadup,low top speed, high top speed, lightweight, cost......?

Used if good deal on it, always leary though with how previous owner treated it. 4 stroke for sure, sick of my old 2 stroke..9.9 HP mainly for lighter weight as this is for a 14 foot Alumacraft model F7 semi V jon boat. Tiller as well.  Easy to start and peace of mind out on the water is main thing, cause right now it like a craps shoot with the 2 stroker firing up. Would be used in lakes like Pymy, Woodcock, Wilhelm...trolling without fouling is a big plus, dont really care about top speed as the 14 footer is pretty light
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 12:46:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

Ok so I'm getting fed up with my old Johnson 9.9 2-stroke and I wanna switch over to a 4 stroke. This would be for a Alumacraft 14 foot semi V. Basically looking to find something more reliable as I have had my fair share of headaches with this old 2 stroke. I want an outboard that will just fire up and go

I really like Honda small engines but never owned a outbaord from them. Tohatsu seemed to be cheaper in price but are they too low in price? Yahama and Merc are quailty names as well.

any input would be great

imo theyre all good...but when i bought a new boat/motor i took into account what if i was somewhere and something happened to the motor. where can i get parts/service easier almost anywhere. i had planned on buying a honda but with all of the merc dealers i bought a merc. hopefully you never need them but almost anywhere and everywhere you go theres a merc dealer nearby.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/07/12 12:49:09

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 12:53:55 (permalink)
    Well i am just asking the question here. Have you looked into tuning up your motor? By the way it sounds your motor has been reliable in terms of major problems. It does not matter if your motor if 2 stroke, 4 stroke, pull start, elecrtic start.... if not properly tuned it becomes a pain in the butt.

For the cost of a good used motor, they are not cheap if you are lookin for a good one, i would look in to getting the motor tuned up. For under 200$ i bet you can make that motor run like new. (assuming you have not worn out major components, cylinders, cranks, lower unit gear...) Remember at one time that motor ran like new, there is no reason why (except for major issues)it cant again.

FYI lookin at a 4 stroke does not mean it will start easier, and be less to maintain. Just my personal prefrence, i would take a good 2 stroke over a good 4 stroke. I have owned many motors in my life, 2's and 4's i like my 2s. Do not get me wrong, i like 4s also but i prefer the 2's.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 13:03:06 (permalink)
    jmo but less fuel, less noise, less stench, smoother running, easier starting, etc..., i'll never own another 2-stroke. my kickers a 2-stroke and when its time is up, i'll be 2-stroke free.

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 13:15:21 (permalink)
    Have to agree with commander on this one , the exhaust fumes from a 2 stroke are just nasty when trolling all day. The aerator on my minnow bucket makes more noise than my kicker...

Oh, it's a 15 hp 4 stroke 'rude...
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 13:22:04 (permalink)
    ""

see, now that wasnt so hard. just sayin'

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 13:23:14 (permalink)
    I love jokin' with my buddys that have Mercs. I tell them the reason that there's so many Merc shops around is because there has to be.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 13:39:17 (permalink)
    gotta say, if the nearest honda dealer wasnt approx. 40 miles from me and so few of them in between, id probably have one...but the almost $2000 more for the honda didnt help sway me towards the drive/lack of dealers...and mines a yamaha with a black cover...but the hondas are awesome motors.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 14:00:58 (permalink)
    anzomick:

It's a 1974 electric start...got passed down to me after it sat in a shed for years. Its been to shop couple of times over past few years. I'm just sick of the 2 strokes.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 14:19:13 (permalink)
    Four strokes are great motors. The thing you must consider is weight. They are much heavier than two strokes and will push your boat slower than a 2 stroke. If trolling is what you do most a small 4 stroke could be you. A properly tuned 2 stroke would be my choice for a primary motor on a 14ft. When setup right and maintained they perform well. Once warmed up and the proper mix, fumes dont seem to be a issue and they will run at idle for hours. As far a brands well its like everything else, Ford are better than Chevys. This debate could go on forever. As far as a used 2 stroke Johnson/Evinrude would be my choice. Different STROKES for different folks!!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 14:28:24 (permalink)

anzomick:

It's a 1974 electric start...got passed down to me after it sat in a shed for years. Its been to shop couple of times over past few years. I'm just sick of the 2 strokes.

I think that is most of your problem, Lack of care and proper maint. Sound like you pretty much have your mind set on a 4 stroke. Honda would be a good choice.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 14:43:40 (permalink)
    Commander, you must have got a fantastic deal on your Merc. I thought I did pretty good paying $3000 for my Honda 20. The main reason I chose Honda was the fact that all they have ever made, since the early/mid '70's was 4 stroke outboards. IMO, everyone else is playing catch-up.

Psu, I think lack of proper maintenance and E-10 fuel is the culprit. The internal fuel lines on a motor that old cannot hold up to the alcohol in today's fuel.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 15:10:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trout About

Commander, you must have got a fantastic deal on your Merc. I thought I did pretty good paying $3000 for my Honda 20. The main reason I chose Honda was the fact that all they have ever made, since the early/mid '70's was 4 stroke outboards. IMO, everyone else is playing catch-up.

Psu, I think lack of proper maintenance and E-10 fuel is the culprit. The internal fuel lines on a motor that old cannot hold up to the alcohol in today's fuel.

It very well could be, like I said it was in a shed of a family members for quite a few years, till I was given it. When I got it, I fired it up in a garbage can  to see if it would run, once it did, it went straight to the local repair shop for a proper review. It has new plugs, and I run 50:1 in it with Johnson brand 2 stroke oil. 

The Tohatsu is 10 pounds lighter than the Honda...but when I think of small engines, I think of Honda first

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 15:20:20 (permalink)
    Do a little research on used motors, see who has the best resale value, that'll tell you a lot...

If memory serves me (doubtful), I think that small mercs are made by yamaha, probably some other "twins" out there as well...
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 15:43:27 (permalink)

It very well could be, like I said it was in a shed of a family members for quite a few years, till I was given it. When I got it, I fired it up in a garbage can  to see if it would run, once it did, it went straight to the local repair shop for a proper review. It has new plugs, and I run 50:1 in it with Johnson brand 2 stroke oil. 

The Tohatsu is 10 pounds lighter than the Honda...but when I think of small engines, I think of Honda first

Is it only starting problems with your 2 stroke?  Have you ever had a carb job done?  You can get a carb kit online for those fairly cheap and if you have even minor DIY skills, rebuild it yourself.  Also, try running Seafoam in your gas.  Do the heavy cleaning dosage at first, as suggested on the bottle, then use the maintenance amounts in your gas tanks after that.  The "cleaning" dosage won't be needed if you rebuild your carb. 

I have a '78 15 hp Johnson pull start and it will give me a little trouble the first time out each spring but after that, works pretty well.  And for that first start up (after I turned it over a couple times), a quick spray of starting fluid in the air intake and it usually fires right up. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 16:04:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Is it only starting problems with your 2 stroke?  Have you ever had a carb job done?  You can get a carb kit online for those fairly cheap and if you have even minor DIY skills, rebuild it yourself.  Also, try running Seafoam in your gas.  Do the heavy cleaning dosage at first, as suggested on the bottle, then use the maintenance amounts in your gas tanks after that.  The "cleaning" dosage won't be needed if you rebuild your carb. 

I have a '78 15 hp Johnson pull start and it will give me a little trouble the first time out each spring but after that, works pretty well.  And for that first start up (after I turned it over a couple times), a quick spray of starting fluid in the air intake and it usually fires right up. 

Sometimes it starts fine with the electric start, other times I have to pull start it. Start in neutral, then I put the tiller into shift mode, shift into foward and slowly throttle up. After few mins It will start knocking, lose power make a "waffling sound" and then rev back up to normal, but as soon as you start to throttle down it will die and be a pain to restart. Doesnt appear to overheat. Maybe its too leaned out is what I was told by friends. And I have a fully charged Interstate RV/Marine deep cycle battery

Yesterday, after we made our third move while fishing  I hit the starter button and sparks came off the positive terminal and it never did that before so that was interesting to say the least, had to pull start it and it died about 100 yards from dock. It has new plugs and external fuel line that runs from motor to my 6 gallon external tank, with fresh gas. Doesnt smoke all at after  startup

I think I'm gonna do one more visit to repair shop before I visit the showroom for a 4 stroke Honda.
    post edited by psu_fish - 2010/07/12 16:05:26
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 16:09:07 (permalink)
    I like my nissan marine 8 HP longshaft / electric start / w alternator / tiller .... Bought it online for $1875 out the door included shipping and ( no tax) from tennessee had the motor 4 days after I ordered ....... Same motor as the Tohatsu ( same manufacturer ) Do online search there are multiple companies that ship to your door free ..... DC
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 16:09:59 (permalink)
    Air leak

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 16:25:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Air leak

Well that would make sense, its a brand new fuel line so it prolly internal? The fuel line was properly connected because the arrows on the bulb pointed the right way
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 17:38:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

If memory serves me (doubtful), I think that small mercs are made by yamaha, probably some other "twins" out there as well...

When I got my Honda in 2004, the dealer (who also had Mercs) told me the small Merc motors were being made by Tohatsu.  That was 6 years ago, so things could have changed.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 17:53:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Air leak

Well that would make sense, its a brand new fuel line so it prolly internal? The fuel line was properly connected because the arrows on the bulb pointed the right way

Tighten bolts
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 18:04:32 (permalink)

my merc 115 4 stroke is my main motor. the same honda was about 2k more. i have a 2-stroke kicker.

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 18:06:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Do a little research on used motors, see who has the best resale value, that'll tell you a lot...

yamah used to make mercs powerheads. they had a feud a few years ago and unless something has changed, merc is on its own. could be different with somebody else and merc with their smaller horsepower motors, though.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/07/12 18:07:45

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 18:19:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Four strokes are great motors. The thing you must consider is weight. They are much heavier than two strokes and will push your boat slower than a 2 stroke. If trolling is what you do most a small 4 stroke could be you. A properly tuned 2 stroke would be my choice for a primary motor on a 14ft. When setup right and maintained they perform well. Once warmed up and the proper mix, fumes dont seem to be a issue and they will run at idle for hours. As far a brands well its like everything else, Ford are better than Chevys. This debate could go on forever. As far as a used 2 stroke Johnson/Evinrude would be my choice. Different STROKES for different folks!!

curious as to what motor/s you own/run?

back in the day, weight/speed was a factor. now its a 15-35 lb difference on the smaller outboards.

jmo but i wouldnt consider ever buying a used johnson/evinrude 2-stroke. while its true they were/are great motors, and ive owned many, and its all ive ever owned until i bought my merc. johnson/evinrude going bankrupt, being taken over by bomabardier/can-am, and back to johnson/eveinrude again, has caused a huge issue in the lack of parts and service for older 2-stroke "johnsonrudes".
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/07/12 18:45:09

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 18:26:49 (permalink)
    My mistake.  I thought you were talking about the small motors.  I definitely can see a $2000+ price difference on the larger motor.  I didn't even price the Merc when I got by boat and big motor (135).  I was set on the Honda already.  I did shop dealers though.  My best package price was in OH......$2200+ less than the PA dealer.
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: kicking the 2 stroke 2010/07/12 18:38:39 (permalink)
    if i told you what i saved in ohio vs pa you wouldnt believe me. i suggest to anybody and everybody buying a new boat/motor to go to ohio. amazing difference in $$$. people tell me what they pay in pa and i cant believe the price difference and cant believe they pay the $$$.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/07/13 00:48:29

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: