DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 11:04:29 (permalink)
Where I live in central pa is nowhere near any didymo affected water. If a duck was to fly here from the nearest water containing didymo, he would certainly be dried off before he got here.

The only way didymo could make it here today would be through people. It's not unlikely that someone would fish the gunpowder in Maryland and one of the popular creeks in my area within the same weekend . Wading boots don't dry in one days time and could still spread it here after a day or two. A duck, on the other hand is not likely going to visit the gunpowder and the little J in the same day. I guess my point is, if it spreads here today the culprit probably didn't have wings.
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 11:55:23 (permalink)
Drake a good observation but, What if it is a "she" duck was to fly here from the nearest water containing didymo,you think "she" would certainly be dried off before "she" got there?.. My point is nobody should be a culprit for wearing felt boots. If it becomes law, I will have to deal with it. As I stated, I'm using the cleaning precaution
but imho you can not rule out the bird theory..it is a reality of nature. the defense rests!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 19:11:03 (permalink)

Here's some pics of various  stages. As far as wet ducks, it would be nice to think they are dried out when migrate and they land in their next waterway. But these are tiny little critters... Lets hope for the best...

BTW: Since it's in the Delaware River, (upper branches), It's not going to be too long before we get it locally. I guess I'll be bleaching my stuff from when I fish there  from now on...

EDIT: Neat video in this link. http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/didymo.shtml
post edited by Over the Hill - 2009/12/16 19:47:58

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 20:33:22 (permalink)

Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 21:43:11 (permalink)
Interesting site KJ. A lot of info. Nice to see a research study on it.

I wonder if they, manufacturers of felts, ever though of making felts in a more coarse design. Something that disinfectants can penetrate bettter. Or even a felt with a micro fiber that would pierce the cell wall of the algea when walked on.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
RE: DANGER TO PENNSYLVANIA WATERS...DIDYMO 2009/12/16 23:10:28 (permalink)
earlier I was thinking perhaps a petrolium based nano synthetic paint that can be mixed with crushed carbon and solidifies over felt rendering them safe from one celled micro organisms. And maybe even run a 12v circuit down from the waders inside the stockings so when it really looks ugly.. you can fry the living puss our of those minature blobs!

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: