Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/06 21:43:48 (permalink)

Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons.

In spite of agreeing to stay the course until a four year study in some WMUs with a shortened antlerless season was complete, the commissioners gave preliminary approval to shortening the seasons in additional WMUs. Delaney doesn't believe that this will lower the antlerless kill in these WMUs (and I agree). Preliminary data indicate that harvest objectives are being met with the split season. In other words, hunters are killing as many antlerless deer in the one week limited season as they were on the two week concurrent seasons of the past. So, clearly, the commissioners realize that shortening the season will not reduce the kill, so why did they do it? What is to be gained by making it less convienent for hunters and reducing opportunity? If they wanted to lower the kill, why wouldn't they just lower the allocation of tags?

91 Replies Related Threads

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/06 22:43:43 (permalink)
    Best news I heard in awhile. If they are not going to give less tags then this is the second best thing.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/06 23:03:43 (permalink)
    But it wont reduce the kill. The commissioners admitted as much. If you want the number of antlerless deer killed to decrease, this isn't helping at all.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/06 23:11:47 (permalink)
    I believe it will decrease the kill in my hunting area. Not sure if Im even hunting this year but if I do on the first day if I hear shots there is a good chance it is a buck. Mabey the weather will be bad the second week and it will really help the population. We can only hope.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/06 23:44:07 (permalink)
    Maybe they think folks will have a better chance at bagging one of those "older.wiser" bucks, if folks aren't blasting at does the 1st week?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 00:45:51 (permalink)
    Do you think they are counting on bad weather the second week to reduce the kill? Or are you hoping guys will have used up all their vacation? Good God, I hope the PGC isn't thinking that way.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 07:13:51 (permalink)
    No I am sure they are not counting on bad weather, like someone said before if they dont get the kill they want they will just increase tag sales next year so we might be worst off in the long run. I just like the idea of a shorter doe season. I still think the guys that need or really want to kill a doe will, and mabey instead of taking their vacation on the second day they take it the second monday. I am hoping for bad weather the second week.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 07:49:19 (permalink)
    Since the reason they gave for going to the 2 week season was to "Increase" the doe kill doesn't it make sense that going to a shorter season will "Reduce" the doe kill?
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 08:51:29 (permalink)
    IMHO, the reason for shortening the season, if it is not going to decrease the harvest (and they said it wouldn't) is to provide a little slight-of-hand.  Hunters during the first week will "see" more deer simply because less of them, all the does that would have been shot duirng that period for the last several years, will still be alive and running around.  This will provide the appearance of "more" deer and will get the hunters that are complaining about not seeing enough deer off the PGC's back.  Then, during the second week, hunters will start to kill those deer and get out of the woods more satisfied.

Its a win/win for the PGC.  It will lessen the complaints from those that say there aren't enough deer because those guys will be seeing more deer the first week and the PGC will still get the kill they want (because alottments haven't changed) to appease the other nonfunding stakeholders.

Unless the allocation change, the harvest, within an insignificant percentage difference, won't.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 09:16:59 (permalink)
    I have long felt that the old three day antlerless season was way to short and very bad for many reasons.  While I like the 2 week concurrent that exists now, I could live with the current split statewide if that is the direction they are going.

With that being said I would prefer that the ongoing study in the original 4 WMU is completed and the hunting public informed of the results before the PGC proceeds with adding more WMU.

My only concern with the split format is the extra pressure on the antlered deer.  Also, in the past, antlerless season opened on a last Saturday of antlered and the buck kill was extremely high which caught many off guard.  That scenario will happen on the first Saturday with this proposal as the very high pressure will surely put some additional bucks in the sights of those looking just to fill a doe tag.   This was called incidental antlered kill. The antlered kill will surely go up.

There are many motives for this proposal and most seem to be social.  Though social aspects need to be factored into sound game management, giving them more weight is a slippery slope.
    post edited by dpms - 2010/03/07 09:47:10

My rifle is a black rifle
    eyegore
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 09:22:16 (permalink)
    They are doing it just to appease the hunters that are complaining that there are no deer.  I disagree with their motives.  If you are only allowed 1 doe, then it doesn't matter if it is shot the first week or the second.  The same amount will be taken.  The only way to reduce the amount of doe taken is to reduce the amount of licenses sold.  
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 09:46:33 (permalink)
    You might want to read page 3 and 4 of the Deer Management Plan 2003-2009 to see the reasons they went to longer and more doe seasons and then explain why reducing them wouldn't have the opposite effect.

www.wmapgh.com/management_plan.pdf
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 12:24:12 (permalink)
    Harvest will decrease slightly I believe, not by much but some. My brother lives in an area where the split season has already been in effect and has noticed a difference in deer numbers on his property.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 15:18:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarDys

IMHO, the reason for shortening the season, if it is not going to decrease the harvest (and they said it wouldn't) is to provide a little slight-of-hand.  Hunters during the first week will "see" more deer simply because less of them, all the does that would have been shot duirng that period for the last several years, will still be alive and running around.  This will provide the appearance of "more" deer and will get the hunters that are complaining about not seeing enough deer off the PGC's back.  Then, during the second week, hunters will start to kill those deer and get out of the woods more satisfied.

Its a win/win for the PGC.  It will lessen the complaints from those that say there aren't enough deer because those guys will be seeing more deer the first week and the PGC will still get the kill they want (because alottments haven't changed) to appease the other nonfunding stakeholders.

Unless the allocation change, the harvest, within an insignificant percentage difference, won't.

This makes sense, although it seems deceitful.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 16:33:02 (permalink)
    I agree with DarDys. That IS the reasoning!!!!!.....WF
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 16:40:54 (permalink)
    It makes sense...especially the "slight of hand" part.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 17:30:43 (permalink)
    With all the opinions on this (here and elsewhere), I'm curious why no one has looked at the existing data ? Shouldn't that answer the questions we have ?

I got out the pen and paper.

I could only use a year before and a year after. I hoped to compare 2 years before/after. The PGC site doesn't have a link to 2006-2007 harvest.

I chose WMU 2D and 2G and compared 2008-2009 to 2005-2006.

2D for 2008-2009 - 38% of the harvest is buck. For 2005-2006 buck harvest was 31% of the kill.
    2G for 2008-2009 - 51% of the harvest was buck. For 2005-2006 buck harvest was 47% of the kill.

Really only two things one can conclude from that. A one week doe season will lower doe harvest and raise buck harvest.

Or..

Hunters in 2008-2009 were less likely to shoot a doe than in 2005-2006.

What does this mean for deer numbers ?

In 2D, it means about 650 more bucks are taken because of the season cut. It means about 1000 doe will be saved.
    In 2G, it means about 300 more bucks are taken because of the season cut. It means about 275 doe will be saved.

I can't find embyro counts for these WMU's, so let's say every doe will have one surviving fawn into the following hunting season. So in 2D, we can expect 2000 more deer. Since 50% of fawns are bucks, we can expect 500 more bucks. In total because of the season change, we've lost a total of 150 bucks. Sounds like a younger buck herd too.

In 2G we can expect 500 more deer, 275 of them bucks. In total we've lost 25 bucks.

Comparing a single year to another isn't what I'd consider great data. Plus, I didn't consider the usual annual 22% button buck harvest. But with what I compared, I see a small lose in bucks, and a small rise in doe. A little bit less older bucks and more younger bucks.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 17:54:01 (permalink)
    So, we're shooting for going back to the days where we saw 20 or more deer in a day, 19 does and one spike? Man, that's progress.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 18:01:43 (permalink)
    The affect seems small DD, so I hope we don't end up there. Again, comparing one year to another doesn't produce many facts. The new PGC site doesn't provide the data it used to. It's more organized, but there's less of it.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 19:48:48 (permalink)
    Well I'll admit that there isn't enough data to draw any conclusions. Which is why I really dont understand the reason for expanding the split season into new WMUs before the four year study for the first ones was complete.
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/07 21:05:24 (permalink)
    In gun season my hunting group does some drives on public land on 2D and there definitely seemed to be an increase in young bucks this year compared to years past. we did drives on 5 days and we saw from 8-12 sub legal bucks every time. We were not putting up the same bucks, we had drives with 4 and 5 bucks coming out past the same people. In prior years we would be lucky to see 4 or 5 bucks a day in these places. Still way too many does in these places, so I am not sure this is the right thing to do everywhere.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/08 07:37:45 (permalink)
    Anytime you shorten the doe season and leave the allocation alone you are bound to kill fewer doe. How many fewer I wouldn't know. As DPMS and Kype said, by starting doe season on any day during buck season except the first you have in essence created two first days and will kill more bucks than normal. One of the first major mistakes Alt made and admitted to was when he started doe season on the last Sat of buck.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/08 07:51:07 (permalink)
    Yep......  One of my concerns along with the apparent social trump.

My rifle is a black rifle
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/08 12:06:53 (permalink)
    Social concerns are a major part of EVERY states deer management plan and very well should be. And to consider stakeholder views is only to be expected. And yes, hunters are stakeholders. Though i dont think it was wise of them to address the social issue with restructuring the season length just to play "head games" with the hunters, when in the end, they're gonna be forced to cut allocations as well anyway, because most dont see the changes as significant enough to allow herd growth or permit a fee increase.

Having said that, on the issue of shortened doe season, Id much prefer it to stay the full two weeks in at least some of the units, for the reason dpms and others mentioned. Going to one week will undoubtedly place more pressure on buck, and as for the antlerless some control will be lost due to lesser efficiency due to variables effecting the shorter season more....also there are years of data now that can be used to guide the 2 week season, whereas 1 week is largely unknown. Also, imho, there will be minimal effect in "saving" more does, and if it did, they said they'll simply adjust the allocation anyway... And i have little doubt that they will.

By shortening, I feel that a little "control" is lost considering factors such as weather etc. and feel a far better way to allow herd growth is to cut the allocation to reasonable levels (and not jack them straight back up the second the have a fee increase in hand). The absolute lowest deer density areas of the state might need further provisions to promote herd growth, but a simple reasonable allocation adjustment would be just what the doctor ordered for much of the state.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/08 12:29:17 (permalink)
    Really makes no difference to me either way. I will say that it might be easier to keep kids interested if they were to see more deer, even with smaller bucks. Just got a doe two weeks ago, 45 mph in a VW Beetle... wanna guess the estimate?
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/08 18:33:54 (permalink)
    In a VW beetle, you can hit a blade of grass the wrong way and have a big estimate. lol
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/09 13:08:10 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, it's one of the least damaged vehicles I've ever had following a deer hit. Estimate is only $860. Broken lower grille, spider webbed paint on bumper cover and a scratch about 1.5 inches long on the hood. I fully expected the entire front end to be crushed.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/09 15:24:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Anytime you shorten the doe season and leave the allocation alone you are bound to kill fewer doe. How many fewer I wouldn't know. As DPMS and Kype said, by starting doe season on any day during buck season except the first you have in essence created two first days and will kill more bucks than normal. One of the first major mistakes Alt made and admitted to was when he started doe season on the last Sat of buck.

Yes, because they are making it less convienent for hunters to shoot doe. Commissioner Delaney came out and said he doesn't expect the harvest numbers to change much, if at all. This just looks like posturing, whereas lowering the allocfation of tags would have real, tangible and immediate effects.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/09 15:25:53 (permalink)
    "By shortening, I feel that a little "control" is lost considering factors such as weather etc. and feel a far better way to allow herd growth is to cut the allocation to reasonable levels (and not jack them straight back up the second the have a fee increase in hand). The absolute lowest deer density areas of the state might need further provisions to promote herd growth, but a simple reasonable allocation adjustment would be just what the doctor ordered for much of the state."

-YESSSS!!!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Your reaction to the shortened doe seasons. 2010/03/09 23:09:50 (permalink)
    "Yes, because they are making it less convienent for hunters to shoot doe."

I would imagine, that cutting allocations, would make it fairly "inconvenient" for those that don't get a permit. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: