Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 10:02:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: andyd8403

Hey guys,

I own a 16 foot boat and have no problems going out and fishing on rough days where the waves are 4 to 5 foot rollers. You just have to be smart enough to know to not go out in huge white caps and other conditions. You also need to know how to handle your boat, if you do not know how to do that you could be in any size boat and have problems. So ShutUpnNfish a 14-16 foot boat is perfectly fine to fish with as long as the person knows what they are doing.

Best of luck to you then my friend....Do you take your children, family and friends out in your 16 footer too in 4 to 5 foot rollers? Its one thing to choose to do that for yourself, its another to put others' lives on the line like that.....just plain stupid IMHO and I say shame on you. 4 to 5 footers??? Are you kidding me or what?
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 10:41:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Hey guys,

I own a 16 foot boat and have no problems going out and fishing on rough days where the waves are 4 to 5 foot rollers. You just have to be smart enough to know to not go out in huge white caps and other conditions. You also need to know how to handle your boat, if you do not know how to do that you could be in any size boat and have problems. So ShutUpnNfish a 14-16 foot boat is perfectly fine to fish with as long as the person knows what they are doing.

Best of luck to you then my friend....Do you take your children, family and friends out in your 16 footer too in 4 to 5 foot rollers? Its one thing to choose to do that for yourself, its another to put others' lives on the line like that.....just plain stupid IMHO and I say shame on you. 4 to 5 footers??? Are you kidding me or what?

I would like to see his interpretation of 4 and 5 footers...Probably more like 2 and 3 footers honestly...I think he would know if he was in 4 and 5 footers..He would have soggy pants....I hear it on the radio all the time people saying there is 5 footers....When honestly they are 3's at best...

Ya not a good Idea to purposely fish rough water in a 14-16ft boat IMO...No sense on trying to be a tough guy, that's just plain stupid.....

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 11:16:46 (permalink)
I bought my 24' because I wanted the security of being able to take my family out. After needing 1 eye for a limit in the trench and having to strap myself in to my 16', I knew that I could continue to catch eyes, but that I would not be able to take anyone other than experienced adults with me.

Smaller boats can survive, I did it for years, but we aren't there to survive we are there to enjoy catching fish.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 11:40:23 (permalink)
Holy Crap! 4-5 footers in a 14-16 ft boat? No way...BloodyHand has a 20ft HEAVY fiberglass boat....and we quit in 3 footers. I have a 16ft aluminum....unless it's 2ft or less...for DAYS...it stays in the bay.

My boat would probably take more...I'm smart enuff not to find out what it WONT take.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 12:32:55 (permalink)
post edited by **commander** - 2010/06/28 12:33:59

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
**commander**
Pro Angler
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 12:35:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Hey guys,

I would like to see his interpretation of 4 and 5 footers...Probably more like 2 and 3 footers honestly...I think he would know if he was in 4 and 5 footers..He would have soggy pants....I hear it on the radio all the time people saying there is 5 footers....When honestly they are 3's at best...

Ya not a good Idea to purposely fish rough water in a 14-16ft boat IMO...No sense on trying to be a tough guy, that's just plain stupid.....

true all dat!!!

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 12:40:59 (permalink)
All it takes is one wave and then we're havin' a different conversation.

I won't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do but use common sense. Most of the guys that take the smaller boats out have said that they don't go in bad conditions and alot of them are natives that have been fishin' the lake for years and know when to get off. If you're sayin' you'd leave the launch in 5 footers then your just nutz. Even if you're alone you're risking more than yourself, other boaters that may have to help you are also being put in danger by your actions. To each his own, just be safe...
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 12:45:48 (permalink)
" Its one thing to choose to do that for yourself, its another to put others' lives on the line like that.....just plain stupid IMHO and I say shame on you."

Un-fortunately, it's never just yourself. Folks doing stupid shiite, put the lives of rescuers, or would be rescuers on the line as well. And if you have family ( wife & kids ), your choice, can have a huge impact on their lives.

No man is an island.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 13:08:39 (permalink)
I'm not sure how we got here from there...
the boat that sunk was 26'...

Sure everyone should use caution..
But as the gentleman that lost the boat in question found out....
**it happens.

Be safe out there.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 13:26:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Pork

I'm not sure how we got here from there...
the boat that sunk was 26'...

Sure everyone should use caution..
But as the gentleman that lost the boat in question found out....
**it happens.

Be safe out there.

Regardless of the size, sounds like he had some structural work done on transom/hull and it didn't work out so well. Don't matter what size boat you are in, if it structurally fails, it's gonna be a bad day for all involved. Just glad these guys are safe.

I just wonder if they checked the work done by the shop before he motor'd out 6 miles...I would do a pretty intensive check to make sure it was safe..Maybe a shakedown not far from launch..Can't say for sure that he didn't do that, but lets hope he didn't go from shop to dock (After having that sort of work done)and motor 6 miles...Never know though...

**commander**
Pro Angler
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 14:17:01 (permalink)
unfortunately its not the 1st time and wont be the last time a boat goes down.

is the boat/does the boat have to be removed from the lake? just askin'

jimmythejuicer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 14:20:03 (permalink)
I have a 16' square back canoe from****s but I will not take it out in the Lake.
CRANKMASTER
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 15:09:12 (permalink)
Sucks to hear of any vessel going down no matter what size or for any reason. It's fortunate that help was in the immediate area. The one key thing when venturing out into the deep is to "BE PREPAIRED" for such emergencies. Hopefully they never happen but if you find yourself in a situation then your chances of quicker rescue and survival are greater. Commercial Type 1 life jackets with 22 lbs. of boyancy for starters. They are specifically designed for offshore use when rescue can take a long time in arriving. Have a Floating Abandoned ship gear bag with flares, flashlight, waterproof hand held VHF radio and what ever else you need to put in it. If you want to spend the money and monthly fee there are devices available that can alert the proper authorities with your GPS location. Hopefully you never have to use any of it but, What If ??? And remember to always try to leave a float plan with someone. It's sad to hear of these unfornuate circumstances especially if there are fatalities. Let's not become complacent, it can happen to anyone at any time. Good Feesh'in to all and BE SAFE !!!
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 15:29:55 (permalink)
I'm not sure on whether the boat has to be salvaged or not. I would assume that a 26' boat would have at least a 100 gallon fuel tank, not to mention the oil in the crank case. I would think that they'd want it out of there. Anybody know for sure? Another reason to have good liability insurance on your ride.

I have to assume in this case that a bellows was improperly reinstalled following transom rebuild, hard to believe that the glass came apart without hitting anything. A 4" hole in the back of your boat would allow an unbelievable amount of water in quickly.

I talked with "Chubby" at the launch on Saturday, he said he was first on scene and said the guys had no idea what happened, they hadn't hit anything that they knew of. They motored out, dropped anchor and things went south from there. Boat went down fast. Just glad that there were guys close enough to help and that nobody was seriously hurt.
aceboogie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 19:37:34 (permalink)
hey paul it didnt help either that when he first called for help he stated that he was out in front of elk. thankfully all that was lost was a boat.

"say when..."
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 20:18:49 (permalink)
I fished Erie from 1979-1992 three days a week,had a 16 foot Starcraft with a 9.9 and a 70 on it and a 19 foot bluefin,never had any trouble but I'm not stupid,I've been in some big waves,worst where 6 footers out in the first trench,stiff north wind came up and it was to late to run,maybe the toughest 7 miles,big roller braking all the way in,right behind the boat,very long slow ride in,but the worst part was coming into the nut,caught a huge wave and gunned her in tight to the wall,even had a crowd watching us come in,we where the last boat out there,I didn't have a weather radio,but the next day I did,I saw a 26 foot glass boat go down in seconds a Olcott,some of the big non fishing type boats have no floatation in them,there bilage pump went out and that big boat went down.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 21:17:28 (permalink)
From what I understand, my neighbor at camp and a former member of this board, Walcat, each rescued the guys and they were showing signs of hypothermia.  They had slurred speech, couldn't stand and were very blue in color.
About a mile or two before arriving back to port, the CG commanded that they transferred to their pilot vessel in the bumpy water.<scratching head>
The boat went down in less than 15 minutes.
Thank god for good samaritans.

Ironhed
gizmos
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1190
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 23:36:24 (permalink)
Eye opener for sure. Thank God all are safe. Good job to those involved.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 00:44:53 (permalink)
Ironhead, Kudos to your neighbor and Walcat! Glad to hear they all are safe and alive.

Would be nice to hear from the survivers first hand as to what they experienced and what they tried to do to save themselves before being overwhelmed. Rescuers also as to what they did to help.

With any tragedy, maybe some good will come out of it. Seems like it with some of the posts on here. There's a good amount of solid advice in these posts about safety and prevention. That's what makes these forums great.

IE: Cheap fittings getting replaced, life jackets, elevated batteries, multiple radios, wedges, shakedown cruise, distress signaling devices, high gph bilages (multiple)...Etc.... Too many to list.

Add another 2 to the list---I used to carry gas tank dope and a similar compound we call monkey sheet. Both would stick to wet fiberglass and just about anything. Fire extinguishers also. ABC, Halon.

Maybe the lurkers, newbies and experienced (myself included) will gain some knowledge or reminders from these tips and prevent another tragedy.

Most of all, use that thing god gave you between your ears. Stupidity puts many peoples lives at risk. When you lay down in bed tonight to fall asleep, think about this. How would you feel if someone perishes trying to save you  in distress because of your lack of planning, neglect, arrogence or plain stupidity. Could you attend the person's funeral and look into the eyes of their children? THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should be a waiver that the idiot boaters sign at the launches:

I have such and such ft long boat and going out in so many ft waves with XX knot winds. I am an idiot. No need to put any first responders at risk saving my butt if something happens because I've done this all before....

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 07:53:05 (permalink)
Good advice OTH - Also speed kills especially with the obstacles I saw floating yesterday . A couple of huge stumps , a telephone pole , and logs scattered everywhere out there in front of the nut all the way out to the trench .

Use caution lots of floaters and that lake is still blowin'

rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 07:57:11 (permalink)
walcat has always been a class act.  glad he was in the area. 

hossmagnet
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 12:24:24 (permalink)
I know the guy that sank the boat...He has been walleye fishing for many years. Last year he wrecked his pickup and the boat came off the trailor and skidded down the road on I90. He had it repaired but that may have been the cause of why it sank. Sorry to hear.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 13:33:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aceboogie

hey paul it didnt help either that when he first called for help he stated that he was out in front of elk. thankfully all that was lost was a boat.

Yeah, the Coast Guard could not hear, what I believe to be Walcat, on the radio with the coordinates so I relayed the coordinates to them loud and clear. It was just too short of time for the authorities to do the rescue and you are correct Ironhead, thank goodness for the good samaritans. It was scary to listen to out there and I did what I could without getting in the way of the two other boats that were there. I even helped the guy out in the smaller boat helping since his motor would not start after the incident....turned out his fuel line disconnected from his motor when trying to get one of the passengers onboard his vessel.

Hypothermia was a thought, but I just think the guys were in shock and frightened more than anything....the surface temp was near mid 70s...I don't think you could possibly get hypothermia in those temps, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless - as long as everyone made it to shore safe....thats the KEY.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 14:10:46 (permalink)
 Hypothermia can affect different people at different speeds. Yes, a person can become hypothermic in water that is mid 70s, for most people it would take some time for that to happen. But hypothermia can set in quickly if victim is very young, elderly, in poor health or very skinny.... and those men were no doubt also in psychological shock from the event itself. I doubt the air temps were very warm that morning either, so they may have been rather 'chilled' from the ride out before the accident even happened. I would go with a combination of events caused the problem,  not any one factor.
 I have treated folks in their own home with hypothermia, an unfortunate side effect of the skyrocketing cost of heating oil....
 Hats off to the rescue boats who were on scene and no doubt whose swift actions saved the lives of those involved.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/29 15:50:46 (permalink)
Hypothermia begins instantly in any water cooler than body temperature. The rate is simply accelerated in colder temps. The body looses heat to water 25% faster than it does to air of the same temp. Thanks to the rescuers.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/30 09:05:02 (permalink)

Don't know if this chart will post correctly.

Hypothermia Chart

If the Water
Temp. (F) is:

Exhaustion or
Unconsciousness

Expected Time
of Survival is:

Under 15 min.

Under 15 - 45 min.

32.5 - 40

15 - 30 min.

30 - 90 min

40 - 50

30 - 60 min.

1 - 3 hours

50 - 60

1 - 2 hours

1 - 6 hours

60 - 70

2 - 7 hours

2 - 40 hours

70 - 80

3 - 12 hours

3 - Indefinite

Over 80

Indefinite

Indefinite

Darn, didn't post correctly but I think you can get the idea of the ranges for unconcsiousness and death.
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2010/06/30 09:07:07
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/30 10:19:39 (permalink)
Wow, never realized that....interesting stuff to know...thanks.
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/30 15:54:47 (permalink)
As I passed the launch at Presque Isle marina the Coast Guard was checking a boat. By the time I got to the Channel to go out into the Lake, I heard the boat (siren) and seen them flying accross the bay out into the Lake. 2 minutes later Lakeshore towing flew by. 3 minutes after that the D.E.P boat went out. Later that day on the ERIE news I saw what that was all about.(the sinking) Also the story about the guy slicing the throat of the clerk at B.A.C. bait shop. A guy about 64 yrs. old brought some stuff to the counter including the knife and reached up and slit the guy's throat. Another clerk slapped it out of his hand, guy took off and cops got him short time later. They operated on the guy, I hope he is doing OK! (NUT JOB) I just read cbeagler's thread about the B.A.C. sorry for the repeat.
post edited by Split Shot - 2010/06/30 16:22:58

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/07/20 00:51:24 (permalink)
Did they find out why the boat sank?

Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/07/20 02:01:31 (permalink)
Yep...they forgot to put the plug in.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: