Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/27 10:29:43 (permalink)

Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek

Friday out of Walnut and which was near the first trench in about 70 FOW a 26' vessel sunk. It was a scary thing to listen to on the radio and witness. Thankfully the 4 men aboard were OK. I know two of the men were older and rushed in by some nearby fishermen complaining of chest pains. If the guy this happened to reads this...I'm sorry for your loss and hope you had good coverage on the boat.

It seemed from the time he called on the radio with the MAY-DAY distress call from the time the boat completely sunk was a mere half an hour or slightly more! I only wonder what could have happened that the boat took on that much water in so little time...he said on the radio that he didn't hit anything and everything seemed fine when they went out. I went over to assist but there were already a couple of other boats around. I saw the bow of the boat sticking straight up out of the water and only about 3 feet of it! I clearly gave the Coast Guard their GPS coordinates and they could not arrive in time. Niether did the Rescue vessel out of Walnut. I wonder why there cannot be some type pf more immediate response. It was probably not for about an hour that any teams showed up to the scene, the men already been rescued (by nearby fishermen) and brought to shore and boat no longer to be seen. But rather debris and gear floating all over the area. SCARY!

This is a true testiment to be sure your vessel is completely safe. I realize that we cannot always detect every little thing, however, it is good to be "ANAL" about everything safety when it comes to venturing out on to big waters like the Great Lakes! This should be lesson to all who do it....And to think there are folks coming on to these forums asking if it is safe to be going out there in 14 - 16' boats.....Heres your answer............NO

Oh yeah....the walleye fishing was good too
This is my uncle (mom's brother from Europe - first time in the states) and my son holding a 30 incher....we caught some hogs.

Stay safe out there guys.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/06/27 10:52:54

74 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8510
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 11:41:53 (permalink)
    His boot more than likely split. Seen that a few years back. That guy made it back but was bailing buckets out while running and they had a trailer in the water waiting for him.

WaxWorm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 12:05:05 (permalink)
    I agree with you on the 14-16 foot boats..IMO you are playing russain roulette 
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1257
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 12:25:38 (permalink)
    I somewhat agree with you about the 14 to 16 foot boats but it didnt seem to matter to a 26 footer!!! There are just some things in life that have an inherent danger in them.My drive up to erie scares the hech any more than my fishing in erie in my 17 footer.In spite of comon sense and all the precautions in the world accident and bad things do happen.I do hope everyone is ok!!!

icenut(Bill)
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 12:56:50 (permalink)
    A 16 foot boat with a deep V is not that unstable.

How much flotation does it take to stay above water?

I think smaller boats are required to have built in flotation and be unsinkable.
    If not a requirement I think it is a voluntary standard that manufactures conform to.
    In the mid 80's I had to tow my bosses 21' AMF Cuddy in from the dock at Wolf Run Marina
    The plug was missing(probably removed by someone he sold a car to) and water was up to 6" below the gunnel but it was still afloat.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 13:28:37 (permalink)
    This also reminds  me that I bought a 900 GPH pump for my boat last year but never installed it.
    I need a large through the hull fitting and hose.
    My 600 GPH pump works fine but I found a deal on the larger one and want to add it as a second pump.

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 13:33:42 (permalink)
    12+ years in my 16' pimp daddy caddy . Im still hear and fishing.

Dont let anyone tell you a 16' boat aint big enough for Lake Erie.  Its all in how you make it.

You learn how far out you can go and how much you can take and do before its not safe anymore.

Boat smart. Thats all you have to do. That way you will be able to go out again another day. just sayin'

The Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 15:19:28 (permalink)
    Bravo Zulu to all who took part in the rescue. Clear information is the most important part. As for why the boat went down, the news article said that he had fiberglass repair done on the boat and the repair failed--badly. It seems that any boat of any size needs a way of keeping the water on the outside.

I believe you on the hour to respond. The news said that the Coast Guard and Lake Shore VFD arrived within ten minutes. Good job, but I don't think that is possible to cover six miles of water in 10 minutes. It's a big lake and anyone who goes out should figure on the possibility of fending for himself for a while.

http://www.wicu12.com/news/index.vnss?newsid=9863&type=News
    marliezx7
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 15:32:19 (permalink)
    What time did this take place??? I was in that area most the day(55-68 ftw off Wlanut) til about 7pm when I got out. It started to get a little choppy for my 16', so I played it safe....and I was only a few fish from limit anyway :)
    nwpaconcours
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 16:34:27 (permalink)
    Apparently its not safe for 26' boats either....
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 17:17:48 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with 14-16' boats goin out on the lake.... pay attention to the weather,wind, and extended forecast for the day and know when to leave before you need to leave and dont go out farther than you should be.. Sh_t happens i get that but for the most part the people that get in trouble push the limit.dont check over things, dont know when to leave,dont know what their doing, dont pay attention to the waves, wind, etc and just have no respect for what that lake can do.... what else would you call it?
    I might have a messed up way lookn at things but i just dont feel sorry for people who get in trouble do to no respect or just plain ignornace..
    post edited by 16506fish - 2010/06/27 17:21:21
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8510
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 17:30:17 (permalink)
    100,000$ boat, fiberglass repair, ...something wrong here.
    When your boot goes , its an onwash of water.
    He must of had a heck of a hole to sink that fast.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 18:14:06 (permalink)
    Obviously some of you DON'T have much time on the Great Lakes. First...MOST of us know how the "weatherman" can often be wrong and you cant just rely on a forecast....Second, I've seen that lake go from dead calm to 6 footers in a matter of minutes......Good Luck 10 miles out there and in a 16 foot aluminum deep whatever when that SH#@t kicks up! And Finally, it is a matter of judgment, yes, some live on the edge a little more than others I guess. IMHO anywhere further than 5 miles off shore in big water is no place for a little boat and perfectly legal, but then again, so is driving a motorcycle without a helmut....Its the plain 'ol difference between being smart and stupid. Nuff said.....whatever you go out there in, just be safe! Take every precaution that whatever you go out in, that its safe for you and your passengers. Educate yourself on how you vessel works and what it takes for it to be good for the waters....I know I need to after the spring I have had, thats for sure!

Also...this story has nothing to do with whether it was a big fiberglass or little aluminum and which is safer, better, faster or stronger. It is clearly obvious that, OVERALL, a large more stable boat is safer on big water like this anyway. And yes it is obvious that this can happen to ANY boat, even a 26 footer. Bottom line is....don't let ignorance get in the way of overall safety or let it be an excuse for not being on the safe side when venturing on Erie. We make our own choices....Good Luck with yours.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/06/27 18:31:22
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 18:42:49 (permalink)
    It is clearly obvious that, OVERALL, a large more stable boat is safer on big water like this anyway

Yep
    Probably leaves more debris in the water to cling on to

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 19:00:36 (permalink)
    "think smaller boats are required to have built in flotation and be unsinkable."

Ain't no such thing, and there's plenty of drowned souls that could attest to that.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 19:53:33 (permalink)
    true dat. back in the day there was a boat company(ranger maybe) that cut a boat in half and it was still floating, for as long as the commercial anyway on dead calm water if i remember right. if there was an unsinkable boat, it would be a magical boat and the company would spend a whole lot of advertising $$$ marketing it. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    nwpaconcours
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:15:55 (permalink)
    if there was an unsinkable boat, it would be a magical boat and the company would spend a whole lot of advertising $$$ marketing it. just sayin'

Boston Whaler boats are unsinkable! For over 50 years, our patented Unibond® construction has built a loyal following of boaters. Whether its fishing, cruising, watersports or just enjoying time with friends, Boston Whaler has a runabout, tender, center console, cuddy cabin or walkaround to fit your boating style. It's the reason we're known as The Unsinkable Legend™.

http://www.whaler.com/
    post edited by nwpaconcours - 2010/06/27 20:16:27
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:22:00 (permalink)
    FLOTATION
    BASIC FLOTATION. Builders of inboards and inboard-outdrives are required to
    comply with the Basic Flotation portion of the Coast Guard Flotation Standard. Basic
    Flotation requires a fully loaded boat to float with some portion of the boat above the
    surface of the water when it is swamped. This means that the boat must contain
    sufficient flotation to support two-fifteenths (2/15) of the persons capacity and 25
    percent of the dead weight. Basic Flotation is designed to give the survivors of a
    boating accident in which the boat has swamped something on the hull to hang onto.
    The advantages of Level Flotation versus Basic Flotation are obvious (see introductory
    paragraphs to Level Flotation section).
    Builders of boats that are subject to the Basic Flotation requirements should perform
    Steps I and II in the “Calculations section on the following pages and substitute 25
    percent of their boats’ rated maximum weight capacity for Step III in the appropriate
    example. Also, since Basic Flotation requires only that some portion of the boat
    remain above the surface of the water, the location for the required amount of flotation
    material is unimportant.
    NOTE:
    BECAUSE OF THE INHERENT ADVANTAGES OFLEVEL FLOTATION, ALL
    BULDERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BUILD THEIR BOATS IN COMPLIANCE
    WITH THE LEVEL FLOTATION STANDARD DESCRIBED ON THE
    FOLLOWING PAGES. BUILDERS WHO CHOOSE BASIC FLOTATION IN
    LIEU OF THE ADDED SAFETY FEATURE PROVIDED BY LEVEL
    FLOTATION ARE URGED TO CONSIDER INSTALLING THE SURVIVAL
    HANDLES DESCRIBED IN APPENDIX D.
    LEVEL FLOTATION. Level Flotation will increase both your ability to survive and the
    ability of rescue groups to locate you after and accident has occurred. Level Flotation
    does just what its name sounds like. If a boat fills with water, Level Flotation will make
    the boat float level. You and your passengers will actually be able to remain inside theboat even though it is full of water. There you will be warmer, feel safer, be less in
    danger of drowning and will provide a larger target for rescue groups to locate. If the
    seas are calm, you might be able to bail the water out of your boat and if the
    powerhead of your motor wasn’t damaged by immersion in the water, you might be
    able to return to shore under your own power.
    The Level Flotation Standard applies to monohull outboard powered boats less than
    20 feet in length except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatables, submersibles, race
    boats, surface effect vessels and amphibious vehicles. The principles of Level
    Flotation, however, may be applied to many of these excepted boats at your option.
    Level Flotation will not make your boat right itself if it overturns, but it reduces the
    probability that your boat will capsize. If it does capsize, one or two people should be
    able to right it. If you are unable to right the boat, you and your passengers can still
    get out of the water and sit on the bottom of the overturned boat.
    In order to make your boat float level when full of water, enough flotation material must
    be installed in specific areas to:
    1. Support the weight of your boat;
    2. Support your weight and the weight of your passengers (your boat’s maximum
    persons capacity); and
    3. Support the weight of the motor and related equipment (if your boat is powered).
    Each of these three quantities of flotation must be installed “symmetrically” and as
    close to the gunwales as possible. We’ll tell you more about what we mean about
    symmetrically later, but first let’s figure out how much flotation you’ll need, then we’ll
    show you how and where to install it.
    CALCULATIONS
    On the following pages are four examples of how to calculate how much flotation
    material is required in four different boats. Choose the example which most closely
    resembles your boat and substitute your own figures for boat weight, deck weight,
    maximum persons capacity, maximum weight capacity and maximum horsepower.

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:26:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nwpaconcours

if there was an unsinkable boat, it would be a magical boat and the company would spend a whole lot of advertising $$$ marketing it. just sayin'

Boston Whaler boats are unsinkable! For over 50 years, our patented Unibond® construction has built a loyal following of boaters. Whether its fishing, cruising, watersports or just enjoying time with friends, Boston Whaler has a runabout, tender, center console, cuddy cabin or walkaround to fit your boating style. It's the reason we're known as The Unsinkable Legend™.

http://www.whaler.com/

ive heard that and could be wrong but i just dont believe it on the ocean or the great lakes. just sayin'
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/06/28 00:19:59

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:35:26 (permalink)
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zD5wWMvwDAgJ:newboatbuilders.com/docs/flotation_2.ppt+USCG+required+flotation+boat+building&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Flotation Requirements for Recreational Boats

FLOTATION 
    Flotation requirements can be found in 
    TITLE 33 CFR SUBPART F, G, H 
    Beginning with 33 CFR 183.101 
    ABYC H-8 BUOYANCY IN THE EVENT  
    OF SWAMPING

FLOTATION 
    Applies To: MONOHULL RECREATIONAL BOATS UNDER 20 FEET DOES NOT INCLUDE 
     CANOES   KAYAKS 
     INFLATABLES  MULTIHULLS 
     SUBMERSIBLES RACEBOATS 
     SURFACE EFFECT AMPHIBIOUS            VEHICLES VEHICLES 
     SAILBOATS

post edited by pghmarty - 2010/06/27 20:39:43

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:37:06 (permalink)
    Some scary stuff right there, as I know the owner of the boat, I wouldnt wish that on anybody
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 20:40:38 (permalink)
    would be absolutely horrible. hopefully he had insurance and can replace what can be replaced.

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 23:04:11 (permalink)
    Whatever the case, it was a catastrophic hull failure. Even if the boat is sink proof, I am not.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 23:42:57 (permalink)
    hopefully he had insurance and can replace what can be replaced.

Hopefully the guy that fixed the fiberglass has insurance

heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/27 23:57:44 (permalink)
    all that artificial reef talk over a week ago, now a boat sinks almost where people wanted the reef...coincidence?
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 06:46:59 (permalink)
    So everybody knows....We saw same GIANT logs floatin around in 60 fow around walnut yeasterday. Easily big enuff to poke a hole in the biggest of boats.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    andyd8403
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 08:14:31 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

I own a 16 foot boat and have no problems going out and fishing on rough days where the waves are 4 to 5 foot rollers. You just have to be smart enough to know to not go out in huge white caps and other conditions. You also need to know how to handle your boat, if you do not know how to do that you could be in any size boat and have problems. So ShutUpnNfish a 14-16 foot boat is perfectly fine to fish with as long as the person knows what they are doing.

The worst day fishing is better than any day of work
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 08:21:41 (permalink)
    ya gota be careful on how you post things around here- cause with a comment like that your bound to put someones panties in bunch....
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 08:52:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

So everybody knows....We saw same GIANT logs floatin around in 60 fow around walnut yeasterday. Easily big enuff to poke a hole in the biggest of boats.

You didn't see your blade bait stuck in one of em ??

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Boat Sinks out of Walnut Creek 2010/06/28 08:56:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 16506fish

ya gota be careful on how you post things around here- cause with a comment like that your bound to put someones panties in bunch....

Only way my panties would be in a bunch would be if I were on that 14'-16' boat in 4 to 5 foot rollers.  Yeah, it would be fine as long as they stayed rollers but if the wind picked up to anything over 15 or 20 mph or so, those rollers would turn to white caps and you would be in for one white knuckled ride. 

Nearshore within a mile or two (not much different than being on Pymy), I would have no problem being out on Erie in a 14-16' deep V.

Even if it wasn't a hull failure that brought down that boat, something as simple as a thru hull fitting failing could let an on rush of water in and if you can't get to the hole due to access issues, you are going down if you are far enough out in the lake.  Look at your boats and most of the thru hulls on mid to lower grade boats are plastic and not brass.  Especially in an older boat, UV deterioates them and they get brittle.  Some guys go around during spring tune ups of their boats and tighten everything down.  All it takes is a little over tightening on one of those brittle thru hulls to start a small crack that could lead to failure.  Lots of guys in the salt water replace factory plastic thru hulls with solid brass ones to take this out of the equation. 

Good idea to have a wooden peg set with you to temporarily fix a small to med. hole in the hull in case it ever happens or if you hit something.

Also, redundant 2000 gph bilge pumps with float switches and manual override switches, one in the bow and one in the stern, should be in your boat with a high water alarm with light and buzzer wired to your dash.  It may not save the boat if things get really bad but it may just give you enough time to make the may day call, give your position and possibly have another vessel get to you in time to get off the sinking vessel. 

Another good thing is to get your batteries as high as possible in your boat without being too much in the way.  Doesn't take too much water to short them out if they are laying in the bilge and then you are truly dead in the water. 

Glad to hear everyone got out of this one ok and doesn't sound like it is weather related.  Wouldn't want to be that fiberglass repair shop right now if that is truly what happened.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: