Monster Buck Kyle lake

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 12:50:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

The face on the buck is awesome. Dandy brow tines.

is that the spread can only be counted up to the length of the main beams.   I'm not sure if it's the shorter beam or the longest... I'm thinking the shorter.  

It's the longer of the two main beams that spread cannot exceed.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 13:07:19 (permalink)
Good to know Kype, did not realize....Why do ya suppose that is? Do they figure if the spread's wider than the longest beam, it must be some sort of freak or deformity??

Also, what's your* guess on the age / how old does a buck need to be before his rack starts going downhill?

* (or anyone else with some knowledge on old bucks)
post edited by Pork - 2009/10/23 13:14:58

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 13:28:53 (permalink)
I don't have an explaination why P & Y do that.   When bucks get really wide like that, they tend to lose symmetry... look at the difference in the g2's.   P & Y use the term "perfect score" a lot.   Guess they don't want a buck without perfect symmetry to hold the record.   A buddy of mine shot a split brow tine 11 point two years ago that had a 26.5 inch inside spread.  But it was considered to be 2.5 years old.. not much mass.  It was definitely a freak... but certainly unique.

That particular buck above looks like his body was headed downhill.  Look at all the flabbly skin.   If it was December, maybe I'd think it was just normal.  Good someone got him instead of mother nature.

I'd say bucks peak at 4.5 - 5.5, maybe 6.5.  Some say 4.5 - 8.5.    Feed and social structure probably has alot to do with it.  Maybe even genetics.  Do some humans have heart attacks at an earlier age than others?  Some don't at all.. genes probably play a role.   Probably different in different areas of the country ?   Most agree 4.5 is the beginning of max potential. 

I pay close attention to P & Y because I think it's neat, but it reality, I could give a rats what a deer scores..   I do like to use it as an indicator for size among discussions.   I think that's what is so fascinating about whitetails... no rack is ever exactly the same.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 15:05:12 (permalink)
Having the trail cam pics is awesome...
That buck is a bruiser in anybodies book....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 16:38:45 (permalink)
Why all the dicussion about the possibility of it being a P and Y deer. Pope and Young does not consider it to be an archery killed deer; period!! Pork; if you are posting pics of some-one else's deer, I hope you know this hunter or have permission to do so. Let him defend himself if need be. I asked a logial question about the fact the pic was taken after it was dark. Doc made a statement that it was shot in the morning and the deer was found shortly. Not questioning his ethics or where it was shot; just the fact that if other people have their facts straight, there will be questions. As for the X-bow comment; I agree with PopeandYoung.
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 16:54:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: henhouse

Why all the dicussion about the possibility of it being a P and Y deer. Pope and Young does not consider it to be an archery killed deer; period!! Pork; if you are posting pics of some-one else's deer, I hope you know this hunter or have permission to do so. Let him defend himself if need be. I asked a logial question about the fact the pic was taken after it was dark. Doc made a statement that it was shot in the morning and the deer was found shortly. Not questioning his ethics or where it was shot; just the fact that if other people have their facts straight, there will be questions. As for the X-bow comment; I agree with PopeandYoung.

Look dude, 270 had the pics and didn't know how to post them from what I gathered...so I had him email them to me so I could help him out. Figured evreyone would like to see a nice buck, not play internet****Tracey. Had no idea what a firestorm was about to erupt. Did not realize some of you 'true' archery guys would take suck offense at a Xbow hunter getting a nice buck.?? Jealous much? Guess I should have expected it, don't worry...lesson learned.

No, I don't know the hunter, this is why I apologized and took the pics down. Simple as that. Sorry this isn't ok with you.??

As for the crossbow comment, I couldn't care less. He could have shot it with a recurve, compound, xbow, smokestick, inline, rifle, handgun, for all I care...and I'd still be happy for him & give a solid congrats on one fine dead buck.

Sorry you don't feel the same & have some strong urge to discredit someone elses accomplishment.

Have a nice weekend.
post edited by Pork - 2009/10/23 16:56:35

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
Rpgyard
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 17:20:41 (permalink)
Well as long as we are discrediting things here...What about the trail cam pics that appear to have the deer feeding there less than 2 months before the season.  Was this deer baited?
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 17:40:40 (permalink)
hen house, the picture was mailed to me from a buddie in new york, its public record once he put it out there..pork did it for me, whats the big deal?????   
270wbmag
Expert Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 17:43:54 (permalink)
another thing, Dr. trout also put a picture on here, why don't you say something to him????  give pork a break, he did nothing but voice his opinion..no such thing as privacy act with a picture that he wanted everyone to see..he took it and emailed it to someone in ny..
BenC
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 17:59:59 (permalink)
I wasnt questioning the kill because it was an xbow kill; although I do agree with the PandY philosophy regarding them.

My point was that in the one pic, the buck looks like it is stiff as a board: the head was in an upright position on its own. So, it was either still alive, or found a day or more after it died.

Also, I've looked at 100s of buck pics and I have never seen someone deliberately burry a buck in leaves to take the picture.

These two points raised some questions in my mind as to whether it was a legit story. Why do I care? Because its a monster and a potential state record. Sorry, but I've seen too many monster buck hoaxes online that I am now a skeptic. I'll be happy if everything turns out be legit, its a great Pa deer.
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 20:36:26 (permalink)
Pork and 270; Not trying to discredit the hunter or the deer. Just the fact that people who don't really know the facts or the hunter have taken it upon themselves to spread the picture and the story of the hunt. I agree with Ben about too many hoax's. It makes us all a little skeptical when we hear of any record class deer being taken. I've never been jealous of another man's glory; but I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be something that is not on the up and up.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/23 21:08:35 (permalink)
MY BAD.. sorry....

I should not have wrote opening morning... I should have wrote opening day or  1st day of archery
as I did elsewhere...because it is dark in the one photo I guess it was an evening hunt... the whole story will be out eventually..

I know OF THE GUY... but not personally .. the info I was given about the hunt and the deer was received from friends of his and co-workers..

I know there are alot of hoaxes out there .. balloon boy comes to mind.. but I DO NOT believe this is ANYTHING BUT THE TRUTH.......

and I do not know about anyone else.. but I have seen photos of leaves hiding the "gut cut" before
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 13:12:28 (permalink)
speaking of hoaxes, did anyone else get the text msg about a big buck being shot around greenville? any truth to it?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 15:29:41 (permalink)
The one picture that was there does look suspicius. The deers head is held up on it's own..
How come you pulled that head shot from the other sight doc ??
I notice you only pulled that one..
Probably a legit kill, my guess is it must have taken a while to find it.

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 16:16:38 (permalink)
WRT pork's inquiry about age and horn size... generally the buck will peak at age 6 and go downhill thereafter, and it does depend on diet as to the +/- from age 6. friends of mine with deer farms see the best antlers at year 5 and 6, although if you get a good gene pool buck... you'll get a decent first rack, large 2nd rack and a rack with a lot of size and character the 3rd year...continuing all the way to the peak age as long as the deer remains healthy.
16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 17:44:24 (permalink)
i believe the pic! theres big ones like that out there- trust me!
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 17:50:27 (permalink)
""How come you pulled that head shot from the other sight doc ??""
That "head shot" was not one of the photos I received in an E-mail...
so I could not post it.. I never had it to post..

I only posted the photos I received in E-mails...

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 18:02:58 (permalink)
AS luck would have it look who stopped in the store today....  so I got all the info on this buck FIRST HAND from the shooter and his okay to post this info...

Buck green scored ---
181 7/8  = gross
171 2/8 = net
brow tines were 9 1/2 and 9 5/8 long

He had been watching this buck all summer and did shoot it with an excaliber crossbow Saturday morning. He was not positive of the shot "the bolt travelled so fast".. rather than push the deer he backed out and returned in the afternoon. He found the deer and  field dressed it,  he was by himself and figured he could not get it out by himself so he took photos and returned with friends Sunday morning to get the deer out of the woods...
Seems like a very nice guy so I treated him his wife and son to ice cream cones !!!

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/25 21:13:49 (permalink)
He left that buck lay in the woods all night after taking a couple photos ??

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 02:47:21 (permalink)
Yes he left the buck in the woods over night after it was field dressed....

He told me he returned Sunday morning with help to get the deer out of the woods.. the photos are taken when it is dark.. so it was either Saturday night when he found and dressed the deer or they returned in the dark Sunday morning ???? 

I know the deer was dressed out in the photo because he told me Excaliber suggested the leaves to cover the belly cut and any blood be not visable and no tongue hanging out so they could use the photo in there publicity..

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/26 03:52:56
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 06:24:14 (permalink)
So he was already talking to gear sponsors before the deer was even out of the woods??
When did he call them before or after he found the deer? Sounds kinda hinky Doc..
I've seen you ride young hunters for not getting there deer out of the woods quick enough, said they shouldn't be on The internet talking about it instead of trying to find it..  When all they were doing was asking for help..
What do you think of this Doc..

If I had that deer down in the woods prority number one would be to get it out...
He's **** lucky the coyotes didn't find it...

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 09:06:42 (permalink)
If you would only read what I write and quit putting YOUR words/thoughts into my post everyone would be better off....

just as you wrote ---""talking about it instead of trying to find it"""

Big difference in - if you know the deer is dead and where it is at  -- and typing not knowing where or what the story is ....don't ya think ?????

I was complaining about folks sitting at home typing on their computers and not looking for a deer they hit but had not found  yet ----

READ.... TOM knew where the dead deer was... he could not get it out himself... so he waited until morning...

maybe he had to work Saturday night.. you don't know ......... you're just jealous and bashing the story because you don't have a better one to share ...

I'll be spending some time this afternoon with Tom and I'll try to get some more details on the overnight thing.. not that it is such a big deal with me or the folks on my borad just you doubters and jealous folks over here......... 
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 12:37:15 (permalink)
Thats a great buck but im gonna agree with a few things thats been said

1: ive never seen any deer look that way, its face just looks BLAH
2: if i shot a buck like that, id find someone, anyone to get that deer out of the woods
3: why on earth would you go home and call up the crossbow manufacturer for picture tips

I dont think anyone has a hard time admitting rackwise that is the buck of a lifetime. The story is just a little whacky.
270wbmag
Expert Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 13:58:41 (permalink)
hard to believe:::  going with trout on this one...

responce to jlh...1.  what is a dead deer supposed to look like?????
                       2.  How many guys could get a deer of this size out of the woods by themselves??????  not many if any....some big young guy.
                       3..why not call all the people you can if you shot a monster like that...
                       I feel he did it all right, left it go, to insure no pushing it and not finding it....cool enough at night after gutting that it wouldn't spoil, who's going to find it at night..went and got helpnext day..what would you do??????..

leave the guy alone...jealous maybe????
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 14:02:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Excaliber suggested the leaves to cover the belly cut and any blood be not visable and no tongue hanging out so they could use the photo in there publicity..

Sounds like the deer may have been left overnight, to get some tips for an exceptable photo...   If this is true, well... I'm gonna stop there for now..

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 14:12:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: 270wbmag

hard to believe:::  going with trout on this one...

responce to jlh...1.  what is a dead deer supposed to look like?????
                      2.  How many guys could get a deer of this size out of the woods by themselves??????  not many if any....some big young guy.
                      3..why not call all the people you can if you shot a monster like that...
                      I feel he did it all right, left it go, to insure no pushing it and not finding it....cool enough at night after gutting that it wouldn't spoil, who's going to find it at night..went and got helpnext day..what would you do??????..

leave the guy alone...jealous maybe????

1: Not like a walking piece of rotting flesh, have you ever seen a deer look like that?
2: Theres ways to get big deer out of the woods... carts, quarter it... not rocket science
3: THE LAST person on my list would be the weapon manufacturer. Pretty sure id call every single person whom is a friend or family memeber. Id have 20 guys out there, prob wouldnt even get to drag it. Its called GOOD FRIENDS. I guarentee you if my day ever comes for this I aint calling martin/bowtech/mathews, whomever.

As to your comment about being jealous, far from it. I admitted not once but twice thats an amazing rack on a buck. I didnt come up with any of the theories posted here so you can credit others for that. I am just confirming that I think its a little weird. This is the internet, not fairytale land. I think ive seen 2 bucks at least all ready this season proven to be a hoax. Every other week its a mountain lion. Sorry im not as naive as most people.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 14:31:46 (permalink)
the "black" around the eyes does seem weird, i've left deer over night or what not and its not "black" around the eyes like that, the eyes are more sunk in then anything but not quite black. it looks like charcoal all over his face. and what will everyone say to that? i'll do it for you "oh thats just an old deer" "most mature bucks are dark" yes darker not black.

and i certainly wouldnt leave it over night, if you found it, gutted it..okay he MAY had to work or whatever...but im sure that guy coulda drug that deer to his truck? i'd assume and get it in... i know my dad is older then he is and he's done it before.

The Deer is huge can't take that away, the story seems alittle off...i know myself and 99% everyone else if they gutted and found the deer, it wouldnt just lay in the woods all night for a photo. specially a deer of that caliber. and instead of continuing this comment...im just stopping with that, and getting off this computer. good bye.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 14:34:12 (permalink)
First of all that is a beatiful buck and any hunter would be proud to be holding his head up, but....

I agree with JLH, I have never seen a deer that looked like that with the exception of some roadkills. Maybe the deer was in a fist fight earlier?

IMO if your are going to hunt deer, you should always be prepared for the harvest. You owe it to the animal to recover and process the deer as soon as possible. You should be prepared so if you do harvest a deer, you have a means to get it out (regardless of size). There is no point in shooting a deer if you know initially you won't be able to get the deer out in a prompt manner.

It seems like he should have spent his time trying to find a way to get the deer out of the woods instead of calling the crossgun company to help with posing for the camera.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 14:34:29 (permalink)
oh wait haha, i just saw griffons deer, now thats a next morning picture....refer to that picture and look at the eyes.
and that "nice" guy Trout, doesnt even smile in one of the pictures that are coming threw on my computer, shot a 181? and hes not smiling? what too "stunned" and on cloud 9 to know what happened? right.
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Monster Buck Kyle lake 2009/10/26 15:09:20 (permalink)
That is one big buck.
post edited by CrossForkWookie - 2009/10/27 10:40:52
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: