Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/15 12:43:33 (permalink)

Worst day of my life

Yesterday at 8am I shot the biggest 10 point I've ever seen.
At 830 I found a blood trail
At 9 I fell down a hill and managed to get a broadhead (2 Blade Rage) in my thigh.
at 915 I was in the emergency room.

At 12 We resumed out hunt for the deer, trailed started out, with half my arrow 15 yards from where I shot him. Good, Pink blood.
There was a deer running around with half my Arrow in him. Including and expanded Rage 2 blade.

We tracked and the trail went from full blood for about 600 yards, to no blood. We got to a tall grass field, and figured he was in there,
 (Now with the amount of blood, we figured he was dead. I'm talking big, thick, puddles.) As we go to leave at 3pm, I kick him up from where he was bedded. 300 yards from our last blood spot. He ran over a hill, and into a property bordered by a Cliff.

We backed out.

We're going to go today for a last ditch chance. I'm praying he's down. but we did kick him. My only hope is when we kicked him, The arrow inside of him started a blood trail again. Maybe cut something.

Any tips from anyone?

Do deer go to water when they've been running for so long? I'm thinking I 1 lunged him.

39 Replies Related Threads

IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 12:58:33 (permalink)
    Man, that sucks. Hope you find him. One question - how did you get a broadhead in your thigh when you were tracking him? Weren't your arrows in your quiver??
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 12:59:58 (permalink)
    Take your bow with you and if you kick him up again start another blood trail.  Deer will go to water to try and clot the wound.  Often time deer are found dead in creeks or ponds.
    Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 13:00:49 (permalink)
    Wounded deer also take the easiest routes, ie downhill not uphill wide open not thick brush. Good luck!
    bow slinger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 13:05:57 (permalink)
    DB,
    It's been my experience that if you busted him through the lungs, he would or should have never made it that far. If you maybe missed the mark just a little and took him through the liver, he'd travel toward the nearest water source. Often times when you have a semi warm night as we did last night, you will smell him when you get close. Hopefully with the remaining portion of your arrow still inside the cavity (assuming), that would keep the wound channel open. The best of luck to you in recovering him.
    Free Spirit
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 13:35:18 (permalink)
    You should be able to find him. I've killed 8 deer with the Rage head and if you put it in the body cavity he will die. However, muscle hits and shoulder hits are usually non fatal wounds.
    From the sound of it you may have caught one lung. They can take a long time to die. Pick up the trail where you last saw him and come back here with the good news and pics!
    Good luck!

PS....DO NOT take your bow or a gun with you (if in PA). Archery season is closed and there is no Sunday hunting. Carrying a bow while tracking a deer during closed hours or when the season has closed is a HUGE NO NO!
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 14:13:25 (permalink)
    deadbolt do you even know where you hit him? that might help us some..since the arrow was half in it did you see your arrow in him as he ran? generally if you hit a deer in the diaphram and get a pass thru the deer is going to die, if you miss the vitals inside the diaphram the deer will run far and bed down and die, i shot a buck with a gun and missed the lungs and it was a more of a central chest hit(middle of the chest just central part of the deer but still inside the diaphram), but the deer ran most likely 400 yards but that being said i knew where i hit him in my head and did jump him once around the 200 yard mark and backed out for a few hours...and he was bedded stiff about 200 more yards, i smelled him in a buffalo feild and started running in that direction. and the blood was big splashes of pinkred blood and i thought i hit lung as well...

it sounds to me you may have started to track out of your stand way to fast for you not knowing where you hit him...

and it also sounds like he shouldnt be to far from where you jumped him, look in logical places. if you were a deer hurt where would you go? maybe travel down wind and you may smell him hopefully you can find some sign though of him to point you in the direction he went from where you saw him and its possible he might have crashed over the cliff...i really do hope you can recover him
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 14:16:09 (permalink)
    My quiver is broken, and I Was Carrying my bow by the string, with the arrow running parallel to me. I slipped, and my natural reaction was to stop myself from sliding, and It happened so fast. I'm just lucky it wasn't worse.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I have about 6 or so people coming with me. And I've printed out maps for them.

The deer did take every easy path so far, Quad trails and whatnot, He was in a small sliver of woods, right beside the power line. So, my guess is he went down the Power line. But soon enough, the line works to a cliff/steep hill. With a creek at the bottom of it.

God I hope i find him. It's a pain in the****to walk with 5 stitches in your leg. I needed a Tetanus( sp)  shot as well, so it feels like I got beat up.

Here's to hoping.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 14:23:23 (permalink)
    Sorry I thought I included where i hit him.

He was quartering away, And I hit him right behind the front leg, low, with the arrow going towards the deers head. Well not towards it, but towards the front of the deer.

When I shot him, he walked away, stopped, I saw the arrow hanging out of the side. Then he disappeared down the hill. I waited an half an hour or so to get on his blood trail.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 14:48:01 (permalink)
    Hope you find him!!!  
    Free Spirit
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Why are you posting here and not out looking for him? It now sounds like you missed everything vital entirely. A low chest hit that went through the brisket will bleed good and cause him to want to bed but unless you nicked the heart I don't think it will be fatal. Did the arrow have any tallow (fat) or a greasy feel to it? Was there any hollow, white and gray hairs at the hit site? In fact, I'm working on a deer this week that took almost the exact same hit last archery season as what you describe. He was killed the last week of rifle season running and VERY healthy.

Good luck but, personally, I would get off the computer and hit the woods.....NOW.
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 17:26:41 (permalink)
    bet you'll buy a quiver now.... 20$ at gander M.... good luck

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 18:29:05 (permalink)
    I was out this afternoon with some friends. Scanned a whole hillside. Got dark.

Will be out tomorrow. I can't really walk fast/far/long periods of time. My leg has stitches in it, and it hurts every step so.

We'll see.

Free, the arrow Broke. The half I found had no greasy feel or anything. I Found no hairs near the Arrow, just some good blood. Bright vibrant red almost pink.

Will be out tomorrow. Thanks for the tips guys.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 19:10:05 (permalink)
    Not to be a smart arse Rpgyard But the statement could not be farther the truth. I have shot numerous deer and all with vital shot placements and ran straight up hill then threw the thickest brush you could imagine.I have had a buck run  with my arrow sticking out of him and actually watch him kick and break the arrow off and then kick mud into the wound.Then  Finding him in some nasty brush after waiting a hour or so. The water is a great place to look after a liver/gut shot. But if quartering away and hit on a hard angle right before the shoulder the deer could live a long life. Bolt I hope you find your deer. It is a very tough hit a deer and not find him. I have been there much like most archer's

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 20:08:50 (permalink)
    bighead 90 times out of 100 a deer will go down hill unless its forced not saying by you...force by the land structure itself. say your hunting a timbered woods on a slight incline and the deer come up from the bottom to you and the trails weasel threw blow downs and you shoot the deer with its head forward 9 times outta 10 i'll bet you the deer will continue to go forward and not turn around..but after saying its still "running" i'll bet he'll take easier paths. it depends on where your hunting. the buck i got this year went threw a hell hole all down hill, briared timbered woods with those bushes with the red berries too, but he took the easiest way threw it, most ppl wouldnt think so but he did, crashing threw blow downs and weasel trails that no one can get threw but a deer to get to the drag road on the other side.. not saying freak things dont happen but its very rare..
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 20:21:08 (permalink)
    Deadbolt, best of luck to you, I hope you find him.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/15 23:45:47 (permalink)
    Keep looking and good luck.

I'm wondering how you stick yourself at 9 and you are in the hospital at 9:15. You must have been hunting right next to the hospital. If so, that worked out well.

I'd be more inclined to think the deer went downhill and to water, but I guess anything could happen.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/16 02:39:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Keep looking and good luck.

I'm wondering how you stick yourself at 9 and you are in the hospital at 9:15. You must have been hunting right next to the hospital. If so, that worked out well.

I'd be more inclined to think the deer went downhill and to water, but I guess anything could happen.

I was 10 minutes from the hospital. I had on Thermals underneath, so the drive was a quick one.

I'll be out tomorrow to scour the thickest part we came to today, where we called it quits.
    Martin Shooter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/16 20:39:52 (permalink)
    I agree with Bighead's post....i've been through some thick **** **** tracking deer before, through stuff i could barely even manage to get through. Go out and find him instead of spending all your time looking for tips and hints on how to track a deer, go learn how to...looking for 2 or 3 hours isn't gonna cut it...just my two cents
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 13:20:42 (permalink)

Looked for a few hours yesterday while I could. Brought 2 buddies with me, and we pushed through the thickest brush we could find. Found a Nice 8pt Skeleton, and some white Hairs really deep in there, but nothing other than that. Goin out tomorrow to look again.

Thanks for those of who who offered help. I know it's crazy of me to come to an internet message board and ask for tips.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 13:56:21 (permalink)
    I don't think it's crazy for you to ask for tips at all.   If you woulda done it in the first place and stated the arrow went in quartering away just behind the shoulder, someone probably would have told you back out right there without tracking because your arrow likely entered the chest in front of the goodie box.   Not sure where you aimed but on quartering away, aim for the opposite leg, not the near leg.   If you hit the esophagus, he probably will not survive.   If you didn't, he may have a long death.. or struggle the rest of his life.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 14:40:45 (permalink)
    Boy SK you sure know how to make a guy feel better!!!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 14:43:52 (permalink)
    My intentions are not to make someone feel warm and fuzzy, noplace.  From the story DB is telling, that's likely the reality of it.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 15:51:47 (permalink)
    should have gotten a dog, they would have found it....any beagle,lab, mutt...watch for buzzards,crows,ravens..
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 17:00:50 (permalink)
    SK, you are right but it takes a long time to forget a bad shot. Luckly I have very few bad memories!!
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 21:21:37 (permalink)
    I appreciate your post Silver. I'm a realist. I'm just in my 1st full bow season, and 3rd hunting season. I'm still learning the ropes. Unfortunately, it's looking sour. I'll be out tomorrow before work. I've searched a huge area, with different people. Got one last place to search.

All the property owners know my situation, and all have my phone number to give me a call if ANYTHING comes up, be it Crow/Coyotes, or they may find him.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/17 21:47:22 (permalink)
    Good luck DB and sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I truly hope you find your buck, if nothing else you will at least gain some peace of mind from it.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/18 06:07:41 (permalink)
    See Lifter thats where your wrong almost every deer I have Harvested which is  over fifty. Over 90% of them went straight as headed and circled back to where they bed.  When the shot placement was not prefect and some that were. Well sure I have had a lot of them drop on the spot or even go a few to a couple hundred yards and expired. And yes I have had made some bad shots and they went for the water. But for the most part they will head to where they bed. But I have had a few go down hill/easy way of the terrain not many. Maybe I have bad luck and track up hill and through the nasty brush much like very thing I do.  LOL
    woodcock43
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/18 09:05:31 (permalink)
    Hey Deadbolt I have heard of almost the same story local  .  That someone fell on a broken arrow while they were tracking a big ten point  Then having to go to the er..I know you fell on an arrow you were carrying not a broken one .. But I was just wondering if it was the same story that just got switched around a bit ..Were you hunting in the Ohio Twp. area in Allegheny county ..I was just curious
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: Worst day of my life 2009/11/18 10:07:39 (permalink)
    since this was "the worst day of my life" thread i was referring to the deer that are wounded. i've always tended to notice the "half moon" type run in all the deer that seem to die with in 250 yards or so.. i guess when you hunt "flat ground" you wouldnt notice to much of running down hill. when i say down hill its usually more of a 50 degree angle down hill..with all my OWN deer that i've harvest which isnt to far from you..right around the 40 marker, and plus helping my dad and my friends my experciences taught me a injured, wounded, deformed leggeded deer doesnt make it hard for him or herself to go up a hill. a running dead deer doesnt really care where its going, half the time i think they are running blind and going by instinct and go into the thick shi-t.
    post edited by Bull Lifter - 2009/11/18 10:10:40
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: