Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/12 16:25:06 (permalink)
"How would I convince commissioners that are politically posturing for the license increase at the expense of the deer program? I think if it was up to Boop, we wouldn't shoot antlerless deer at all! "

Which is fine, because it takes a view such as his to balance out a board that has had people like Pallone, Schleiden and now Isabella who if it were "up to them" would probably be happy to have them ALL shot.

It should be very interesting to see what transpires at the April meeting. Though as usual, im not expecting much other than staying the ridiculous course.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/12 16:26:31
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/12 16:55:57 (permalink)
I'am predicting there will be some easing up on the doe killing in 2F and 2G and the DMAP tags will be included in the doe license allocations rather than on top of them. Besides that not much for increasing the herd.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/12 20:35:38 (permalink)
Okay I'll buy one and done in the 70s..

I know it has not been that way since 1980 anyhow...

I can not see 2F tags being decreased at all and DMAP will always be seperate from regular doe tags...

the PGC is not going to allow the county treasurers to get that dollar too !!!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/03/12 20:37:33
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 00:20:36 (permalink)
no reaction here, I don't shoot does.  Haven't since the EHD, we are probably at about 60 % the deer numbers from before, which is odd, because a lot of other people who had it hit, have back like 90 % of the deer.  I think the neighbors are hard on the does.

I dont plan on shooting anymore PA does, probably ever.  Maybe a bean fed little piglet baby doe in OH, but def. not one where I hunt in Pa. 

I will continue to shoot legal bucks though.  Not the first one I see, but when bow season draws close to an end, I get less picky.  No big deal.  I haven't rifle hunted Pa in 3 years.  F that S.  May never again, until there is a real giant running around that I may have an opportunity at.

I do however hunt WV with a bow, no gun, and I hunt Ohio bow and muzzleloader.

Here is a novel approach.  if you have lots of deer, shoot a doe, if you dont see many deer, dont shoot a doe.  Pretty illogical, I know. 
I'm just Jaggin'.  Do what you want.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 00:38:22 (permalink)
lol No really that makes sense, if you see a good number of deer sure take a doe just dont invite 30 ppl to take one too of that land. I'll still shoot a doe in Pa..this year I did not. Barely even hunted with a gun in pa, really didnt actually..sat with the Pops a couple days. But To any rate, I really could care less if they shortened it. I think it would help to some degree put a rebound on the herd, but then in the same sense anyone who is shooting deer consistantly makes the time to do it..so it would take alot of the "weekenders" out of the harvest report most likely, and im sure they make a great deal of the percentage of overkilled in the state.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 08:54:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

no reaction here, I don't shoot does.  Haven't since the EHD, we are probably at about 60 % the deer numbers from before, which is odd, because a lot of other people who had it hit, have back like 90 % of the deer.  I think the neighbors are hard on the does.

Our area was hit hard too tippie and we are back to about 80%.  If you are only up to about 60%, one of two things are occuring.  Does are being shot at a good rate or the habitat is not up to snuff and the coyotes are able to keep a slight check on fawns.

One thing to consider Tippie is we realized pretty quick how beneficial lower deer numbers are compared to what they were before EHD.  The deer themselves are heavier on average.  Our group has decided to try to keep the numbers were they are at now which is a decrease from before EHD.  We took some does this past season for the first time in three years. 

My rifle is a black rifle
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 11:07:30 (permalink)
This area was hit by ehd, one of the hardest hit areas. Id say we are somewhere around 60-70% what we were previously. THe herd was already being reduced significantly by the time ehd hit. 55-60,000 tags doesnt allow for much growth....ehd or no ehd.

"One thing to consider Tippie is we realized pretty quick how beneficial lower deer numbers are compared to what they were before EHD."

For the many properties i hunt across the unit, i certainly saw NO upside to the disease. Ive weighed every buck our group has killed for years and have seen no changes in most areas (with a couple notable exceptions) since long before hr or since ehd. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the herd health or habitat here over large areas of real estate. Not saying that cant be a localized thing though...Back in our very highest deer density days...the late 90's I hunted an area with way too many deer, not even debatable, and yes the deer indeed were very noticably smaller on average per age class, compared to deer on properties of lower deer densities on the other end of the county.

I would offer that, if you are seeing differences in deer body size since ehd, then your area was an exception that hadnt been hit much if at all by herd reduction prior to the ehd outbreak.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/13 11:10:05
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 15:46:57 (permalink)
There are definitely fewer deer in the area of 2A that I hunt since EHD. Our area got hit pretty good. But there are still more than I see in 2F and they didn't even have EHD.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 17:51:16 (permalink)
As there should be Danesdad. It would be absolutely ridiculous to ever have fewer in 2a than 2F when the carry capacity of 2a is probably 2 or 3 times that of 2f due to habitat type etc. No comparison. And what one has or doesnt have, or for that matter should have has absolutely no bearing on the other. In 2A you have tons of edge habitat some ag, reverting aglands etc., along with the mildest climate in the state, and doesnt have the thin very poor soils of the north and expansive unbroken wall to wall pole & mature timber. Hardly comparable to the bigwoods of 2F or 2G.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/13 17:58:49
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/13 19:43:59 (permalink)
Dr.

Hate to correct you but it was one and done until 87-88
this comes from the PGC website.

1987 - Bonus deer program adopted for Southeastern Special Regulations Area counties giving hunters with appropriate licenses the chance to take two deer in one license year. At least one of the two deer must be antlerless.

1988 - Bonus deer program implemented statewide giving hunters with appropriate licenses the chance to take two deer in one license year. One of the two deer must be antlerless.

1990 - Hunters may buy two bonus licenses, which will permit them to harvest of up to three deer. Two of the three deer must be antlerless.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=587767&mode=2

Additionally I think the DMAP will be included in the antlerless allocation, but still a seperate purchase, as was reccomended by WMI.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/14 14:56:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

As there should be Danesdad. It would be absolutely ridiculous to ever have fewer in 2a than 2F when the carry capacity of 2a is probably 2 or 3 times that of 2f due to habitat type etc. No comparison. And what one has or doesnt have, or for that matter should have has absolutely no bearing on the other. In 2A you have tons of edge habitat some ag, reverting aglands etc., along with the mildest climate in the state, and doesnt have the thin very poor soils of the north and expansive unbroken wall to wall pole & mature timber. Hardly comparable to the bigwoods of 2F or 2G.

Bro, I can remember when there were 10 times as many deer in 2F as there was in 2A.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 07:37:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

Our area was hit hard too tippie and we are back to about 80%.  If you are only up to about 60%, one of two things are occuring.  Does are being shot at a good rate or the habitat is not up to snuff and the coyotes are able to keep a slight check on fawns.

One thing to consider Tippie is we realized pretty quick how beneficial lower deer numbers are compared to what they were before EHD.  The deer themselves are heavier on average.

DPMS,

Pretty interesting observations, I would say you probably hit the nail on the head with both those reasons.  My folks only own 10 acres, although, I get to hunt one of the neighbors properties, and it has about 50 more so lets say about 50 acres of huntable land(about 10 being long driveways, and yards. )

The other neighbors bought their property about 5 years ago, and they have been hard on the does.  That property was also logged before they bought it, so it is very thick, and great coyote habitat, I hear them often when I am at the folks in the evening.

I haven't really noticed much of a size difference in the deer size, I would say the food is pretty much the same as before.  The eat hay in fields at night, and browse on the thick stuff during the day.  Not many real crops, but not real bad habitat either.  About the same as it has always been.

I do see more 2.5 year old bucks(the reasonably skinny racked 14.5 inch wide, 8pts)  I would much rather see them then what I saw before AR(spike-4 pt, ear width, 1.5y.o.)  I guess it is just the difference in "micro-habitats."  I agree with some that AR isn't making monster bucks, but I dont think that is what is was supposed to do.  There has always and always will be a few monsters running around, but they are the smart ones, and they only get killed by luck, or someone who does a crapload of homework who also happens to be a little lucky. 

When the EHD hit, it was so localized, it was truly bizarre.  I also hunt a good friend of mines grandmothers farm, and it has more deer then before the EHD, and I don't think they lost a one that year.  Did you guys notice the same thing?

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 12:44:45 (permalink)
"Bro, I can remember when there were 10 times as many deer in 2F as there was in 2A."

I never said the deer herd wasnt mismanaged previously. I think most agree that to some extent it was. But currently the attempt is to grossly overcompensate. No way should 2f or 2g have higher deer densities than 2a. Although its not the case, if that would be the case then one or both are being grossly mismanaged.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/15 12:56:35
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 12:52:20 (permalink)
"When the EHD hit, it was so localized, it was truly bizarre."

Wasnt all that "localized" here...maybe on the outskirt areas of the "epicenter". Though i had heard at the time that in some areas in had been hit or miss. But right in the heart of it in northwestern Greene, there were dead deer on just about every farm we checked in several mile area. Some maybe 50% losses....others probably upwards of 80 or 90.... On a couple of joining large properties it was VERY hard to find a track the first year, or to see any deer in the area while spotting other than an occaissinal one or two and some nights ZERO.

But yeah, there were alot of areas spared throughout the wmu....Still didnt mean there wasnt very appreciable losses. Thankfully although its taken a while here in these parts the herd is on its way back but need to get rid of the ridiculous 55k tags and go to reasonable levels. When we were supposedly decreasing our all time high herd in this wmu we had 10-20 thousand less tags than we do now that we have half the deer thanks to herd reduction and the goal now is supposely stabilization!! We need an allocation tweak that doesnt look to be coming.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/15 12:59:44
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 13:28:48 (permalink)
I was thinking localized as in Nineveh was totally wiped out, while Allepo-New Freeport still had all their deer.  Not so much localized as in farm-to-farm.

DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 13:45:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wayne c

"Bro, I can remember when there were 10 times as many deer in 2F as there was in 2A."

I never said the deer herd wasnt mismanaged previously. I think most agree that to some extent it was. But currently the attempt is to grossly overcompensate. No way should 2f or 2g have higher deer densities than 2a. Although its not the case, if that would be the case then one or both are being grossly mismanaged.

If , by mismanaged, you mean that it was two weeks od buck followed by three days of doe, and one and done, you are right, The whole state was mismanaged. But back then, deer were way more numerous up north than they were down in the southern part of the state. When I was a kid, it was almost unheard of to see a deer in the area where I lived, which was 2B. Now, 2B is pretty populated. If you wanted to get a deer back in the 70s, the areas that are now 2F and 2G were THE place to go. You only went to 2A to hunt rabbits and ringnecks.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 13:52:38 (permalink)

I was thinking localized as in Nineveh was totally wiped out, while Allepo-New Freeport still had all their deer.  Not so much localized as in farm-to-farm.

Some locals told me that in some places, one hollow would be wiped out, while the next hollow over seemed unaffected. The place I hunt got beat up pretty good. The farmer found 15 antlered bucks dead on his place alone (not to mention at least as many does). He told me that you couldn't even go up into some of the hollows during the summer because they smelled so badly. The next year, I passed on any doe I saw, which wasn't many. There still aren't as many deer as there were in the past (at least by my observation), but they're coming back.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 14:11:58 (permalink)
"I was thinking localized as in Nineveh was totally wiped out, while Allepo-New Freeport still had all their deer. Not so much localized as in farm-to-farm."

In that case, i agree completely Tippe. I thought you were referring to farm to farm. I heard some trying to minimize the event by saying it was VERY localized and on a farm to farm basis on another site when this first happened. I just had to shake my head and laugh. lol

If , by mismanaged, you mean that it was two weeks od buck followed by three days of doe, and one and done, you are right, The whole state was mismanaged.

I wasnt trying to single out any one or two practices but speaking in general, but id agree that those examples arent my idea of ideal management practices. Thing i was speaking of as far as mismanagement was that there were too many deer in many areas....And now theyve overcompensated.

But back then, deer were way more numerous up north than they were down in the southern part of the state. When I was a kid, it was almost unheard of to see a deer in the area where I lived, which was 2B. Now, 2B is pretty populated. If you wanted to get a deer back in the 70s, the areas that are now 2F and 2G were THE place to go. You only went to 2A to hunt rabbits and ringnecks.

Yeah, some of the units were much different back then especially habitatwise. But now they are what they are and i dont see that changing anytime soon for the foreseeable future. It also doesnt matter what we have now, had previously or will have in the future, because we could kill every deer in a unit, but that wouldnt mean the unit couldnt hold any deer. And a unit can be well above or well below its carrying capacity. Fact is some units have a MUCH higher carry capacity due to many factors. Mountainous mature forests just arent gonna and shouldnt hold a ton of deer. Im not convinced the numbers have to be what they are currently there and there isnt room for herd increase, but its 100% out of the question to expect there to be the same numbers as the very best areas of the state. Thats also highlighted by the fact some areas are 4 pt others 3 ar due to differences in growth rate.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/15 14:22:26
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/15 14:15:25 (permalink)
"Some locals told me that in some places, one hollow would be wiped out, while the next hollow over seemed unaffected."

The unit is a large area. Im sure there may have been areas within it that were effected in that way. Others had quite a few square miles at a clip whacked. Some of the unit had large areas nearly untouched.

At any rate... I hope that b.s. doesnt come back any time soon.

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/24 08:48:03 (permalink)
I had no problem killing a doe in a 2 day(gun) season,that most of you don't even know about,had no problem in a three day season,( and bonus tags)and the two week season could just get down right ugly if I was a (poacher)I saw deer everyday that I could have killed. If you hunt all season,bow,gun.and flint and can't kill a doe,you should take up another hobby.I say 3-5 day gun season would be ok,and reduce tags,some of the mountain counties,should consider a complete shout down but that's not going to happen.A one tag per hunter would be ok with me,if hunter used better judgement as to where to kill(like if your hunting a area that your seeing tons of does daily,it's the place to shoot one,if your hunting somewhere a see 3 does all week.I think you may want to kill your doe somewhere else.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 09:27:51 (permalink)
Sound commentary Big Tuna. If deer hunters really wanted the PGC's attention, the answer would not be boycotting license purchase, it would be to stop shooting does for a year. A self imposed ban on doe harvest would be an attention grabber without fincancially strapping the pgc.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 10:04:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Sound commentary Big Tuna. If deer hunters really wanted the PGC's attention, the answer would not be boycotting license purchase, it would be to stop shooting does for a year. A self imposed ban on doe harvest would be an attention grabber without fincancially strapping the pgc.

I also agree that this is a sound commentary.

But here is the flaw -- "If you hunt all season,bow,gun.and flint and can't kill a doe,you should take up another hobby."

70% of PA hunters are NOT bow hunters and even less are flint hunters.  They are gun hunters only.  And the majority of them do not hunt all season, they hunt 1 - 4 days. 

Ask the guy that gets to hunt 2 days per year and kills a deer every 3-4 years to pass on killing one that is deemed legal by the PGC and possibly go another 3-4 years before they get another opportunity and they will tell you to sit on the future.

And if the attitude is to demonize and eliminate those ranks by telling them they are not worthy and to find another hobby, be prepared for the financial collapse of the PGC upon their departure from the sport and its absorption into DCNR where hunters will be relegated to red haired stepchild status.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 11:07:41 (permalink)
And if the attitude is to demonize and eliminate those ranks by telling them they are not worthy and to find another hobby, be prepared for the financial collapse of the PGC upon their departure from the sport and its absorption into DCNR where hunters will be relegated to red haired stepchild status.

And those that fall under your category will still find a deer and kill it.

Ironhed
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 14:59:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

I also agree that this is a sound commentary.

But here is the flaw -- "If you hunt all season,bow,gun.and flint and can't kill a doe,you should take up another hobby."

70% of PA hunters are NOT bow hunters and even less are flint hunters.  They are gun hunters only.  And the majority of them do not hunt all season, they hunt 1 - 4 days. 

Ask the guy that gets to hunt 2 days per year and kills a deer every 3-4 years to pass on killing one that is deemed legal by the PGC and possibly go another 3-4 years before they get another opportunity and they will tell you to sit on the future.

Exactly! Those casual, weekend hunters are in the vast majority! Those are the guys that pay the PGCs bills. The PGC ignores those guys at its own peril!
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 16:07:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Ironhed

I don't understand your statement.

Do you mean me personally?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 17:09:57 (permalink)
"hunters will be relegated to red haired stepchild status"

I think that pretty much describes about where we are at CURRENTLY.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 20:11:00 (permalink)

When the EHD hit, it was so localized, it was truly bizarre.  I also hunt a good friend of mines grandmothers farm, and it has more deer then before the EHD, and I don't think they lost a one that year.  Did you guys notice the same thing?

Sorry it took me awhile, forgot about this thread.  Yes it was very localized.  Some areas wiped out, others 5 miles up the road fine.

My rifle is a black rifle
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 20:38:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

ORIGINAL: Ironhed

Ironhed

I don't understand your statement.

Do you mean me personally?

No, not you personally.
I'm talking about the mockery in your last post.

Ironhed

Ironhed
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 22:15:30 (permalink)
"Exactly! Those casual, weekend hunters are in the vast majority! Those are the guys that pay the PGCs bills. The PGC ignores those guys at its own peril!"

How so? The PGC is about to become independently wealthy, or so I hear. Not sure where

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/25 22:49:29 (permalink)
MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY!

LOL.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/03/25 22:50:11
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: