Stranded Smolts

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:21:56 (permalink)
If I may... she's hot for tuna.  No, that doesn't work.   She'll bang for brookie.  No, that's no good either.  She'll jump you for Asian carp.  That's it.  Let's go with that one.
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:23:04 (permalink)
Oh, wait.  I got another one.  She'll bl*w for burbot.
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:25:11 (permalink)
I believe that 1,500 smolt are ear marked for clueless anglers, 3,500 for mergansers 15,000 for walleye and 150 for stranded smolt that TB wouldn't save...... I guess that leaves us a few.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:28:03 (permalink)
That's only 29% of 30% of 6% of the 2% that were stocked.  Drop in the bucket.
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:28:10 (permalink)
sabreena sed shee wood giv mE rode hed four sum samen

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:30:11 (permalink)
BettR then hir gifing yue samen.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:58:42 (permalink)
LOL!!!!!  Now why can't every thread end like this?

You forgot...Sometimes she does it for the Halibut!

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 22:26:47 (permalink)
She flounder snapper.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 22:28:35 (permalink)
Serious question about the smolt stocking.....

If the threat of anglers hurting the smolts is an issue, why couldn't the PAFBC just wait to stock the smolts soon after the first day of trout season, when most of the "clueless" will be long gone?  Is it possibly because the smolt need to adapt to the stream and mature steelhead before heading out into the lake?  Could this be a viable solution to the angler threat on smolts in the streams?  Just curious.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 23:22:04 (permalink)
Shutup ..

I believe the process of smoltification is not entirely understood but timing is critical.  Whether that has to do with length of daylight, water temp, flows, moon phase, etc ... I don't know.   Perhaps all the above??

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/06 01:25:04 (permalink)
Silver,

You are basically right. When it's time for them to go, it's time. According to the hatchery folks, THEY pretty much tell THEM when it's time by their behavior in the raceways.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/06 06:24:34 (permalink)
How long do the smolts stay in the tribs before entering the lake?

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/06 10:30:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Spoon, I don't know what the #'s of smolt kept, injured or killed by accident is. I'm sure more get it from heron, walleye etc., but I would think it would help if humans were not a factor.

If humans weren't a factor, there wouldn't be a steelhead fishery to begin with.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/06 22:28:22 (permalink)
What I meant was humans being a factor in injuring or killing smolt...

I KNOW WE STOCK THEM!!!!

Put and take....BLA  BLA   BLA

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/06 22:29:52 (permalink)
BTW....  w_w, cool loking brookie!!!

indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 12:23:42 (permalink)
Gentlemen,
     If I may, I'd like to interject my two cents here.  Although I only manage to come up a couple of times per year.  When I do come up I am on the streams 10-12 hours a day for a week.  While I do agree with spoon and very much respect his opinions I have observed some real cases of wrong behavior leading up to and after the 1st day of trout season.  Especially after.   One year I spent the first Sunday on Elk and I observed at least 4 parents with kids in tow, and each kid had some smolt on a stringer or in a plastic bag.  When I told one of the dads that the little rainbows he had were smolt he: got very mad, defended his actions since his kids were having fun, and told me what I could do with my information.
     Now I'm just a "tourist" but SOME of the ideas put forth here aren't too far fetched.  How about these suggestions:  After 1 March till May 15 the tribs go to artificals only.  No bait (which is swallowed more easily).  Minimum 15" size, limit one fish per day.  This isn't going to really hurt too many people.  Plus it will help prevent the unknowing/uncaring from impacting the fishery.  I like the idea of allowing small browns but... The uncaring usually don't know what type of fish they are catching.  They are lucky if they can identify a trout from a sucker in some cases (seen it).  They buy a license and just fish.  As an example I was on the Penn State water at Spruce Creek two years ago and I met two guys, fishing with worms, who each had three fish.  1.  They claimed they didn't know.  2. There were lots of fish and they were hitting worms (imagine that) 3.  They didn't see any wardens.  4 Why should I care it was public water, I didn't own it.
       At any rate, Spoon, Shut Up, you have good ideas and valuable opinions, just in this case I disgaree.  If I, a person who only gets to fish PA twice per year, can live with the restrictions why can't anybody else who can fish anytime they want (within reason).  These people who can't live with restrictions should probably never fish Yellowstone, most of Montana, Wyoming, or most of our National Parks.  On some of the National Parks you have to know where you are on the creek because the rules change depending on where you are on the streams.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 12:32:04 (permalink)
indsguiz

Keep in mind the dates you mentioned.................   Steelies are not the only fish targeted at that time

Smallies
Suckers
Cats    

The size limit I agree 100%

As far as creel limits I don't keep any steelies so that wouldn't affect me

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 12:52:29 (permalink)
I'm not sure the "fisherman" in question (ones that keep smolt) would be affected by the size limit. It's 7" for trout...aren't the smolt smaller than that anyway?

At any rate it's tough to change the habits of slobs (not that anyone here is that type) you just have to try and shame them if you see stupid and illegal behavior.

This type of discussion is good though, I wish the PFBC would read and post on this site there have been many good thoughts and suggestions put forth on here.

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 16:26:43 (permalink)
  "One year I spent the first Sunday on Elk and I observed at least 4 parents with kids in tow, and each kid had some smolt on a stringer or in a plastic bag.  When I told one of the dads that the little rainbows he had were smolt he: got very mad, defended his actions since his kids were having fun, and told me what I could do with my information."

So what you are suggesting is that we deny others an oppotunity to fish, over the actions of a HANDFULL of slobs. Isn't that exactly what folks who post their property do? If fishing activity at this time of year were causing harm to the fishery, I'd be right behind you looking for a solution. But the fact remains that it hasn't. The Steelhead fishery is extremely important to the PF&BC. If spring angling presented any threat to it, trust me they would take some action.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 16:31:30 (permalink)
Tippy,

Many of the smolt, at least by the time pellethead season starts, are indeed of "legal" size. I would not be opposed to an inrease in the size limit to 9 in. which is supposed to be the average for stockies now. I don't believe there are so many smolts being harvested that it would have any impact, but I wouldn't oppose it.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 17:13:25 (permalink)
Spoon,
     My point in my post was this:  If I, an infrequent angler to the tribs, can see such behavior, and it is prevelant enough to make me take notice.  Then the problem MAY be much deeper than thought.  I would never deny anybody the priveledge of fishing; but are we talking fishing or catching here.  I can fish all day and not keep anything.  I applaud the men for taking their kids out to fish.  But doesn't a degree of parental responsibility go hand in hand with it.  I was taught to fish by my grandmother and if she ever caught me doing something illegal I would have been wacked with the nearest branch she could pick up.  She would never have defended incorrect actions and she lived through the depression when a days catch of fish might just mean supper or not.  Like I said we differ in out opinions.  IF I could have my preferences I would like to see certain stretches of the tribs, and certain streams made Artifical Lures Only to help prevent fish mortality.  But I don't rule the streams.  I simply enjoy them.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 17:22:02 (permalink)
 "But doesn't a degree of parental responsibility go hand in hand with it."

Yes, but the reality is that you cannot regulate, or legislate parental responsibilty. The spring fishery has existed for years, and yet the Steelhead fishery is STILL going strong. I guess I just can't understand folks desire, or need to find a solution to a problem that does not exist. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 17:33:58 (permalink)
I would bet, that there is a much higher mortality rate due to folks over playing fish in September. Than there is from deep hooked fish.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 17:54:24 (permalink)
"IF I could have my preferences I would like to see certain stretches of the tribs, and certain streams made Artifical Lures Only to help prevent fish mortality."

I would buy that arguement if it was documented that such fishing techniques actually contributed to a lower mortality rate.  I have seen, and caught, several fish that have inhaled flies as well as "natural" baits.  Similarly, fish mortality is not just a matter of how a fish is caught, but also, how the fish is handled after the fish has been hooked.  Protecting the "slime" coating is of importance.  Allowing fish to flop around on rocks, sand, and waiting several minutes to take the pic of a lifetime while being held with dry hands also contributes to the cause.

This is all, of course, pre-supposing that Steelhead mortality is a huge concern or issue regarding the future of the fishery.  To this point, no one has given any scientific evidence to support this belief.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 17:54:50 (permalink)
Spoon, I'm not sure what you mean by "problem" but I'd call fishing outside of the regulations a problem (whether condoned by a parent or not), agreed it is not an epidemic on the tribs, but it is a problem everywhere.

If it weren't for the fishing regs. put out by the PFBC PA's fisheries would be hurting.

As a side note...  the Regs. say

8 a.m. April 14 through Sept. 3
9 inches
5 (combined species), only two (2) of which may be lake trout the rest of the year is fifteen inches, so I guess once a smolt reaches 9" it's fair game for that time period..... that sucks.

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 18:01:39 (permalink)
"Spoon, I'm not sure what you mean by "problem" but I'd call fishing outside of the regulations a problem (whether condoned by a parent or not), agreed it is not an epidemic on the tribs, but it is a problem everywhere."

Tippy, I agree that such behavior is a problem. What I mean, is that it is not prevelant enough to be a threat to the fishery. Nor is it a reason to deny opportunity to ethical anglers. If they fish outside the current regulations, adding more won't stop them.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 18:03:57 (permalink)
I though it was 7 inches. A 9 inch smolt would be an exception.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 18:04:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I would bet, that there is a much higher mortality rate due to folks over playing fish in September. Than there is from deep hooked fish.

Spoon, we seem to be disagreeing allot lately

I disagree with that statement also, I would imagine that fewer fish die from overplaying in Sept. then do from abuse in their youth or getting the rope.

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 18:05:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I though it was 7 inches. A 9 inch smolt would be an exception.

Me too, but check it out.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/fishpub/summary/lakeerie.html

Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/07 18:26:16 (permalink)
How about the stoppage of stocking tributary streams with pelletheads?  Take those fish, and place them in areas that have received little, or no, stockings in the past?

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: