Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
eyeofhorus
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 189
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/03 08:08:09 (permalink)

Stranded Smolts

While fishing the PSA tourney this past saturday I found a pool cut off from main elk with about 100 to 200 smolts trapped in it south of Folley's. Even a good rain won't free these fish. I spoke with some commision people and they told me to help the fish back into the creek. It should only take a half hour or so to capture them. If anyone wants to help me I'll be at the soy bean field with the gate that has PSA signs across Rt.98 from Folley's around 6:30 tonight. Thanks, Jay

72 Replies Related Threads

SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/03 08:56:43 (permalink)
    Nice of those commission people to step up and lend a hand to the fish they helped stock.  Gotta love the "Well, you found them, you help them" attidue.
    eyeofhorus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/03 09:54:14 (permalink)
    Yeah I know, but I figure I do enough steelhead fishing and those fish take alot of time and money to raise, I'd rather save a future trophey than let them become heron food.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/03 10:17:19 (permalink)
    A couple of weeks ago, I was fishing the Sterratania area of Elk across from the dobermans on that wall.  It was after the creeks were real high and I noticed behind the wall was a pool of water which contained about 100 smolts.  I didn't have a net, so I just scooped as many as I could with my bare hands and threw them into the creek.  I managed to get most of the fish into the stream, but there were two or three that were too fast for me!  Hopefully, I'll be rewarded someday by one of those fish; when it is a record hog. 

trade winds
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/03 12:43:46 (permalink)
    compared to the 1000's that are hooked and killed by fisherman that continue to fish the tribs after they are stocked. 200 is nothing.
    but I applaude your efforts to save them. If I could, I would help you. I could help on friday if you don't get to it today.
    eyeofhorus
    Avid Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 08:16:34 (permalink)
    Update: I rescued about 75 to 100 smolts from the cut off hole tuesday night. My younger brother who hasn't fished in 15 years helped. Thank you wormwaster for use of the net!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 09:24:02 (permalink)
    Nice work !   I would have helped, but I'm 6 hours away.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 09:44:01 (permalink)
    I would just let them there - they will just die next Fall as 15" jacks on someone's stringer anyway...
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 09:54:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TB

I would just let them there - they will just die next Fall as 15" jacks on someone's stringer anyway...

But if you leave them, the Walleye will go hungry...  Think of the poor walleye children...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 10:00:48 (permalink)
    I saved one yesterday. It broke off and had 2 split shot tangled in some brush. Must have bin one tough guy. There were 40-50 dead ones laying on the stream bed. It seems bait fishers were being inhaled, killing them. I,m done for the year. Saw a white truck dumping fingerlings in at the launch at Elk. The smolt were gorging on them.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 11:55:12 (permalink)
    Mika,

The "fingerlings" were the smolt. Those 12-15 inchers, are jacks.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 16:29:51 (permalink)
    These were 1-2 inchs long  ,I seen too maney dead smolt to no what they were. Saw alot of jacks,(all on stringers). Saw one hen landed (also put on stringer), after the guy totally distroyed the hole I was fishing. I,m done till fall.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 17:46:54 (permalink)
    Just wait till the clueless start keeping smolt after opening day of trout season.  Seen several people in the past with stringers full of smolt.  I guess they had a problem telling how big the fish were as well as what species... 

pax vobiscum +
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 21:52:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Just wait till the clueless start keeping smolt after opening day of trout season.  Seen several people in the past with stringers full of smolt.  I guess they had a problem telling how big the fish were as well as what species... 

Only and best way to put a big halt to that is make the spring regs the same as the fall regs ..That being no trout under 15' except brown trout....

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 22:19:02 (permalink)
    That would help.  What if we had catch and release only after the smolt are put into the streams.

pax vobiscum +
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 22:22:18 (permalink)
    I doubt there are 150 smolt kept out of 1.5 MILLION. There really is NOT a problem.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 22:23:33 (permalink)
    Bug, did you just say catch and release...... OH MY GOD!!!! What are you thinking....

Here comes the beating.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/04 22:29:24 (permalink)
    Spoon, I don't know what the #'s of smolt kept, injured or killed by accident is. I'm sure more get it from heron, walleye etc., but I would think it would help if humans were not a factor.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 11:40:13 (permalink)
    Tippy,

I know understand what you are saying/thinking. It would help SOME, but not really. Let's say that 2500 smolt are killed accidently by anglers. That's probabley a high number, most are released unharmed. Let's go so far as to double it to 5000. That is still less than one HALF of ONE percent. Certainly not a threat to the fishery. Why deny others, other fishing opportunities over a percieved threat that doesn't exist? 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 13:05:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Bug, did you just say catch and release...... OH MY GOD!!!! What are you thinking....

Here comes the beating.

I know that catch and release is an anathema.  Of course once you have eaten  one of the old fish in the streams you will practice catch and release in the future...
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/04/05 13:42:13

pax vobiscum +
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 17:12:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Tippy,

I know understand what you are saying/thinking. It would help SOME, but not really. Let's say that 2500 smolt are killed accidently by anglers. That's probabley a high number, most are released unharmed. Let's go so far as to double it to 5000. That is still less than one HALF of ONE percent. Certainly not a threat to the fishery. Why deny others, other fishing opportunities over a percieved threat that doesn't exist? 

This post is just as bad as K16 spouting off about loaded stream sections.  Spoon, you should know better.  Now, there's a bunch of people out there reading your post (take into consideration that you really are one of the most looked-upto folks on here), and many of them have morals that are marginal, at best.  You really can now double those numbers. 

"Well, Spoonchucker says it don't do no harm."

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 17:36:02 (permalink)
    Wow dude, I didn't realize I was that powerful. Although Scottie DID used to call me God. My coronation notice must have gotten lost in the mail.

Do you really believe hoards of folks were waiting my approval to go out, and fish? It's the same with Kyler's reports. That huge parking lot, easy access, and prior experience is what attracts anglers there. Not reports from someone they don't know.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2007/04/05 17:39:17

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 18:30:20 (permalink)
    I would have to agree with Spoon on several points here.  So many smolts are stocked in the tibs to account for predation, nature, and the influx of humanity making "mistakes."

Each and every year, there are hundreds of thousands of these fish returning for angler pleasure.  Now I am only speaking for myself, but when you look at the pure numbers, 200,000 fish is quite huge!  Sort of makes the "fishing" part disappear when one says I am going to fish for Steelhead.  One could counter, big deal, there are so many of them, what is so special about that?  It is more akin to catching than fishing: IMHO.

I applaud the efforts to save the future resource; but really, the fisheries biologists have it all figured out, and there will be plenty of fish to boast about next year.  I can promise you that!

This particular post would be applicable to the "Closed Season" thread as well.  Let the experts in the field take care of it.  Just enjoy!

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2007/04/05 18:34:45

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 19:26:51 (permalink)
    I know, I know.  But, you are THE Spoonchucker. 

Hey, BTW, where was this "Certainly not a threat to the fishery" attitude earlier when we were discussing me roping one of YOUR fish?  Mmmm, that PR's smoked steel tastes good.  Good thing I made fresh applesauce yesterday.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 19:49:08 (permalink)
    Well that's different. That was MY fish.

Look, I think it is great that folks care about the fishery, and want to protect it. I like to think I have done my part. I just think some folks need to relax a little, and quit looking for a threat or crises, around every corner.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 20:21:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Well that's different. That was MY fish.

Look, I think it is great that folks care about the fishery, and want to protect it. I like to think I have done my part. I just think some folks need to relax a little, and quit looking for a threat or crises, around every corner.

Here Here!  You're right spoon.  If there were NO threat to the smolts, there would be less stocked. (oops wrong quote)

I keep hearing about guys having fish on stringers...the last time I checked, having fish on your stringer was NOT against the law.  Has anyone ever heard of Put-N-Take?  I caught several fish today and I kept 1....chastize me if you want, but I'm getting laid tonight because my wife loves fresh steelhead on the grill!  And if any of you married men out there know anything, you know most wives don't give it up when we've gone a day fishin'!  Oh by the way, the fish I kept was a fresh jack, and they are tasty to me.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/05 20:24:14

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 20:46:02 (permalink)
    ShutUp, mmm....love starting a response like that. Anyway I'm not going to get caught up in a C&R/keep em all debate, because it usually ends up with me feeling a little like this

I think when the people on this thread mentioned stringers they were talking about smolt on stringers. If you want to keep fish, as long as you buy a license go ahead, if you want to keep jacks instead of having another 6-8 pounder next year go ahead

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:02:14 (permalink)
    tippy, I read "jacks" all on stringers and a "hen" on a stringer in this thread alone.  I got many jacks in the 4 to 5 pound range today.  The one I kept happened to be one of the largest, and it was pushing 6 lbs.  I didn;t hear of any smolts being kept on stringers, but if that is the case, I feel the smolts should be released and treated with care.  I've been doing alot of fishing this spring and have yet to catch a smolt nor have I seen one caught around me.  I know one thing, I saw the Mergansers putting a hurting on them today.  All we can hope for is that when the smolts reach the lake, in due time, they will do their best to survive.  Because out there, is where there lives will become a living Hell.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:10:29 (permalink)
    ShutUp, if you get laid for Steelhead, what would you get for Merganser meat  

"Just wait till the clueless start keeping smolt after opening day of trout season.  Seen several people in the past with stringers full of smolt.  I guess they had a problem telling how big the fish were as well as what species... "

This is the quote I'm talking about

"

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stranded Smolts 2007/04/05 21:17:51 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm...Merganser is out of season right now, but I'll have to wait until the fall and see!  It'll be tough, the wife is a softy for grilled fish.

I didn't see the quote, but I agree about the clueless.  How can we educate the clueless?  I guess there will always be clueless....do you think maybe the PAFBC acounts for the clueless when stocking?
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/04/05 21:18:37

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: