Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pacarper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 463
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/28 19:46:57 (permalink)

3 Rods in PA?

Here's an interesting article: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_664434.html
It will be interesting to see what happens with this 3 rod proposal.

38 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 19:55:15 (permalink)
    believe it got shot down already... check the meeting mins of the PFBC meeting today
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:05:38 (permalink)
    the 2 rod rule is ridiculous.  if you aren't keeping more than your limit of fish then why does it matter how many rods you use.  i can see maybe limiting people to using 2 rods on stocked trout lakes but everywhere else you should be allowed 3 rods at least.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:13:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pxatim

believe it got shot down already... check the meeting mins of the PFBC meeting today

Do you have a link to the minutes?
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:15:18 (permalink)
    That was the point brought up. If you have it that 3 rods are only allowed on non trout approved waters then it avoids a lot of issues of overcrowding. This is for all species by the way and just not carp. States are doing 3 rods now for many reasons. FOr one life is fast paced and when you get out there you want to catch a lot of fish or fish for more than one specie of fish. Usually 2 rods will be for one specie and the other will be for something else or you could do all 3 for one specie. Most bank anglers rely on bringing the fish to them so this increases the chances of doing do. When you fish bass or species like that I only use 1 rod as you are covering water so it is easier. Creel limits are set in place already so there won't be any issue there and all the lakes that are trout approved are in the rule book so non mistaking there. My friend brough a letter from Hardy's USA which is a huge fly fishing company and they are also a big carp gear company as well and they showed there approval of this as well. Not only does it help the angler but it helps the economy and would help this PA based company.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:18:30 (permalink)
    It'll pass give it time even though it won't apply to trout waters...Typical FC all about those poor trout, trout this, and opening day of said fesh

Bill Sabatose of Jefferson County and Tom Shetterly of Washington said they feared allowing anglers to use an additional rod would create problems during trout season, when lakes in particular are often ringed with dense crowds of fishermen.
    "I see nothing but conflict coming," Sabatose said.
    "It's going to be a nightmare," Shetterly agreed.

That happens every trout season as it is

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:22:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: accordbw

That was the point brought up. If you have it that 3 rods are only allowed on non trout approved waters then it avoids a lot of issues of overcrowding. This is for all species by the way and just not carp. States are doing 3 rods now for many reasons. FOr one life is fast paced and when you get out there you want to catch a lot of fish or fish for more than one specie of fish. Usually 2 rods will be for one specie and the other will be for something else or you could do all 3 for one specie. Most bank anglers rely on bringing the fish to them so this increases the chances of doing do. When you fish bass or species like that I only use 1 rod as you are covering water so it is easier. Creel limits are set in place already so there won't be any issue there and all the lakes that are trout approved are in the rule book so non mistaking there. My friend brough a letter from Hardy's USA which is a huge fly fishing company and they are also a big carp gear company as well and they showed there approval of this as well. Not only does it help the angler but it helps the economy and would help this PA based company.

If you need me for the next meeting I'll go...If there is another? Me thinks Sam got outta line...Trout bashing is bad mmmk LMAO

I like to see this pass, I mean that new pod I got just doesn't seem right with only two rods on it
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2010/01/28 20:26:28

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    onestring
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:27:23 (permalink)
    i will catch as many fish as u with one pole

u can only reel one in at a time right
    post edited by onestring - 2010/01/28 20:29:58
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:34:52 (permalink)
    SUre you can reel in one at a time but you can have a fish on each rod. lol I have done it many of times and you might just be surprised how many fish we catch and release each time out. I know Cory sure does ok. lol
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:40:52 (permalink)
    most of the time i ripp so many fish with 1 rod i dont know what i would do with 3.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 20:51:06 (permalink)
    I think thats the whole point is knowing your limits and when its appropriate to use 3 and using your own discretion. On slow days 3 would be great and if it picked up use less and change it according to your fishing.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:14:57 (permalink)

I think thats the whole point is knowing your limits and when its appropriate to use 3 and using your own discretion. On slow days 3 would be great and if it picked up use less and change it according to your fishing.

Brian, ya sound like some kind of expert on this issue.  Ya make good points tho.  The last two guys ya responded to most likely fish the carp paylakes, so ya know who you're dealing with----many of them don't quite get or care about the Euro ways.
    Course, who knows if they change the rules to 3 rods on some public waters, maybe the PA paylakes will go to 3 rods too, like many of the NC paylakes allow.
    Two rods are good, 3 would be better, and give ya more options the way I see it, as ya pointed out.  Course things could be worse and we could be stuck with one rod like some places, so.........................
    Other surrounding states allow 3 or more rods, so why not here too.  Makes sense, especially for still bank fishing, like us carp and cat fisherman do.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:23:53 (permalink)
    paylakes will prob never go to 3 rods cause of crowding issues. some ohio cat lakes charges $3.00 to $4.00 more for extra rods, but most of those lakes are much bigger.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:28:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pacarper

ORIGINAL: pxatim

Do you have a link to the minutes?

I'll see if I can find it.. I was reading them earlier and saw something about this... just skimmed over it though.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:33:40 (permalink)

SUre you can reel in one at a time but you can have a fish on each rod. lol I have done it many of times and you might just be surprised how many fish we catch and release each time out. I know Cory sure does ok. lol

Ok isn't the word at times  Sometimes I wish they would let me rebait my other line.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:36:10 (permalink)
    Looks like no action was taken, but from this it sounds like no one see's any reason why they couldn't up it to 3 lines. If passed it will come into effect Jan 1, 2011

The guys trolling for eyes will like this...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/minutes.htm
    Click on the "Agenda" link, scroll to page 9

FISHERIES
    PROPOSED RULEMAKING
    A. Amendments to Section 63.6 (Authorized Devices for Game Fish, Baitfish and Fishbait).
    Commentary:
    Under section 63.6 of the Commission’s regulations, no more than two lines may be used at one time when fishing, except while ice fishing under section 63.10. Recently, several anglers have expressed interest in having this regulation amended to allow for the use of three lines. The current restriction dates back to at least the 1930’s. However, when staff recently reviewed this matter, they did not raise any concerns over increasing the number of lines to three. Harvest is primarily controlled through the use of season, size limit and creel limit regulations. Therefore, a change in the number of devices from two to three should have little effect on managing the fisheries of the Commonwealth. Any concerns to this change are likely to be social. Staff accordingly recommend that the Commission solicit public comments through the publication of a notice of proposed rulemaking containing the following amendment:
    § 63.6. Authorized devices for game fish, baitfish and fishbait.
    (a) It is unlawful to fish for game fish with more than [two] three lines of any description, whether fished by rod or by hand, at one time except while ice fishing in accordance with §63.10 (relating to ice fishing). ***
    (b) It is unlawful to fish for baitfish with more than [two] three lines of any description, whether fished by rod or by hand, at one time with not more than three hooks attached to each line; a dip-net or minnow seine not over 4 feet square or 4 feet in diameter, and a minnow trap, with not more than two openings, which may not exceed 1 inch in diameter. ***
    (d) It is unlawful to use more than [two] three lines at any time, except while ice fishing in accordance with §63.10, when fishing for game fish, baitfish or both.
    Briefer:
    Leroy M. Young, Jr., Director, Bureau of Fisheries
    Recommendation:
    Staff recommend that the Commission approve the publication of a notice of proposed rulemaking containing the amendment described in the Commentary. If adopted on final rulemaking, this amendment will go into effect on January 1, 2011.
    Action:
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 21:46:45 (permalink)
    I would like to see this pass.  Even though I spend most of my time fishing using a flyrod, and not just for trout.  Not sure how the actual regulations would end up but here is why I would like to see it.  Me and my dad(since he really can't walk anymore) spend a good bit of time stillfishing in the river with two rods.  Most times are the wonderful overnight trips.  When the fishing gets slow, sometimes I'll reel one in and start throwing stuff with a flyrod.  Where we fish most of the time, there is a small stream that flows in and some smaller bass and walleyes come up to the gravel bars that get formed there.  Those small fish have saved many nights from being a really bad trip.  Would be nice to keep that other baited rod out there.

I know there are people that are against this 3 rod thing but just because the rod count would be increased, doesn't mean "you" have to do it.  I have friends that go with us sometimes and they are more than happy using just one rod. 

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    Miss Murderess
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:04:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man
    I like to see this pass, I mean that new pod I got just doesn't seem right with only two rods on it

Tackle Tart.

Life's a b***h. You've got to go out and kick**** :P
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:18:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Miss Murderess

Tackle Tart.

LOL
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:28:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Miss Murderess

Tackle Tart.

Jealously gets you nowhere...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Miss Murderess
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:34:12 (permalink)
    I'll remember that, FYI I got a throwing stick now and I been praticing.

Life's a b***h. You've got to go out and kick**** :P
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:45:26 (permalink)
    Eww, I hated mine of course I got a cheapo one at Shawnee. Slingshot sends baits futher then that thing.
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2010/01/28 22:46:18

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 22:52:34 (permalink)
    I think thats a good point to make also is when traveling to new waters it gives you a better chance of learning the lake also. Gives you more ability to experiment and make the trip worthwhile. I know quite a few anglers who pay for the 3 rod states instead of coming here and that was another reason as well.Maryland has some nice fishing and they allow 3 rods.One other thing I thought of is thing of kids and how they lose interest fast when not catching fish. A 3rd rod could help out there also because if a kid is catching something then they are more likely to stay interested in the sport.Lots of positives with this and I do hope it all works out.

Miss murderess how many boilies did you chuck at Cory's head so far? lol
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/28 23:00:50 (permalink)
    I take it this is becoming an arms race for SLCWII (Shawnee Lake Carp War II)...
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2010/01/28 23:03:07

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/01/29 03:29:24 (permalink)

Eww, I hated mine of course I got a cheapo one at Shawnee. Slingshot sends baits futher then that thing.

I got all the different baiting gadgets, but it's hard to beat the Wacker Blaster.  My newest baiting gadget isn't exactly made to be a baiting tool, but works pretty good for makin' ammo for the Wacker Blaster: http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Baller-Snowball-Maker-Colors-Vary/dp/B000II4JJ2/ref=pd_sim_misc_5

Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/02/01 12:15:59 (permalink)
    This is outstanding.  I will make a fortune video taping the repercussions of this on the Erie tribs.  Just think, with the extra rod that means another 5 feet needed per person on the Wall.  Which means at least 20 less people will be able to fish there forcing them to head elsewhere with their antics. 

Not to mention that when a chromer rips the line on one rod, now you will have to reel in two additional rods before you can fight your fish.  When you add the extra time to reel in for each person fishing near you, it's gonna be a blast! 
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/02/01 16:53:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Johnny_Johnson

This is outstanding.  I will make a fortune video taping the repercussions of this on the Erie tribs.  Just think, with the extra rod that means another 5 feet needed per person on the Wall.  Which means at least 20 less people will be able to fish there forcing them to head elsewhere with their antics. 

Not to mention that when a chromer rips the line on one rod, now you will have to reel in two additional rods before you can fight your fish.  When you add the extra time to reel in for each person fishing near you, it's gonna be a blast! 

As has already been  mentioned, should this 3-rod rule change be eventually adopted, it would likely include a provision that would keep the rod limit at 2 for trout-stocked waters (should include the Erie tribs.), so..............

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/02/01 17:37:03 (permalink)
    Yes it would likely be only on non trout approved waters so the busy spots would not become busier.
    Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/02/01 17:52:03 (permalink)
    you will have to forgive my lack of faith in the government......
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: 3 Rods in PA? 2010/02/01 18:07:05 (permalink)
    LOL its ok. That was one of there big concerns was overcrowding and I can see how bad it would be anywhere trout related with 3 rods.I know on the first day here it would be a nightmare. Most non trout approved waters have plenty of place on the banks that would allow this without any issues. ALso like said above guys trolling in boats would like this as well. 2 rods trolling while you cast with another or troll with all 3 if you like.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: