So, how was opening morning?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Reward points: 0
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 18:02:04 (permalink)
I saw 10 big dead bucks, all killed with crossbows, 24 does killed with crossbows, and dr. trout in handcuffs for hunting without a furtakers license and his gun.."only joking" rode the backroads up here for 2 hours and only seen a vehicle every 10 miles, no hunters in elk/clearfield county anymore..never heard a shot..never seen a deer along the road..
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 18:15:04 (permalink)
full moon combined with weather hurt activity.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Martin Shooter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 19:55:55 (permalink)
My archery season started out great! As soon as I climbed up my tree and put my safety harness on and pulled my bow up, I dropped my release . I already knew what kind of day this would be. Visibility was limited to about 30 yards, and only saw one tail flickering below me all morning. Being that I only got an hour and a half of sleep the night before I figured I'd take a nap and go out with my buddy about 2 30. I awoke to him standing in my bedroom at 4, with a bunch of missed calls on my phone. So off speedracing I went. Luckily I don't live too far from where I hunt and was in the woods by 4 30. Ended up seeing at least 20 does and one little guy, maybe a 3 or 4? Ended up getting busted by a doe that was on the other side of me as I was gonna shoot another doe. So needless to say, I've had better days. Didn't hear of many being shot...
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 20:20:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Kishwaa..

Congrats on a great buck.. I like the velvet , are you getting it mounted that way ????

can they even do it that way or would it fall off in time ???

Did you even read his post ???
Or do we just do pictures ?

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 20:41:36 (permalink)
Saw 3 does and a scrubby 5pt in the am.  In the evening I saw another 3 does. 

I was walking into my evening stand around 3:30 and I noticed a Chevy Blazer parked in the middle of the trail I take in.  Here is a guy hanging a stand, with all the doors open in his truck, blasting friggen music!!!  I can't not even begin to imagine what goes through some of these peoples minds.  First of all, he drove, without permission onto private(not posted) property right through the woods.  It is not like it is even far to where you are supposed to park, maybe around 1/4 mile.  Secondly, what possesses someone(a hunter?) to blast music in the middle of the woods on the first day of archery?

People suck, I am looking for a lease next year.  I can't deal with these asshats any longer.
jrm45
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 284
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/04 21:23:01 (permalink)
the evening didn't go much better for me. As i got to my stand, some asshat was putting one up about 15 yards away. he walked right by mine, and managed to drop an empty pepsi can right next to my ladder while he was at it.. i asked if he saw my stand and he goes "yea, but i didnt think abyone use it, i was going to pick up the can when i left for the night". at that point i left for another stand. i will be there tomorrow at noon to take that one down. some people are just assbags... at my other stand, saw 1 doe all evening. hopefully the rain stops soon so they will be active for tomorrow morning.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 00:38:39 (permalink)

Did not even see the "nah"  .....

even made the mistake of showing it to some folks at work today thinking he actually shot that buck...

IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 11:03:53 (permalink)
I had a few deer moving around behind me before light then a little scrubby 6 point came in right under me. Broadside at about 5 yards and off he went.

Didn't see a deer in the afternoon hunt.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 12:10:23 (permalink)
The wind was wrong in the a.m. so we went to another area I wanted to hunt in the evening, for the morning.  I wasn't particularly excited about hunting the area at all, before the leaves are still on the trees.  I had one lane I could see about 25 yards and the rest was less than 10.   I heard a few sticks breaking just outside visual.   Buddy nipped (I am assuming) a 6 point at 10:35.   His arrow had little blood and smelled like skin.  We had drops of blood for about 400 yards.   I had asked him for 3 weeks if he wanted to shoot his broadheads preseason ... he never did.   Can't MAKE people do it..  maybe he should start shooting mechnials ..  maybe I'll just start setting him up in retarded spots so he doesn't get opportunities.   I don't know, I strongly suspect the buck will be fine... but it still ****es me off.  Got the target out at noon, he was shooting 6 inches low.   Same thing happened to him last year on a 10 point..  shooting 1.5 feet high.  His sight was good at the beginning of the season, never shot it again, until after the miss.   Hope yinz shoot once or so a week.   Your bows take lots of banging and battering throughout the season. 

Anyway, interesting .. a buck moving crosswind at 10:30... some say the full moon creates midday activity. I see most archers out of the woods by 10:15.   All I know is that the fish are in the water.

Coyote came through at about 6:00 for the evening hunt.   None of us seen a thing.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 15:52:38 (permalink)

Did you even read his post ???
Or do we just do pictures ?

I was wonderin who would say it

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 15:55:52 (permalink)
Noon was a major activity period for saturday. Combine that with the weather breaking and the moon coming out at 2 in the morning, and I think it made for sleepy, full deer come daylight. I imagine there was some activity around noon.

16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 16:54:09 (permalink)
if that was my buddy id be askn him what the hell his problem is and sure the hell wouldnt be bringn him along where i hunt...just me
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 17:18:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Buddy nipped (I am assuming) a 6 point at 10:35.   His arrow had little blood and smelled like skin.  We had drops of blood for about 400 yards.   I had asked him for 3 weeks if he wanted to shoot his broadheads preseason ... he never did.   Can't MAKE people do it..  maybe he should start shooting mechnials .. 

That's why I switched to Rage's....I couldn't get the muzzy's to pattern and just didn't have the confidence in them that one should have....

16506fish
Expert Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 17:54:29 (permalink)
i dont know if the type of broadhead had as much to do with it as just not being lazy and practicing b4 season and having some morals... i would think everyone would shoot their broadheads b4 season to see how they fly but i guess theres asshats out there that dont... instead of him going out and buying mech. broadheads, maybe suggest to him to get off his****and buy a target and practice..
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 19:45:10 (permalink)
I feel for you guys who had your hunts ruined by jack arses.  Nothing feels worse than 9 months of waiting for opening day only to have that happen.

Some of my spots down on the river flats butt up against game lands.  That is precisely why I don't archery hunt down there on Saturdays.

When my hunts get ruined it's usually the gas well workers pumping off the wells.  The deer don't seem to mind too much, but it's enough to get them to avoid the area for a while. Sucks when you're already up in your tree and committed though.  They don't operate on any kind of schedule so each time it's rolling the dice.

heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 19:51:40 (permalink)
expanding broadheads... shoot like a field point... cut a 2.5-2.75" hole through the deer. my dad has never lost a deer with these things with his compound bow. there's nothing "mechanical" other than the blades pivoting at the base of the head, they're held in place with a small rubber o-ring that slides off when it hits the deer. some companies offer a free set if you shoot a deer with their tips and take a picture of the broadhead and the hole in the deer. look up Vortex
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 22:32:29 (permalink)
Once again, I give thanks that I don't have to deal with the arsehats. I probably have not seen another hunter in archery season in the past 4 years. Not bragging, The farms I hunt are open to public hunting and one borders game lands. But I guess that is one thing I look for in spots too, the lack of other hunters that is...

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/05 23:42:31 (permalink)
I would be braggin if I were in your shoes MM!!

I would love to have a Saturday hunt not interrupted by some idiot. 

To make matters worse, I recently lost access to two of my other areas which I have hunted for years.  Both of the properties were bought by a gas company.  It is getting harder and harder to find new places to hunt down here in 2B. 

There are several smaller properties where I am supposed to be one of three archers with permission, pressure seems worse there than the private non-posted land I hunt.  I know the others who have permission to be there, I am not running into them.  People don't seem to care whos property there on, regardless of whether it is posted or not.  The property owners told me to avoid confrontation with these people since they don't want to deal with the aggravation!!  I can't win!!! 
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 00:54:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: 16506fish

i dont know if the type of broadhead had as much to do with it as just not being lazy and practicing b4 season and having some morals... i would think everyone would shoot their broadheads b4 season to see how they fly but i guess theres asshats out there that dont... instead of him going out and buying mech. broadheads, maybe suggest to him to get off his****and buy a target and practice..

Agreed......Practice Practice Practice...If you are not confident in the your shooting ablilities you shouldn't be in the woods...I can say, I have to feel confident in the shot, if I don't, I don't take it....I have never lost a deer that I have hit in Archery Season...I lost a doe in Rifle a few years back..It was shot about 500 yards from where I hit her...I hit her to far back...

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 07:45:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Buddy nipped (I am assuming) a 6 point at 10:35.   His arrow had little blood and smelled like skin.  We had drops of blood for about 400 yards.   I had asked him for 3 weeks if he wanted to shoot his broadheads preseason ... he never did.   Can't MAKE people do it..  maybe he should start shooting mechnials .. 

That's why I switched to Rage's....I couldn't get the muzzy's to pattern and just didn't have the confidence in them that one should have....

Oh he got them to pattern, after the hunt.   Like i said, can't force people to do things.   I can only provide encouragement and I did that for weeks before the opener.  Thought he woulda learned from the previous experience.   I mean, why even take your bow, just go sit in a tree or something.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 07:47:04 (permalink)

yer right, no doubt about it.

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 08:16:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

Agreed......Practice Practice Practice...If you are not confident in the your shooting ablilities you shouldn't be in the woods...I can say, I have to feel confident in the shot, if I don't, I don't take it....I have never lost a deer that I have hit in Archery Season...I lost a doe in Rifle a few years back..It was shot about 500 yards from where I hit her...I hit her to far back...

totally agreed.  Archery is a bit of a mind game, and it is extremely important to have total confidence in your shot before taking it.  Often when people who probably can make the shot, but who feel so-so about it, will screw it up by trying to pull down and see where it went before it leaves the bow completely. 

I read an article in F&S or Outdoor Life a few months ago where the writer was comparing shooting clays to the book "The Zen of Golf."   I think it could be compared and translated to about any type of shooting, and this definitely includes archery practice, and the shot taken on a deer.  If you aren't getting into the zone, channeling the excitement, then try.

I also like to do about a minute worth of jumping jacks, or some mat drills before I shoot.  Gives you an idea of what you will shoot like if your heart beating a little faster then normal.

As far as the first day goes, saw some does, but overall, I think they went to bed early and came back out late. 

I really am sorry that so many of you had your first day screwed up by some idiots.  That makes me sick to hear that all that work went down the crapper.  I've luckily never had o hunt public property in deer season, but I know how bad it can get in the late rabbit season, so I can only try to fathom what you guys go through in deer season!
16506fish
Expert Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 10:13:21 (permalink)
2 dogs got very lucky with their lives this morning!! saw 4 deer when i pulled in- no deer to be seen while on stand... perfect morning too... i gota believe that Full harvest moon got something to do with things... packed things up and started down the tree and dont 2 dogs(muts) come right by me.. growln and ****... then they just ran across gas line and never saw em again... no collars on them and there arent any houses close to me- fair game in my book!
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 11:04:45 (permalink)
^ Not fair game in the LAW book 16506.

You sure seem to be all about shooting dogs??? 2nd or 3rd similar post I've read from you.

Check page 31 of your digest...I'll skip to the good part for you:

"It is unlawful for dogs to chase or pursue big game, but hunters may only shoot dogs if they are actually in the act of attacking a big game animal."

Now, I'm not defending feral dogs here...and I don't let my beagle run once deer season gets here. But if something happened she slipped past me at feeding time & went out & got stuck with an arrow...I'd be irate. And the person who stuck her would've been breaking the law.

Also, I've never seen the dog that could catch a deer, so saying "it was in the act of attacking a big game animal" would be a bit of a stretch.

Just something to think about.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 12:23:39 (permalink)
Pork,  I am not defending anyone here, but rest assured dogs can and will take down a deer if the conditions are right.  Early in the year, dogs are tough on young deer.  Also, late in the year if there is a deep snow with a crust, a pack of dogs can be extremely efficient at running down a deer.  The deer will break through the crust and tire a lot faster than the dog which will run right across the surface.  Growing up in farm country of upstate NY, we had several packs of feral dogs that would run the hills and they were seen taking down deer many times.  This time of year though, unless the deer is already injured or sick, it will be doubtful that it could be caught by dogs (although coyotes seem to be pretty successful at it).
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 12:50:14 (permalink)
Agreed. And sorry to jack the thread, just wanted to point out what the law was on it. Back to opening morning.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 14:18:02 (permalink)
Man, All this talk of shooting dogs. Really? You'd shoot a dog, even with a collar on? Someone's pet?

That's brutal man.

Went out yesterday, saw a zillion and 1 turkeys. Nota single deer!
IUP30
Expert Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 15:02:56 (permalink)
For real? Shooting dogs??? And sometimes we hunters wonder why we get a bad rap... some fool shoots someone's pet and it reflects on ALL hunters.

Even if I saw a pack of feral dogs chasing a deer, as long as they weren't endangering me or some other human, I'd let them be. I mean are you really that needy to kill a dog in the woods, just so you think you have a better chance at killing a deer???

Go lobby for PA to enact a law for every car to be bubble-wrapped and padded so we don't kill deer any on the roads too. That should up your odds...
IUP30
Expert Angler
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 15:03:49 (permalink)
For real? Shooting dogs??? And sometimes we hunters wonder why we get a bad rap... some fool shoots someone's pet and it reflects on ALL hunters.

Even if I saw a pack of feral dogs chasing a deer, as long as they weren't endangering me or some other human, I'd let them be. I mean are you really that needy to kill a dog in the woods, just so you think you have a better chance at killing a deer???

Go lobby for PA to enact a law for every car to be bubble-wrapped and padded so we don't kill deer any on the roads too. That should up your odds...
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: So, how was opening morning? 2009/10/06 15:12:54 (permalink)
Ask a farmer with livestock what he thinks about feral dogs?  Go to a state where dogs are used in packs to hunt deer in the swamps.  A lot of those curs get loose and roam in packs.  People are not safe, nor are pets.  Wild dogs are no better than wild cats and do not belong.  I can tell you that if you hunt a farm with wild dogs and the farmer specifically asks you to eliminate them... you will lose permission immediately if you pass them up and word gets back. 

Now someone's pet, that is a different situation.  I am a huge dog person. Raising bird dogs has been a tradition in my family for over 50 years, so I certainly understand what you are saying and I would be furious if someone busted my dog because he happened to get loose or lost. 
post edited by griffon - 2009/10/06 15:33:22
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to: